Chapter 10

Pretend

Taeyeon slowly withdrew from Yoona's hug before hastily wiping off the streaks of tears on her face. "Unnie is really thankful to you, Yoona-ah." Taeyeon gave a small but genuine smile to Yoona.

"Are you okay now, unnie?" Yoona looked at Taeyeon with concern.

"I'm much better thanks to you." Taeyeon gently patted Yoona's head before getting up. "We should get going now before the sky turns dark."

"Unnie, do you like Tiffany unnie that much?" Yoona asked as she and Taeyeon walked side by side towards the direction of their homes.

Taeyeon looked at Yoona, surprised by Yoona's sudden question. "I don't know..."

Yoona stopped in her tracks as her mind processed Taeyeon's unexpected answer. "What?"

"I care a lot about Tiffany. I like her... more than just a friend. But..." Yoona waited in anticipation for Taeyeon's next words. "Lately, I feel so... I don't know how to explain that feeling. Sometimes, I feel happy around her, thinking I should treasure this once in a lifetime opportunity. Sometimes, I feel so angry at her, angry at how she could make use of our friendship like that."

Taeyeon could feel herself just about to cry again. Yoona stepped forward and once again wrapped her arms around Taeyeon. "I'm sorry, unnie. I shouldn't have asked you." Yoona soothingly rubbed Taeyeon's back.

 

"What the hell happened to you?" Sunny asked worriedly when she saw Taeyeon's bandaged hands and red, puffy eyes. "Did you get into a fight or something?"

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. "Do you think I'm a gangster or something? And besides, I think I'll be in a much worse state if I got into a fight."

"That's true... So what happened?" But before Taeyeon could even say a single word, she spotted Yoona running towards her and she smiled widely at Yoona, showing her chin dimple.

Sunny looked at Taeyeon in confusion. "Why is she smiling like that? She hasn't smiled like that in so long."

"Are you much better already, unnie? Do your hands still hurt? Did you cry anymore after you got home?" Sunny turned around to find a very concerned Yoona.

"Why do you have so many questions, Im Yoona?" Taeyeon jokingly asked. "I'm much better because of you. My hands don't hurt as much anymore. And I didn't cry."

"That's good, unnie." Yoona gave a relieved smile.

"WHAT THE FXXK IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW?! DID THEY MAKE PROGRESS WITHOUT US EVEN DOING ANYTHING?" Sunny looked at the two smiling idiots and cleared . "Ummmm... So are you two going to tell me what happened?"

Yoona looked at Taeyeon, knowing that Taeyeon did not want the rest of them to know. When Taeyeon did not say anything, Yoona took things into her own hands. "That's a secret between me and Taeyeon unnie that you'll never ever know."

"What?! Taeyeon looks like she got into a fight and she had been crying. What kind of secret is that?" Sunny looked at them incredulously.

Yoona shrugged. "You'll never know the answer to that."

The three were enjoying their silly conversation until someone ran towards Taeyeon and grabbed her hands. "What happened to you? Where did you go yesterday?"

"I'm fine, Fany-ah. I just accidentally hurt my hands." Taeyeon gave Tiffany an assuring smile.

"Accident? Seriously? Kim Taeyeon, I'm sure you can do better than that. Anyone with two eyes can see that it's not accidental." Sunny laughed at Taeyeon's ridiculous statement in her head.

Tiffany frowned. "What were you doing? How did you hurt yourself?"

Taeyeon sent her two friends a pleading look but before anyone could say anything, the school bell rang. "Saved by the bell." Taeyeon sighed in relief.

Tiffany gave Taeyeon a look that said "I'm not done with you yet."