Chapter 5

Pretend

"Tae, are you hiding something from me?"

"No. What makes you think I am?"

"You are behaving weirdly."

"Ummm... It's just that I am a little stressed." Taeyeon quickly came up with an excuse.

Tiffany nodded. "I know you're hiding something, Taeyeon-ah. What is it?"

"We're here. What movie do you want to watch?"

"Equals."

Taeyeon raised her eyebrows, she had never heard of such a movie.

"It's an American movie. I'm sure you'll like it."

"I'll like it? When you say that, it means that it's the kind of movie you like that I'll never like it."

Taeyeon went to the counter to buy the tickets while Tiffany went to buy popcorn and drinks.

"Equals. Two tickets."

"What time?"

"4 O'clock." Taeyeon looked up to see a guy her age at the counter.

He smiled and handed her the tickets, their fingers lightly brushing against each other.

"Call me." She heard him whisper as his face came closer to hers and she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

Taeyeon suddenly felt someone by her side and she nearly screamed. She turned to find Tiffany holding onto her arm and smiling sweetly. "All done?"

"Okay... I'm freaking confused now. First, some random stranger tells me to call him and now, Tiffany is behaving weirdly. Why is my life so difficult?"

The guy at the counter looked at them with confusion.

As the girls showed their tickets to the usher, Taeyeon found a slip of paper with numbers written on it. "What is this? Could it be that guy's number? It must be."

Tiffany turned to see Taeyeon staring at the slip of paper. "You can't possibly be interested in that guy right?"

Tiffany felt her anger rising when she thought back about how she saw that guy at the counter flirting with the very oblivious Taeyeon.

"Are you going to keep that?" Tiffany could not stop herself from asking.

Taeyeon was startled when Tiffany suddenly spoke. Taeyeon stuffed the slip of paper in her pocket. "I'll throw it away later."

"What does it mean to you anyway? Don't act like you care, Fany-ah. Just do what you need to do."

The girls got settled into their seats and waited for the movie to start.

Tiffany took out her phone. "Tae, let's take a picture."

"What? Why? Now?"

"No reason. Let's just take a picture."

"Please don't tell me that Choi Siwon even wants pictures now."

Still, Taeyeon agreed to take the picture and tried to give the biggest smile she could given the situation.

"The movie is starting." Tiffany sat up excitedly.

Taeyeon was right. As expected, she 'liked' the movie (note the sarcasm). Taeyeon tried her best to stay awake but she still fell asleep eventually.

Tiffany turned to see Taeyeon halfway through the movie to find Taeyeon sleeping soundly.

Tiffany shaked her head before gently moving Taeyeon's head onto her shoulder so that Taeyeon would be more comfortable. She laughed silently when she heard Taeyeon's soft snores.

 

"Yoona-ah, you're free now right?" Sunny ran to Yoona's desk and said breathlessly.

"Yes? Why, unnie?"

"Taeyeon and Tiffany are going for their first date."

"What?!"

"Don't shout. Now, everyone's looking at us."

Yoona sent an apologetic look to her classmates.

"So what now? It's not like we can even do anything."

"Let's just follow them and make sure nothing bad happens."

"Seriously, unnie?"

"Let's go before we lose them." Sunny grabbed Yoona and dragged her out of the class.

Sunny looked around and tried to see where the 'couple' was.

"Unnie, I knew you were short but I didn't know you had eyesight problems." Yoona pointed at the two people they were looking for in the distance.

"You're lucky that you're useful, Im Yoona or I would have killed you."

"You'll never kill me. You love me too much to do so."

"Whatever."

"Where are they going?"

"Tiffany said she wanted to watch a movie."

Sunny and Yoona quietly followed the 'couple' who did not even seem to notice them at all.

"Should we walk closer to hear what they're saying?"

"Sunny unnie, you're behaving like a stalker."

"If I'm a stalker, you're one too since we're doing this together."

The pair walked closer to the pair in front of them and tried eavesdropping on their conversation.

"Equals? That's the name of the movie Tiffany unnie wants to watch?"

"That's what I heard. Why?"

"Taeyeon unnie isn't going to like it."

The pair also bought the tickets to the same movie and sat a few seats behind Taeyeon and Tiffany.

Instead of watching the movie, all they did was watch Taeyeon and Tiffany.

They were both shocked when they saw Tiffany putting Taeyeon's head on her shoulder.

"It's nice to know Tiffany still cares a little about Taeyeon."