Chapter 9

Pretend

"She's good at kissing... When did she learn how to kiss like that?" Tiffany thought as she ran her fingers through Taeyeon's hair. "What are you thinking about now, Tiffany Hwang?! Taeyeon is your best friend for goodness sake!"

Taeyeon could feel her heart breaking. She had imagined kissing Tiffany so many times and it was now finally happening for real. "But it's all a lie, Tiffany isn't doing this because she likes me that way." With that, Taeyeon found the strength to pull away from the kiss.

The second Taeyeon's lips left hers, Tiffany immediately felt the desire to connect their lips again. "What's wrong with me? Why do I even have such thoughts?"

The two stood there for a while in silence, neither of them saying anything as they were both in their own thoughts.

Just as Tiffany decided to break the silence, Taeyeon beat her to it. "I'm sorry, Fany-ah. I just remembered that there's somewhere I need to go today." Taeyeon gave Tiffany the most apologetic face she could give.

"Then you should get going then." Tiffany was relieved that she did not have to deal with the embarrassment of what happened earlier right away.

They walked out of Taeyeon's house and awkwardly said their goodbyes, with neither of them looking at the other in the eye. Tiffany then walked off in the direction of her house while Taeyeon walked in the opposite direction.

After walking a few steps, Taeyeon found it impossible to hold her tears back anymore. Tears rolled down her cheeks and she covered with her hand as she struggled to keep quiet as she did not want Tiffany to hear her.

"It hurts. It fxxking hurts. Everything I could ever wish for is happening right now but it's all a lie. It is all merely a good dream that I'll eventually have to wake up from."

Taeyeon spotted a couple of people giving her weird looks. Usually in such a situation, Taeyeon would want to kill herself due to the embarrassment but she could not be bothered about that at all now. Taeyeon had no idea where she was walking to but she also did not care. She felt so frustrated at everything and she badly wanted to punch someone or something.

Unfortunately (more for Taeyeon than the tree actually), a nearby tree became her victim. Taeyeon punched her fist against the tree as she screamed in anger. She could feel the pain from her hand but she continued punching the tree relentlessly. Taeyeon felt wetness on her hand and she was sure she was bleeding.

People around Taeyeon walked further away from her and they mumbled softly among themselves.

"What's wrong with her?"

"Crazy people like her should be locked up."

Taeyeon laughed bitterly to herself when she heard their comments. "What the fxxk do you people know? Do you know how it feels like for your best friend that you've liked for almost 5 years to do something like that to you?"

"Unnie, please stop it." Taeyeon widened her eyes as she felt someone holding her hand back, stopping her from punching the tree any further. Taeyeon turned around to see Yoona, who looked like she was going to start crying any time soon.

Taeyeon turned away in shame, she did not want one of her closest friends to see her in such a pathetic state. Yoona dragged Taeyeon by the arm and made her sit down at a bench while shooting the onlookers a death glare.

"Unnie, sit here and don't go anywhere. I'll be right back." Yoona ran off, leaving Taeyeon alone again.

Taeyeon sat there as Yoona told her to, she was too tired to move anyway. As she promised, Yoona came back right away, her hand holding a bag of medical supplies.

Yoona sat down beside Taeyeon and placed Taeyeon's hand on her lap. Yoona scrunched up her eyebrows as she carefully cleaned Taeyeon's wound. Taeyeon felt her heart beating just a little faster at Yoona's caring act.

"Unnie, what happened?" Yoona asked as she bandaged Taeyeon's hand.

Taeyeon shook her head, she knew her friends were already upset enough with Tiffany and she did not want to make things worse.

Yoona gave Taeyeon a hurt look. "Is this how little unnie trusts me?"

Taeyeon looked at Yoona in surprise, once again, Yoona was talking to her seriously, her words containing no hint of the usual playfulness. "I..."

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me, unnie. I can understand." Yoona gave a small assuring smile.

Taeyeon felt guilty to Yoona all of a sudden, Yoona was the best dongsaeng one could ever ask for. Most of the time, Yoona was mischievous and enjoyed playing pranks on her which made her want to kill Yoona at times but also because of Yoona, her days were more interesting.

"Please don't tell the rest of them."

Yoona turned to face Taeyeon, surprise evident on her face. Taeyeon was known as the kind of person who kept all her feelings inside but she was now willing to share them with Yoona.

"We kissed..."

Yoona looked at Taeyeon with confusion. "What-" Yoona suddenly realized what Taeyeon was saying and she looked at Taeyeon with shock. "How?"

"She said we should do things like kissing. Do what lovers do." Taeyeon laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation. "And I agreed. Why did I agree? I'm literally digging my own grave."

Yoona looked at Taeyeon sadly. "It hurts me to see you in so much pain. Why are you doing this? You deserve so much better than Tiffany unnie."

Yoona moved closer to Taeyeon and wrapped her arms around Taeyeon tightly. "Feel free to cry, unnie. I'm here for you."

Taeyeon started crying again, this time not entirely because of Tiffany but also because she felt so grateful to Yoona. "Thank you, Yoona-ah. Unnie is really lucky to have a dongsaeng like you."

"Unnie, I'll help you through this. I'll make sure Tiffany unnie regrets all that she has done towards you."