Chapter 13

Pretend

Yoona was currently staring at the figure sitting next to her on the bus. The said figure was staring out of the window for god-knows-what-reason. Yoona let out a deep sigh in relief as she had finally managed to calm Taeyeon down considerably.

With that, Yoona found herself meeting the puppy eyes of Taeyeon who stared back at her with slight confusion. Yoona gulped at the short distance between their faces. If either of them moved closer just by an inch or two, they would already be kissing. Yoona widened her eyes at the possibility but shook it off instantly. "Seriously, Im Yoona?! That's the last thing you should be thinking about right now!"

It took everything in Yoona to tear her eyes away from Taeyeon's and turn her head away. "How could it possibly be easy when she looks at me with those eyes? I'm whipped, aren't I? I'm behaving just like how Taeyeon unnie behaves when it comes to Tiffany unnie."

Unknown to Yoona, Taeyeon was still staring at her with silent gratitude in her eyes. "Thank you, Yoona-ah. I'm so thankful to you. If you hadn't arrived in time-" Taeyeon could feel her tears welling up in her eyes again but she refused to let them out, she did not want Yoona to go into another panic attack again.

 

Yoona took out her bloodied hands which she had been hiding in her pockets as she did not want Taeyeon to worry to search for her keys. Taeyeon's eyes widened when she saw the dried blood all over Yoona's hands and grabbed them. "Your hands..." The determination of Taeyeon to not cry started to slip away slowly.

"I'm fine, unnie. It doesn't really hurt anyway. At least I didn't punch a tree like you, that definitely hurts more." Yoona tried to joke and lift up Taeyeon's spirits.

"How can you still laugh about this?" Taeyeon was really going to cry anytime now. "I'm sorry, Yoona-ah. You got hurt because of me."

"It's not your fault, unnie. I've always wanted to punch that jerk anyway and I finally got a chance to do it today." Yoona gave Taeyeon a comforting smile that was nothing like the usual silly grins she gave. This smile was small but possessed raw emotion.

Yoona removed her hands from Taeyeon's before continuing her search for her keys. She gave a victorious smile when she finally found them while Taeyeon stopped breathing for a moment when she saw the beautiful smile on Yoona's face. Taeyeon had always thought that Tiffany was the most beautiful person in the world but just for that short moment, she found Yoona just a little more beautiful.

"Unnie, aren't you coming in?" Yoona asked as she gently touched Taeyeon's arm. Taeyeon shook off her thoughts as she stepped into Yoona's house. "Kim Taeyeon, you like Tiffany Hwang Miyoung, no one else. Yoona is just a good dongsaeng and you're grateful to her. That's all." Taeyeon kept repeating that in her head, the earlier incident pushed to the back of her mind.

"Unnie, are you okay? Is something wrong?" Taeyeon tilted her head up to meet a pair of very worried eyes. Yoona's face was a little too close to hers for comfort due to the thoughts of Yoona she was currently having in her mind.

Taeyeon nodded her head weakly. "You should get a shower, unnie. I can lend you my clothes..." Yoona rambled on but Taeyeon was honestly not listening. She did not know what to feel at the moment.

Tiffany Hwang, the girl she has liked- no, loved for five years but who does not feel the same way and has even betrayed her, made use of her for a guy. Taeyeon honestly was not sure who she blamed more, Siwon or Tiffany.

Siwon was the mastermind for sure. He knew that Taeyeon liked Tiffany more than she was supposed to and used it against her. Taeyeon was confused by what game Siwon was playing though. "He said he wanted me but then what about Tiffany? Could he be... That jerk is making use of Tiffany, isn't he?"

But this still would not have happened if Tiffany had refused to do so. Tiffany, her best friend and the love of her life chose her over a guy, a jerk. Taeyeon was sure that Tiffany knew, knew that Taeyeon would accept her out of friendship. It hurt her that Tiffany did not care about her feelings, did not care that that she was taking her for a ride. One small part of Taeyeon wanted Tiffany to feel the pain, to let Siwon hurt her.

Then there is Yoona. The person who is always there when she needs a shoulder to cry on, when she needs a helping hand. Someone who genuinely cares for her. And because of that, Taeyeon's heart made a little space for Yoona, a little of her heart that she gave to Tiffany was unknowingly given to Yoona.

And that made Taeyeon afraid, she could not like another girl like that again, she would only get hurt again. Taeyeon knew that Yoona was nothing like Tiffany and that Yoona would never ever do anything like that to her. But she also knew that Yoona would never feel that way towards her. Yoona had countless of guys lining up to go out with her so why would she look at Taeyeon?

Taeyeon was determined, determined to forget about her feelings for Tiffany completely, to tell Tiffany the truth and to make sure she did not fall in love ever again.