Chapter eight

Beautiful Soul

 


Chapter 8

Heroine

 

 

Memories of her childhood best friend rushed to her mind. Mina couldn’t believe that she forgot about her best friend. 

While she’s lost in her thoughts, ____ wondered who is ‘Sana’ or whoever it was that made Mina space out. She thought that that someone is special to her for her to react that way. Is she her girlfriend? or maybe ex?

 

Are You okay?”  _____ asked, feeling worried. 

Mina snapped out of her thoughts and and tried to explain or tell ____.

“Calm down first before you speak.” She noticed that the other girl is tense or something. They wouldn’t understand each other if Mina would talk too fast. 

The latter inhaled and exhaled deeply before opening . “Sana is my best friend. We knew each other ever since I was a kid. And I don’t even know why I forgot about her. I should go and see her. I need to talk to her.” She doesn’t understand but somehow, the address of her best friend is still vivd when she can’t even remember her own house. 

 

“How can you talk to her when she can’t see you? And plus, do you know where she lives or where she might be?” ____ asked. She didn’t mean to be pessimistic, she just doesn’t want to give Mina false hope. 

 

Mina sighed, thinking ____ was right. But that doesn’t stop her from seeing her best friend. She just wants to check on her and know how Sana is taking in what happened to her. “It doesn’t matter. I need to check on her. And yes, I know where she lives.” 

 

____ nodded, understanding that Mina wants to see her friend. “I’ll come with you. In case you want to say something to her through me.” She wanted to help the other girl just like how Mina helped her.

Mina smiled and said thanks. 

“What’s your friend’s name?” _____ asked sparking up a conversation. She wanted to know about her friend, since it sounds like they’re very close. 

Mina’s mood lightened up, even though she still do miss the girl. “Minatozaki Sana” 

_____ raised an eyebrow at the name. She finds the name familiar and she’s sure she heard it before. 

“Minatozaki. I’ve heard that name before.” She said out loud, trying hard to remember where she heard it.

“You know Sana?” Mina looked surprised. Her best friend isn’t someone who’s very open to others. Well not before she got bullied by the acting ‘queen' at their old school. After that, she had a hard time talking to others, turning her bubbly character to a quiet one. That’s why it surprised Mina that _____ knows Sana. 

 

“I think so… Yeah! I know her. She joined the calligraphy competition last year, I was there too. Although I doubt she knows me cause we didn’t really talked, we just sat next to each other that’s why I know her.” ___ shrugged. She thought that it was cool how she’s able to remember the girl who sat next to her at the competition since she’s not one to remember names especially that she didn’t talk to her.

“It’s really a small world.” 

 

 

Friday. After classes.

 

Mina and _____ went to Sana’s house. ____ rang the doorbell and and old woman opened the gate for them, asking what they need.

 

“Good afternoon. I’m looking for Sana, Is she home?” _____ observed the woman. She looks so tired, seeing her hair and eyes.

 

“She’s not yet here. Nowadays, she comes home at around 8 or 9 in the evening.” 

 

____ nodded and thanked the old woman. “So, what now? Do you have any idea where she might be?”

 

Mina thought for a while but not too long since a place came into mind. “I think I know where she is.” 

 

They stood in front of a building. A cafe at the first floor, while the remaining floors are abandoned. They took the stairs, Mina leading the way. _____ felt scared, especially when they passed by the second floor where boxes and old things are placed. _____ halted, with mina noticing it. “What?” The latter looked at the other girl who’s just staring at her. 

“Don’t tell me you’re scared?” She took the silence as a yes, so she grabbed _____ hands and assured her that it’s ok since she’s been here a lot before. “It’s not that dark yet, there’s still daylight so don’t be afraid.” 

 

After walking 4 more stairs, a steel and rusted door greeted them. Thankfully, It wasn’t locked so Mina twist opened the doorknob. The view from above greeted them from the rooftop.

(Don't mind the 2 guys)

 

 They scanned the area to look for any signs of Sana. 

 

“I thought she’d be here.” Mina sighed, expectations crumbling down. She was sure that her best friend would be at the rooftop.

Mina felt a tap on her shoulders. She turned her head towards the girl beside her, who’s pointing at the left most part of the rooftop. Her hands were trembling as she point at the girl, standing, ready to jump anytime. 

 

Talk about perfect timing.

 

______ didn’t wait another minute, as she ran as fast as she can towards the girl, which is Sana. She reached the hand of the latter and pulled her, making both of them land at the concrete floor. 

Sana fell on top of her. She was actually expecting her back to be in so much pain right now but thankfully it isn’t. The girl’s weight is very light for her height. 

____ helped herself and Sana to sit up so maybe she can talk to her. Sana hung her head low and it took a couple of seconds for ____ to realise that Sana was crying. She was going to say something and maybe reprimand her for trying to end her life, but she thought that it’ll make things worst so she just gave the crying girl a hug, which the latter accepted, hugging _____ tightly. Sana didn’t really bothered if it was a stranger, but all she knows is she needs someone right now. She felt thankful that someone stopped her. 

 

Meanwhile, Mina stood in front of them, looking at Sana. Mina felt her tears streaming down her face as she saw how vulnerable her best friend is. She never thought that Sana would do something like that. Mina wanted so badly to comfort her friend but the fact that she couldn’t, frustrates her. 

 

 

“If only I’d been there for her. If only I was there to listen to her problems. This wouldn’t happen.” Sna let out, still crying. The emotions built up for the past week, she’s letting it all out now that there’s someone beside her.

 

After a while, Sana was able to compose herself. Letting go of the hug, she fixed her messy hair and wiped the tears off her face. 

“Are you ok now?” _____ asked carefully. She honestly doesn’t know how to talk to someone who was about to commit suicide. 

Sana nodded and faced _____. She felt an oddly familiar feeling when she observed the face of the girl in front of her. She thought that she saw her somewhere already. “Do…Do you know me?” 

 

“Well, not really but I know your name and face.” _____ was going to explain further but Sana cut her by asking another question.

“What’s your name?” Sana actually remembered who ____ was, she wouldn’t forget her. She just wants to confirm it. 

____ hesitated at first, and she didn’t even know why. “_____ _____” 

“I remember you. Last year competition.” Sana stared at the one in front of her. She wanted to talk to _____ at the competition but she couldn’t, thinking that ____ wouldn’t talk to her. 

 

_____ nodded, not knowing what to say and Sana’s gaze makes it hard former to think. She looked at Mina as if asking to help her, but mina just stared at space, still thinking about what happened earlier.

 

The atmosphere is getting awkward for _____ and she felt really uncomfortable. “Umm…Uh..” She looked around to look for something to talk about just to get out of the awkwardness. “It’s.. quite dark already. We should go home now.” 

____ stood up and helped Sana to stand up, and mina too, once Sana wasn’t looking at her. 

“Yah. What should I do or say? I don’t want it to be awkward.” _____ whispered at Mina. 

“Don’t say anything yet. Let her talk to you first. Oh! Let’s walk her back to her house, just to make sure she wouldn’t do anything stupid again.” Mina said, starting to walk out of the building. 

The two walked beside each other, not a single word exchanged. _____ really wanted to say something but she remembered what mina said. I should just do what mina said. She knows sana more than anyone.

 

“I’m going this way. You?” Sana pointed at the left, as they stood in front of the building. 

“Oh.. I was actually thinking if I could walk you to your house?” ____ scratched her head. 

Mina stood beside ____ and said “Even if she says no, you still have to take her to her home.” ____ glared at her. Even though she really wants to go home already, she still wanted to make sure Sana comes home safe.

 

“Are you sure?” Sana’s worried that ____ parents are already looking for her since it’s already dark. 

“Yeah” ____ smiled and they started walking to Sana’s house. 

_____ could feel that Sana kept glancing at her. She thought that the other girl wants to say something so she asked what she needed. 

“I was just wondering why you’re not asking me why I tried to jump.” Sana was sure that if it was another person, that person would have asked already and scolded her for almost ending her life.

 

Mina told me not to. “I just thought that you needed some time and It’s hard to open up to someone you don’t know.” 

 

“My best friend is in a coma. She fell on the stairs and hit her head at the edge of a cabinet and a vase fell down on her head. I wasn’t there for her like how she’s always beside me. Maybe, just maybe, if I were there, I could have helped her. But I wasn’t.” Sana tried hard to hold i her tears. She had been thinking of all the possibilities if she was there when it happened. 

 

“It’s not your fault, It was an accident. So don’t blame yourself. Just blame the stairs for being so slippery. The stairs is at fault.” 

Sana chuckled, letting out a small smile. “Yeah. It’s the stairs fault.” 

 

Mina was glad that her friend isn’t crying anymore. At least she’s able to smile now. Mina reminded herself to thank ____ later. 

“Mina is the name of my friend.” Sana said, remembering how great of a friend Mina is.

“Yeah.. Mina” ____ unconsciously said, making Sana look at her. 

 

“You know Mina? Myoui Mina?” They stopped walking. _____ stood still not knowing what to say as she started cursing herself for saying out loud what she was thinking. 

“Yah!” Mina hit ____’s shoulders. “Just tell her we’re friends! faster!” 

 

“Yes! I know mina. She’s my friend.” ____ said, trying to act normal but failed. She looked so tense. 

They continued walking. “Really? She didn’t mention you to me though. Since when did you know each other?” Sana wasn’t aware that Mina and ____ were friends. Sana talked to mina about ____ when she met her through the competition but Mina didn’t say anything. 

 

____ nudged Mina for an answer. “2 Months ago! Tell her we met two months ago at the… the… archery place.” 

“ We became friends 2 months ago while playing archery.” It wasn’t all a lie since ____ really did play archery before, although she already stopped months ago.

 

Sana nodded. She remembered when mina asked her to play with her but she failed miserably. her highest score was 4, then the rest is either 3 or it didn’t hit at all. 

 

“This is me.” They stopped in front of a two storey house coated in mostly white with a little black and a wooden gate. 

“ Bye. Take care of yourself and don’t do anything like earlier again.” _____ smiled and waved her hand. 

“Can I have your number?” Sana bravely ask, although she’s feeling nervous that ____ wouldn’t give it to her.

 

Mina told ____ to give her number so ____ did. 

“See you next time. Goodnight.” _____ bid goodbye.

 

“Goodnight.” Sana opened the gate. 

 

“____. Wait.” She walked towards ____. “Thank you. For saving me.” Sana hugged the other girl tightly before pulling out and running inside her house.

 

“Yah. Let’s go.” Mina linked her arms with _____. It was quite chilly tonight and both of them didn’t bring a sweater. 

 

“____.” Mina called. 

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Can you do me a favour?” Mina felt bad for asking for another favour. _____ already did a lot for her, if only she can do it herself she wouldn’t ask for ____ to help her. She really felt like a burden to ____. 

 

“Sure, If it’s something I can do.”

 

“Can you be with sana for a while until we’re sure that she’s really okay already? I just don’t want her to suffer from depression again. She doesn’t have anyone besides me.” Mina remembered the time when she stood up for sana, who was being bullied. After helping sana, she herself got bullied too. Sana kept on blaming herself for it, ending up being depressed and not talking to anyone. 

 

“I’ll do what I can. I know she’s important to you.” 

“ I really appreciate it. I owe you big time.” 


 

Sana is so pretty ^^