Chapter four

Beautiful Soul

 


Chapter 4 

Baby Steps

 

 

The smell of toasted bread enveloped the place, which woke up mina. Her lips curved into a smile with just the smell of food. She sat down and rubbed her eyes before going to the dining area.

 

Eggs, bacon, pancakes and milk are placed on the table. while _____ is toasting a bread. 

‘ You cooked these?’ Mina asked, looking at the back figure of _____. 

_____ took out the bread from the toaster before answering. ’ No. Do I look like I cook?’ 

Mina looked at the girl’s features, observing every detail. ‘Yes, you do.’ 

‘I’ll take that as a compliment. Sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t. My aunt brought it earlier.’ She sat the table and started eating, making mina scoff. 

‘Aren’t you gonna ask me to eat with you? You didn’t even put a plate for me, how rude.’ 

 

____ stared at the girl for a couple of seconds. ‘but you’re a ghost.’ 

Mina crossed her arms. ’ So?’ 

‘ Do ghosts get hungry as well?’ Movies she watched doesn’t show any ghost eating. She wondered where the food will go since they don’t have a body. 

‘ Maybe, cause I am.’ Well that’s a new information for ____. 

‘I didn’t know. If you’re hungry then eat. You have your hands.’ _____ took a plate and a fork and placed it at the table, for mina. 

‘Tch. Saying it in a nice way wouldn’t hurt.’ Mina mumbled as she sat down.

 

 

 

‘Why do you keep looking at me?’ Mina faced the girl beside her. They just finished eating and is now sitting at the couch. She noticed that ____ kept on glancing at her from time to time, and by that she means at least every 30 seconds. 

 

‘ I’m just curious about you.’ ____ honestly answered. 

 

‘ Well, you can just ask instead of glancing at me. It’s uncomfortable.’ 

____ shifted her position and faced Mina. She didn’t know where to start since she has a lot of questions in mind. 

‘ What’s your name and how old are you?’ She started with an easy one.

 

‘Myoui Mina. 18. You?’ Mina answered shortly. 

 

Myoui. Doesn’t sound korean. 

 

‘ Yoon ____. I’m younger by a year.’ _____ thought that Mina is just the same age as hers. 

 

Mina smiled, she now felt the authority since she’s older.  ‘Then you should call me Mina unnie and use honorifics.’ 

 

‘ Unnie my *ss. We’re just one year apart.’ ____ didn’t really like using honorifics to those who are at most 2-3 years older than her. Others see it as rude but for her, she sounds awkward whenever she uses them, especially when most of her friends are older than her. 

 

‘Yah! I’m a year older than you!’ Mina pointed at the other girl. 

 

‘ I don’t want to. Ok. I’ll move on to my next question. When and how did you die?’ _____ actually regretted asking it when she noticed mina’s expression changed for a mere second.. I shouldn’t have asked that.

She was going to take back what she said but Mina sighed and answered. 

 

‘ Honestly, I’m not sure whether I’m already dead or not, but It was 5 days ago if I’m not mistaken. I fell from the stairs.’ She chuckled bitterly. 

 

_____ wanted to laugh at the cause but decided to keep it to herself because someone’s death isn't something to joke about. ’ You don’t know if you’re dead or not? how come?’ 

 

‘ I lost consciousness before I was even brought to the hospital. Then I woke up the day after at our house, so I don’t really know what happened at the hospital.’ 

‘Then you aren’t a ghost yet.’  _____ came to a conclusion. 

 

Mina raised an eyebrow. ’So what am I?’ 

 

_____ tapped her chin, thinking. ’umm.. let’s see… A semi ghost or a semi human. You choose.’ 

 

‘Neither.’ Mina glared.

 

‘ You’re choosy.’ 

 

Mina looked at the girl beside her in disbelief. ‘ Who would want to be called semi human??’ 

 

_____ rolled her eyes. ‘Whatever.’ 

 

______ suddenly thought about how she’ll help mina find her home so she could leave already and both of them could be at ease. ’ It’ll be easy to find your address since you’re from this area. We’ll just ask around the neighbourhood.’ 

 

‘ I don’t live here. I just went here because I was going to meet someone.’ Mina ran her fingers through her hair as she answered. 

 

‘ Who?’ 

 

Mina didn’t want to say who because she does feel a bit embarrassed. ‘ The shaman.’ 

 

‘ The shaman? The one with the blue shop?’ ____ asked and laughed. The shaman was known as a con artist in their neighbourhood, his customers are mostly from other cities. 

 

Mina buried her face in the pillow she’s hugging. ‘ I knew you’d laugh at me.’

 

Silence once again took over the place.

 

_____ wondered what she would if she’s the one in mina’s place. She wondered if she’s brave enough to face the reality that she’s dead already and no one can see her spirit. I doubt I can do it. Good thing mina has the courage and determination. 

 

‘Yah.’ Mina’s voice brought _____ back to reality after zoning off. 

 

‘ Do you have more questions? I feel like I’m in an interview.’ 

 

’ I’ll just ask you later. We need to go now, to seoul. I still have three weeks of school before our break.’  ______ stood up and went to her room to fix her things.

 

Mina smiled at the word ‘we’. It made her happy that _____ included her to her plans. 

 

After _____ finished preparing her things, the two of them walked their way to the bus stop. 

 

 

‘ Yah. I’ll sit near the window.’ _____ said before mina could even take the seat.

 

Tch. I was going to sit there.

 

Not aware of the looks the people on the bus is giving her, _____ continued to talk to mina. 

 

‘ So what are you planning to do now? I’ll be at school for almost the whole day, what about you?’ 

 

Mina thought for a while. ‘ I’ll probably look for the hospital or maybe my house.’ She nodded at her plan. 

 

_____ didn’t talk anymore once she noticed a woman looking at her strangely. It’ll be hard to talk with mina when I’m the only one who can see her. People would think I’m crazy.

 

Mina isn’t that insensitive to not notice the stares other people are giving them, or rather ____. She felt sorry that she’s embarrassing ____ in front of many people. 

 

They stayed quiet for a while, and not long after, _____ fell asleep. Her head kept on hitting the window whenever they pass by a bump on the road. 

 

‘ Aigoo. Her brain cells would get damaged.’ Mina sighed and decided to pull _____’s head unto her shoulder so the latter could sleep comfortably. _____, sleepy as she is, hugged the girl beside her and made herself more comfortable than she already is. 

 

 

Mina inhaled deeply as if she hadn’t breathe for an hour. Did I just stop breathing earlier? What’s wrong with me?

 

After almost 40 minutes, due to traffic, they’ve arrived at the bus stop. _____ already woken up, and the two are already walking to _____’s apartment. 

 

‘ You told me that you can go from one place to another, right? Like teleporting.’ ____ sparked up a conversation. She felt the need to, because the silence is creating an awkward atmosphere. 

 

Mina only nodded.

 

‘ Does that mean you can go to different countries? Can you bring me to Greece? I really want to go there.’ ____ smiled dreamily, imagining herself roaming around the streets of Greece. She had always wanted to go there. 

 

‘ What am I, an airplane?’ Mina teased ____, receiving a hit on the shoulders in return. ‘ I don’t know, I haven’t really thought of that. Although if I can, I don’t think I can bring you with me. Cause you know, you’re a human and I’m just a soul.’ Mina answered seriously this time. 

_____ pouted, which didn’t go unnoticed by the other girl. Cute

 

‘ We’re here.’ They entered a tall, white building and went up to the 3rd floor. They stopped at 1105, where _____ lives.

Mina looked around as _____ placed her things to her room. The walls are painted in white and there’s a small dining area near the kitchen. The living room is quite spacious, but there’s only one room. I guess I’d have to sleep at the couch again. 

 

_____ soon went out of her room and joined mina at the living room. 

 

‘ You live alone? ‘ Mina asked, even though it’s obvious since there’s only one room. 

 

_____ suddenly missed her family now that mina had mentioned them. She hasn’t seen her family for almost a month. ’ Yeah. My parents and my brother is in the province. I’m only here for my studies.’ 

 

‘ Enough about me. Tell me something about yourself.’ She changed the topic. _____ honestly wanted to get to know mina more. For the two days that they’ve been together, she only saw mina as a brat and sarcastic girl. She doesn’t want that. _____ thought that maybe mina is just not comfortable enough to show her true self to her. 

 

‘ I don’t know what to say. Just ask what you’re curious about.’ Mina reached for the throw pillow at ____’s side and hugged it. 

 

‘ Do you feel lonely? You know, since no one can see you.’ _____ asked, which took mina by surprise. She was expecting questions about her favourite color, if she have any siblings, or maybe what school she goes to.

 

‘Umm… Yes. I honestly didn't know what to do. Even though I was surrounded by a lot of people, they couldn’t see me. That’s why I felt very lonely. That was before I found you, or rather you found me. I don’t feel alone anymore.’ _____ felt that it was sincere. She smiled hearing all those things from someone she doesn’t know that much yet. She felt happy that she could at least accompany someone who was feeling lonely. 

 

‘I’m hungry.’ Mina said, making _____ laugh. ‘ Me too.’ _____ stood up and prepared their dinner.

 

After finishing dinner, _____ washed the dished quickly.

 

‘ I’ll be sleeping early since I have school tomorrow.’ _____ informed the other girl. 

‘ Ok. Good night.’ Mina smiled and laid down the couch as well. 

 

 

Before sleeping, ____ went out of her room to check if everything is ok. She checked the lock of the door and made sure that the appliances are turned off and that the faucets are not leaking. 

She also checked on mina, who’s already sleeping peacefully. Aigoo, she might catch a cold.  ______ fixed the blanket of mina, as well as her pillow, to make sure that the other girl is comfortable. 

‘ Good night.’ She whispered and went back to her room.

 


Hiiiiiiiiiiiii :D

So _____ would be going to school next chapter.. If you have any ideas or scenes that you want to suggest, just tell me :) I'm more than open for your suggestions :))

Anyways, I'd like to thank YuiiStar for upvoting. To the new subscribers And to my lovely readers, you guys are the best ^^ 

Till the next chapter