Chapter Six

The Cheonsa Rising
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6

 

 

 

Seungcheol had yet another lunch with the Jung family. This time, they had it at his family house. President Jung came in with his wife and daughter. His father welcomed them and led them to their grand dinning room. His mother actually redecorated their house recently, so she wanted to bring in more visitors to brag about it.

 

They talked about business, and how their stocks are going; the usual chaebol topics.

 

“So, are you finally ready to take over Korea’s top spot, Chairman Choi?” President Jung asked him. Seungcheol’s father became curious at their topic; this has been an ongoing goal for his father. Be the number one company in the country.

 

“I honestly don’t know how we still aren’t the top company. It has been more than two decades since the Song Conglomerate has lost its president; and no one has taken over the position. I’ve always wondered how that company kept their hold.” His father said. Seungcheol heard the name before. Song Conglomerate. His father has been aiming to beat them for as long as he can remember.

 

“Well, it is said that Song Conglomerate has a very private board of Members. And I also heard that they are worldwide.” President Jung said. Everyone at the table was interested to hear more because it’s the first time the two fathers have talked about it in front of them.

 

“Why didn’t anyone take over the Chair?” Soojung asked him. It was Seungcheol’s father who answered her.

 

“Its because they are afraid, Soojung-ah.” He said. “No one had the guts of taking the crown with such weight. Song Conglomerate has been in the country for three generations now. The late president was the son of the founder of the company. I guess people are afraid of the responsibility.” He added. Seungcheol didn’t miss the bitterness in his father’s voice; he couldn’t help but ask why.

 

“Why didn’t you infiltrate the company father? You could’ve led it.” He said. His father gave him a warning look but still answered.

 

“It’s because the board are idiots. They are foolishly keeping hold of their seats instead of losing one and having another step up to be the Chairman.” He explained. “But no worries, my son. In no time, Choi Industries will become Choi International. We would expand our businesses and finally beat that dying company.” Seungcheol wanted to say that it’s hardly dying because it’s still number one, but he didn’t want to be reprimanded.

 

The Jung family left after dinner; Soojung wanted to stay but her father disagreed. Seungcheol’s father asked him to have a word with him in his study.

 

“Seungcheol, how old are you?” His father asked him.

 

“I’m 21, sir.” He answered. His father took a seat behind his desk.

 

“Now that you’re of age, I want you to think more about our company.” He said.

 

“Why? Are you asking me to take over already?” He asked his father. President Choi just gave him a hearty laugh.

 

“Foolish kid, are you kidding?” He asked. Seungcheol was pissed but looked down. “I’m just saying that you’ll takeover someday, but as for now; I want you to think about how to help our company grow.”

 

Seungcheol wondered where this was going; he doesn’t like how his father is beating around the bush.

 

“As I’ve said earlier, I want to expand our businesses, explore other fields of industry.” His father said. “With that in mind, I’m recently interested in entering the entertainment business.”

 

“That’s why you’re suddenly friendly with Jung Entertainment.” He commented; his father nodded.

 

“Good; you’re beginning to see my ways. What do you think on this?” His father asked him.

 

“I don’t think starting an agency will be good. It would be hard to rise up immediately.” He answered.

 

“Exactly, so I’m thinking of joining hands with the Jung family and extend our reach in the business.” His father told him. Seungcheol stood in front of his father, waiting for him to continue.

 

“And that’s where you come in, my son.” He said.

 

“What do you mean? Do you want me to be an apprentice?” He asked his father; who shook his head in disagreement.

 

“No. I want us to join hands with them. And what is the best way for two companies to merge?” Seungcheol knew what that meant.

 

“Marriage.” He answered curtly.

 

“Exactly, I’m thinking of marrying you to the daughter of Jung Entertainment.” His father told him. Seungcheol shook his head immediately.

 

“I don’t want to.” He declared.

 

“Silly kid. You’re acting like you have a choice.” His father chuckled at his declaration.

 

“I already have someone.” Seungcheol lied. He knew he wouldn’t want someone he didn’t love in marriage.

 

“I don’t care. You could keep her or him in secret, but I want you to marry Soojung.” His father clarified.

 

“Never.” Seungcheol glared at his father. “I’ll never marry that girl.” He swore before storming out of the room and of the house.

 

 

**

 

 

Mingyu was at a restaurant with Jeonghan and Seungcheol. It’s been weeks since the two decided to be friends and at first it pleased Mingyu. He really wanted his Seungcheol hyung to friends with Jeonghan because he knew that Jeonghan would be a part of his life in the future. He intended for Jeonghan to be close to Seungcheol like a brother in law.

 

Yes. He liked Yoon Jeonghan from the moment he walked into their first class together. He loved that Jeonghan blushed over his smiles and he thought him the perfect wife material; smart and beautiful. It was to his greatest surprise to learn that Jeonghan was a boy and not a girl; he was so shocked because he never saw a guy so beautiful.

 

He realized that he didn’t care if Jeonghan was a boy or not. He wanted him and he worked his hardest to try and befriend him; to ease his way into Jeonghan’s life. Seungcheol didn’t make it any easier for him when they argued and fought every time. Mingyu thought it was the end for him when Jeonghan learned that Seungcheol had him looked at.

 

He felt like he could breathe again when his hyung apologized to the other. Finally, they could meet and not be at each other’s throats.

 

But he started to regret having them make up.

 

Jeonghan and Seungcheol sat together opposite to Mingyu and they were talking about random things. It was his first time to see Seungcheol talk so much and it’s starting to irritate him.

 

Mingyu feels like a third wheel, while the two looked like a couple.

 

“Cheollie, I told you that garlic bread is better that cheese-flavored breadsticks! How can you appreciate the pasta if you eat breadsticks?” Jeonghan said. They were arguing about which type of bread goes best with pasta dishes.

 

“I told you it’s not, Han-nie.” Seungcheol said, but the way he said it was more like Honey. “Breadsticks are better! The hardness of the bread is perfect with pasta! It’s like croutons but stacked together!” He argued. Jeonghan shook his head in indignation.

 

“What are you even talking about? Have you been to France?” Jeonghan asked the other; he shook his head.

 

“See? I’m telling you that in France, which makes one of the best pasta dishes in the world, they eat pasta with garlic bread! I’ve been there for almost a year!” Jeonghan argues, his voice raising. Seungcheol shook his head violently.

 

“Yoon Jeonghan, I know you’ve been to France! I had you investigated right?” He said. Mingyu found it weird that the two almost always go back to the investigation incident with every topic they have. “No need to brag about it, I already know!” He huffed, crossing his arms and looking away.

 

“I know! Because you’re a stalker!” Jeonghan copied the other. “But I’m still telling you that garlic bread is better that a mere breadstick!” He said, looking the other way.

 

“Is not.” Seungcheol grumbled.

 

“Is too.” Jeonghan grumbled back.

 

“Is not.”

 

“Is too.”

 

“Is not.”

 

“Is too.”

 

“Are you guys for real?” A voice behind Mingyu said. He looked back and saw Wonwoo carrying a heavy looking stack of books. He stood up and helped the other, taking some of it. Wonwoo sat down beside him, opposite to Jeonghan.

 

“Jeonghan hyung, are you guys kids?” he asked the older. Jeonghan looked at him and gave him a fake smile.

 

“Ani. It’s just that this guy,” He gestured to Seungcheol, “is stupid.” He said. Seungcheol scoffed at him.

 

“You’re stupid.” He replied.

 

“No you are.” The longhaired boy said. He looked to Mingyu who was generally annoyed and gave him a look that screams ‘You see?’.

 

“Well I think it’s either you both are stupid or you guys are having a lovers’ spat.” Wonwoo commented. He saw Mingyu’s face darken considerably and the other two blushed. They looked too embarrassed to say anything further so they decided not to speak to each other.

 

“Jeonghan hyung, when are we gonna clean the third room?” Wonwoo asked him. The other two looked at them in question.

 

“Why? Are you letting Mingyu stay with you guys now?” Seungcheol asked Jeonghan.

 

“Am I?” Mingyu asked him as well.

 

“As if.” Jeonghan replied. “You can buy your own apartment if you want!” He told Mingyu.

 

“My parents won’t let me.” The youngest pouted,

 

“So who is staying with you?” Seungcheol asked again.

 

“A friend from Los Angeles. He is my uncle’s son.” Jeonghan answered.

 

“You have one in New York and one in LA, too?” Mingyu asked him.

 

“Yes.” He said, sipping from his iced tea.

 

“Hyung, can I order now?” Wonwoo asked the eldest two.

 

“Mian! Mian! Go order, remember to ask the waiter to avoid any seafood seasoning and sauces, Wonwoo.” Jeonghan told younger.

 

“Just how many uncles and aunts do you have, hyung?” Mingyu asked him.

 

“Yeah hyung. You seem to have a lot.” Wonwoo added.

 

“You can ask this guy, here.” He gestured to Seungcheol who seemed embarrassed by the mention. “He had me investigated, Wonwoo-ya. He even knows all my part-time jobs!” He said to Wonwoo. Seungcheol looked liked a tomato.

 

“So it’s true, then? He really is a stalker?” Wonwoo asked, giving Seungcheol a sideways suspicious look.

 

“Why does everything go back to that?” He asked. Jeonghan shrugged.

 

“I just feel too lazy to answer, so you answer for me!” Jeonghan said, smiling at him. Seungcheol was stunned yet again by Jeonghan’s smile.

 

“Well, he has a lot Mingyu. Don’t even ask.” He said, grumbling.

 

“So, Wonwoo-ssi, how’s law school treating you?” Seungcheol asked Wonwoo, who he met for the second time today.

 

“Yah, don’t be too polite!” Mingyu protested. “I told you being too polite could be rude!” He scolded the oldest. The others didn’t comment further but Seungcheol tried again.

 

“How you holding up, Wonwoo-ya?” He asked. Mingyu seemed to be pleased as he nodded before leaning onto his chair. Wonwoo looked to eyed him, glaring.

 

“Can I answer now?” He asked sarcastically, Mingyu nodded with a smile.

 

“Well, it’s been hard. I have a case about this telecom company that offers Internet access to its customers but a storm fried one of it’s cell towers with lightning so their having multiple complaints. They haven’t been able to fix the problem, and it has been months since.” The three smiled in understanding. After a while, Seungcheol spoke up.

 

“Yah! Kim Mingyu! You can help Wonwoo!” He blurted out. The other three looked to him in question.

 

“How is a celebrity gonna help a law student?” Jeonghan asked him.

 

“You really don’t care about you friends’ background do you?” he asked the longhaired boy.

 

“Why? Is everyone like you?” Jeonghan snapped.

 

“Here we go again.” He grumbled, glaring at the other. “But anyways, Kim Mingyu is the son of KMG Telecom!” He said proud of himself. Jeonghan and Wonwoo looked at him in amazement.

 

“Wow! You’re a chaebol and a celebrity? So lucky!” Wonwoo asked him.

 

“So you’ll take over someday? I have an awesome friend!” Jeonghan gave Mingyu a high-five. The two praised him for being cool, but Seungcheol frowned at Jeonghan.

 

“Yah! Yoon Jeonghan!” He tapped the other violently. “You really treat friends differently, don’t you? When I told you I’m the heir of Choi Industries, you called me a self-important prissy; but when you learned that Mingyu is the son of KMG Telecom, you’re amazed? Wow!” He complained.

 

“It’s because you’re a weirdo, Choi Seungjoo.” Jeonghan teased the other. “Mingyu-ya, here, is a sweetheart!” He said, cupping the maknae’s chin. Mingyu blushed at the action but didn’t brush away the older’s hands. Seungcheol on the other hand took Jeonghan’s arms back and glared at him.

 

“As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted,” He glared at Jeonghan again. “Mingyu can easily help you. His father has taken baby Mingyu, since way before, to most of his meetings. He knows how the company works and operate.” Seungcheol explained. “So, I think you can refer to Mingyu in how an actual telecom company would act and the steps they would take.” He finished.

 

“You don’t look so stupid when you make explanations like that.” Jeonghan blurted out as he stared at him with a stupefied look. Mingyu and Wonwoo burst out laughing.

 

“Yah! You really like to abuse me!” Seungcheol whined. Jeonghan must’ve realized what he just said.

 

“Ani! That was a compliment! I didn’t mean it as an insult! I swear Cheollie!” He said, holding Seungcheol’s arm.

 

“That’s what’s insulting, Han-nie!” He complained. “Do I look stupid to you?” He asked Jeonghan seriously.

 

“Yes.” He nodded. The other two let out another round of laughter.

 

“But I promise just now, you didn’t!” Jeonghan swore.

 

“Hyung. I think you shouldn’t say anything anymore.” Wonwoo managed to say between laughs. Jeonghan shut up while looking at Seungcheol apologetically.

 

“It’s alright. We can’t do anything if I look stupid.” Seungcheol concluded dispirited.

 

“Can you help Mingyu?” Wonwoo looked beside him with pleading eyes. Mingyu looked at Wonwoo and then at Jeonghan. The longhaired boy was giving him a knowing look, wiggling his eyebrows. He nodded blushing.

 

“Yes, I’ll help you.” He answered. The other clapped his hands in hurrah and high-fived Jeonghan.

 

Mingyu looked at the two and a confused and conflicting feelings overcame him.

 

 

**

 

 

Jeonghan went to work after hanging out with his friends. These days, Seungcheol has been taking him to work. He really didn’t mind it if no one walks him to work; but Mingyu and Seungcheol must’ve took it upon themselves to do so. The two were fighting for who gets to do it, so Jeonghan said they just all walk together. They didn’t like the idea so they made a schedule of who gets to walk him to work.

 

Today, he managed to slip out of the two with the excuse of a call from on of his guardians. He texted Wonwoo to just take his bag home and leave the two behind.

 

He thought it was amazing when his Aunt actually called him.

 

“Ahjumma!” he greeted. He heard his aunt give out a heart laugh on th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter