Chapter Twenty-One

The Cheonsa Rising
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 21

 

 

“We were just heading out, dad. We already ate here earlier.” Seungcheol subtly declined his father suggestion, but Choi Seongnam was relentless; he was looking straight to Jeonghan as he answered. Jeonghan knew that this was going to be a long dinner so he prepared himself for whatever Choi Seongnam would send his way.

 

“Nonsense, son.” He replied. “It’s rare enough as it is for Sanggyu and I to have dinner with our sons, and even more to meet the friends they hang out with.” He added. Jeonghan didn’t miss the venom in the older’s voice when he said the last part. Immediately, he went closer to Wonwoo and found his hand and gave it a tight squeeze. He knew his younger brother was still scared of the man.

 

Obviously seeing that there was no way out of this situation, they sat on their places. The staff changed the table from a long one into a round one to accommodate the new comers. Jeonghan sat beside Seungcheol on Seungcheol’s insistence and Wonwoo sat on his other side. Mingyu sat next to Wonwoo and his father on his other side. Choi Seongnam sat between Mingyu’s father and another man while Seokmin sat between him and Seungcheol.

 

Mingyu’s father was together with Seungcheol’s dad and a man Jeonghan couldn’t recognize. But by the way the man was giving him a hard and calculating look, Jeonghan could say that the man was in league with Seungcheol’s father. He couldn’t say the same about Mingyu’s dad; he seems unaware about the tension in the air or he just doesn’t care.

 

“Aren’t you going to introduce your friends, son?” Mingyu’s dad, Kim Sanggyu, asked his son. “I believe I haven’t met them aside from Seungcheol, of course.” He added, giving everyone a polite smile. Jeonghan didn’t felt insulted by his demeanor so he decided that both of Mingyu’s parents are good.

 

“Yes, father.” Mingyu nodded. “This person beside me is Jeon Wonwoo; next to him is Yoon Jeonghan. And on Seungcheol hyung’s other side is Lee Seokmin.” He introduced. “Jeonghan is my classmate, Wonwoo is my boyfriend and Seokmin is Wonwoo’s classmate.” He explained. Regardless of how cool Mingyu’s dad seemed to Jeonghan, he still became anxious when the younger introduced Wonwoo as his boyfriend.

 

“Oh, so he’s the fellow your mom has been raving about?” Sanggyu commented, giving Wonwoo a curious look. “How do you do, Wonwoo-ssi?” he greeted Wonwoo. While this exchange was happening, Jeonghan couldn’t help but look to Seongnam and the other man for their reaction. Seongnam looked haughty while the other man looked like he’s waiting to pass judgment.

 

“I’m fine, thank you sir. You can call me comfortably if you want sir.” Wonwoo replied nervously.

 

“Please, call me Ahjussi.” Mingyu’s dad smiled happily. He then looked to his friends and gestured to Wonwoo.

 

“Did you see him? He’s my son’s boyfriend!” He said proudly. “Isn’t he handsome?”

 

“I see you have no qualms about who your son spends his time with, Sanggyu.” Seongnam commented, eyeing Wonwoo judgmentally. “You’re alright if he hangs around with just anyone.” He smiled patronizingly. Jeonghan saw the controlled look on Mingyu’s father but still gave his guest a smile.

 

“What do you mean just anyone? I’m sure that Wonwoo here is a fine young man!” Sanggyu defended Wonwoo with a light demeanor. How he could do this effortlessly was beyond Jeonghan’s imagination.

 

“I’m sure that he is.” Seongnam conceded with a smile. “I absolutely would never have let my son hang around with such uneducated and unrefined people; I only let him go on dates with Soojung and spend his time with Mingyu.” He added. From this statement, Jeonghan could assume that Seungcheol’s mom didn’t tell her husband of his relationship to their son. For that he was grateful. “Why isn’t Soojung here, President Jung?” Seongnam turned to the other man beside him.

 

Soojung? President Jung? That means he’s the father of Soojung.

 

“I’m sure she’s busy with her friends. She can’t always spend her time with her fiancée.” President Jung answered. At this, Jeonghan almost laughed at how unaware of everything they were.

 

“Actually, President Jung, I believe Mingyu is Soojung’s classmate.” Sanggyu told his friend. “So that would mean you also know her, don’t you Jeonghan-ssi?” he turned to Jeonghan.

 

“Yes sir, we’re in the same class together with Mingyu.” He answered.

 

“Wait, you’re the one who topped the national college entrance exam with Mingyu?” President Jung asked him pointedly. Jeonghan only nodded. President Jung’s face became red with anger. “So it’s safe to assume that you’re the orphan who had the audacity to say he had the power to buy off my company?” Everyone was shocked at his words; it was blatantly rude but it wasn’t beyond what Jeonghan expected from Choi Seongnam’s likes of people.

 

“Yes, I suppose I am, sir.” He answered calmly.

 

“Do you see how ignorant and obtuse this boy is?” Seongnam commented, not bothering to hide his distaste on Jeonghan.

 

“Father!” Seungcheol raised his voice, but his father silenced him with a finger.

 

“No. This boy has been let alone for too long.” He said with a patronizing smile. “He’s just an orphan who had few rich people for guardians. How could he possibly know how our society works? And he dares to make such blatant though empty threats just because he experience having a bit of money.” He said, getting angrier at the end of his speech.

 

“I remember being kind and rich enough to have your son’s party at my hotel for free, sir.” Jeonghan reminded Seungcheol’s father. “And how are you so sure that my threats are empty?” He asked with full composure. “I haven’t done anything because Soojung has been quiet these days, hasn’t she President Jung?” He turned to Soojung’s father with a smile.

 

“How dare you!” President Jung shouted in indignation. “You’re just a nobody whose parents left because they probably know what a vile, ignorant person you’d come to be.” He insulted Jeonghan. Wonwoo’s hands reached for Jeonghan’s. The longhaired boy turned to Wonwoo and smiled.

 

“Don’t worry Wonwoo, I can handle a few old men.” He said, giving his younger brother a wink. Turning to President Jung, he let out a deep breath before speaking again.

 

“Your daughter said pretty much the same thing to me, once. I see the fruit really doesn’t fall far from the tree.” Jeonghan said with a poker smile. “That was actually the day she got my threat, sir? Want me to deliver?” He asked President Jung with a dare.

 

“Young man, I think not having parents let you go astray so much.” President Jung said with disbelief. “That’s why you’re being like this. You don’t know anything about my company; nor about anything for that matter.” He chuckled bitterly. “I dare you to try, though.” He said.

 

“Let it be known that the President of Jung Entertainment asked me to do this.” Jeonghan announced as he fished out something from his pocket. He took out his phone and dialed a number. He placed it on speakerphone and placed it on the table, letting everyone hear the other line ring.

 

“Good evening. This is House of David’s Secretarial office.” A woman’s voice was heard on the other line. Immediately, President Jung’s expression faltered until it returned into a hard one.

 

“Can you please connect me to President Hong Minsoo?” Jeonghan asked.

 

“May I know who’s speaking?” the woman asked.

 

“Honey Yoon.” Jeonghan answered curtly.

 

“Omo! Sir Jeonghan! Why didn’t you say so at first! You have the President’s private line, you didn’t have to go through us!” She said.

 

“I on a vacation at the moment.” He answered. “I needed to speak with President Hong but I only have this number. Can you connect me now? It’s rather urgent.” Jeonghan asked again.

 

“OH. Sorry! For a minute, sir.” She said.

 

Everyone at the table except Jeonghan didn’t move or speak, only watching the longhaired boy look at his nails as he waited.

 

“Han! What’s the matter? Hwayoung said that this call was urgent.” Minsoo’s worried voice was heard on the other line.

 

“It’s not really that urgent, President Hong.” Jeonghan purposely didn’t call him uncle. Minsoo went silent on the other line immediately.

 

“How can I help you, Jeonghan?” Minsoo asked him calmly, businesslike at once.

 

“If I tell you that I’d offer you an advice, would you listen?” He asked. A smile crept its way into President Jung’s face; probably thinking he’d fall short to his threat. Jeonghan kept his smile from showing.

 

“Of course, I will! You’re my secret weapon!” Minsoo’s voice was accommodating. President Jung’s smile fell.

 

“Well, I understand that you’re currently underway into a merger with Jung Entertainment.” Jeonghan watched as President Jung’s face went blank.

 

“How did you know about this?” President Jung asked him out of his breath, not able to believe what was happening.

 

“How did you know?” Minsoo repeated the question unknowingly on the other line. “That was a confidential matter, and very premature.” He said.

 

“There are few things I don’t know about your company, President Hong.” Jeonghan answered confidently. “I’m your secret weapon after all.” He added.

 

“So what is this advice, Jeonghan? I’m getting anxious.” Minsoo asked him.

 

“What is the reason for this merger, President Hong?” He asked first.

 

“Well, as I have told you before I left LA, I’m going to be staying here for a while. I might as well make roots here.” Minsoo answered.

 

“So why Jung Ent?” Jeonghan asked, faking curiosity.

 

“Well, they made an offer.” His uncle answered. Jeonghan could almost see his uncle shrug as he answered.

 

“So that’s it?” He asked. “Simply because they made an offer?” He asked, smiling sweetly on President Jung’s direction. Digging it in that they only have this merger because his company made a move first; not because they are remarkable.

 

“Yes.” Minsoo answered simply.

 

Jeonghan chuckled, not taking his eyes off President Jung.

 

“Don’t push through with it.” He said, staring straight into President Jung’s eyes; his expression hard and cold. He has been insulted for far too long without retribution. He watched as President Jung looks to Seungcheol’s father in disbelief.

 

“Any supporting reasons?” Minsoo asked him. Everyone at the table looked to him, probably not expecting this. He was an ‘ignorant and obtuse’ boy after all. Good thing he’s prepared.

 

“I have made a quick study about the company.” He explained, surprising everyone at the table. “-and I learned that they’ve been in the industry for a long time.” He said.

 

“Yes, indeed. They’ve been around for a while.” Minsoo agreed.

 

“Well, I’m not assuming they’re not doing their job properly, but one can’t help but wonder why there are still lots of companies who does better than them despite being younger than they are.” Jeonghan explained, watching everyone watch him speak.

 

“That does raise some questions, Han. Ones I’ve thought about before myself.” Minsoo agreed. Despite Jeonghan anger toward the Jungs, he really was giving his uncle a true advice. Jung Entertainment wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter