Chapter Twenty-Five

The Cheonsa Rising
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 25

 

Seungcheol laid in his bed all night thinking what he should do next. He didn’t really know how to apologize to Wonwoo so he just text him plainly.

 

To: Jeon Wonwoo

 

I really am sorry. Can we go out for lunch so I could apologize properly?

 

He didn’t have to wait long because soon after he got a reply. He sat up and read the message.

 

From: Wonwoo

 

Don’t bother explaining. Treat my hyung better.

That would do.

 

 

At this point, Seungcheol didn’t know if he should be relieved or pressured; but most of all he is sad. He doesn’t know if he’ll be able to mend his friendship with Wonwoo. After all that that his father has done to Wonwoo’s family, Seungcheol is surprised and humbled that the younger still treated him with respect and kindness. Now, he may or may not have just shown that he is like his father.

 

Is he supposed to think of a grand event show he is sorry? If there was anything he learned from watching Jeonghan before they dated, it’s that even though he attracts attention, he hates it. He doesn’t like anyone prying into his business because he thinks everyone would judge him for being an orphan.

 

So where does that leave him?

 

After realizing what he should do, he knew there was no way he’d be able to sleep anymore. So, he stood up and went out of his apartment to prepare his apology.

 

 

**********

 

Choi Seongnam is still seething because of Yoon Jeonghan. The orphan’s last stunt rattled most of the elite society. The backlash of Jung Ent’s failed merger with David Hong and possible hostile takeover made public is severe. He didn’t know there was more to that orphan. With one phone call, he was able to cancel a merger that Jung Ent spent most of two years to make. Yes, David Hong may have just been back from the States recently, it was heaven’s gift that he did because it saved Jung Ent time and resources more spent. Seongnam has been carefully weaving his way to secure a stable connection in the entertainment business for a while now, but now it is all gone; because of Yoon Jeonghan.

 

How did he learn about the contract? How did he know President Jung’s shares? Who is behind that blasted child? You can’t make threats like that, and certainly not have the board turn on you like that if you don’t have some stable backing.

 

As he sat inside his study, he opened a file that was sent to him by his private investigator. After weeks of searching, he’s finally able to get his hands on something.

 

 

**********

 

Jeonghan stayed at Madame Park’s house that night. The elder told him that she was feeling lonely not having her family here with her. Her children have school and her husband was handling the business while she is away.

 

Her house wasn’t an estate like most of her sibling’s residences, but rather a simple condominium unit. Jeonghan noticed that it was smaller than his apartment, only having one extra room. It has always been this way with Madame Park. She may have her own coffee plantation in Italy, but her house was rather simple than most would expect of her stature. She had a three-story house that was humbly decorated. Her condo unit here is no different.

 

“Why don’t you live in a penthouse, auntie?” Jeonghan voiced out as he watched the elder take out a fresh tray of cookies from her oven. He sat at a stool by the counted as he waited for his food. “You could live in one like Minsoo Ahjussi, or in a mansion like Sunhwi Ahjumma, why don’t you live like they do?” He added. He was surprised when his aunt gave her a mock stern look and tsk-ed at him.

 

“Because I was the caterpillar among the butterflies that are my siblings.” She said like an explanation.

 

“You? A caterpillar? I don’t believe it!” Jeonghan joked, thinking about her flair for drama. Bongsook shook her head with closed eyes.

 

“No, dear. You have to believe me. I was the last one to ‘make it’.” She said, using air quotes. “And I’ve always been the simple thrifty one out of all of us, so I guess it just stuck with me.” She added.

 

“Do you think I’ll live up to your expectations? All of you, I mean.” Jeonghan asked her. “I never had to want for something since I’ve been adopted and I was showered with love had everything I could ask for and more. I feel like all of you have this expectation of me for greatness that I sometimes think I’d fall short from.” He said tearing up.

 

Bongsook was astounded by this revelation. What brought this on? She thought. She never realized that her nephew would harbor these kinds of thoughts.

 

“Honey, that’s not true.” She said, reaching out to embrace the young man. “It is true that we have expectations from you, but that’s because you broke all of our previous ones! You’ve accomplished so much for such a young age, dear. And we know, we know, that you’ll do great.” She said trying to reassure her nephew, but Jeonghan’s tears only begin to fall and soon he was crying.

 

Jeonghan himself didn’t know where this sudden burst of emotion came from. He didn’t know how did he arrive to this emotional state, but now all his pent up feelings are coming out.

 

“It’s because of that, and I feel it all the time. I feel like I have to be collected all the time, and it’s so hard to be like that all the time, auntie. It’s so hard. I’m still just a child, but sometimes I feel like it’s not fair that I have all these problems and trials.” He said, breaking down. “Maybe Seungcheol is right. I could’ve ignored his father’s taunts and let it go, and maybe it wouldn’t have escalated how they did. But I just feel so cornered, auntie.” Jeonghan was practically pleading for understanding at this point.

 

I know that I have all of my guardians to lean on, but I still feel alone. He doesn’t know why this is, but he feels guilty for feeling that way. Is this betrayal? He asked himself. Still feeling alone despite all his adopted families feels like a major betrayal, doesn’t it?

 

He thought that South Korea would be a safe place, or a peaceful place, compared to where he’s been through. That it would be comparatively toned down than all the foreign places he lived before, but no. It was worse.

 

Jeonghan was being consumed by his dark thoughts that he didn’t realize his aunt was holding him until he was wrapped in her embrace.

 

“I’m sorry that you feel that way, Han. I really am.” She said, rubbing his back. “Is this about Seungcheol?” She asked.

 

“It is.” He admitted. “But it’s also more than that. Jung Soojung and her father, also Cheollie’s father, aren’t they a little bit too much for me? I’ve had bullies before, Ahjumma, and I’ve learned to deal with them. But isn’t this in a whole another level?” He cried out. Bongsook’s heart was breaking at the sight of his beloved nephew. Her golden boy was weeping, and it was too much to handle.

 

“I’m sorry you have to go through that, Han-nie.” She said, embracing him tighter. “You never should’ve felt like you’ve been cornered; not you, Jeonghan. Anyone but you.” She said, willing herself not to break down in front of him. She has to be strong for the younger.

 

“Look at me, dear.” She said, pulling away from Jeonghan. The longhaired boy wiped off h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter