Chapter 7- This Place

At Least I'll Always Have You

 

Jun Hyung- ! Wae (why)?? Na Hyun, wake up! What is love? You said it is expressed towards family and friends! Why can’t you tell me!?

 

Na Hyun- ^^ (giggle).

 

-That night, Jun Hyung appears in Na Hyun’s dream again-

-Strangely, they were in a flowery field-

Jun Hyung- Did you mean that?

 

Na Hyun- Mean what Jun Hyung?

 

Jun Hyung- What you said about me being your boyfriend if I were human. If Yo Seob wasn’t already your boyfriend, could it really be me?

 

Na Hyun- ...Yes

 

-sad Jun Hyung-

 

Jun Hyung- ... hehe (sad smile)...I really wish I was still human.

 

Na Hyun- ...That’s ok. I still love you^^ As an older brother; as my best friend.

 

Jun Hyung- ...but I want to be more than that. I want to have what Yo Seob has..

 

-serious Jun Hyung-

 

I want to have your heart.

 

Na Hyun- ! FUDGE (O.O) Don’t say something like that!... (sad face) We’ve already talked about this in my last dream. You’re not human, so we can’t be.

 

Jun Hyung- But I also said I’d wait for you. Just because you’re not letting me in your heart doesn’t mean I’ll stop wanting you. Sorry, but that’s how it is.

 

Na Hyun-... (sad face)... Jun Hyung, I never want to be separated from you because of how much of a friend you’ve been to me. But I’m afraid that if you keep visiting me in dreams like this...I might let go of reality... Because even though I say I only love you as a friend...the truth is, you’re starting to steal part of my heart and... I love you. I love you the same way I love Yo Seob... but that’s not right... I can’t love you; I’m not supposed to... so please, I’m begging you, stop visiting me in my dreams... I have to move on and let you go, because the fact is you’re not someone I can ever be together with.

 

Jun Hyung- ... (sad) You want me to go away?

 

Na Hyun- ... Jun Hyung...

 

-Jun Hyung hugs Na Hyun-

-Jun Hyung sad-

 

Jun Hyung- Ok... if it pains you so much to see me, I’ll stop visiting you...even though...it kills me to stay away. But if it makes you happy; if it lessens your pain, I’ll do it for you. I love you; Good bye.

 

-Jun Hyung fades and the flowery field turns gray; everything started to wilt and the sky began to crack-

 

 

-Na Hyun wakes up-

 

Na Hyun- !..

 

Jun Hyung- ! Na Hyun, why did you wake up?

 

Na Hyun- (looks at Jun Hyung)...your soul visited me again.

 

Jun Hyung- ? I have a soul? Don’t only humans have that?

 

Na Hyun-... (he’s a A.R.#1 again...he’s only Jun Hyung in my dreams...but I won’t be seeing Jun Hyung anymore... )

 

Jun Hyung- Na Hyun?

 

Na Hyun- Yes?

 

Jun Hyung- You look frustrated and tired from that dream. Do you want a hug?

 

Na Hyun- ! A hug? But I never told you why humans do hugs.

Jun Hyung- Yeah...but I figured that it must have something to do with raising energy levels since you and the professor do it every day, particularly every morning. But when you hugged me, I didn’t feel any energy levels rising. So, I guess it only works on humans?

 

Na Hyun- (smile) hehe; what are you saying? You’re talking nonsense again. But, you’re right; I do want a hug...however,..I don’t want it from you A.R.#1; I want it from Jun Hyung. (sad face)...

 

Jun Hyung- Hmm?Jun Hyung? What is a Jun Hyung?

Na Hyun- What is a Jun Hyung? A Jun Hyung is one of the best things that ever came into my life...But I have to accept that he’s only a memory now.

 

Jun Hyung- ?? I don’t get it.

 

-Next Morning-

-The day that Jun Hyung will be taken away-

 

Prof. Woo- Today’s the day you’ll be joining the army A.R.#1. Are you all ready?

 

Jun Hyung- Affirmative Professor; I’m all set. (looks around) Where’s Na Hyun, Professor?

 

Prof. Woo- (sad face) she can’t bear to see you go, so she said she’ll stay in the room until the Army Leader gets here to avoid spending more time with you. She says that if she spends these final minutes with you, she’ll end up getting more attached. So she’ll just come out when it’s time to say good bye.

 

Jun Hyung- Attached? I’m afraid I don’t understand. How is it that she gets attached to me? I think the word “attached” serves a different purpose in your sentence rather than being the synonym of “stuck to”.

 

Prof. Woo- That’s ok. You’re a robot so it’s natural that you don’t understand these things; you have no real emotions. I’ve actually installed an emotional program in your system, but since you’re in your army robot setting, it has been deactivated.

 

Jun Hyung- Oh. Humans have such complicated mental structures. Butmay I still go see her? I will try my best to make sure that she doesn’t get attached to me. (whatever that means.)

 

Prof. Woo- Alright. But why do you want to see her?

 

Jun Hyung- She still hasn’t explained something to me. We were talking about vocabulary words last night.

 

Prof. Woo- Oh; ok(??).Go ahead. But be sure to knock first.( (-.-)Vocabulary words?)

 

-Na Hyun’s Room-

*KNOCK KNOCK*

 

Na Hyun- Come in.

 

Jun Hyung- Na Hyun, you still haven’t shown me what love is. You have to demonstrate what love is now so I can store its meaning in my database. The army leader will be here soon.

 

Na Hyun- (-_-) Don’t you see I don’t want to spend time with you? I don’t want to miss you, you idiot. How can I do that if you still come here to ask about that stupid question?

 

Jun Hyung- But what if the army leader gives me an intellectual test when I enter the army to measure my data capacity? What if I was asked to elucidate love?

 

Na Hyun- (T.T) (elucidate? What does that mean? Well, anyway)A.R.#1, what are you saying? Are you taking an entrance exam to college? If you’re going to the army, it has nothing to do with defining love. And I already told you, it’s a tingly feeling.

 

Jun Hyung- Like when one is shocked by electricity?

 

Na Hyun- (T_T) ...sure, whatever.

 

Jun Hyung- Well, that makes no sense.

 

Na Hyun- (-_-) How about this definition: love is what makes you care about someone. It’s a strong feeling; our Lord expressed it on the cross as he died for our sins.

 

Jun Hyung- died? when you love, you will die?

 

Na Hyun- Never mind (T_T) Really; forget about it. 

 

-Just then,the Army Leader with some soldiers arrive-

 

Prof. Woo (from outside) -A.R.#1! Na Hyun! The army leader has arrived!

Jun Hyung- !

 

Na Hyun- ! (it’s time for him to go...)

 

-Na Hyun and Jun Hyung go outside-

 

Na Hyun- ! (Seobie!...)

 

Army Leader- Alright; time to make the exchange. Jun Hyung, come here.

Prof. Woo- He doesn’t respond to that anymore. He knows himself as A.R.#1. A.R.#1, time for you to go now.

 

Jun Hyung- Yes Sir; Farewell. Good bye Na Hyun; your company was most amusing.

 

Na Hyun- ...jal ga (bye). (I would hold you back from going...but I can’t let Seobie go either... )

 

-Jun Hyung goes to the Army Leader; the Army Leader pushes Yo Seob towards Na Hyun and Prof. Woo-

 

Army Leader- It’s been a pleasure doing business with you, Professor. I will start sending you more parts for the army robot design now. But I don’t want you making it look like a human again, are we clear? As for how A.R.#1 looks like currently, I will not dismantle his boyish figure. (evil smile) I see it in your face that you cannot let the boy go; how pathetic, but I enjoy your wretchedness, so I’d like his face to stay this way. Also, from now on, I will be monitoring you very tightly to make sure you don’t hide anything. That will be all for now; I will call the other soldiers to let Yo Seob’s family go. I expect the army robots by next month. See you until then.

 

-The Army Leader, Jun Hyung and the soldiers leave-

-Na Hyun hugs Yo Seob, but Yo Seob doesn’t make any motions-

 

Prof. Woo- Yo Seob, are you alright? Is your family really safe now?

 

Yo Seob- Yes Professor; they were left with the other soldiers at our house. Omma (mother) just texted me that the soldiers have left; they’re okay now.

 

Prof. Woo- Good to hear, my boy. Why don’t you rest here for a while?

Being with those army people must be such a tense atmosphere.

 

Yo Seob- No, thankyou Sir. But I would like to ask your permission to take Na Hyun out somewhere. We really need to talk.

 

Prof. Woo- Of course; go on.

 

Yo Seob- C’mon.

 

Na Hyun- (worried) ... (he doesn’t look too happy...)

 

-Yo Seob brings Na Hyun tothe playground where they have their dates-

 

Yo Seob- Let’s sit down on the grass.

 

Na Hyun- Ok.

 

-They sit-

 

Yo Seob- Do you love me?

 

Na Hyun- !? Of course I do.

 

Yo Seob- Do you really?

 

Na Hyun- I really really do.

 

Yo Seob- Then why did you hide Jun Hyung’s true identity from me?

 

Na Hyun- I’m not allowed to tell anyone what he actually is; it was to protect him from the Army Leader.

 

Yo Seob- Is that how much you don’t trust me?

 

Na Hyun- Huh!? It’s not that I don’t trust you. It’s just an important secret; that’s all.

 

Yo Seob- Why? You can’t share your secrets with me? What else are you hiding? Are you seeing another guy too?

 

Na Hyun- (looks with sadness) Seobie, I’m not hiding anything.

 

Yo Seob- Really? You hid Jun Hyung’s identity from me, and I believed you. Will I believe you again this time? When I was in the army base, it gave me time to think. I’m your boyfriend now, but before that, I was also your best friend. Our relationship was intimate ever since we met. I surely have hid nothing from you; but I don’t know if you’re doing the same for me. Being your boyfriend without even knowing about the real identity of this other guy in your life, or robot in your life, whatever you call him, has proved to be dangerous to me. My family was scared to death; I nearly got killed. Maybe if you told me about Jun Hyung’s secret and warned me that an army leader was after him, I could’ve been more alert; more careful.But when I was kidnapped, I was unprepared. And now, being with you isn’t safe anymore. Anytime your father upsets the Army Leader, my family could also get involved because he knows I’m your boyfriend. And I don’t want that; I don’t want my family in danger. Do you understand?

 

Na Hyun- Yes, and I’m truly very sorry; really really sorry... But what do you want me to do Seobie?

 

Yo Seob- ...nothing... I love you. Do you know that?

 

Na Hyun- Huh?

 

-Yo Seob stands up and faces the direction opposite Na Hyun-

 

Yo Seob- ...I love you. Is there anyone else in the world that I irresistibly care for? Or can I deny that I’ve fallen for you so deeply? Why I cherish you like this... even I don’t know...Could the sun’s brightness compare to how happy and warm I feel with you? I feel like I would fit snugly between your arms...Is it possible not to believe I belong with you?...

 

-Na Hyun stands up-

 

Na Hyun- (worried) Seobie...

 

Yo Seob- ... I can’t ask you to do anything about my family’s safety because it’s not in your hands...but that’s not the only thing that upsets me... (faces Na Hyun) Why didn’t you ever think that we can keep Jun Hyung’s secret together? I can help you, you know that? I would do anything; I would stand next to you by all means. My family would too. It would’ve been better that way; not like this, getting kidnapped; surprised by the sudden captivity... (turns around) (starts to get teary eyed) But...you don’t have to worry about me being concerned anymore. You’ve shown me I was lacking towards you; that I’m insufficient for your complete trust...

 

Na Hyun- Seobie... don’t say things like that. I promise you it’s not because I don’t trust you. I’m sorry, it’s my fault; I’ll tell you everything from now on.

 

Yo Seob-...tell me everything from now on?...Believe me; I’ll continue to love you even if you lie...even when I don’t want to love you anymore, I still will.Right now, though I’m hurt, look: I still love you... and that’s why I think...I think I should...I should stay away.

 

Na Hyun- (hugs Yo Seob) stay away? (gets teary eyed)...don’t go. I don’t want to lose you again.

 

Yo Seob- (Tears start to fall)...break up with me.

 

Na Hyun- ! (Tears start to fall) No!

 

Yo Seob- I don’t want to be the one to leave you. It’ll be less painful for you if you’re the one to break up with me. So go on; do it.

 

Na Hyun- No...never...

 

Yo Seob- It’s not that I want to leave, but because the road with you is dangerous for the people I also care for. And...it’s also dangerous for me. I’m afraid it’s too easy for me to believe anything you say even when I don’t trust you completely anymore. I’m a fool for you, so it’s not good for me. Let me go.

 

Na Hyun-I can’t...(Hugs Yo Seob tighter)  Do you think I don’t care for you as much as you do for me? You may be better off without me; but I’m not the same without you. I felt so relieved when you were brought back to me...that I could hold you again and use your presence to cover up the sadness and worry I felt when you were in captivity... will I let you go after all this time?It’s useless for you to ask even a million times; I will not break up with you.

 

Yo Seob-...Fine...If you won’t do it, then I will. Good bye. (tries to remove Na Hyun’s arms)

 

Na Hyun- (doesn’t let go) (tears pour out) ani (no)...ani...Yo Seob (sniff)...please lie to me...tell me you will not leave...even if it’s just a lie...even if you only pretend to still be my boyfriend....I will be happy...lie to me...please...

 

Yo Seob- (tears flowing)... (fudge; she won’t let go...and...I’m feeling so bad for her...I can’t refuse her...I want us to stay together too...but...I just can’t...I’ll have to reason with her in a way that will make her release me, even if it’s not what I really feel...) (sniff) why do you make it so hard? (sniff) Do you like it when I’m put in danger? If I stay with you, I’ll be used again anytime they need to get something from your father. I’m like bait on a hook that the fisherman can lower down at any moment...I will fear each tomorrow and live scared of my life...you say you love me...enough to free me?

 

Na Hyun- ... (sniff) (If I let you go...you will be safe but I’ll miss you...If I don’t let go...you will be in my arms, but at the palm of death...)...(sniff)...I do love you; I’d rather see you leave me than see you in the hands of the Army Leader(Na Hyun removes her arms)...you’re free to go, I won’t hold you back anymore...but I...I will always love you whether you’re my boyfriend or not... there’ll never be a day when you won’t cross my mind; you are...someone I always want to hold...and...I’m sure... all of my happiness will walk away right now if you will.

 

Yo Seob-...

 

...good bye.

 

-Yo Seob leaves-

 

Na Hyun-(tears continue to fall) (Great and Almighty Father God, I lost Jun Hyung this morning...and now You’ve witnessed my losing Yo Seob too...I cry out to You Lord... I feel so distressed right now...I lift up to You my troubles Lord...I will leave everything to You)

 

-Na Hyun stares at the play ground, feeling empty inside-

 

Na Hyun-(This place...the place where I shared fun and laughter with Jun Hyung...where Yo Seob would surprise me with each kind of date he prepared...is also the place where Jun Hyung spent his final day with me...where Yo Seob broke up with me...this place...will I ever come back here again?...those two people have gone...it’s time... for me to go too...)

 

-Na Hyun heads home-

-Yo Seob’s house-

 

Mr. Yang- Did you do what I told you son?

 

Yo Seob- (crying) yeah...(sniff) (wipes tears)

 

Mrs. Yang- Don’t worry dear. You did the right thing. There are plenty other nice girls in the world. This one’s life is just too complicated; it’s like playing with fire being her boyfriend. You know that, don’t you? It’s too dangerous.

 

Mr. Yang- We know you love her, but she didn’t even think about how much danger you would be in the day you became her boyfriend. All this time, she knew that there was someone after her robot friend and she didn’t even tell you to watch your back because being her boyfriend also meant being in peril. We could’ve been alright with that; if she just told us about it, everything would be ok, no problem. But she didn’t tell us, so now it’s the issue of trust we’re dealing with here. I know you my son (looks at Yo Seob tenderly); you love deep, just like your old man. That’s why I was tricked when I was young.

 

Yo Seob- ! Really Appa (father)?

 

Mr. Yang- Yeah...I was played by my first girlfriend. Your mom here caught her in the act and called me right away because your mom and I were friends back then. But I didn’t believe her; until it came to a time where I was dumped. Your mom was a gift from God; she comforted me and pretty soon we were interested in each other. (smile) but that’s another story.

 

Yo Seob- (grin) hehe...

 

Mr. Yang- I just don’t want you to keep your hopes up on her when you see that trust is already being betrayed. I think breaking up with her was really the best solution, based on experience.

 

Yo Seob- (serious again, looks at ground)...yeah, sure appa...(but just because you experienced that, doesn’t mean I would too...Na Hyun is different...but I guess...one can never really say once trust is questioned...but I...I do love her so...she begged me to stay, and she even let me go...couldn’t that measure how big her love is for me?...(#.#) AAAAGGGHHH!! I’m so confused!)

 

Mrs. Yang- It’s time to go to bed now Yo Seob.

 

Yo Seob- ! (back to reality) what was that omma?

 

Mrs. Yang- Go to bed now. We’ve had a long day. Tomorrow, you will go to a different school. While you were out, we have arranged the transfer with the principals of both schools. You will get over her faster if you no longer meet. It’s time to forget the past and look to the future. We’ve also scheduled a moving date. Even if she’s your ex now, since the army leader knows you’re related to her in some way, there’s still a pretty big chance that we’re no longer safe here in South Korea. We’ll be living with our relatives in Tokyo by next month. You can’t tell anybodybecause news always finds a way to get out. You can tell your friends you’re transferring schools, but you mustn’t mention anything about us moving to Tokyo. The Army Leader may hear about it. (pats Yo Seob) (looks with sympathy) I know it’s hard to suddenly leave your birthplace and friends, and even more, the girl you love, but we need to act before danger catches us first. Go sleep now.

 

Yo Seob-(looks emotionless at the ground)...Yes Omma...

 

-In his room-

 

Yo Seob- (Lord God...I followed my parents’ orders...I broke up with Na Hyun...and now...I will leave everything...I will leave all our moments together and try to forget about her...but why do I feel that doing that will only worsen the wound in my heart?...could I really go through life not thinking about her?...I just don’t know if I can trust her...) (Yo Seob looks at his pic with Na Hyun in the playground)...(This place...will I ever return here?...my parents are doing everything to separate me from Na Hyun...should this place still hold special in my heart?...I’ll leave the circumstances in your hands Lord...)

 

-Yo Seob goes to sleep-