Chapter 3- Jun Hyung...I’ll miss you..

At Least I'll Always Have You

 

Jun Hyung-   Ok! Tomorrow it'll be my turn to confess to her! No harm in trying!

-The Next Day-

-While Na Hyun is at school, Professor Woo and Jun Hyung work on their current project: Enhancing and creating advanced mechanisms for Korea’s army base. They do this while watching Jun Hyung and Na Hyun’s favorite tv series: tvN’s Ugly young Ae. They loved it so much that Professor Woo was forced to have it downloaded. Every time they finished watching, after 2-3 weeks, you’d see them watching it all over again.-

Jun Hyung- ^^ Haha I’m really amused by this tv series.

Professor Woo-  Hmm.. Why do you and Na Hyun like this so much? It’s as if you never get bored no matter how many times it flashes on screen.

Jun Hyung-^^ Hehe, well

 

Jun Hyung- It’s about such an unusual couple: how often is it that a fat girl and a cute guy end up together?  OooooHHhhh, so sweet^^ I’ve lliked this even before I met Na Hyun. Guess it’s one of the many things we have in common.

Prof. Woo- So, you enjoy unusual couples?

Jun Hyung-  Maybe.. ^^ (maybe even love between a robot and a human..)

Prof. Woo- Did you have a girlfriend before?

Jun Hyung- Ani (no). Wae? (why?)

Prof. Woo- Well  (smiles)  , you seem to be such a loving guy. And you know, if only you were still human, (winks) I bet that my Na Hyun will have a hard time choosing between you and Yo Seob^^

Jun Hyung-  ! Huh?

Prof. Woo- Let’s keep this a secret between you and me^^ I promised Na Hyun I wouldn’t tell you: the first time she saw you, she said she really liked you. But you were already a robot at that time, so her feelings for you never got developed, unlike her feelings for Yo Seob. It’s too bad that you guys only met each other when you were a robot already. Otherwise  I wouldn’t wonder if YOU became her boyfriend. But it’s too late now. I mean, you’ll look like this forever, but she’ll age and grow up. How could you provide a family for her, or how can she marry a robot? It’s quite impossible.

Jun Hyung- !... I..I..  (starts to look downcast )

Prof. Woo-  ! My boy, what’s wrong?

Jun Hyung-  (sadly looks at the ground as tearsof oil start to fall)

Prof. Woo-   Could it be?.. You have feelings for Na Hyun?

Jun Hyung-  ...yes...and (sniff) I wanted to confess to her today..

Prof. Woo- ! What!? you can’t do that! She just got a boyfriend yesterday; what would she feel? Don’t you remember how happy she was telling us? I’m really sorry Jun Hyung but there’s absolutely no way for you to be her boyfriend. Maybe if you were human, you would stand a chance; but then again, she has already chosen. You can’t take her apart from someone she has been longing to be with.

Jun Hyung- I understand..(tears start to increase)

Prof. Woo- !! Jun Hyung, stop crying! You know what’ll happen to your body when the oil overflows!

Jun Hyung- (tries to stop the tears, but instead it flowed all the more) !! Professor! Help; I can’t stop the oil!

Prof. Woo- !! (panic) Hold on! I have to go get my equipment!

-But it was too late. Jun Hyung’s body had already shut down by the time Prof. Woo came back with the equipment.-

-Later that day, Na Hyun returns home from school-

Na Hyun- Bye Seobie!^^

-enters the house-

Na Hyun- Jun Hyung! Where are you?!   I have lots of things to tell you^^ And also, you didn’t watch Ugly Young Ae without me, did you?..(waits for replies, but only silence was heard)....  (worries) Jun Hyung??

-Prof. Woo just came out of the laboratory-

Na Hyun- Appa (father), where’s Jun Hyung?

Prof. Woo- Oh..well.. I have good news and 3 bad news regarding Jun Hyung.

Na Hyun- !! He’s not hurt is he?

Prof. Woo- Well, actually he was hurt emotionally but not physically.

Na Hyun- Huh?

Prof. Woo- Anyway, here’s the bad news: His depression became the cause for an overflow of oil in his body. Unfortunately, there are some parts of his system where oil isn’t allowed to flow because they will shortcircuit. So, his body shut down when all the oil started to fill him up.

Na Hyun- !! Appa, you have to do something!

Prof. Woo- Now, calm down. I know how sad it is to not have Jun Hyung around because he’s practically part of the family. Of course, I did my best to heal him. I prayed to God and he has heard our prayers. That’s the good news. When I checked Jun Hyung’s parts, the one’s that shortcircuited can be repaired in just a matter of days. Maybe just one week and 2 days.   So there’s nothing to worry about; Jun Hyung will be up and running pretty soon.

Na Hyun- (wide smile) What a relief!^^ One week and 2 days won’t be that long. As soon as he wakes up, I’m gonna take him out of the house so we can go to the mall: I’ll look at Beast and Super Junior posters, while he looks at Girl’s Generation and f(x) posters. After that, we’ll play in the arcade. Then, our most favorite part  KARAOKE!! And then..

 

Prof. Woo- Na Hyun, hold on a second. There’s still the 2 other bad news I have yet to inform you...

Na Hyun- !!   ..What is it?

Prof. Woo- First one: When he wakes up, he won’t remember anything. It’s like when a computer is reset. All files are deleted from his system and he goes back to his original setting.

Na Hyun- Huh?? No!! There are so many things we haven’t done yet... not fair...

Prof. Woo- His original design is that of the perfect army robot. It was the design that the army leader wanted from me. That day when the car bumped Jun Hyung, I had no other designs so I decided to use the design for the army robot and added emotions like that of a human being. Jun Hyung was my best work; the first perfect army robot that resembled an ordinary human. But pretty soon, the army leader to whom I gave the design asked me for the army robot I made. He didn’t know it was Jun Hyung, and he couldn’t tell Jun Hyung apart from a real boy because Jun Hyung had emotions. He knew I made an army robot because he’s my supplier for the parts in making it. He noticed I had used the parts he gave me, and was asking for the robot. But I didn’t want to give him Jun Hyung; he was like a son to me, and he’s one of your closest friends. So, I pretended that I never made a robot. Furious at my answer, the army leader was desperate to find the robot I had made. But he had no proof at the time, so he left. The second bad news is, since he’s my supplier, the computer in the army base will be able to find out Jun Hyung is the army robot if his system restarts, because it will go back to its original setting.

Na Hyun- ...in other words, you’re saying that..

Prof. Woo- It’s either Jun Hyung remains shut down forever so that he can stay with us, or we revive him but he won’t remember either of us and the army leader will take him away.  ... What do you think Na Hyun?

Na Hyun-....(Pure sadness is seen in her eyes) Appa,..don’t revive him anymore..I want him to stay here with us...

Prof. Woo- Even if he no longer moves or talks? Ever?

Na Hyun- ..yes.. (tears fall down)

-Later, Prof. Woo brings Jun Hyung’s body to Na Hyun’s room. He also brings in another matress.-

Prof. Woo- Are you sure you want him to be on your bed Na Hyun? After all, he doesn’t feel anything anymore.

Na Hyun-  Please don't say that. And yes, Appa. It’s okay. I don’t mind sleeping on the matress. Even if Jun Hyung cannot feel anymore, I want to make sure he’s comfortable. And this way, I’ll be able to protect him. Nobody can get to the bed without reaching the matress first ...  I’ll be here to save him from harm..

Prof. Woo- All right then. Good night Na Hyun. Sweet dreams.

-Prof. Woo’s about to leave-

Na Hyun- Appa, wait! You’re forgetting Jun Hyung.

-Prof. Woo Looks at Na Hyun’s sad eyes, and also continues to feel sympathy-

Prof. Woo- Good night to you too Jun Hyung. (gets teary eyed) Have sweet dreams and know that we’ll always be here with you. Sleep tight.

-Prof. Woo leaves Na Hyun’s room-

-Na Hyun looks at Jun Hyung sadly and then starts talking as if he can hear her and see her-

 

Na Hyun-  I’m sorry I didn’t choose to revive you Jun Hyung. But if I did, then that stupid army leader would take you away from us. (she starts to comb his hair with her fingers) Please come back to life soon...not a day will go by when I won’t be thinking of you... I want to bring you everywhere all of a sudden...(tears race down her face)(she stares at him and lays her hand on his fore head) and...Jun Hyung... I’ll miss you..

-She spent that night without taking her eyes off Jun Hyung; She didn’t even think about sleeping. How was she to face tomorrow knowing that her friend who’s been like a brother was now gone forever?-