Nineteen

House of Cards (DISCONTINUED)

Jungkook POV

 This can't be happening. I sat silently at the table, listening to my father laugh with Mr. Kim. I glanced up at Ji-young, and she shot me a sympathetic look. I looked away and took in a breath. "Father, I- I'm not feeling well. Can I call Jung-hyun to take me home? I just need some time to get ready." Mr. Kim cleared his throat and set down his glass. 

 "Jungkook-ah, don't be so shy. You have nothing to worry about, you and Ji-youngie just relax. I will arrange everything. You both are excused, go get some sleep." I nodded and sprung up from the table. Ji-young also stood up, taking hold of my arm. She turned her head looking back. 

 "Good night appa." She said, smiling at her father. He smiled.

 "Good night darling." He said, then waved her away. Ji-young then quickly dragged me out of the restaurant. As soon as we were both outside, she pushed me up against the wall. The dim light coming from a lamp post let me see her relieved face. I looked at her curiously, waiting for her to say something.

 "Ah, sorry Jungkook. I just didn't want you to run off." She said, pulling away. "I already know your situation with Jimin and I'm fine with it. I don't want to go through with this either, but we have to. For our families." I crinkled my nose.

 "Ji-young, you know I can't. It's marriage. Even if it doesn't destroy my career, it will destroy what I have with Jimin. I'm sorry." I said, beginning to walk off. She grabbed onto my wrist.

 "Jungkook, you're the one who doesn't understand. I don't know if Jung-hyun told you, but you need to know." I wrenched my hand away from her.

 "What do you mean Ji-young? What do I have to know?" I questioned. She took in a deep breath.

 "Jungkook. Your dad is dying." Dying?  

 "Dying? What do you mean dying?" She chewed on her lip.

 "Stage three lung cancer, he refused treatment Jungkook. All he wants is to see you have a family." I took a few steps back.

 "No, no no no. , this isn't happening. Ji-young, I need to tell him. I can't go through with this-" She cut me off with a sharp slap. I held my cheek.

 "Do you know why he refused treatment? Do you?! He doesn't want to burden you or your brother with his treatment costs because he feels like he owes it to you after what he put you through. I know what he did was terrible, but he wasn't going through something easy either. He's giving up his life so you're financially stable. The least you can do is keep him happy in the last year of his life." I looked up at her. I opened my mouth to say something but closed it. I felt hot tears rolling down my cheeks. I covered my face with my forearms. 

 "I can't believe this. I need to tell Jimin at least about the trip." I whispered. Ji-young placed a sympathetic hand on my shoulder. 

 "I understand. I'll have to tell my boyfriend as well. Hopefully, he takes it well. Good luck." She said before walking off and leaving me alone.

 

Jimin POV

 

 "A trip? Why?" I asked nervously, trying to get Jungkook to look at me by touching his cheek. He jerked his face away, and I noticed it felt a bit tender. "Jungkookie, you can tell me anything, you know that." 

 "It's no big deal Jimin, it's a family thing. My dad just wants me to go with Ji-young before the summer." I hitched my breath, a tinge of jealousy taking over.

 "Ji-young? You're going with her?" I questioned. Jungkook turned to me his eyes wide.

 "Jimin, I didn't mean t-" He started, but he cut himself off. "I need to go now. I'll be back in three weeks." He said, standing up. I bit my lip and grabbed onto his hand. 

 "I love you, baby." I said, tracing his scar with my thumb. He looked back at me, a sad look in his eye. He slowly squeezed back and tugged his hand away. I brought my hand to my chest and watched him walk to my room door. As he opened the door I heard two people fall down. 

 "Goodbye for now hyungs." He said, stepping over them. I looked into the sad faces of Taehyung and Seokjin. I heard the front door open, then close again. Tae stood up, rubbing his back. Jin got up as well.

 "I'll uh, leave you alone Jiminie. Dinner will be ready in an hour." He said, closing my door. I laid down on my bed and curled up into a ball. 

 "God damn it Jungkookie, what are you hiding from me?" I whispered, hiding my face in my knees.