eighteen

Ever-changing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

      

        When they make it to the label and walk inside, Jackson wants to hold Mark’s hand and act like normal couples do on their first day, but even if they are within the secure walls of their company, they can’t. Instead, Jackson has to be satisfied with just walking really close to Mark, wrapping his arm around the older’s shoulders in a friendly gesture while just babbling about something. 

For the first time Jackson notices the way Mark stares at him when he’s talking. Given, the older has always been fairly quiet and when someone is talking the idol always listens and pays attention, although sometimes it seems like Mark is zoning out instead of listening. However, when Jackson is talking Mark stares at him as if the world has reduced to just Jackson, he smiles and his eyes seem to glow with devotion, he laughs louder that the joke calls for, and above all Mark looks just so happy to be next to Jackson, listening to him saying whatever stupid thing he’s talking about to make the others laugh. 

Noticing that Mark stares at him like that makes Jackson want to keep saying nonsense just to keep Mark all to himself, laughing heartedly and looking so happy. Mark has the most beautiful smile and he should always be happy, so Jackson will make sure that’s the case even if he has to look more like a fool. Moreover, if they are laughing then it’s not that odd they touch more, and Jackson will use any excuse he can get.

Still, all of Jackson’s jokes have to stop once they are back to rehearsal, meetings and the rest of things in their schedule because while they work all of them will focus a hundred percent to do their best. Only during breaks they can allow themselves to relax and fool around. 

When they have a break after practising the choreography to the point of exhaustion, Mark crawls (he literally crawls, too tired to even walk) to Jackson’s side, falling to his side and with his head on the younger’s lap, immediately closing his eyes and sighing content.

Jackson smiles fondly before his hand goes to the older’s head, fingers running through Mark’s hair in a soothing caress. Mark sighs deeper, curling a bit more, one hand possessively on Jackson’s thigh. The younger smiles while he continues Mark’s hair, just loving the quiet moment between the two, just sharing soft skinship. The others around them are either dying or being loud, but with Mark it feels like they are in a small bubble for only the two of them.

“This is nice, I could really get used to it,” Mark comments softly, a bit louder than a whisper.

Jackson, who is just sitting on the floor, his back against one of the mirrors, closes his eyes and lifts his head, taking a deep breath. It smells like the sweat of hard work and the joy of burst of laughter, like the saltiness of frustration tears and the sour taste of fear. This space, so familiar for them, where they have spent so many years of their lives, that has witnessed how they grow and mature every day, evolving in a better version of themselves, now is witnessing the two of them finally being together. It feels peaceful and familiar, like home.

Yes, Jackson agrees. He could get used to this, having now Mark to crawl and cuddle after giving his all in every rehearsal.

“It’s nice,” Jackson whispers back.

“You think the fans will like this new comeback? The album?” Mark asks next.

In an industry as competitive as the one they are in, whether they’ll keep the support from their fans or disappoint them is their biggest worry. They work hard but pleasing everyone is impossible and the more fans they get, the harder it becomes. To make it worse, every time new artists debut, with powerful concepts and styles, striving for the best. Every day it gets harder as they grow older.

“I hope so,” Jackson replies. “I don’t ask to win every music show, I just want our fans to enjoy our hard work. If they are happy with what we deliver then that’s enough for me.”

“We’ve been consecutively doing better every time,” Mark ponders next. “It makes it hard to live to the expectations.”

“As long as we do our best, we shouldn’t have regrets, right?”

“Oh,” Mark agrees, curling a bit more into himself.

“Don’t worry, we’ll do well and our fans will like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter