thirteen

Ever-changing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

       

Still shocked and a bit disoriented, Jackson is taken to the hospital. The cut is superficial and taken care of easily, but he still gets a CT to make sure there’s no concussion, which is not the case, so he needs to stay a bit longer in the hospital to monitor him. The fact he’s malnourished only makes the doctors more stern when he insists he can go home.

“Unless you want us to find more reasons to keep you here, I suggest you stay quiet, young man,” says the doctor with whom Jackson’s puppy eyes did not work. No amount of aegyo would change that woman’s mind.

“But I have an MV to shoot today!” Jackson still complains, like a fool because the doctor hisses and makes this very fed up slash threatening expression.

“I’m gonna keep you two days here if you say another word. Are you the leader?” she questions, this time addressing Jaebum next to Jackson.

“Yeh,” the leader confirms, standing straight, hands at his back and alert posture, as if ready to receive a scolding.

“Make sure he stays here and gets some rest or your video will be shot with a zombie instead of an idol. If he carries on like this it could lead to more complications. His nutrition state is deplorable and I’d like to get my hands in all of you idols to make sure you have all the proper meals your body needs instead of stupid and pointless diets.” Jackson blinks, watching the doctor sighing deeply, looking more worked up than a professional should.

Oh, maybe she’s a fan of another group and she’s channeling her frustration and fears on Jackson. He can understand, but he still pouts for it.

“Make sure he stays here and figure how to shoot his parts tomorrow. He won’t get away from that IV until the sun sets,” warns the doctor and gives Jackson one last pointed look before leaving the room where he’s been admitted.

Jackson looks at Jaebum with big pleading eyes and a hopeful smile, expecting his leader to also dismiss the doctor and prioritise their schedule, but the older boy’s eyes are cold and determined.

“You heard her so don’t look at me like that. You stay here and rest. Sleep, eat and everything that they tell you. You will shoot your part and the group parts tomorrow, but today you care about your health.”

“But hyung!” Jackson whines, like a little kid and Jaebum makes this fed up noise that causes the younger to wince in fear.

“This is why you don’t listen! Everyone tells you to eat and rest properly, to take care of yourself. I can’t believe you’re malnourished, that’s worrisome and embarrassing at the same time. I can’t believe I let this happen,” the leader rants, running his hands through his hair in frustration. “You’re not a kid, Jackson.”

Defeated and ashamed, Jackson looks down and focuses on his fingers on his lap, intertwining them while trying not to pout too much. He’s a grownup after all, adults don’t pout because they don’t let them go to work.

“I’m sorry,” the younger boy apologises and can hear Jaebum sighing.

“You better be. Now rest and be more careful from now on. Nobody wants to see you in the hospital or getting hurt,” Jaebum points out, ruffling Jackson’s hair affectionately with a tight smile. Jackson smiles back, sheepishly and with big eyes, making the leader chuckle at such expression. “You fool.” It’s said with utmost fondness so Jackson only smiles wider as the leader walks away, talking to their manager and organising things.

Jackson is left in the hospital room, alone, bored and regretful. Mark was right, if he had paid better attention to his health condition the doctor wouldn’t have been so angry. He would’ve thought better and got up slowly, not getting a cut and concussion. His poor decisions had led him to that hospital bed and now he has the whole day to reflect on his actions.

At first he thinks of doing something productive and work on the lyrics of new songs and such, but he is so tired that he ultimately falls asleep only to be roused to eat and check how everything is going with him, then Jackson is back to sleep. Like that, the day g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter