Chapter 8

What Am I To You? (HIATUS!)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The morning after texting Sana her apology, Mina stares forlornly at her still-unanswered messages as she walks through the school halls. When she enters her classroom and reaches to her desk, she finds that Sana created a fortress of textbooks in the middle of their shared desk. Not only that, she placed her bag in the middle of the desk when usually she would put it infront of her feet. 

Mina frowned at the sight and slumped down onto her chair setting her bag on the floor. She took out her folder and was about to take a few papers out until Sana started talking without looking at her direction. 

"The teacher wanted you to go get today's assignment for the class at the staff room." Sana said in a formal tone as she continued writing with her earphones plugged in.

"Eh? I thought I saw Suzy with them already?" Mina said, looking at Sana's direction who still didn't even spare a glance at her.

"Those are for a different class. Our class is already printed and waiting to be picked up." 

Mina nodded. "Oh. Alright."

Mina sighed to herself as she looked at the wall of textbooks that's blocking her from looking at her desk partner. 

There is a wall that's longer and sturdier than the Great Wall of China. That is a girl's heart that is tightly closed off from a person. 

 

 

Tzuyu, Momo and Sana were all sitting at the cafeteria talking and eating their lunch together. Momo and Sana were both laughing at something Momo said and Tzuyu sat there eating her sandwhich and listening, not at all laughing or smiling of the sort. 

Mina came over with smile and sat down next to Tzuyu, "What are you guys doing?" 

Sana looked up at Mina as she sat down and her smile disappeared. She took out her phone and placed it against her ear and walked away, talking on the phone.

They all watched her walk away from the conversation abruptly but never said anything. Mina's smile was still there but inside she was hurt as she knows Sana is finding excuses to stay away from her.

 

 

After class ended Tzuyu and Mina went to a small restaurant across the school during break and were sitting and having a drink together until Sana came over laughing with Momo following behind.

Mina took a quick shot of her drink and looked over to her side feeling a person standing there. She made eye contact to the one who's been avoiding her the whole day and saw that Sana's smile changed to a disgusted look and made her way around the table so she's sitting next to Tzuyu and Momo next to Mina. 

Mina sat there, her lips pressed together and sat quietly as Tzuyu helped Sana lay out her plate and utensils while smiling at Momo. 

She heaved out a sigh and picked up her chopstick while the waiter set down the food in the middle of the table and everyone started going for it. 

 

 

They all went back to class after they ate and were sitting in the classroom. Tzuyu and Momo were sitting infront of them while Momo was drifting off to sleep, occasionally leaning her head on Tzuyu's shoulder but didn't seem affected by it. 

Mina was sitting by her desk tapping the end of her pencil on the table. They were doing their assignment but Mina was too caught up in her thoughts that she hasn't wrote a single thing on the paper, not even her name. 

Her thoughts were broken off when she heard the teacher calling her name. She blinked for a few moments, confused. She looked over at Tzuyu, who was looking back at her with the same expression as Mina and mouthed, asking what's going on. Tzuyu only shrugged slightly due to the weight from Momo on her shoulder. 

Mina slowly stood up from her desk and walked towards the desk of the teacher who is currently giving her a death glare and stood infront of her desk, both hands together infront of her. 

Tzuyu watched her best friend make her way towards the teachers desk with furrowed eyebrows. What did Mina do this time? 

Sana who was once looking at her paper glanced up to see the strawberry blonde girl standing infront of the teacher. She started wondering what Mina did to get her in trouble but shook that off. She doesn't care what that scene maker does. 

"What are you gonna do, huh?" The teacher, Mrs.Jo, started speaking. Mina stood there silently. 

"You're failing every subject this semester and do you know what that means? People are gonna find that this school has a lazy slacker like you in our school. You're going to make this school look bad."  Mrs.Jo said with a slightly raised voice. "What are you going to do about this?!" 

She turned her laptop around and on the screen displayed Mina's grade for the current semester and what was shown was not pretty. Mina has grades below a 40 in every single classes she's in. Mina didn't say a single word.

Mrs.Jo let out a scoff while turning around her laptop. "The college was going to have someone important to come and visit but it's going to be canceled because of your prefrence of hooking up with someone over studying." She placed her hands on her face and sighed. "If only you didn't go to that dumb field trip and stayed to raise your grades none of this would of happened."

"I understand. I'll try to solve the problem." Mina finally spoke up. 

"So why are you doing something about it right now?!" Mrs.Jo snapped. The room that was once filled with different confersations stopped and Momo woke up from her slumber. Mina looked down. She usually wasn't affected by Mrs.Jo's scolding about her grades but why does it feel different now? 

When Mrs.Jo didnt recieve an answer from the student she smacked her lips and shooked her head. "In any case, the person who caused this will fix the problem. Immediately!" 

Mina bowed and quickly walked back to her desk and sat down, sighing. She glanced up to see Tzuyu and Momo giving her a worried look but waved them off. 

"Ms.Minatozaki!" Mrs.Jo called out as she quickly made her way to Sana's desk. Sana stood up and gave Mrs.Jo her full attention. "Yes,Ma'am?" 

"You didn't turn in those papers and pictures about that field trip to the office, right?"

"I..I already turned them in 5 days ago." Sana answered. 

Mrs.Jo stared at her wide eyed and let out a frustrated groan, rubbing her neck. "Aish, There are bombs exploding here and there. Normally you do things so slowly, but this time you took care of things really quickly." Sana pressed her lips together and looked down.

"When lunch comes, you're the first to leave the room. When you go to the restroom, I don't know when you'll be coming back." Mrs.Jo continued scolding her and went personal about her slowness. She pointed a shaking finger to Mina, "Even your grades are the same."

"Mrs. Jo." A voice cut in. Everyone turned their head to see Mina standing up. "Aren't you being too harsh? You were the one who came up with the idea of going on that field trip." Mina raised her voice. 

Mrs.Jo looked at her up and down. "What?" She glanced at Sana and back at Mina and scoffed. She placed her hands against her hips and walked up to Mina, staring up at her. Mrs.Jo snapped at her face against for her disrespectful attitude. Mina tells Mrs.Jo that she's responsible for everything and that she was the one who told Sana to turn in the papers early.

Mrs.Jo let out a laugh and looked both and Mina and Sana. Sana was still standing there not saying anything and looking at the girl who's defending her. She knew Mina was lying since she went to the office to turn in the papers to avoid her. Mrs.Jo mocks them for being all lovey-dovey on the field trip and not studying instead.

"You are both to catch up your grades for all classes by this weekend. Dont even think about going home!" Mrs.Jo yells out one last time before she turned around and walked back to her desk. 

Mina watched with anger in her eyes and lets out a frustrated sigh and picked up her bag and left the classroom. Sana's eyes followed the figure of Mina walk out and glanced over at the class who was staring with pitiful eyes. Everyone knew it to be the one caught in Mrs.Jo's scolding. She sat back down at her desk with a sigh and sees her two friends giving the same look they gave to Mina.

 

 

"Eh? You're going to class at night again? That teacher is too much." Jihyo said with a frown. After class ended, Sana and Momo both went to meet Jihyo at her restaurant and talked about what happened during class. Sana nodded at Jihyo's question and let out a sigh.

"She's a bad teacher that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world." Momo scrunched up her nose and pouted.

Jihyo looked at Momo and then averted her eyes towards Sana who was sitting with a gloomy expression on and staring at the table. "You'll be together with Mina?"

Sana looked up to meet Jihyo's eyes and frowned. She hated the idea of spending her late night classes with Mina because of their stupid grades. She was planning on going out to drink tonight to release her stress but since she was one of the targets for Mrs.Jo's scoldings, she can't even go home until she finished 60% of her work. 

"But wasn't Mina really cool back there?" Momo spoke up. Both girls turned their heads to Momo who was dreamingly sighing. "When she stepped forward to help Sana, my heart fluttered a lot."

Sana scowled at her best friends words. Jihyo watched Sana as Momo continued swooning over Mina. "Even though Mina usually plays a lot of jokes, she becomes totally different when she's working. Isn't a hardworking person cool?" 

Sana groaned and rolled her eyes. "If she's hardworking, why is she failing?" 

"Yah, you're failing too." Jihyo said as she flicked Sana's forehead. Sana squeaked and placed her hand on her forehead rubbing the sore spot, glaring at Jihyo. She looked at Momo, "A hardworking person is cool, but the girl can get tired.", Jihyo said. Momo and Sana tilted their heads with confused looks. 

The brunnete brought her clasped hands up and rested her chin on them. "The worst kind of person in this world, is a busy person." Jihyo stared longingly at her cup of coffee. Sana noticed Jihyo's expression. Jihyo never really talked about her past relationships and she wondered if that's why she's been single for a long time. 

"You've gotten really burned before, haven't you?" Momo spoke up, curious. 

"No." Jihyo denied, avoided eye contact and picking up her mug and took a sip.

"Ehh, Tell us. I'm really curious as to what kind of person Jihyo-unnie likes." Momo grinned at her.

This seem to catch Sana's interest so she leaned closer to the table. "Did you date someone that was really busy?"

Jihyo sighed. There was no way of lying to them since she already exposed herself. "She was really busy. She was probably the busiest in the world."

"What did that person do?"

"She helped her dad who was a broadcast station PD and on top of that she was a year younger than me."

Sana and Momo nodded. Sana began to think about if Jihyo dated any one of her friends but she doesnt remember anyone who helps out at a broadcast station. Well... except one but she doubts they met each other. 

"But after a few while, she became to busy to the point we barely saw each other. I broke it off with her when she asked for us to live together and she was devastated." The two who sat across from her opened their mouth in surprise. Somehow this all sounded familiar to Sana but she couldn't place a finger on it. 

Jihyo noticed the time and told the two college students to go back for their last class of today with a shooing hand. Momo let out a unattractive groan while Sana pushed her outside which caused Jihyo to laugh behind her hand. They both waved good bye at the restaurant owner and made their way back to the hell hole called college.

 

 

The bell rang and everyone in the classroom started packing up and leaving the room to freedom with friends. Sadly Mina and Sana had to stay. Mina was biting her nails while staring at her computer screen until Momo walked over to Sana's desk holding a small box in a plastic wrap. 

"Eat this while you're working." Momo grinned.

Sana looked at the small snack and looked up at Momo with a thankful smile and a laugh. Momo placed the snack on Sana's hand and Sana

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter