Chapter 12

What Am I To You? (HIATUS!)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Don't answer it." Sana blurts out. Mina turns and looks at Sana confused, her thumb hovering over the screen. 

"That call... Don't answer it." Sana repeats in a desperate tone. 

 

Mina is so surprised when Sana tells her not to answer that she just stares at her for a moment. Sana was looking back at her with furrowed eyebrows and she swallowed the lump in harshly. They stared at each other for quite a while until Mina broke into a big grin.

"Yah, Minatozaki Sana..." Mina came over to Sana nudged her, "You were touched by me, huh?"

Sana gaped at Mina who was still showing that grin of hers that you could see her silver tooth on her molars. She was flustered by her own outburst and waves her off like it's nothing. 

"Shut up. I'll take you." 

"Eh?" Mina furrowed her eyebrows.

"I-I said I'll take you to the bus stop." 

"What are you talking about? It's late. Go inside. Your house is nearby." Mina said. She doesn't know why Sana wants to take her to the bus stop but it's probably her just being weird again. 

Sana stood there, thinking of a lame excuse and when she did, she grabbed Mina's arms. "I was planning to go to the convenience store anyway!" She was internally screaming. Why the hell is Sana being so pushy all of the sudden and trying to find dumb excuse to avoid going to her house. She began dragging Mina towards the direction of the bus stop and Mina blinked in confusion. 

"Yah, I bought you seaweed soup and brought it for you. What else do you need to buy this late at night?" Mina asked while being forced to walk by the shorter one. 

The blonde ignored her and just kept on pulling the other Japanese. "Ah, just go." 

Mina could only sigh as she was being dragged. 

 

They stood by the bus stop and Sana kept quiet the whole time, fiddling her fingers while looking anywhere but Mina's direction. Mina didn't seem to mind the silence as she just stood there with her hands in her pockets, rocking back and forth on her feet. 

When Mina saw the lights of the bus she turned her body to be face to face with Sana and the other looked up at her. 

"I'll be going." Mina said.

Sana stared at her for a moment and nodded her head. Mina smiled at Sana and placed her hand on top of her head. Sana breath hitched at the contact. Her heart was beginning to beat faster and the fact that Mina was standing so close to her wasn't helping one bit. The bus halted to a stop in front of them and Mina gave her a small ruffle of the hair and turned around to enter the bus. 

Sana watched her about to get on the bus but she couldn't stop herself and called out to the girl who was retreating into the bus. "Mina." 

Mina stopped in her tracks and turned around to look at Sana. She swallowed the lump in and continued, "Thanks for the present.", she said in her mother tongue. 

The strawberry blonde grinned, "So be good to me from now on.", she jokes in the same language which caused Sana to giggle. Mina got on the bus and waved at the blonde through the window with a smile. Sana waved back and she was no longer in Mina's vision. 

Mina's smile began to fade, disappointed that the moment got glossed over. 

 

 

Mina decided to go out and have dinner with Jungyeon, seeing that her fake roommate wasn't working and that her real roommate was out being productive. Mina told the bob hair girl about everything that happened awhile ago and Jungyeon stared at her astonished. 

"Really, Sana? Yah that girl likes you."

Mina took a sip of her beer from the cup and shook her head. "That's not it." 

"I'm right! If it's not like that, then why didn't she let you answer Momo's phone call? Sana was jealous." 

Mina was silent. Jungyeon was probably right but she doubts that Sana likes her. She probably did that for a different reason. 

"But what did you buy for her birthday that she fell for you in one blow? You bought her a bag, didn't you?"

"What do you mean by bag," Mina scoffed, "I got her seaweed soup." 

"A mere seaweed soup?" Jungyeon rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue, "When I buy a 300,000 won bag for someone, they take it and run off."

Mina snorted, holding in her laugh. Jungyeon grinned. "Sana is really weird. How can she fall for you because of seaweed soup?" 

Mina's smile disappeared from her face and scowled at her friend. "I'm telling you, she didn't fall for me." 

"But weren't things going well with Momo, the one with the nice body?" 

"Aniya." Mina released a exhausted sigh. She was growing tired of Jungyeon's nosiness and made a mistake on getting dinner together. 

"Then just try to do well with Sana again. Ignore the consequences and just push forward. Just kiss her." 

Mina glared at the other before releasing a groan and turning her head away from her. She hears Jungyeon laugh and brought up about how she got slapped for pulling that . She was starting to get annoyed hearing Jungyeon laughed so she threw a crunched up ball of tissue paper at her. That got her to finally shut . 

"Yah, I barely made things better with her. If I rush, being friends and whatnot, at that point it's all over." Mina picked at her food.

"Then do that thing youre good at." Mina looked at Jungyeon, confused about what she's talking about. Jungyeon rolled her eyes seeing how dumb Mina is. "If it's green light or not. Try to get that from her." 

Mina shook her head. "No. It's not gonna work."

". Then live as friends forever." Jungyeon scoffed, "Just try to get a response from her. She's too clueless to notice." 

"It's fine, you punk. Why should a person do that...So cheap." 

Jungyeon gave her face and scowled. "You always rode a different bus and went back home in a circle like an idiot. Tch. You would always come home late at night and Nayeon would nag at you. But finally now, I see some hope." Mina was looking away hiding her smile. Jungyeon was being optimistic that things will work out and it gave Mina a little bit of hope.

Jungyeon put down her chopsticks and picked up the glass of beer. "Here, congrats in advance. Let's have a drink." They clicked their glass together and both took a swig of their drink and both laughed together. 

 

With one word of no importance, hope surfaces again. 

Other than that person, everything seems meaningless. 

When I discover the side of me I've never known about. 

That's when people have fallen in love. 

The next morning, Mina was leaning back on her chair, earbuds plugged in and staring up at the ceiling. Tzuyu was finishing for other classes occasionally stopping to watch a video Momo shows her. The teacher hasn't arrived yet and the classroom was filled with noises and a few screaming here and there.

But all that noise stopped when someone walked into the classroom. Mina noticed how quiet the room got and paused her music. It was dead silent and when she turned her attention to where everyones attention was, her eyes widen and dropped.

There walked Sana, clad in an appropriate but beautiful dress, looking like a completely different person with her blonde hair tied into a high ponytail and wearing the makeup Momo gave her. Everyone was staring at her in awe. Even Tzuyu was going glassy-eyed for Sana.

She was walking to her desk before Momo stopped her in her tracks and started complementing her here and there. Sana argued back with her and she shifted her eyes towards Mina who literally can't stop staring and smiling, a hand covering . 

"Are you going somewhere today?" Momo asks 

"Ani. I just sort of put on what you gave me." Sana said, shuffling her feet and looking around flustered. 

"Please do this more in the future. Look how pretty you are!" Momo looked over at Tzuyu who was zoned out and was still ogling her, "Right, Tzuyu?" 

Tzuyu broke out of her daze and looked at Momo. After registering the question Momo was talking about she smiled up at Sana and nodded. "Yeah."

Sana giggled and lightly pushed Momo's shoulder. "Ah, how embarrassing. Stop it."

When Sana walked towards Mina, Mina forced herself to stopped smiling and pretended to write something in her journal that was open on her desk, her hand still covering just in case a smile peeped out of her. Sana sat down in her seat and Mina looked over at Sana with her lips pursed. 

"Yah, what happened that you come today looking like a girl?" Mina teased. 

Sana looked at her with a face. "Just say I'm pretty." 

Mina grunted loudly. "Huh! 'Pretty.'" She looked away and got on her phone. Sana pouted. 

".....You're going on a blind date, aren't you?" Mina looked at Sana again. 

"Nope." Sana replied while taking out her laptop. 

Mina looked at her dress and back at Sana's face. "So then who are you trying to look good for?"

Sana sighed. "Stop being interested." 

Mina scoffed. 

Sana has changed.

Perhaps...

Mina took out her computer and turned it on. Thankfully there was enough space between them for Mina search something online privately. When Mina sees that Sana is to engrossed into her assignments, Mina typed in the search engine; "When girls act this way.... It's a green light?" Mina would occasionally look at her screen and side eye Sana. 

"Mina." Sana called out. Mina turned her head towards the blonde, "I'm going to the store, but..." Mina didn't hear the rest since she focused on Sana brushing her hair behind her ear. Mina looked at her computer excitedly.

'Green Light Possibility 1. When she speaks, she touches the back of her ear to show you the side of her neck. 30%'

Mina watched Sana get up and leave the classroom to do something and when she left, Mina grinned to herself.

Yes! 30%!

 

It was lunch break and Mina, Sana, Tzuyu and Momo were sitting at a small round table near. She wasn't paying much attention to what any of them were saying since she was to caught up with find signs from Sana. Mina looked over at Sana and stared at how her legs were crossed. 

'2. When she crosses her legs, her toes are pointed towards me. 50%'

Mina openly beams and began to get jittery in excitement.

Now it's 50%!

 

They were back at the classroom and was assigned group work. Momo and Tzuyu turned their desks around so that they're in square and while talking amongst themselves, Mina catches Sana taking off the ponytail and moving her hair to show off her neck. 

'3.Moving her hair behind her ears and showing her neck and ear. 80%'

Mina smile grew bigger and internally fist pumped, taking deep breaths. 

Daebak! It's 80% now!

 

Mina was walking back and forth in front of the school now, hands in her pockets.

If one more is correct, then I'm sure it's 100%

She saw that Sana and Tzuyu were currently talking in front of the schools gates and Mina was just a few feets behind them. 

'4.Sneakily pulls of skin ship. 100%'

Mina hunches forward a little, bringing her jacket close to her and sidles up to Sana while she's talking to Tzuyu, pretending to have a fever. She came over faking a discomfort look on her face and groaning.

"Agh, my head hurts." Mina says while rubbing her head.

"Are you sick?" Tzuyu asks, eyebrows furrowed. 

"I think I have a fever too. My head hurts so much that I feel like I'm dying." Mina lied in hopes of having Sana feel her forehead. She literally had no subtlety, trying to nudge her head closer to Sana who only looked at her. Mina began to fake groan and closed her eyes and when she felt a hand on her forehead she smiled to herself. When she opens her eyes she pauses to see Tzuyu have one hand on her forehead and the other on Mina's.

"Oh. It's true." Tzuyu said. Mina turned around frustrated while glaring at the floor while Tzuyu pulled her hand away, oblivious to what Mina is trying to do, "Do you want cold medicine?"

"Just say you're not feeling well, and go home and get some sleep instead of pssing your cold." Sana said. 

Mina scoffed. "Do you want to catch it?" Mina began to cough on Sana and she immediately hid behind Tzuyu who was blocking her face.

"If you pass it on to me, I will just..."

Mina stopped faking her cough to look the other way, smirking to herself. 

Yes, you have to be careful. 

She's not a normal girl, but Minatozaki Sana

​Mina turned back around covered to fake her cough again. 

 Jihyo walked over to the entrance of her restaurant and flipped the sign to 'Open' and began to clean the windows. She pauses when she hears a voice. 

"I came exactly at the right time." 

Jihyo turned to see Dahyun walking up to her, holding a folder and a big smile on her face. "I'm stopping by on the way to school. I can have morning coffee right?" 

The owner of the restaurant just nodded and pointed a finger back over their shoulder. She moves back to let Dahyun through and she lets out a big sigh. 

Dahyun greets one of the staff politely who was wiping down the counter and whens he turns to look for a seat, she finds a very familiar small girl. A smile spread across Dahyun's mouth. 

"Huh? Evelyn is here too!" Dahyun heads straight for Jihyo's younger sister who was off school today. She took a seat next to her and after Evelyn gave her a small toy animal, they began to play while Dahyun was making sound effects causing Evelyn to giggle

Jihyo walked in and watched with a pursed lips. She decided that Evelyn wouldn't be in any harm and went into the kitchen. 

Dahyun continued playing with Evelyn, asking what kind of sounds certain animals make and with much thought she asks Evelyn if they should go see real animals. Jihyo came to the table carrying Dahyun's coffee, hearing about Dahyun's idea of going to the zoo. Jihyo crossed her arms.

"When should we go? Should we go tomorrow?"

"Evelyn, Unnie is busy so you can't. Later, you can go with me and Somi unnie." Jihyo directed her eyes to Dahyun. "Don't let her have expectations. She'll be thinking about it all day."

"I'm not just saying it."

"You're busy, Dahyun."

"It's nice to hear you say my name again." Dahyun smiled. "I'm not busy at all! The thing that I have left is free time nowadays." 

Jihyo furrowed her eyebrows.

"What I'm saying is that since I'm graduating soon and it's not as hectic back at the office, I can even get a part time job here. Since we're on the topic, shall we go tomorrow?"

Dahyun takes out her phone to look at the calendar and brights up instantly. "Ah, tomorrow's Saturday! That's perfect. Let's go tomorrow"

Jihyo shuffled her feet. "I said later."

"Ey, the kid said she wanted to go! If an adult has made a promise they have to keep that promise! I don't know about anything else, but I'm the kind of person who keeps his promise!"

The brunette girl gave her a knowing look and Dahyun got the message. She scratched her neck and averted her eyes away from Jihyo. 

"Well... it's a bit late so it's different. Anyways... Let's go."

The owner was a bit hesitant. Dahyun looks at her with sincere eyes and promise her that whenever she's free, she'll make time for it and with a nod, she continues playing with Evelyn. 

Sana was sipping her soda in Jihyo's restaurant and updating the owner with the situation about Mina while Jihyo had on her chin placed above her hands. 

"So? Did you really agree to date?" Jihyo asks. 

Sana sighed. "What do you mean date?"

The brunette smirked, "Ooh, I think you two will start dating soon."

"I said we won't."

Jihyo leaned forward, "Then why are you dressed so prettily today? It's suspicious."

"It's the cold season now. I wanted a change."

"Yah, Sana-ah, date while you are still this pretty. Later you won't be able to no matter how much you want to. Look at me."

"What about you? You are still extremely pretty."

Jihyo blushed and tried to contain her smile. "Is that so?"

"But... Is there no one you are seeing?"

The older one's expression changed at that question. "M-me? Why would I be dating?"

"Wae? Unnie, don't be that way, Instead... Do you want to try going on a blind date? There's this person at my school..." 

Jihyo cut her off, "It's fine. I'm okay with just my younger sisters."

"Okay but like I'm not fine with you." They hear from Somi who was wiping down the counter. Jihyo lifted up a threatening fist but Somi just stuck out her tongue which made Sana laugh.

Jihyo's phone buzzed indicating she got a text message. Sana watched Jihyo pick up the phone and read the message; 

Are you going tomorrow? You're going, right? If you're going, make sure to contact me. Thinking about it too long is not good for your health.- Dahyun

Jihyo sighs and Sana zero's in on how weird she's acting and suspects that her unnie finally has a new love interest, begging Jihyo to tell her more about the person but Jihyo shakes her head with a smile on her face.

It was close to being night time and Dahyun sat in front of her computer looking at the videos that are needed to be looked over at before broadcasting them for her dad. She sighs with her cheek resting on her hand. She couldn't work through the agony of waiting for an answer and ends up calling Jihyo.

[Hello?]

[H-hello? It's me. Tomorrow... You're going to the zoo, right?]

[Um...]

[I have to keep the promise I made to Evelyn.]

[I think it will be difficult.]

Dahyun couldn't hide her disappointment. [Is that so? Then what about the day after tomorrow?]

[Sorry, I'm busy right now. I'm hanging up.] 

Dahyun pulled the phone away from her ear after hearing the line end. She sighs again and placed her forehead into her hands.

 

Meanwhile, Jihyo was cleaning up the tables and placing the glasses and mugs onto a tray, occasionally looking back between Evelyn, who was walking around and picking up left over trash on the tables and putting it in the bin, and Somi, who was behind the cashier drying the cups with a towel. She couldn't help but smile at how helpful her siblings were even though they could be a pain. 

Her smile left her face when her phone starts vibrating and sees the contact name trying to call her. She huffs and answers the call.

[What again?]

[Yeah, it's me. What are you doing tomorrow?]

[I said I can't]

[Ah, right. You said you can't, right? Then what about leaving around 10am?]

Jihyo hears the doors jingle and looks up to see a customer walk in. [A customer came in. Hanging up.] 

She ended the call and quickly went to assist the new customer.

 

Dahyun placed down her phone with a groan and placed her head on the table, her hand rubbing her neck in stress. She lifted up her head and decided to continue editing the videos. Sadly, she couldn't focus and tried calling Jihyo again, only to get her voicemail. 

 

Jihyo was sitting behind the counter reading a book with Evelyn until she sees the same name trying to call her over and over again. She lets out a frustrated sigh and answers th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter