Seventh

The Lawyer

            Taeyeon is pre-occupied by the image of a certain girl she knew two years ago. She doesn’t know what to do; be friends with her again or is it time for revenge? Revenge for the pain the girl has inflicted on her. But if she thinks of it, Tiffany didn’t even inflict pain to her, she just felt it when Yuri told her the words that would stab her hard in the heart. She chose to be pained, there was no reason to be pained anyway, she just wanted to help and be friends with them, was it really just the reason?

            If it was, she should have not felt pain because there were no feelings involved. Maybe, just maybe, she denied her feelings.

            She sighs then presses the phone on the telephone to alert Sunny that she needs her,

            “Bunny.” She raises her eyebrows at the unresponsive secretary, “Sunny?”

            She rolls her eyes at the missing secretary then stands up to check on the table. She was disappointed to see no one. She looks around then sees Sooyoung approaching her with a folder in hand,

            “Have you seen Sunny?” She asks and she gets a shake of a head in response.

            “I last saw her in the paralegal’s office though, about two hours ago.”  Sooyoung adds.

            Taeyeon’s face displayed horror, what if Sunny was talking to Tiffany and asking her about things that would dig Taeyeon’s grave. She mumbles something that Sooyoung didn’t catch.

            “Thanks man.” She mutters as she pats Sooyoung’s arm.

            Sooyoung’s jaws drops as she touches the spot that Taeyeon patted. Fangirling isn’t her thing but she can do it for Taeyeon. Now she thinks they’re friends because of what had happened.

            “She touched me.” She squeaks, “I’m her man now.” Then giggles.

            Taeyeon on the other hand was about to enter the elevator when Jessica went out of it. She points to Taeyeon then makes a come hither motion. Taeyeon was torn again, the last time she had to choose between Tiffany and Jessica, she chose the boss because it’s her job they’re talking about.

            “Uhm, is this about my job?” Taeyeon stupidly asks and surprisingly, Jessica nods back,

            “This is about our job.”

            “What?”

            “To the conference room, now.” Jessica commands and Taeyeon immediately follows. She is curious about what would make Jessica quite panicked. The only person she knows who would make Jessica’s legs shake is her father and of course, Yunho. The man owns the other “Jung” in Jung and Jung. He was a partner.

            As they enter the conference room, Taeyeon snaps out of her thoughts then stops. She thinks it’s about the person.

            “Yunho is back.” Jessica answers.

            “What? Yunho? Isn’t he in New York?”

            Jessica sighs as she shakes her head, “He’s back and he wants this firm back.” She faces Taeyeon then tells her to sit, “If he comes back this firm will go down with both of us.”

            Taeyeon’s eyes widens, “He’s stolen millions from the firm, can’t we stop him from going back here?”

            “I’m afraid that’s impossible, we don’t have enough evidence to put him to jail and besides, he promised he won’t go back if I don’t press charges.”

            “But I saw him! With our former senior partner!” Taeyeon remembers it clearly, how she saw them in a hotel room while Yunho’s mother was fighting for her life in the hospital.

            “Well, unless Hyoyeon testifies against Yunho, we can’t do anything to stop him from coming back.”

            Suddenly, the tiny light bulb appears above Taeyeon’s head. She snaps her fingers then smirks devilishly, “What if I close Hyoyeon?”

            “I don’t think that’s possible, Tae. She hates us and everything that’s ours for stripping her off of her license. We caused her downfall.” Jessica answers back as she shakes her head.

            “I am the best closer in Korea, Jess, I think I can close her!” Taeyeon defends.

            Jessica sends her a glare, “I am the boss here and I say you, can’t close her. It’s too dangerous.” She stands up then fixes her dress, “I think we’re done here.”

            Taeyeon balls her fists as she watch Jessica walk away from her. No one tells her what to do, she knows what she can do and Jessica can’t do anything about it. She stands up then exits the conference room too, thinking where she’d go next.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

            “So, what do you think of Taeyeon?” Sunny asks as she helps Tiffany fix her things in her new office. She sees Tiffany smile as she puts the books on the shelves,

“I think she’s a little hard on me.” The taller girl shrugs.

“Taeyeon is kind as long as you agree with her, you know.” Sunny reasons, “but I don’t always agree with her. Which is why we’re close.” She laughs and Tiffany laughs with her.

However, the taller girl has a question in mind that she wants answered. She remembers Sooyoung warning her about Taeyeon sleeping with everyone, she’s curious on how many of what Sooyoung said was correct.

“Uh, a while ago, Miss Choi warned me about Taeyeon. She said that Taeyeon sleeps with anyone and the only person she has not slept with is you and her.” She bites her lips because she thinks she asked it soon enough, “I-is that true?”

Sunny made a mental note to punch Sooyoung in the face later when she sees her, “That isn’t true. Taeyeon does not sleep with anyone. She has fun at times but not in the way you’re thinking.” She defends.

As if on cue, Taeyeon enters the office startling the both of them,

“We got a problem.” She says as she looks at Sunny, “Yunho is coming back”

Sunny gasps in shock, “He can’t come back because Jessica and him had an agreement.”

Taeyeon whips up a document then shows it to Sunny, “It’s a non-disclosure agreement Sunny. That son of a .”

Tiffany was standing there specifically looking at Taeyeon. She looks much ier than the last time she saw her and it’s also her first time to see the woman in action. She’s hot when she’s mad and hotter when she bites her lip. She watches as bullet-like sweat drip down from Taeyeon’s neck.

“Tiffany.. Tiff… Earth to Tiffany, are you there?” Sunny snaps her fingers when she notices Tiffany spacing out.

“Sorry, I was thinking of something.” The girl answers when she regains consciousness.

Taeyeon points at Tiffany then eyes her from head to toe, “You, you will help me find that girl.”

“Hyoyeon?” Sunny asks. She isn’t sure if Tiffany’s ready for it or not.

“Hyoyeon isn’t part of Jung and Jung anymore so the agreement does not apply to her.” Taeyeon answers back. She goes back to Tiffany then grips on both her arms, “You need to help us.” Her eyes were almost begging without even knowing it.

Tiffany couldn’t help but stare back at the pair of onyx orbs that was staring back at her. It was the same pair of eyes which captivated Seohyun and it was the same pair of eyes she loved shortly. She opens to speak but catches herself tongue-tied, Taeyeon was just too close to her face,

“I-I, what should I do?” she asks.

Taeyeon loosens the grip on the younger girl’s arms as Sunny hands her some documents. Somehow, Tiffany was disappointed that the warmth disappeared. She looks at Taeyeon and wonders if she’s single, but hey, why was she asking that? It’s unprofessional! She shakes her head then walks closer to peep at the document too, it looks like an employee profile.

“Huh?” Tiffany unconsciously mutters as the employee looks familiar, “Ms. Hyo?”

Sunny and Taeyeon eye each other then back at Tiffany who was now holding the document. She knows Hyoyeon?

“You know her, Tiff?” Sunny asks.

She grins when she sees Tiffany nodding her head. She smirks at Taeyeon then pushes her next to Tiffany, “How ‘bout you two go and look for her, then?” she suggests, wiggling her eyebrows at Taeyeon who was giving her a look.

“She’s a professor in our school.” Tiffany smiles as she looks at Taeyeon.

And Taeyeon feels like her heart skipped a beat, but that’s just her.

“I’ll go and call the company driver so he could drive you to the school” Sunny was about to dial the driver’s number but Taeyeon stopped her, “Why not?”

“Jessica doesn’t know that I’m doing this. She wants me to not do anything.”

She smacks Taeyeon then smacks her again, “Then why are you risking it?”

“Because Yunho will come back and we will all lose our job.” Taeyeon shakes her head then rubs the back of her neck. She points at Tiffany then signals her to come closer, “You will come with me”

“Taeyeon, doesn’t she hate you and everything around you?” Sunny asks as she stops Taeyeon.

“I’ll have to see for myself.” She gives Sunny a smile then walks away with Tiffany following suit.

~~~~~~~~~

Taeyeon presses the button on her car keys and the car lights up. It’s a new car. Tiffany thought she’d see the car Taeyeon had a few years back but maybe the woman’s car taste changed too, just like her. Tiffany doesn’t blame her though; no one stays the way they were.

She snaps out of her thought when Taeyeon hits the horn.

“Are you coming or not, Hwang?” she hollers from inside the car.

Tiffany rolls her eyes at her. She’s changed. She isn’t the kind hearted lawyer anymore. She’s now sarcastic, someone who would make Tiffany cry at night for being to harsh. She opens the car’s door and slams it closed. She gets pissed even more when Taeyeon chuckles.

Tiffany crosses her arms and sulks like a kid however, she tenses when she sees Taeyeon nearing her face. She was inches away from her cheeks! The younger girl closes her eyes because she couldn’t look at Taeyeon,

“What are you doing? Closing your eyes like that. I just want to put your seatbelt on. I don’t want the police officers to stop the car because someone isn’t wearing a seatbelt.” Taeyeon explainsas she shrugs. She herself was nervous but she didn’t want Tiffany to see or even feel.

The dumbfounded girl exhales heavily then opens her eyes.

“R-right.” She answers back.

Taeyeon starts the car then drives off. There is a pregnant silence that ensued afterwards. Tiffany had a lot of questions in mind and a lot of things to say to the woman but she can’t say it because she’s embarrassed.

“I’m sorry.” She mutters.

“What for?” Taeyeon answers back. She doesn’t think anyone needs to say sorry for the past, “For pushing me away?” she adds, unconsciously.

Tiffany bites her lip then looks down, “I did not push you away. I just think that you shouldn’t help us because you aren’t Seohyun’s----“

“Father.”  Taeyeon continues, the grip on the wheel tightening, “I know, I know.”

Tiffany doesn’t know what to say anymore. It seems that Taeyeon would most probably reject everything that she’ll say, she figures that maybe it isn’t the right time to apologize to Taeyeon and besides, why is she apologizing anyway?

“I don’t even need to apologize!” She argues, Taeyeon was getting on her nerves, a little hard to get, that is.

“I didn’t tell you to apologize, Miss Hwang.” Taeyeon quips, eyes not wavering.

Tiffany doesn’t exactly know what to retort but the way Taeyeon called her ticks her off, “So I’m Miss Hwang now?!”

Taeyeon suddenly hits the brakes then stares at Tiffany, her eyes were displaying all sorts of negative emotions, “well what do you want me to call you then? You didn’t want me to get involved right? You don’t want me to get the wrong idea again, right?!”

Tiffany’s jaw was agape as she sees Taeyeon breathing heavily. She just wants her to call her by her name, just like the last time they met but it looks like Taeyeon doesn’t want anything to do with her again.

“Nothing, just drive. Miss Hyoyeon might leave early today.” Tiffany trailed off.

Taeyeon shakes her head in disbelief as she drives again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Both their minds have been pre-occupied by the thought of each other. They didn’t ask for this, why did they have to meet again? It’ll just be very awkward and they don’t think they can work with each other; one who thinks she’s the best and the other thinks she’s going to be better.

            “Stop the car.” Tiffany demands as she notices a familiar blonde girl walking outside the school campus.

            Taeyeon rolls her eyes and doesn’t do so, “Why? You decide you want to leave the car and just walk to meet Professor Hyoyeon?” she sarcastically answers back.

            Tiffany clutches at Taeyeon’s arms as she sees the professor disappearing from their sight.

            “You moron!” She says as she smacks Taeyeon’s arm. The older girl was in pain, obviously Tiffany is mad now, “I saw Professor walk by!!” she argues. Taeyeon slows down then parks the car at the side. Without waiting for her, Tiffany immediately goes out and runs after the professor.

            “Professor Hyo!” She shouts, luckily, the professor hears her and turns around to greet her with a smile,

“Miss Hwang!” The professor says as she smiles wider.

Tiffany catches her breath then returns the smile to the professor, “I-I want to ask you something.” She asks, running out of breath.

“Sure, what is it honey?”

“Remember me?” Taeyeon suddenly speaks. In Tiffany’s mind, the older girl blew their chance of befriending Hyoyeon.

Hyoyeon’s eyes widens at the sight of the lawyer. She remembers her pretty clearly, she’s the reason why she was stripped off of her license, she’s the reason why she can’t practice law anymore. She clenches her jawsat the horrible sight of her.

“What are you doing here, Kim Taeyeon?” Hyoyeon asks through gritted teeth, “Did Jessica send her guard dog again?”

Taeyeon got pissed, she is no one’s guard dog. Jessica’s enemies seem to regard her as the guard dog and she’s tired of hearing it.

“Listen, woman, I came here to ask you about Jung Yunho, help us stop him from going back to the firm.”

Hyoyeon laughs then looks at Taeyeon incredulously, how dare this woman ask her to do that! And this is the same woman who made her life a living hell!

“Listen to me now, Taeyeon, Yunho will come back for you and there is no reason that you’ll be able to beat him this time, not without my help, at least. But unfortunately, no I don’t want to help you. You made my life a living hell? Now I’m going to make sure you suffer the same fate.” The professor threatens, “You will pay for everything that you’ve done to me.”

“Hyoyeon, you’re a lawyer you know that what Yunho did is against the law.” Taeyeon answers back.

“You don’t care about laws, Taeyeon, all you want is money, all Jessica wants is money. So don’t give that law-crap of yours because it ain’t working.”

“Just help us, please.”

“You fired me without giving me a second chance. I can’t wait to hear in the news that Yunho has kicked your sorry and has torn your pride to pieces. I’m done.”

And with that, the two women watch as the professor walks away.

“You blew it, Kim!” Tiffany is mad, she was beyond mad. If only Taeyeon hadn’t barged in and asked the stupid remember me question, maybe they stood a chance.

“Easy there, junior.” Taeyeon wipes her sweat then looks at Tiffany, “We have until Yunho arrives to persuade that lady to help us.”

“We could have persuaded her right now if you didn’t come in the picture, Taeyeon!”

“Hey,” Taeyeon cuts her off, “I told you to chill. I’m the best closer in Korea and I’m going to close that lady.”

Tiffany opens in disbelief. She has never, ever met anyone as confident as Taeyeon.