Sixth

The Lawyer

 

            2 years later…

            Taeyeon’s been better for the past two years. She’s been better because of Sunny and sometimes, Sooyoung too. She’s opened up to a few people because she thinks that the best way to move on is to surround yourself with positive people. But hey, if she thinks about it, it’s not like she needs to move on from something or someone, there was never even a “couple” in the first place; whatever did happen, she was at fault and she doesn’t deny it.

            She’s changed a lot too; sassier and slyer than the Taeyeon two years ago. She’s built a new wall around her that only Sunny can enter, sometimes, Jessica too.

            “Taeyeon, I don’t think anyone deserves this better than you do…” Jessica has always been calm, even when she’s going to deliver an exciting news to someone so Taeyeon had no idea whatthe woman was saying.

            The older girl quirks her eyebrow as they approach a bigger office covered in glass. The firm’s been undergoing renovations and office walls are now made of glass and anyone can see what you’re doing inside.

            “Jessica?” She asks tentatively when Jessica opens the office with a rare smile. She opens in awe, Taeyeon is getting it. All the work she’s done, all the cases she’s won and all the people she closed, she was going to receive the prize she’s always been waiting to receive.

            “Congratulations, Senior Partner.” Jessica seems to read the questions in Taeyeon’s mind, she extends her hand and congratulates Taeyeon.

            “This is serious, right?” Taeyeon asks in disbelief. She enters the office and scans it, it is more spacious and more luxurious than the office she worked in for years. As her eyes land outside the office, there was a much bigger table for her secretary, it was a round, wooden table presumably made of the best type of wood but she wouldn’t know because she isn’t a wood expert.

            “Sunny’s still my secretary, right?” She asks again, she doesn’t want a new secretary. She just wants Sunny, they’re partners for life!

            Jessica nods then sits down comfortably on the couch across Taeyeon’s new table.

            “You’re welcome.” She winks then glances at Taeyeon who was obviously too happy to speak, “The board thinks you deserve everything that you are receiving right now; the awards, the support, everything, so, by unanimous decision, here’s your new office.”

            “Wow, can this day get any better?”

            “Unfortunately, no. Don’t flatter yourself, Taeyeon.” Jessica smirks then waves a finger, “You got to get back to work because Sunny’s already moved your things here. So, get back to work, Kim!” She commands then smacks Taeyeon’s .

            Taeyeon smiles then grabs a hold of Jessica’s arm, she pulls her to her and they look into in each other’s eyes which causes Taeyeon to smirk, “I’d date you but I don’t want to die yet.” She quips then lets go of Jessica.

            Jessica exhales exasperatedly, rolls her eyes at the girl, “I admit that you are perfect in some way but I wouldn’t date you too!”  then walks away.

            A minute later, Sunny walks in with a bottle of wine and two glasses.

            “Hello there, woman.” A smirk makes its way to as she puts the glasses down on Taeyeon’s new table. She pours some wine on the glasses then gives one to Taeyeon. They toast then smile at each other,

            “We did it!!” Sunny suddenly squeals. She couldn’t help but be happy. This was their goal. She would never leave Taeyeon’s side because they just aren’t going to work properly without each other, they’re a package, if Taeyeon goes, Sunny goes.

            “I wouldn’t have done it without you Bunny.” Taeyeon laughs then captures Sunny into a headlock. Nothing;s really changed with their relationship, just got a little closer.

            “This is no time for drama, Tae. How ‘bout you treat me to dinner later?” Sunny winks as she teases Taeyeon. She isn’t teasing though, she is damn serious and Taeyeon sure knows it.

            “That wasn’t a question, right?” Taeyeon asks tentatively. She smiles wider when Sunny just left her with a smirk. “Sassy as usual.”

~~~~~~~~~~

            Who says she can’t reach her dream? She’s entered law school because of her hard work and extreme intelligence. She is now at the top of her class. Just because she has committed mistakes in the past doesn’t mean that she can’t correct these mistakes in the present. She’s now better, bolder and… older.

            She fixes her glasses as she reads the law book she is currently studying. Studying is fun especially if she has an inspiration. She doesn’t need anyone else to help her; she can give her daughter a wonderful and better life without anyone helping her. Of course, she still has the two best friends she has had since the beginning.

            Her phone beeps but she ignores it. There’s nothing more important than the test she’d be having later.

            “Hey unnie.”

            She just hums because she already knows who that is just by hearing the sound of her voice.

            “Hello Yoona, where’s Yul?” the girl in glasses asks, as she sees Yoona scrolling through her phone. She doesn’t mind because she doesn’t have to hide anything.

            “Still in class, Tiff.” Yoona scrunches her eyebrows then opens wide, if Tiffany was right, it was because she’s happy, “Jung and Jung responded to your resume, unnie” she says.

            Tiffany looks at her in disbelief. She gasps in excitement but she didn’t want to be rejected. She sent the law firm an application because she wants to have experience before she graduates from law school. She’s applied as a paralegal, someone who assists the lawyers in cases. She’s the to-go-to in times of needs.

            “Okay Yoong, read the e-mail and don’t speak if I didn’t get the job.” She was panicking, she isn’t ready for rejection.

            Yoona opens the e-mail and her face fails. She gives Tiffany a sad look,

            “Congratulations, Miss Hwang. We are delighted to have you in our firm. Please confirm and send us again your resume then you can start as soon as possible. Welcome to Jung and Jung!!!” The girl excitedly reads.

            Both of them squeal in happiness, forgetting that they’re inside the library. A few moments later, the librarian peeps and says,

            “Shhh…”

            Tiffany and Yoona cover their mouths then giggles.

            “Let’s get out of here.” Tiffany says as she bites her lip to suppress the giggle.

~~~~~~~~~~

            “Sunny, is the firm hiring new people?” Sooyoung asks. Her face displayed annoyance but she’s always like that and Sunny knows her too well to not know, “If we are, why didn’t I know of this?” she adds.

            Sunny sighs but continues to work in her table. She could work and work and still be able to hear and talk about the latest rumours in the office. She knows everything and everyone which is why Taeyeon likes her.

            “Yes, we hired a new paralegal, Soo.” She uninterestingly answers back, rolling her eyes as she does so.

            “I should meet it, then! No new employee gets past me.”

            “Why would you want to meet the new one? And it’s a she by the way; top of the class in Korea’s number one law school?”  Sunny boasts, she hired the paralegal and Sooyoung is stepping on her ego.

            “Yeah, yeah, fine.” Sooyoung rolls her eyes then crosses her arms. She doesn’t have anything to do, really which is why she’s there bugging Sunny and besides, she kinda likes Sunny’s presence.

            “Is she banging Taeyeon?”  She inquires which earns her a glare from Sunny.

            “Soo just get back to work.” Sunny commands and Sooyoung walks away.

            The tall woman was friendly, in fact she’s always misunderstood but sometimes, she likes to stalk Taeyeon and just has no control.

            Taeyeon has retired as Korea’s number one bachelorette. She’s spent time meeting other people, partying and banging women who are head over heels for her. She discovered that lawyers as good as her are extremely attractive for women so she used it to her advantage; and never has she once regretted it.

            “Taeyeon, I’m your secretary but I’m going to have to ask you to ask the new paralegal for help in your newest case.” She saw Taeyeon approaching the table with a bagel in hand so she took the chance.

            “What? Why would you ask a paralegal for help?”  The woman asks, full of bagel.

            “Why would you not ask her for help? It’s her job to assist lawyers, unless you’d want to read hundreds of books in the library, then you can just do it yourself.” Sunny answers back.

            She hands Taeyeon the folders then steals Taeyeon bagel.

            “That’s my bagel.”

            “It’s mine now.”  Sunny takes a bite on it then shoos the woman.

~~~~~~~~~~

            Taeyeon can’t believe it. She’s a slave to her own secretary but she has to admit that Sunny knows better about her job than she does. Taeyeon is lazy when it comes to reading so she has to ask someone else to do all the research about her case. They just give the finished research to her and poof; she goes to the court to defend people.

            She doesn’t want to have her own associate too because she knows she’s the best.

            The elevator dings and she goes out with her left hand on her pocket and the other holding the file. It is only her second time on the floor and she already doesn’t like it, it’s too crowded for her. It was the associates’ den anyway, what would she expect?

            “Tae!”

            She looks behind her and sees Sooyoung catching up to her. She rolls her eyes, she doesn’t want to talk to the woman because she’s annoying and she’d piss Taeyeon so she continues walking coolly while reading the office labels.

            “Paralegal” She stops then makes sure that she read it right.

            Inside the office is a not-so-tall girl, almost the same height as Taeyeon but a little taller. She also wears glasses and a nice pair of heels. Her very tight pencil skirt hugging her perfect-shaped body, she had fannies. Taeyeon continues to ogle outside the office and she doesn’t notice that Sooyoung was already beside her.

            “Hey Tae, how are you doing?” Sooyoung excitedly asks. She really likes Taeyeon, not in a romantic way but as a friend. She’s like, her inspiration but she doesn’t want to admit it because she thinks that they’re just on the same level. She notices that Taeyeon is looking at the new paralegal,

            “I don’t like her.”  Sooyoung mutters.

            Taeyeon stares at the lawyer and shakes her head, “What do you want, Soo?”

            “Just wanted to meet the new paralegal.” She grins.

            “You, stop here. I’ll go meet her first.” Taeyeon instructs and Sooyoung nods.

            Taeyeon opens the office door then s the first button of her blouse. It gets her the women; showing them her collarbones. Most women would find it y.

            “Are you the new paralegal?” She tentatively asks the girl.

            The girl turns around then smiles at her. She looks familiar, the smile and the eyes and most specially her eye smile but that’s impossible. The girl couldn’t be Tiffany.

            “Yes, I’m Tiffany Hwang.” The girl smiles then extends her hand to Taeyeon.

            Taeyeon isn’t sure if she really doesn’t remember her or is the sun blocking Tiffany’s view of her but she sure was excited to see the girl there. The girl is working under her. She smirks then touches Tiffany’s hand, shakes it then moves so the sun light isn’t blocking the girl’s view of her.

            “I’m Kim Taeyeon.”

            She is sure that she made Tiffany gasp but it was inaudible.

            “I would like you to make some research for me.”  She puts the folder on top of Tiffany’s pile of folders then wiggles her eyebrows.

            Tiffany makes an awkward laugh then hands Taeyeon the folder, “I-I’m sorry, Taeyeon but you can’t put your folder on top of these folders.”

            “Why not?” Taeyeon raises an eyebrow. She isn’t used to someone of lower position questioning her.

            “Because these folders got here first.” Tiffany argues.

            “Is this why you rejected everything from me the last time? Because I am not the first one in your life?” Taeyeon retorts.

            Tiffany was taken aback, why was Taeyeon saying this to her inside the workplace? It’s unprofessional!

            “I-I, well, this isn’t the time to talk about this---“

            She was cut off when Taeyeon put the folder in her table with force. The older girl was displaying power in front of her,

            “I need those papers today.” The older girl walks closer to her until she felt the wall, “I am your boss. Do as I say.”

            Tiffany watches as Taeyeon exits the office. She wasn’t expecting to meet her here. She knew that Taeyeon was working there but she didn’t expect that Taeyeon and her would meet just like that. She exhales heavily then closes her eyes.

            “I can do this.”

~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Hey you!”

            She isn’t mad, just surprised at what she saw in the office. She decides to interrogate Sunny, thinking that maybe she knows something about the firm hiring the girl; does Jessica know? Who hired her? When did she send an application? Is she single?

            “What?” Sunny asks, she has no idea why Taeyeon is sending her glares that make the hair behind at the back of her head stand up.

            “Was that Tiffany I saw in the paralegal’s office? She’s our new paralegal!?” Taeyeon was almost shouting although she doesn’t know why she is. She thinks it’s because she’s mad but Sunny thinks the otherwise.

            “She’s Stephanie Hwang?” Sunny couldn’t believe it. She had no idea when she decided to hire the girl but she doesn’t think her decision would change anyway if she knew that it was Tiffany.

            Taeyeon blinks as she thinks. She never had the chance to ask Tiffany what her full name was. All she knows is she’s called Tiffany,

“I don’t know if she is. It’s not my job to know”, she trails off.

She must admit that it still hurts, though. Even if Tiffany didn’t give her the wrong idea at all, she thinks that the girl never even gave her a chance to prove herself and make her happy.

“Well, what’s done is done. We can’t fire her now.” Sunny reasons as she offers Taeyeon another bagel. The shorter girl smiles then gets the bagel from Sunny.

“Thanks for the bagel.” And just like that, her mood got better.

“Well, If she’s Tiffany then, your interrupted romance can now continue,” Sunny suggests, her eyes glistening with happiness, “Come on Tae, Jessica can’t tell you to not to date her anymore because Tiffany is at the top of her class and is currently studying at Korea’s number one law school.”

“It’s not Jessica, Bunny. It’s Tiffany, she doesn’t want me to get involved.” Taeyeon shrugs then peeps at Sunny’s table. She’s got a lot in her hands and she doesn’t want to think much of Tiffany. The girl probably isn’t even thinking of her. She’s just curious about one thing though, how is Seohyun doing?

Sunny couldn’t do anything but pity the girl. She wants to help her but she doesn’t even know why Taeyeon never pursued the girl. She was in love, Sunny knew thatvwhich is why she was as saddened when Taeyeon just called her one night, weeping.

She can’t just barge into Tiffany’s office and ask her if she liked Taeyeon or will she even give Taeyeon a chance again or anything. The girl would find her strange! She can only do that if they’re friends.

And suddenly, the tiny light bulb appeared.

“That’s it!”

~~~~~~~~~~           

            “Yes, dad. The office is really nice and people are very welcoming.” The girl smiles as she fixes the picture frames of her child in her office desk. It feels nice to talk to her father again. They’ve patched up their misunderstanding and Tiffany went back to them. They were very happy to have her back and in fact, they really loved Seohyun because she was very cute and talkative and it was the first time they’ve seen her.

            However, the child was a bit grumpy and she always cried because she was looking for someone else. Soon enough though, she was fine and happy with her grandpa.

            “Dad, thank you, for everything and for accepting me again.”

            “Hello, miss paralegal, what are you doing?”

            Tiffany was startled when someone suddenly barged into her room. She bids bye bye to her father and fixes herself. The woman looks like a lawyer too but she seems not so approachable unlike Taeyeon, that is if the lawyer she once knew never changed.

            “H-hello, I’m Stephanie Hwang, the new paralegal.” She extends her hand at the woman but she ignores it so Tiffany pulls it back.

            The woman looks at her from head to toe and she is somewhat intimidated.

            “I know who you are. Welcome to Jung and Jung”

            “Thank you, I’m happy to be part of this firm.” Tiffany smiles as she loosens up a bit only to be tensed again when the woman stares at her.

            “No, girl. Not yet. You aren’t part of the firm yet, unless you bang Taeyeon.”

            Tiffany opens in disbelief. What was the woman saying? Taeyeon didn’t seem like that kind of person when she met her. She was soft and kind-hearted, not someone who sleeps with anyone.

            “Oh, no, my dear. She only sleeps with beautiful women like you.” The woman answers. Tiffany thinks that she can read her mind, “The only beautiful women in the firm who she never slept with is Sunny, her secretary and of course, the great lawyer, Choi Sooyoung and that’s me.” The woman adds.

            Tiffany gathers herself then speaks, “I am not that kind of woman, Miss Choi.” She assures but Sooyoung isn’t convinced.

            “Taeyeon is not that kind of woman too the last time I knew her.” She quips, “I don’t know what the hell happened to her or who broke her heart two years ago but she’s changed. I don’t know if for the better or for the worse though, just be careful, she isn’t as kind as she was before.” She warns again.

            Just in time, Sunny comes in and gives Sooyoung a look.

            “What are you doing here, Sooyoung?”

            “Just talking to the paralegal about some rules.” She answers back.

            “Rules like be careful of Kim Taeyeon?” Sunny rolls her eyes then pushes Sooyoung out of the office. She didn’t want her badmouthing Taeyeon in front of Tiffany.

            “But it’s true! Taeyeon is a devil in disguise!!” she argues as she reaches the door.

            “She isn’t, Soo. You will never understand her so just get back to work. Jessica isn’t paying you to warn new employees about Taeyeon.” Sunny doesn’t give the lawyer a chance to retort back and slams the door shut.

            “So, back to you, Tiffany.” She smiles then drags Tiffany to the seat infront of the desk. She sits on the other seat so they’re now facing each other, “I’m Sunny, I was the one who hired you.” She says as she smiles.

            However, Tiffany looks pale as if something painful downed to her. Sunny quirks her eyebrow as she looks at the girl who couldn’t even speak, “What?”

            Tiffany clears then gathers herself, “D-did you hire me because of Taeyeon?” She asks. It will hurt her if it’s true though because she thought she was accepted because they know that she can handle the job.

            “I expected that you’d ask me that question, Stephanie but…” Sunny, being the professional that she is starts, “I didn’t hire you because of Taeyeon. I didn’t even know that you were Stephanie Hwang! The reason why I knew that you’re Stephanie is because Taeyeon came to me a while ago asking me to make sure that you do the papers right.” She explains.

            Of course, she changed a little piece of fact because it will blow her cover. She smiles internally as she sees Tiffany falling for what she said. She hears her sigh, a sigh of relief she presumes because of what she heard. Sunny isn’t lying anyway.

            “So, I came here to congratulate you and just forget about Taeyeon as of now.” Sunny puts her arms around Tiffany’s shoulders then pulls her closer, “Do you like pink?”

            Tiffany squeals then faces the shorter girl, “I love it!” she almost shouts.

            Sunny didn’t expect that it will be that easy. 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

A/N: I don't want to drag the story because obviously Jessica won't let Taeyeon date and Tiffany isn't ready yet in the last chapter. I fast forwarded the story to two years later because I think it is better than way and besides, I can't stand to see (or read) them away from each other D: 

PS. Sorry for typos because I didn't have the time to edit it. I will when I get back from vacation :)