Third

The Lawyer

            “Ouch, where am I?”

            The woman who was beaten up and left in the alley whines as she tries to recover from what happened. She doesn’t remember much of what happened aside from two tall women holding her and stopping her from getting to the one who took her wallet. She groans then accidentally touches a brick that was beside her.

            “They bricked me?!”

            She sits up then discovers a spot on her head that hurts a lot. She also felt a bump around the same spot. She knew the answer to her question, apparently. Her whole body hurts although she thinks that they didn’t really beat her up. They looked like they haven’t eaten properly for days but they were still very strong that even Taeyeon's efforts were proven futile.

            She wonders why they needed the money in her wallet so bad though. She knows they’re pick pockets but somehow, she refuses to believe that they’re just pickpockets because they’re lazy and they don’t want to work like normal people.

            The spot on her head started to ache and it was getting hard to ignore the pain so Taeyeon decides to call Sunny, not to ask her to go fetch her though,

            “Sunny-ah, call the police and ask their help. My wallet was really stolen by that girl.”

            “Taeyeon, are you really sure she took it?” Sunny asks again. Taeyeon sighs, the girl really had a good heart.

            “Yes. I saw her with two other women just now, or maybe an hour ago, I’m not sure.”

            “Why are you not sure?”

            Taeyeon hisses when she touches the spot again, “I’ll explain it to you later but right now just call the police.”

            “Where are they going to find the suspects then?”

            Taeyeon stops. She thinks she heard the word “hospital” a while ago, then a person named “Seohyun”, she smiles, a smile of victory as she identifies it, now she just needs to know which hospital the person is.

            “Sunny before you call the police, kindly call the nearest hospitals and ask if there’s any patient named “Seohyun.” She stands up then dusts her stain-ridden white blouse, “And if you do find her, ask the staffs if she has three friends with her. Two girls with dark hair and a blondie.”

            “On it boss! Would you like the driver to pick you up wherever you are?” Sunny asks again in concern. If possible, she didn’t want even a fly to touch the shorter girls.

            “No thanks. I’ll just wait for your text and will ride a cab when you find the hospital. I’ll see you there.”

            With that, she ends the phone call then proceeds to find a convenience store so she could treat her wounds.

~~~~~~~~~~

            Tiffany, Yuri and Yoona don’t have the typical best friends’ story. Not one of them knew anyone. They just met when they saw Tiffany being harassed by her ex-boyfriend in some place one night. Both of them, being street teenagers saw her then decided to help her. Like what they did to Taeyeon, they bricked the man too.

            The man eventually left, leaving Tiffany and another life in her stomach, or wherever the baby is located during pregnancy. Yoona and Yuri took care of her, they even let her stay in their small house but eventually, they had to move to the streets again because rent was getting huge for them to afford.

            They were there for her, they promised to never leave each other alone, even through thickness and thin. Tiffany’s very thankful for the two of them, for simply not leaving her and Seohyun although she feels bad because she couldn’t even afford to buy them something.

            “Hyunie!!!” Yoona excitedly shouts, startling the other patients in the ward. Seohyun excitedly waves at them with a huge smile on her face.

            “Unniee~~” she says in a cute voice.

            Tiffany just smiles when she sees the kid smiling at them.

            “We’ve got lots and lots of food for you, Hyunie~” Yuri says as she pinches the little girl’s button-nose. She wrinkles it then sneezes.

            “Wow Yul, you got to wash hands first if you’re planning to hold our baby” Tiffany teases. “How are you feeling, little one?”

            “Fineee~”

            “I bought your medicines too! You got to drink them all so we can all go home okay?” Tiffany says then kisses the kid’s forehead.

            However her eyes turn sad when she turned around. They didn’t have a house. They just lived under a bridge, she couldn’t even give her child a nice home. Sometimes, she has regrets in life, like leaving her family and choosing her ex-boyfriend, but that doesn’t make her regret having Seohyun. The child’s been the only one who’s keeping her sane.

            “Mommy I want to pee pee in the big restroom~” Seohyun pouts then shows them her puppy eyes.

            Yoona whistles in defeat. If she was Tiffany, she’d most certainly bring the kid to the restroom if the kid shows her that face. She thinks it’s a child’s way of saying please to older people. She snaps out of her thoughts when she sees Yuri and Tiffany looking at her.

            “I’m just going to buy drinks for us all.”  Yuri says then walks away.

            “Yoong, could you take Hyunie to the restroom? I have to take care of the hospital bills.” Tiffany responds, showing Yoona her very own puppy eyes.

            Yoona rolls her eyes then exhales, how is she going to decline that request?

            “Fine. You two are really related!” she whines as she carries Seohyun in her arms.

            “Thank you!” Tiffany exclaims then kisses Yoona and Seohyun’s cheeks.

            “Ew.” Yoona mutters, “Now come on and let’s find that restroom”

~~~~~~~~~~

            “Taeyeon!”

            The woman turns around and sees a worried Sunny coming at her. She sees a group of police officers in the area too. Some people were looking at her, presumably because of how disheveled she looks but she ignores it. It’s not like she’s not used to being stared at anyway.

            “Bunny do not hug me!” she hisses as she widens her eyes at Sunny.

            “Fine boss, sorry” as Sunny clears and fixes her clothes.

            “Are those the officers you called?”

            “Yes. They say these three have been in jail a few times already but are always freed because of good conduct.”

            “Good conduct?!” Taeyeon open in disbelief, “They just bricked me!” she exclaims.

            “Good afternoon, Miss Kim, we will make sure that there three will go back to jail.” She nods when one police officer talked to her.

            “Let’s split up so we can find them more easily. Call if anyone finds them.” She instructs. Everyone nodded their heads then went separate ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~

            “Ooh~ shinyy,” Seohyun’s eyes screamed joy when she sees another kid holding something shiny.

            She easily gets attracted to shiny things without anyone knowing why. She frowned when she saw the kid and presumably her mother going out of the restroom. She wanted to cry but instead she went after the duo.

            “No, shiny!!” she says.

            Yoona on the other hand is clueless. She was already going to take Seohyun back to the ward when her stomach decided to let her stay so she left Seohyun in front of the door’s cubicle so she could release.

            “Hyunie you should not eat burritos. Do not listen to your mother when she says it’s okay and is delicious. Aigoo” she groans as she dumped a huge load.

            “Hyunie?”

            She tries to peep  on the bottom of the door to see if there were little legs outside and she gulps when she sees none.

            “!”

~~~~~~~~~~

            “No more shiny.”

            Seohyun was close to crying, in fact her eyes were already glistening in tears when she discovered that she lost the child holding the shiny thing. She cried harder when she discovered that she was already too far from Yoona who was still in the restroom.

            “Mommy~” she cries then slumps down on the corner.

            Luckily, she sees a woman in white. She had a really fair skin and a huge pair of cheeks in her face. She looked freaky though because she was dirty, at least for Seohyun she was.

            “Dirty!” Seohyun says then laughs when the woman got closer.

            “What?” The woman asks.

            “You…” As Seohyun pointed at her, “Dirty!!” she giggles again.

            “I am not dirty! Three women just bricked me!” the woman argued, but hey, why was she talking to the kid anyway. “Aigoo, I’m wasting time here.”

            She walked past the kid but she was startled to know that the kid followed her!

            “What do you want, you little creature?” She says as she point at Seohyun. The little kid just giggled.

            “I’m serious here! I am not your mommy!”

            “Tae Tae!!”

            Taeyeon raises an eyebrow, “Why do you know me? You watch the news?” she asks as she crosses her arms in front of Seohyun.

            “Tae Tae!!” Seohyun happily says then walks towards the woman in front of her.

            “Y-yah! What are you doing! Stop! Don’t take another step or I’ll throw you!” she threatens.

            Seohyun stops on her track then pouts, her eyes glistening. Taeyeon cusses then looks around. She doesn’t want to anyone to see this, her reputation is at stake! She bends down, trying to calm Seohyun desperately.

            “Shh, shh. I’ll buy you ice cream, don’t cry please” she begs.

            For some unknown reason, ice cream seems to work as Seohyun stops then gives her a smile.

            “You’re just a kid and your mood swings are to die for!” she exclaims.

            Seohyun’s eyes start to glisten again when Taeyeon raised her voice at her.

            “Aigo, no, I am just joking. You are so cute~” she says in an adorable way then pinches Seohyun’s cheeks.

            Well, the kid was cute after all, that was undeniable.

            “Are you lost?”

            Seohyun nods.

            “Do know where you came from?” Taeyeon asks in a kiddy voice.

            “Ward~”

Taeyeon heavily exhales then holds Seohyun’s hand.

“Let’s go find your guardians, then.”

~~~~~~~~~~

            “Tiffany, I’ve done great mistake to you!!” Yoona was panicking as she sees Tiffany walking towards the bed.

            “Where’s Seohyun?” The older girl asks as she raises an eyebrow.

            “Yeah, Yoong, where’s Hyunie?” Yuri asks too as she hands Yoona the can of soda.

            “I-I-I… she-she-she… lost”

            “WHAT!?” 

“Mommy~”

“Seohyun!” Tiffany exclaims as she runs towards the kid, “where were you? We were getting worried because Yoona thought she lost you.” She says as she hugs the kid tighter.

“I am okay. Tae Tae find.” Seohyun says in joy as she points to the woman beside her.

“T-Tiffany… T-tiff… t-t-t-he woman” Yuri stutters when she saw Taeyeon looking at them, arms crossed like the lawyer she is.

            “Thank you, for bringing me back my daughter.” Tiffany says without even knowing who was infront of them. She stands up and her face displayed horror when she saw Taeyeon’s piercing glare. However, she somehow calmed down when Taeyeon’s look softened.

            The older woman somehow is getting it, why these three were pick pocketing. It downed to her that they really needed the money, much much more than she needed it. She sighs when she saw Seohyun smiling at her, the kid was genuine and kind.

            “It’s… fine.” She finally says.

            “Yuri, hold Seohyun for me.” Tiffany says then gives the kid to Yuri, she didn’t want her child to know that she stole a wallet for her. “I-I’m sorry, Miss. I-I’ll give you the money back just please don’t jail us yet. WE really just needed the money.” She was begging. She panicked more when she saw police officers coming and stopping beside Taeyeon.

            “Please, please.”

            “Please aren’t accept—“

            “Officers they’re innocent.”  Taeyeon closed her eyes, her reputation is going to be forever tainted for what she’s going to say, “I bluffed. I found my wallet in the alley.”

            Sunny’s mouth opens wide. She knew Taeyeon well-enough to know that she was lying, but why? Why would she save these people? 

            “I’m sorry.” Taeyeon then bows at an angle to the officers.

            “It’s okay, Miss Kim, anyone could have done what you did.”

            “We apologize, officers. Let’s go there to arrange some things.” Sunny, being as professional as she is,  decides to arrange some “stuffs”.

            “Tae Tae!!” Seohyun says again, which makes Taeyeon smile a little. She looks at her then waves goodbye.

            “Bye bye, little creature.” She mutters.

            Tiffany looks at her turning her back at them, as if telling them to just forget what had happened, Yuri nudges her then tells her to thank her, so tiffany ran to the older woman. She taps her then fidgets,

            “T-thank you. You don’t know how much you’ve helped us. I-I will return your wallet, I promise.” Tiffany looks down when she sees Taeyeon simply nodding her head.

            By some unknown force, Tiffany decides to give the woman a kiss on the cheeks instead, as a thank you gift.

            “Tae Tae!!!” Seohyun says excitedly again.

            “T-Thank you again and we’re really sorry.” Tiffany bows at an angle but it was only to hide her red cheeks