Eighth

The Lawyer

            “I will make sure that Hyoyeon agrees” Taeyeon promised herself.

            She stands as she stares at the view of the busy city below her. This is the type of life she dreamed of when she was still in law school and no one, not even Yunho will make her step down of the office. The firm’s been her home and she won’t let anyone take her home away from her. But first, she has to think of what she should do to make sure Hyoyeon says yes.

            It has been days since the incident which embarrassed her and she wouldn’t want history to repeat itself.

            “If you’re planning to threaten Professor Hyoyeon, that isn’t going to work. She has threatened you already so do not think about doing the same.” Tiffany warns as she enters the office. Sunny and Taeyeon told her that she could enter the office anytime since she’s helping them with a few cases.

            The younger girl puts three folders on the table immediately avoiding Taeyeon’s gaze but failing to do so.

            Taeyeon faces her with an unamused face and crossed arms. She doesn’t like that Tiffany tells her what to do, she’s acting as if she knows better than her. She’s been working here for years and Tiffany’s been here for what? Five days?

            “I appreciate all the help you’re giving us Miss Hwang but you can’t tell me what to do.” She mutters. Tiffany stares at her in disbelief,

            “You still have the guts to tell me this? After you blew the plan?” Tiffany defends. The woman is ticking her off, she’s only trying to help but Taeyeon seems to reject every help that she offers.

            “You don’t know me. I don’t receive threats, I make them.” Taeyeon says as she walks closer to the girl, “I have been doing this for years, junior and no one in the position of you will tell me what to do. So if I were you, I’d shut that big mouth of yours and will just do my job”

            Tiffany feels something in her heart. It’s pain, she thinks. Taeyeon’s words cut through her heart like a knife but she knows that when she becomes a lawyer she’ll hear a lot worse from other lawyers. She closes her eyes to stop tears from falling, she never thought that Taeyeon would say those words, not Taeyeon.

            “Who are you?” She asks, her voice almost inaudible but the older woman didn’t fail to catch it.

            Taeyeon opens but no words escape, who is she?

            “I’m Taeyeon.” Her voice trails off as she sees Tiffany looking down.

            “You aren’t Taeyeon.” Tiffany answers back between gritted teeth. Her hands were balled into fists and she will punch Taeyeon if she has to, “The Taeyeon, I knew? She was different. She wasn’t a monster. She was kind-hearted and very gentle; you are nowhere near that Taeyeon. You’re a monster!”

            “You can’t just tell me I’m a monster, Tiffany. You want to be a lawyer right? You’re going to hear a lot worse when you go to a court room and especially when you do my work!” Taeyeon argues, “I don’t want to argue with someone like you. Get out of my office.” She demands.

            Tiffany storms off the room as she wipes the tears falling from her eyes. She doesn’t know why she’s crying.

            Taeyeon exhales heavily as she watches the girl enter the elevator. It isn’t her fault, the girl thinks she’s better than her and they both know that she isn’t. Taeyeon doesn’t like to talk to those types of people; people who like to rob the other’s job. It’s stupid.

            As Taeyeon’s eyes land on the table outside, she sees Sunny giving her a disappointed look. It was rare for Sunny to be disappointed. She knew that Sunny always presses the button on the telephone so she can hear everything from the outside. The secretary turns around then continues to work.

            “She doesn’t want to talk to me too.” Taeyeon mutters to herself.

            She grabs her phone from the table and ignores the folders that Tiffany put on her table. She sends Jessica a text, telling her that she’ll finish her job early today because of something important then goes out, passing Sunny’s table and into the elevator.

            “Maybe you did change.” Sunny whispers.

            Sometimes, Taeyeon would shout at her for not doing her work then drives her off her office too, just like what she did to Tiffany. She shakes her head then closes her eyes as she thinks of what had happened to the girl.

~~~~~~~~~

            Taeyeon was patiently waiting outside a specific room. She figures that she should go and talk to Hyoyeon privately because maybe the girl doesn’t want her students to know of what stupid thing she did a few years ago. She has been playing a game in her phone for a while now and it isn’t entertaining her that much.

            What makes her occupied though is Tiffany and Sunny, but more on the former. Maybe she was too hard on the words or maybe she was too caught up with her emotions that she didn’t know words as sharp as those she said would come out of . She sighs then turns off her phone as she checks for the time. It’s almost six o’clock.

            “I can persuade Hyoyeon, right?” Suddenly, she doubts herself, “Of course! You’re Kim Taeyeon!” she toughens up, then slouches at the sudden realization, “But I’m not Kim Taeyeon without Sunny.”

            “It’s you again! You just don’t want to lay off, huh?”

            Suddenly, Hyoyeon comes and hits her with an umbrella. The woman has had enough crap from students today and she didn’t want to see another crap when she gets home. She gives Taeyeon glares that for the first time, made Taeyeon’s hair stand up. She realizes that she isn’t as tough without Sunny’s help.

            She’s come to the place without bullets to fire.

            “I’m sorry, Hyoyeon.” Taeyeon mutters as she takes more hits from the woman, “I didn’t mean to. Jessica wanted Yunho out of the firm which is why I did it.” She explains.

            “And she sent me away too! You really are her guard dog. No wait, you are an all around dog. You are so ambitious Taeyeon! You keep on thinking that Jessica will make you partner if you do everything that she says but no! She won’t.” Hyoyeon spats. She was angry at Jessica for sending Taeyeon again to get her.

            “I will be a partner, Hyoyeon!” Taeyeon argues. Jessica promised her that she will be partner and that she will see her name on the door once every problem is solved.

            Hyoyeon chuckles, “You’re so naïve.” She looks Taeyeon directly in the eye and asks, “Then why isn’t your name on the door?”

            And she hit that spot.

            “She’s just using you Kim Taeyeon,  for her own good.”

            “That isn’t true.”

            “You bet it is and Yunho will make sure that the firm goes down with both of you in it.” Hyoyeon hits her one more time with the umbrella then enters her apartment, slamming the door and startling Taeyeon.

            The lawyer is too dumbstruck to speak. She wonders if that’s how Tiffany felt when she said the words she said a while ago. No one has ever spoken to her these words. She dreaded to hear it, she dreaded to learn that Jessica may not be planning to give her or help her achieve her greatest dream; to have her name at the door.

            “Has Jessica been using me to go after her enemies?” She asks herself as thoughts clouded her mind.

            She sighs and decides to go somewhere else, where she could clear her mind of things.

~~~~~~~~~~

            Tiffany sits in her office with tears flowing from her eyes. She isn’t sure why she is crying, she thinks it’s because of the words Taeyeon has said but somehow, her heart says otherwise. Her heart says that the Taeyeon she knows now is completely different from the Taeyeon she met two years ago and it pains her to know that maybe, she’s one of the reasons why she changed.

            She pulls out her phone which luckily is inside her pocket and dials a specific number.

            “Hello, Yul? Please pick me up…” She sniffs then continues to cry as she speaks to the phone, “no, no I am not crying… I just caught colds because I think the air conditioner’s too cold… no don’t bring Seohyun… please come immediately.”  And call ended.

            She gathers her things then prepares to leave her office. After turning off the office lights, she holds her wallet and looks at the picture inside, making her cry again as memories flood in.

            “I hate you, for leaving.”

            As she enters the elevator, she sees Sunny standing in the corner of the lift. She raises an eyebrow but figures that maybe she was hurt by Taeyeon’s words too or maybe Taeyeon did something to her. She gives Sunny a comforting smile when the short girl suddenly lifts her head.

            “I’m sorry for Taeyeon’s words.” Sunny says, her face incredibly and genuinely sorry.

            Tiffany pats Sunny’s arms then mutters, “It’s okay but I must admit that it hurts to hear those words from her. She’s just not the same person.”

            Sunny feels Tiffany. Sometimes, she thinks that Taeyeon is still the same but most of the time, she feels that Taeyeon is changing because she’s becoming too ambitious.

            “Yeah.” Sunny couldn’t even say anything because she couldn’t agree more, “Do you need a cab? I could ask the guard to hail one for you.” Sunny offers.

            “No,no. I called someone to pick me up.” Tiffany answers back as she points at Yuri.

            Sunny raises an eyebrow, “Your girlfriend?”

            Tiffany quickly shakes her head and waves her hand at Sunny, “N-no. She’s my friend! I’m single and I don’t have time for relationships.”  She denies as she looks down to hide her blushing cheeks.

            Sunny chuckles then nods, “Do you swing that way though?”

            Tiffany was caught off-guard. She doesn’t know the answer. She believes that she does not swing that way but someone’s obviously been playing around with her orientation nowadays, not that that someone knows what she’s doing. She blushes at the thought.

            “I-I don’t but I’m open to things.” She quips.

            Sunny makes an “ooh” with then mentally celebrates, “Okay then. I’ll go now! I’ll see you tomorrow, Tiff.” She smiles then kisses Tiffany’s cheeks as she goes her way.

            Tiffany on the other hand smiles at the gesture. She walks her way to Yuri who hugs her as greeting.

            “Were you crying, a while ago?” Yuri asks as she opens the door for Tiffany, “You can’t lie to me Hwang. I know you like the back of your hand. You owe me an explanation”

            “Yeah, we’ll talk about it during the drive.”

~~~~~~~~~

            Taeyeon thinks that she needs a little clearing of the mind so she went to the nearest casino she can go to. She likes to play poker in times like this when she’s too occupied and her emotions are getting to hard to handle.

            “A hundred thousand.” She smirks as she buys her chips.

            The girl gives her an inviting look then holds onto the lawyer’s hand as she gives her the chips. With the chips comes her number written on a piece of paper.

            “Yeah, I’ll make sure to call you when I have time.”  Taeyeon winks then walks off, rolling her eyes as she walks. She stares at the piece of paper then snorts, “I never have time, darling.” Then throws the paper away.

            “Kim Taeyeon!”

            Taeyeon hears the familiar voice and turns around. It was her old friend, Changmin. They’ve been poker buddies since Taeyeon’s first year in the firm and they’ve been playing against each other for quite some time now, it’s either she wins or Changmin does.

            “It’s been some time.” Changmin starts, “how are you doing?”

            “Fine. Just want to clear my mind.”

            “Nothing clears your mind like a good game of poker, right?” Changmin grins then invites Taeyeon to his table which Taeyeon gladly takes.

~~~~~~~~~~

            “How was your work, Stephanie?”  Mr. Hwang asks.

            It’s been long since he last ate dinner with his daughter and now their family has extended even more. Yuri and Yoona had also been living with them because Seohyun said that she couldn’t live without the three. Mr. Hwang has been grateful for them too because they’ve been a big help so he can finally be close to his grandchild.

            “It was fine, just busy.” Tiffany answers with a fake smile, she tries her best to hide the sadness she’s feeling from everyone inside the house because she doesn’t want them to worry over her.

            Mr. Hwang was skeptic though because Tiffany has not even eaten her food yet. She’s just there, playing with the peas on her plate so he decides to find out more,

            “You don’t seem fine, Stephanie.”

            Tiffany looks at him then grins, a fake one, Mr. Hwang assumes. He sighs then just returns his daughter’s smile.

            “Mommy, are you okay?” Seohyun, now a little older asks as she gives Tiffany a worried look. She stands up then touches her mommy’s forehead which automatically makes the mother smile.

            Tiffany pats Seohyun’s head then assures her that she is indeed fine.

            Mr. Hwang just smiles with Yuri and Yoona. Maybe Seohyun isn’t bad luck after all.

            A few moments later, a phone beeps startling everyone at the dining table. They all look at the appalled owner of the ringing phone and timidly excuses herself. She remembers her father prohibiting them from using their phones during meal time.

            “Hello? Sunny? What’s up?” she says as low as possible to avoid people from hearing.

            “Taeyeon is missing!” As quiet as Tiffany is, Sunny is the opposite.

            Tiffany would have reacted faster but she’s too busy checking if she can still hear.

            “Maybe she just went to one of her girls.” Tiffany rolls her eyes at the words she’s spoken. She’s not supposed to feel anything at the thought of Taeyeon with other girls, besides, it’s what the lead star in a movie does; when the lead star is stressed, she goes out to meet her es and bastards.

            “Nope, Taeyeon doesn’t have girls, that’s just Sooyoung badmouthing her.” Sunny defends again. She went to Taeyeon’s apartment and waited for hours but when she called the phone, no one was answering and it’s scaring her, the thought of Taeyeon going somewhere she doesn’t know.

            “Relax, Sunny. I’m sure she’s just somewhere clearing her mind”

            “She sent me a message that I may not see her again tomorrow and that she’s sorry for being a pain in the . Perhaps you would understand me which is why I called you.” Sunny explains.

            Tiffany opens but says nothing. It would scare her too if Taeyeon sent her the same message.

            “Well where do you think she is then?” The paralegal asks as she goes up in her room to gather her things.

            “She usually goes to a specific casino to meet some old friends and challenge them in Poker,” Sunny explains, “But that isn’t good because Taeyeon can bet and say a lot of stupid things when she’s around her friends.” She finishes.

            “Okay, I’m going to gather my things and just wait for me outside Jung and Jung.” Tiffany answers back however she is surprised at what Sunny tells her,

            “I’m already outside your house, Tiff.”

            She quickly puts everything in her bag and ends the call. After doing so, she goes down and kisses everyone bye bye but Seohyun stops her,

            “Where are you going, mommy?”

            “We're going to find my boss.” She explains then looks at everyone’s faces hoping that no one realizes who the boss is.

            “Taeyeon?” Yoona stupidly asks.

            Tiffany stares at Mr. Hwang and back to Seohyun who was gleaming in joy.

            “I can not go dad if you don’t want me to.” She murmurs as she looks down. Let’s just say that Taeyeon has a reputation to Mr. Hwang.

            “It’s fine Stephanie, just go back before midnight.”

            “And bring Taetae with you!” Seohyun claps. Even after years have passed, she still thinks that Taeyeon is her dad or mom, whichever she prefers.

~~~~~~~~~~

            “Are you sure about this?”  Tiffany hisses. Sunny and her was just wearing casual clothes; jogging pants, baggy shirt and a pair of running shoes. The girl isn’t sure whether they’d be allowed to even enter.

            “Of course! I’ve been here a number of times already but you know, with my height no one believes I’m qualified, but yeah, the guards already know me so we don’t really have a problem.”

            “So why did you ask for my help?”

            “Because Taeyeon is heavy and I can’t drag her all the way to this car because she’s sadly bigger than me.” Sunny chuckles, “So let’s go?”

            The two girls grimace as they enter the casino. Several men were gawking at them despite wearing silly and inappropriate clothes. Tiffany was most uncomfortable though. She brings her hands close to her chest so no one touches them accidentally. Somehow, she’s scared, of men, she doesn’t know why.

            “Tiff are you okay?” Sunny asks when she sees the girl behind her. She shrugs when the girl nods at the question.

            “Excuse me, have you seen Taeyeon?”

            Tiffany looked at Sunny weirdly when she asks about Taeyeon to a random guard. How the hell would he know where the woman is? There are thousands of people inside the casino and she doesn’t think that the guard would know anyone, patron or not. But again, it’s Taeyeon and the woman never fails to surprise her.

            “She’s there, dancing and singing. I think she’s drunk. She’s won five hundred thousand dollars and she has offered drinks for everyone. She even gave me five grands!” The guard happily shouts. Sunny pats his huge arms then holds Tiffany’s hand.

            Tiffany squeezes Sunny’s hand as they enter the crowded bar in the casino. They see Taeyeon, holding a microphone and singing her heart out, throwing money at everyone she sees. This is why she doesn’t drink, she loses control.

            “Listen, Tiff. No one will know about this, okay? Aside from Jessica of course.” Sunny instructs. She doesn’t want people in the office to lose their respect at the girl.

            “Okay. Let’s go get Taeyeon.”

            “Sunny bunny!”

            However, another manly force slows them down from getting to Taeyeon. It was Changmin. Sunny knows him and she does not like him because she thinks he’s a bad influence to Taeyeon. He taught Taeyeon how to gamble and drink a lot of liquor!

            “Your boss over there, she’s so wild at the table and more wild at the dancefloor!” Changmin teases as she points to the girl losing control on stage. Changmin smirks when he sees Tiffany avoiding his eyes; a very unconfident girl.

            “Hello there, gorgeous~” he cooes. Sunny stops him and pushes him away from the girl,

            “Back off Changmin. She’s Taeyeon’s girlfriend.”

            Changmin and Tiffany’s eyes widen but both reacted differently. Changmin backed off immediately and Tiffany smacked Sunny in the head, “Why did you say that!?” she asks.

            It’s not that she doesn’t like it, she’s just not used to it, yet.

            “Well would you prefer that he touch you anywhere then?” Sunny rolls her eyes. She drags the girl and pushes her on stage so she lands in Taeyeon’s arms.

            The lawyer smirks, obviously not sober. Tiffany wrinkles her nose at the unpleasant stench of alcohol that replaced Taeyeon’s gorgeous perfume. She thinks the crowd is cheering and chanting something but she is too caught up in Taeyeon’s eyes to even speak.

            “Kiss her! Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss!!!” The crowd cheers.

            It isn’t Sunny’s intention to push her to Taeyeon. She just pushed her so she could help her get on stage but apparently, her push was too hard that the girl landed in Taeyeon’s arms.

            “Tippani-ah, why are you here?” Taeyeon slurs.

            “W-we… Sunny and I came here to get you.”

            “Get me? You didn’t get me the last time!” Taeyeon laughs then hiccups, “I loved you, Tippani.”

            Tiffany would have believed her but she is drunk and she can’t just believe something a drunk person’s words. She must admit though that somehow, her heart skips a beat at the way Taeyeon says the words, however, Taeyeon said “loved” meaning that maybe, just maybe, that love has passed.

            “Kiss her, Taeyeon!” Changmin shouts and Taeyeon winks at the crowd.

            She pulls Tiffany to her and crashes their lips. She ignores Tiffany’s efforts to push her away as she gently captures the younger girl’s lower lip in between hers.

            “Tae..mmph” Tiffany’s pleas was muffled when Taeyeon suddenly inserts her tongue into the girl’s mouth. The paralegal wanted to close her eyes but she couldn’t because she’s too occupied by the crowd cheering while seeing Taeyeon kissing her. It’s not like she doesn’t want to kiss Taeyeon anyway.

            Wait what!? What are you saying Stephanie.

            She stops pushing Taeyeon away from her and plays along with Taeyeon’s playful tongue, as if she’s unconscious, she wraps her arms around Taeyeon’s neck and pulls her closer to her making them fall.

            “Fany..mmhn” Taeyeon moans.

            Sunny watches with mouth agape, “Well, that escalated quickly.” She stops watching when she sees Taeyeon getting carried away and starts to strip Tiffany from her t-shirt, “Yah Yah! Stop it!”

            With all her might, she tries to pull Taeyeon away but it’s as if Tiffany doesn’t want to let go of the lawyer either. She didn’t know that liquor smell could cause people drunkenness too.

            “Tiffany-ah! I brought you here to help me carry this woman and now you’re being a pain in the too, aigoo get a room!!” She shouts at them as she smacks Tiffany’s arms around Taeyeon.

            “Bunny, get out of there!” Suddenly, the last thing Sunny sees Sooyoung pulling her out of the stage. She wonders why she’s there but she’s too tired to think so she closes her eyes instead.

 

~~~~~~

A/N: SORRY FOR TYPOS AGAIIIN