Sixteenth

The Lawyer

Sunny enters the firm and immediately senses incoming danger. She’s like the female version of Spiderman with very sharp senses. She scans the area and shrugs, maybe it’s just stress that causes her to be paranoid. She presses the elevator button and smiles to herself. This is going to be a great day, she assumes.

Tiffany on the other hand has had trouble waking up because she couldn’t help but cry the other night. She struggled to keep her whimpers low so as not to wake Seohyun up and luckily, she was successful.

However, she couldn’t believe herself. She just dumped the most genuinely kind and warm-hearted person she’s ever met. She thinks she’s guilty and she is also sure of that but she refuses to believe it. And she tries very hard to convince herself that she did the right thing.

The eye smiling girl enters the lift and is shocked when she sees Sunny. She bows, seemingly very shy now at the girl she once called her “friend”.

“Good morning, Tiffany-ssi.” Sunny greets, pressing the floor where Tiffany’s office is located.

“G-good morning Sunny-ssi.” The girl timidly greets back and looks down.

Sunny just nods to acknowledge the girl’s presence in the elevator. She doesn’t want to act immature and be like one of those cliché characters in movies who ignore the woman who hurt their bestfriend or someone close to them.

She’s Sunny and she always does things better than anyone.

A smirk almost downs her face when she sees Tiffany fidgeting, “Do you want to ask something, Tiffany-ssi?”

Tiffany bites her lip, still looking down and she swears this is the longest elevator ride ever, “Nothing.” She mutters.

“How are you feeling?” Sunny asks, “Does it feel good to hurt someone again and again?” she almost bitterly spats.

Tiffany flinches with the words. First, Sunny acts as if it’s the first time they’ve met and second, she’s slapping her with the reality that she hurt Taeyeon twice already. She exhales in relief when the elevator dings, signifying that she’s arrived at the floor. She was about to step out of the elevator but Sunny grabbed her arm,

“I trusted you Tiffany.”

“I’m sorry, Sunny-ah.” Tiffany apologetically stares at the girl making the secretary scoff.

“You should be.”

And with that, Tiffany sees the elevator close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh Jesus what the heck happened.” Taeyeon groans as she gains consciousness. She slowly opens her eyes but decides not to continue because the sun was blinding her. Apparently, they didn’t close the binds last night when they decided to fall unconscious inside her office.

She tries to get up but someone’s something is stopping her.

“Yah, get your leg off me.” She complains and pushes Jessica’s leg away from her body. She thinks that Jessica’s going to be a problem since the girl obviously sleeps like a rock.

Taeyeon sits up and tries to reach over her telephone,

“Sunny-ah are you there?” she says, her voice hoarse. She waits a few seconds until Sunny replies.

“Are you in your office?!” She hears Sunny hiss, Taeyeon thinks that maybe the girl is shocked by her voice.

“Yes. I am.”  The lawyer groans again and pushes Jessica further making her literally roll away from Taeyeon.

“Tae~” the girl whines but is ignored by Taeyeon.

“Is that Jessica?!”

“Yes. It is. Anyway, please buy coffee because I have a terrible terrible headache.” The older girl complains as she rubs her temples, “Please?”

A minute later she hears Sunny’s heels clicking against the floor and she assumes that the secretary has probably arrived. She peeks from her table and smiles.

“Thank you, Bunny.” She says as she tries to walk on a straight line.

Sunny doesn’t know what to say so she just shakes her head in disbelief. She walks closer to Taeyeon and helps her sit on her chair. This is exactly what she’s talking about. She doesn’t want Taeyeon to be hurt because this happens. It’s like Taeyeon forgets that she’s a respectable lawyer and acts impulsively like she’s a teenage girl.

And Jessica’s no different either.

“Yah, Jessica get up!” Sunny shouts as she pulls Jessica to sit but the girl is obviously uncooperative.

“Just let her be. She was very high last night.” Taeyeon waves her off.

“Yeah? Are you sure she’s the only person who was high last night?”

Taeyeon smiles sheepishly and brings the coffee to her head, as if it would make a difference.

“I’ll go get you ice.”

“Thanks again, Bunny! Love you!”

Sunny exits the office and shakes her head. She hopes that this will be the last time this happens. What if someone saw them last night? It could cause both Jessica and Taeyeon their jobs even if Jessica owns the firm!

Taeyeon isn’t comfortable today maybe because it’s the first day that she can’t visit Tiffany in her office. She feels like something is going to be missing for the following days and she’s going to have to stop the habit of making sure that Tiffany smiles on the days to come. And that makes her sad.

She can’t help but think of reasons why the younger girl decided to stop. Was it something she’s done? Is it because Taeyeon is eccentric? Is it because she’s too talkative? Is it because she isn’t sweet enough? A few more questions and Taeyeon thinks she’ll pass out.

“Yunho you …” She hears Jessica talk in her sleep and she can’t help but chuckle.

“Here’s your ice bag, Tae.” Sunny enters the office and walks towards Taeyeon. The lawyer is very thankful to have Jessica and Sunny by her side. Sometimes they’re both a pain in the but if Taeyeon gets to keep them forever, she would and she’d choose them over anyone else. Well, maybe aside from Tiffany.

“Thanks Bun.” Taeyeon pats Sunny’s arms and smiles as the shorter girl puts the ice bag on top of her head.

“Good morning, Taeyeon and…” Yunho looks at the girl lying down on the floor and he couldn’t believe his eyes, “…and Sunny and… Jessica. What’s up with her?” he asks, pointing at the unconscious girl on the floor.

Sunny shrugs and points at Taeyeon.

“We wrestled. It’s good to stretch a few limbs in the morning.” Taeyeon answers as she gives Yunho a fake and sarcastic smile.

“And what happened to you?”

“Oh you know, the classic Jessica. She punch me in the head and I swear she might’ve disconnected some cells in here.” She answers again as she taps her head with her finger.

Yunho nods and walks around the office. Taeyeon sure is a lawyer. She answers everything but only if you ask her.  He smiles at Taeyeon and sits down on the couch inside the girl’s office. His eyes scans the whole office and she chuckles at the large CD collection Taeyeon has in display.

“You really like music huh and CDs.”

“Okay, Yunho what do you want? What type of bad air brought you here.” Taeyeon asks as she gets the ice bag from Sunny.

The secretary understands and nods her head. That’s the signal that she has to go out of the office now but she’s Sunny, of course she’ll still hear the conversation.

“Come on Taeyeon. Is that how you welcome someone who wants to be friends with you now?” Yunho frowns as he stands up to move to the chair in front of Taeyeon, “I am here for peace. I just think that since we’re all working together now, I think a rift isn’t good for us.” He adds as he points at Taeyeon then to himself.

“What?”

“Listen, I want you to help me in one of the cases that I’m handling. I need someone like you, with passion and with experience to help me deal with the case.”

“Why don’t you ask Sooyoung for help?” Taeyeon scoffs. Yunho coming to her for help is very strange.

Yunho smirks and he leans closer to the other lawyer, “Are you saying that Sooyoung is better than you?”

Taeyeon freezes. She stares at Yunho with a dead look and gulps. Did Yunho just step on her pride? No one will be better than her, not even Jessica and Yunho combined.  She puts the ice bag down and frowns,

“I am better than everyone.”

Yunho’s smirk gets wider as he shrugs, “Well, then prove it to me, Kim Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon sighs and gulps again, “I’ll try and I’ll find some time.”

“That’s all that I want to hear.”

She watches as Yunho turns around and walks out of the office. She should have not given up like that, she thinks. But she also thinks it’s good that Yunho is trying to patch things up with them. Her gaze lands on Jessica and sighs.

“Still the sleepy head I met, I guess.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After much, much persuasion, Sunny finally got Taeyeon to say “yes” to a day-off. The secretary struggled to keep Taeyeon standing as she slurred and stumbled during depositions or meeting. She figures that it isn’t good if someone smells weed from Taeyeon, it’s too dangerous especially now that Yunho is there, even though he basically just patched things up with Taeyeon but of course, Sunny doesn’t buy it.

So since she’s having a day-off, Taeyeon decides that she jogs because she thinks maybe the reason why Tiffany dumped her is because she isn’t fit. She’s good-looking! Isn’t that enough?

She runs faster at the thought that maybe Tiffany didn’t find her y which is why she dumped her. Hundreds of reason have entered her mind and it ranges from the deepest reasons to the most bizarre ones.

“Stupid Hwang. Am I not good looking? Am I not fit enough for her?” She grumbles to herself. She bites the insides of her cheeks as she runs a little faster, she isn’t the exercising type but… you all know the reason why she’s running.

She stops at a fountain to catch her breath and to drink some water,

“Hey Taeyeon.”

She looks up and stops drinking when she sees the person. She knows this person, in fact he’s under the “people I hate” section.

“What do you want, Nichkhun?” she says, bitterness in her voice as she wipes her lips.

Nichkhun is an old adversary she has defeated a hundred of times already. They weren’t from the same school but somehow, she knew him by some unremembered classmate. She shakes her head when she sees the man give her a smug smile.

Nichkhun holds out a paper in front of Taeyeon and smirks.

“What?” Taeyeon asks again, getting impatient at the lack of answer.

“Remember JinYoung Lee?”

Yes, of course. He was the teenager who died because of a hit and run incident. If Taeyeon remembers correctly, Nichkhun was JinYoung’s family’s lawyer while Taeyeon defended the other team. It was months ago, why is the man asking about it now?

“Let me make you remember him Taeye---“

“I remember him. What about it?”

“This is a copy of Kwon MinHyuk’s statement about the accident.” Nichkhun starts, “You want to take a better look? Here.” He hands the paper to Taeyeon and smirks again. He’s got her this time.

Taeyeon takes the paper and reads it. The pissed expression from a while ago is replaced by something unreadable. She looks at Nichkhun who was smirking at her and raises her eyebrows.

“What is this and why are you showing me this now?”

“You’re going down, Taeyeon. I’ll make sure of it. We’re suing your company for fraud and you for slandering my client in court.”

“What?”

“You knew that Minhyuk knew he was guilty of killing Jinyoung but you chose to say otherwise, even saying that it was my client’s fault for being drunk and for wearing black clothes. You buried your client’s statement to save his , didn’t you?”

Taeyeon gapes at him in disbelief. She doesn’t remember anything about Minhyuk writing a memo. She doesn’t remember seeing it.

“I-I haven’t seen that---“

“Save your excuse for the trial, Taeyeon because I’ll see you in court.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mommy this food is amazing~” Seohyun giggles as she munches on the food on her plate.

Tiffany eyesmiles at the kid and pats her head. She decided to treat the family to dinner because she’s guilty. Seohyun’s asking why Taeyeon isn’t with Tiffany or why Taeyeon isn’t eating with them tonight. Mr. Hwang is also asking if Taeyeon has a chance because he really doesn’t mind if his daughter dates her.

Yuri and Yoona were also asking if they could ask for Taeyeon’s help about some of their lessons.

And Tiffany couldn’t find the answer to questions regarding Taeyeon.

So she decided to divert her family’s attention to food. And so, here they are, eating at their favourite Korean barbeque restaurant.

“Tiffany why exactly did you treat us here?” Yuri asks, full but she doesn’t care.

Tiffany shrugs and says, “It’s my payday today so I thought I’d want to treat you all.”

Yoona giggles and gives Tiffany a thumbs up sign. She’s very… huge when it comes to food and Tiffany doesn’t mind because it’s Yoona and Yoona isn’t her when she’s hungry.

“It would have been better if Taetae was here though. It’s like one huge family!” Seohyun adds which makes Tiffany almost choke on her food. She chuckles awkwardly and clears .

“Speaking of Taeyeon…” Mr. Hwang suddenly speaks. Tiffany meets his eyes and blinks at him like she’s innocent. She’s hoping that her dad doesn’t ask her about the lawyer because she can foretell that they would be disappointed to know that she dumped her.

“She’s about to enter the restaurant.” Mr. Hwang says which makes everyone look behind them.

There was Taeyeon, with a girl. Tiffany thinks that the other girl is older but everyone looks older when they’re with Taeyeon. She eyes them until they get assisted to where they’re supposed to sit and she is nervous because they’re going to be seated at the table behind theirs. Her eyes widen and immediately turns around.

“No one looks at her!... Yul don’t even think about calling her!” She threatens and widens her eyes at Yuri.

“Okay.” Yuri, about to raise her hand to call Taeyeon purses her lips and brings her hand down when Tiffany shoots her a glare.

“Mommy, call TaeTae!!” Seohyun excitedly exclaims and tugs on Tiffany’s blouse. The mother ignores her and tries hard to cover her face because Taeyeon might recognize her.

“Mommy!” Seohyun calls out. She frowns when her mother doesn’t respond and instead calls Taeyeon, “TaeTae! Mommy doesn’t want to look at yo----“ her calls were muffled when Tiffany suddenly covers but it is too late.

“Seo?” Taeyeon tentatively calls the kid.

Seohyun, covered by her mother’s hand nods her head as she tries hard to remove Tiffany’s hand from covering .

“Yah, Stephanie Seohyun can’t breathe!” Mr. Hwang hisses, using a table napkin to shoo Tiffany’s hands away from Seohyun.

Tiffany bites her lips when she realizes and reluctantly removes her hand. She doesn’t turn around because she’s too ashamed to face Taeyeon. Her heart beats in nervousness when Seohyun jumped off of her chair to go to Taeyeon.

“Taetae, eat with us~” Seohyun asks, showing Taeyeon her puppy eyes as she tugs on the lawyer’s blouse.

Taeyeon looks at the girl who was sitting across her who is admiring the kid. They meet each other’s eyes and Taeyeon awkwardly smiles as an apology. She mouths a “sorry” to the girl and the girl smiles back.

“Hey, little girl. Come to unnie~” The girl cooes.

Seohyun stops tugging on Taeyeon and waves at the girl. She looks kind, maybe that’s why Seohyun smiles at her.

The girl stands up and crouches down to meet Seohyun’s eye level,

“You can call me Boa-unnie.” She smiles as she pinches the girl’s cheek.

“Boa-unnie!”

“Yes~ you see, Taetae here is very hungry so she might be a little grumpy at the moment.” The girl, whose name is Boa, says as she tucks Seohyun’s hair.

“Eat with us!” Seohyun insists and points at their table. Everyone, except Tiffany was looking at her, giving a smile. Tiffany had her back turned and her head down.

Boa looks at Taeyeon as if asking for permission.

Of course, it’s Seohyun and Taeyeon can’t say no to the kid.

“Fine.” Taeyeon half-heartedly answers.

Seohyun immediately drags Taeyeon to their table which makes the other girl, Boa, chuckle. So maybe this is why Taeyeon is so attached to Tiffany; it’s because a little one is always dragging them both together.

“Hello, Mr. Hwang, Yuri, Yoong…” Taeyeon pauses as her gaze lands on Tiffany who was avoiding her eyes with all her might, “…Fa--- Tiffany.” She greets and bows.

“A nice evening, Taeyeon.” Mr. Hwang greets back and pats the space beside him, as if telling Taeyeon to sit there.

Taeyeon looks behind her and sees Boa walking towards them, she decides to introduce the girl to the family but she sighs as she does so, “This is Boa, my…”

“I’m dating her.” Boa interrupts and shoots a look at Taeyeon who was looking at her in shock.

“What!?” Yuri almost shouts. She stares at Tiffany, as if asking questions but the girl keeps on looking down on her knees. Seohyun had the same reaction; she tugs on Tiffany’s blouse and cutely raises her eyebrows, although failing to do so.

Tiffany is there but she wants the ground to split into two and eat her up because she doesn’t think she can look at Taeyeon right now. Somehow, she is relieved but also hurt that Taeyeon is already dating another woman, it’s only been what? A day? But she can’t blame Taeyeon, it’s her fault that this happened.

“Uhm, come, sit down.” Mr. Hwang smiles and pulls the two woman to sit beside him. He did it to destroy the silence and the tension in the table.

“Mommy… You’re not dating Taetae?” Seohyun whispers, although it’s very audible. Tiffany can see the disappointment in her eyes, she even thinks that any minute now, the kid may cry.

“I-I’m not, Hyunie~” She answers back as she cups the child’s face.

Taeyeon hears the conversation but decides to ignore it. She has no right to in anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So, Boa-ssi, are you telling me that you met Taeyeon in law school?” Yuri asks because she thinks she didn’t get what Boa was telling about how she and Taeyeon met.

Boa said that she met Taeyeon in law school because of Jessica. At that time, she found Taeyeon mysterious and very hardworking so they became best friends. They occasionally go out and Boa has hidden her feelings for Taeyeon until tonight.

Tonight, she has admitted her feelings for Taeyeon in which the lawyer accepted.

But that isn’t true. At least some aren’t.

They’re best friends and they met in law school because of Jessica who was Boa’s archenemy at that time.  They occasionally hang out, yes, but Boa does not have feelings for Taeyeon. Yes, she finds her cute and mysterious but definitely not hardworking, but Boa is already dating someone else.

So no, Boa isn’t Taeyeon’s girlfriend.

“Yes. I mean, who wouldn’t fall for this little kid?” Boa teases and pinches Taeyeon’s cheeks. “And you wouldn’t remember Taeyeon’s puke threat during one of Mr. Hwang’s classes?”

Taeyeon rolls her eyes, thinking that the girl probably has said a lot already, “I am not little and please just don’t mention that incident again.” She grumbles.

“Aww, Taetae, it’s okay. I still love you.” Boa whines and pouts. She sees Tiffany from the corner of her eye and she’s sure that the girl is already pissed.

That’s the plan. If Tiffany does not, at all, have feeling for Taeyeon, then a girlfriend like Boa shouldn’t piss her off.

“Only Seohyun and Mommy can call Taetae, taetae.”

Suddenly, Seohyun speaks, surprising everyone at the table. The child is always very respectful so the way she said it to Boa shocked everyone. It was as if Seohyun had transformed into a brat. Everyone looks at her with wide eyes and she puffs her cheeks as she looks down.

Looks like she’s realized what she just said.

“Hyunie~ that isn’t very nice.” Tiffany lectures but deep inside, she agrees with Seohyun, somehow, “Say sorry to unnie.”

Boa chuckles, “You can call me Boa. Unnie makes me feel old.”

You are old.. and very  pretty. –Tiffany

“Hyunie, apologize to Boa.” Tiffany corrects herself.

Seohyun sighs and looks at Boa with her big brown orbs, “I’m sorry, unnie.”

“It’s okay.” Boa reassures her and they continue to eat.

Seohyun is just having a bad day, that’s all.