Twelve

The Lawyer

“So, I guess Yunho’s back now?” Tiffany carefully asks as she takes a glance at Taeyeon whose busy reading some files. The lawyer looks up from her work and simply nods her head. There’s nothing to explain because technically, she’s under Yunho’s control now too.

“What’s your plan? Tiffany pries further. She bites her lips when she hears Taeyeon sigh, maybe she’s asked too much.

“We wait, Fany. That’s the only thing we can do.” Taeyeon finally answers and continues to go through the boxes they’ve found.

Tiffany can’t do anything but nod because she’s afraid she might piss Taeyeon off. She doesn’t want what happened to Sooyoung to happen to her too and besides, she doesn’t want to get into Taeyeon’s bad side again. She just shrugs and writes on the paper that Jessica gave her.

Taeyeon steals a glance and feels bad that maybe she’s a little harsh on Tiffany again this time. The girl just wants to break the pregnant silence anyway. She looks at her watch and smiles a little, it’s almost sunset; they could leave their work for a few minutes, it won’t hurt, right?

“So, Tiffany, come with me. I want to show you something.” She extends her arm as she looks at Tiffany who was looking at her with the same chocolate orbs Taeyeon grew to love each day, “Well? The sunset’s not going to wait for us, you know.”

Tiffany’s mouth forms an “O” and she grins. She’s always wanted to watch the sunset with someone… someone she can share her happiness with or someone who causes her happiness. She stares at Taeyeon who was waiting for her to hold her hand too. It’s as if she’s offering a getaway from all the sorrows of doing paperworks. She can’t help but smile and admire Taeyeon more,

She slowly extends her hand so it reaches Taeyeon’s hand, when their hands touched, Taeyeon squeezes the younger girl’s hand which makes the girl feel the fuzzy inside.

“Let’s go, Fany-ah, don’t look at me like that~” Taeyeon pulls the girl to stand up and the paralegal laughs at Taeyeon’s efforts.

“Okay, okay, come on, Tae.” She pats the older girl’s head and follows her to the elevator, their hands intertwined together.

~~~~~~~~~

“That Kim Taeyeon is getting on my nerves. She doesn’t even respect me as a partner! I’m still her boss and she still works for me!”

Meanwhile, the man who just came back from his grave grumbles to himself as he remembers what had just happened when he entered the firm. He feels disrespected, it’s as if Jessica pampered the lawyer too much that she can do and say everything that she wants no matter who she’s talking to.

Yunho clenches his fist when he remembers the scene that Taeyeon caused a while ago which embarrassed Yunho in front of the employees.

“I own this firm---“

“No you don’t.”

He looks up and sees Jessica enter his office, folders in hand as she sends him a deadly glare. The man should have been used to that but somehow, it intimidates him.

“I own this firm. You’re someone who’s name is on the door because we haven’t been able to change the name yet.”Jessica retorts as she slams the folders on Yunho’s table, “You’re just another high ranking employee who works under me.” The woman hisses.

“You can’t even defend yourself from me a while ago and you dare say that I’m under you?”

Jessica smirks, “Well, if you’re not following orders from me, you might as well get out of here because I don’t pay employees for slacking off.”

Jessica can’t believe this guy. He’s done a lot of very serious things in the past which put the firm’s name at risk and he still has the guts to come back and bring more . He left without anyone knowing the real reason because that’s what they’ve agreed upon. She gives Yunho a disgusted glare once she sees the man unable to answer,

“Son of a .” She mutters. She turns around and exits the office leaving the man more pissed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Tiffany watches in awe as the sun sets from the sky. She’s always known that the sun sets but she’s never really witnessed one so she’s very thankful to Taeyeon for accompanying her in watching their first sunset together.

Their.

She smiles to herself as she hears the word in her mind. These days, she’s been realizing that maybe, just maybe, she’s starting to fall for someone who she isn’t even sure off; that’s not a bad thing but it isn’t a good thing either. She promised herself that the next time she lets someone in her heart, she has to make sure that that person will be the best one for her.

Taeyeon is everything she’s ever dreamt of, really, but there’s just something off about the woman which stops Tiffany from falling further. She’s too self-centered and she gets annoyed easily, she doesn’t know how to have fun either.

Fun, for Taeyeon is hooking up, nothing serious or anything.

And she’s completely the opposite of Tiffany.

The paralegal wants something and someone serious. Someone who she can be with and never get bored of and vice versa, someone who can go with flow and simply, everything that Taeyeon is.

“Fany…”

“Hm?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Of course! What is it?”

“I have this friend who is starting to fall for a single mom but my friend is not ready for commitments yet…” Taeyeon pauses thinking of the right terms to say without sounding so serious, “and she’s afraid to get hurt too because the single mom didn’t want her the last time.”

Tiffany furrows an eyebrow as she ponders, “Well, not everyone falls in love at first sight so I suggest that your friend should make the single mom fall for her instead.” She suggests, although she doesn’t think that she’s making sense.

“How?”

“Hm, give her flowers, go to dinner or go places they’ve never been before.” Tiffany smiles when she remembers the most important thing since Taeyeon’s friend is a single mom, “But most of all, your friend should get through the single mom’s parents and child first” she laughs at Taeyeon’s reaction though.

“Why? She’s only in love with the mother.” Taeyeon answers back. It doesn’t make sense to her.

“The courting process is very long and it should be very sweet.” Tiffany explains, “For example, as a single mom, I don’t want to repeat mistakes from the past so I need to know the person first before I give the person a chance. It’s like playing things safe.” She adds, “And regarding the parents, of course! They’ve seen their daughter suffer and cry a lot for a mistake so they’d want to know the person too to avoid history from repeating.”

“What about the child?”

“Hm, they say that little children see and feel things an adult can’t see or feel, they’re very sensitive so they know who they like and who they don’t like. Sometimes, like in my case, I usually rely on Seohyun when it comes to these things.”

Taeyeon’s mouth forms an “O” as she nods her head. Now she knows what to do with Tiffany and of course Seohyun. It’s not really a “friend” but rather she’s asking Tiffany about something she can’t ask by using her name.

“My friend would be very happy to know this.” Taeyeon mutters as she wraps her arm around Tiffany’s shoulders.

“Excuse me, Miss Kim Taeyeon.” Tiffany smirks and removes the hand around her, “You are so into me you can’t even get a hold of yourself.” She teases.

“In your dreams, Hwang. I have never been in love and I am definitely not into you.” Taeyeon denies. She doesn’t know that her words will affect Tiffany’s mood.

“Oh.” Tiffany’s mood drops at Taeyeon’s answer. This is exactly why she can’t let her in no matter how much she wants to and no matter how much Taeyeon fits her ideal lover.

The lawyer notices the sudden mood drop but decides to let it go. She doesn’t trust herself so maybe she’s just imagining things like Tiffany being disappointed at her answer. Truth is, she likes Tiffany a lot, in fact, she thinks she’s starting to know what love is.

“Fany, what is love for you?” She decides to ask.

Tiffany looks at her with cute chocolate orbs as she thinks,

Love is you, I guess.

“Love is… staying with that one person and never having the thought of leaving.” She smiles to herself as she continues, “Love is being warm in the arms of that one person and love is accepting and understanding one another. Love is basically a risk.”

Taeyeon furrows her eyebrows at the last part though, “Why is it a risk?”

“Because sometimes, you don’t know if your partner will even try to accept or understand you. You will never know whether that person would treat you the same way you treat him or her. And that’s very sad. Odds of finding the perfect one for you is very slim and when you do find your someone, sometimes you still can’t let that person in.”

Taeyeon stares at Tiffany as if she’s saying unbelievable words. It’s Taeyeon and everything that involves love is complicated for her so she doesn’t think Tiffany is making sense right now but she’ll try, she’ll try to understand the language of love.

“But hey, why are you asking these questions Tae? Are you in love?” Tiffany teases and nudges Taeyeon but deep inside, she knows that she will be hurt if the lawyer says yes and it’s to someone else.

Taeyeon chuckles and pats Tiffany’s head, “I like someone else and everything’s just so new to me but I’ll try to understand what love is. Until I understand what it is, that’s the only time I can say that I am in love.”

And that’s when Tiffany felt a pang in her heart.

“Oh… that’s… great to hear. The great lawyer Kim Taeyeon likes someone” she tries to laugh but it sounds awkward.

“So Fany, how ‘bout I treat you somewhere tonight, huh? For giving me words of wisdom?” Taeyeon wiggles her brows and brings Tiffany in for a hug. She’s so used to Tiffany already that she doesn’t even think twice of what she’ll do to the girl anymore.

Tiffany hugs her back, for the first time, the closest she’s been to Taeyeon and swears that the girl might just be the warmest person ever. She’s perfect for the moderately cool weather. Unconsciously, she hugs Taeyeon tighter, the lawyer’s heart beating against her and she’s satisfied of that.

“So let’s go?”

And Tiffany nods.

After an hour of arguing where they would eat their dinner, Tiffany decided she’d bring Taeyeon to her favourite Korean food restaurant not far away from the firm. It’s nothing fancy, just ordinary and very calming. This is where she usually eats and study for her exams.

“I want that milkshake.” Taeyeon says as she puts the menu down. She’s curious why there are milkshakes in the selection when the sign obviously says it’s a korea food restaurant, but hey, who is she to judge the concept.

Tiffany chuckles and nods her head anyway. She raises her hand to call on the waiter’s attention.

“Yes, miss?”

The paralegal started telling the waiter their orders and the waiter leans too close to Tiffany; and Taeyeon does not like it. She keeps her eye on the waiter and squints at him once he glances at her. It’s as if she’s sending a warning to him. The waiter nods after and stares at Taeyeon again with an uncomfortable expression.

“Yah, Taeyeon, why are you scaring the waiter.” Tiffany mumbles so no one but Taeyeon can hear. She actually finds it very cute.

“Pfft, he’s gawking at you.” Taeyeon rolls her eyes and folds her arm like a kid she is. Tiffany likes it when the lawyer acts like a kid in front of her, it just means she’s very comfortable with Tiffany that she’s showing a different side.

“So? Let him gawk at me. I mean, I’m not even taken.” Tiffany giggles. She’s just teasing Taeyeon because if she didn’t know better, she’d think that Taeyeon is jealous.

The lawyer scoffs and plays with the menu completely ignoring Tiffany who is trying to hold her laughter.

Seeing that Taeyeon is no longer in the mood, Tiffany stops and just looks at the restaurant they’re in. She’s missed going here, it’s been long since she last had the chance to eat here. The work at the firm is stopping her from enjoying her time at the restaurant and besides, she’s too busy being with Taeyeon to be going here.

She smiles as she sees people entering the restaurant. A lot of people have been going here already, unlike in the earlier times where she’d only see a few. Suddenly, the smile on her face is replaced by un unreadable expression when she sees the person she doesn’t even want to see enter.

“.” She mutters causing Taeyeon to immediately look at her.

“You said something?”

“Seohyun’s father…” the paralegal immediately hides behind the menu and points at the man who’s sitting behind Taeyeon.

“What?” Taeyeon asks. She can’t make anything out of what Tiffany is saying because obviously the girl is panicking.

Tiffany rolls her eyes at Taeyeon’s slowness and brings out her phone instead to type what she wants to say. She quickly taps on the keys and shows it to Taeyeon

Seohyun’s father is behind you.

“Behind me?”

Tiffany almost wants to punch Taeyeon for not being able to control her voice. She always uses the voice of power, as what Tiffany calls it, and the lawyer speaks louder than normal because she thinks she’s superior.

Her eyes widen when Taeyeon attempts to look behind her so, impulsively, she kicks Taeyeon in the shin making the lawyer yelp and shout in pain. Tiffany couldn’t help but facepalm herself at her stupidity. Now everyone’s looking at their table.

“Sorry, sorry.” She mutter as she makes little bows to the diners.

“Tiffany?” A man’s voice is heard, “Tiffany is that you?”

Taeyeon looks at the source of the voice with an unamused face, who dare call Tiffany by her name in public. She looks at the man and frowns.

“Who are you?” Taeyeon glares at him and it makes him stop on his track. He’s planning to approach Tiffany and it’s irking Taeyeon to no end, “What do you want? Go back to your table.” She adds, her glares turning more scary

“Tae!” Tiffany gives the shorter girl a look. She’s being rude to the man and that’s Seohyun’s father. She rolls her eyes at the lawyer when she hears her scoff again.

“So it is you.” The man smiles and helps Tiffany pick up the fork and the menu.

Taeyeon watches in disbelief. She feels as if Tiffany’s cheating on her already and there’s not even a them to begin with. She scoffs again and rolls her eyes because she doesn’t want t watch anymore because obviously, Tiffany is panicking and she thinks that when people panic, it means they’re shy.

However she can’t help but look at them and she frowns even further when Tiffany blushes.

Stupid Hwang blushing like a crazy girl.

And hey, what irks her even more is when the two people accidentally touches each other’s hands. Unbelievable! That only happens in the movies!

Because she thinks she’s watched enough, Taeyeon stands up, can’t even stand seeing the man’s face anymore, and fixes her blouse. It’s a mannerism she’s grown up with whenever she’s feeling sad. She scoffs one final time and taps the top of Tiffany’s head,

“I’m going now.” She deadpans and starts to walk off but Tiffany grabs to her sleeve to stop her from leaving,

“Wait for me, please?”

The man cluelessly stares at them ; at Taeyeon then back to Tiffany and vice versa. He is taken aback when he sees Taeyeon looking back at him with a teasing smirk, as if saying “In your face, bro.”

Tiffany stands up after picking up the last thing that’s on the floor and bows to the man,

“Have a good night, Daniel.”

She holds onto Taeyeon’s incredible warm hand and intertwines it with her. Her hands are cold without any reason and that annoys Taeyeon even more. She mentally beats the guy up to death when they finally exit the restaurant.

“Stupid guy.” She mutter which gains Tiffany’s attention.

“Tae, why are you pissed?”

“Pfft, you were so nervous in front of that guy!” Taeyeon’s voice raises a notch higher which amuses Tiffany.

She laughs and pokes Taeyeon’s cheeks so she looks at her, “And I don’t see something wrong with that? I mean, we were lovers and he’s Seohyun’s father.”

“So? He’s never even a father to Seohyun.” Taeyeon argues and pulls her hands from Tiffany’s hold. She can’t believe that Tiffany would warmly welcome the man who hurt her after all those years, “That doesn’t change the fact that he left you and Seohyun.”

Tiffany stops walking and tugs on Taeyeon’s sleeve again, “Why are you so mad then? If there’s anyone who should be mad here, it should be me.” She folded her arms and puffs her cheeks almost causing Taeyeon to squeal, almost, “You even disrespected him by acting like a kid!”

Taeyeon’s mouth opens at Tiffany’s words, “You think I was acting like a kid?” she scoffs and walks nearer Tiffany, “He didn’t respect you when he left so why should I respect him now?”

“You know what Kim Taeyeon, I don’t even know why we’re arguing about that man. What I’m saying is that you shouldn’t have disrespected him by walking out of the restaurant. We didn’t even get to eat our meals.”

“I lost my appetite.”

Tiffany punches Taeyeon’s arms and stares at her in disbelief, “You’re unbelievable!”

“That doesn’t make you better than me!”

“You know what? Bringing you to my special place is a mistake!” Tiffany shouts. It’s a good thing that no one was around to hear their argument. This is exactly the reason why she can’t let Taeyeon enter her life or her heart.

“Do not blame me then! Blame him since he ruined the night!” Taeyeon shouts back, she is not one to back down.

Tiffany groans in frustration and bites the insides of her cheeks. The lawyer is pissing her off and she doesn’t even want to be near her tonight. Why does she have to act childish anyway.

“Forget it, I’m going home Taeyeon. Don’t even think of following me.” She walks off and immediately hails a cab as Taeyeon watches.

“It’s not like I want to follow you anyway!!!”

Taeyeon kicks a pebble in frustration as she watches the cab that Tiffany’s in drive off.

And so there goes their first argument as friends.