Eleventh

The Lawyer

            “Mr. Jung, we’ve arrived.”

            The man by the name of Mr. Jung smirks as he puts his glass of champagne down. After muttering his thank you to the pilot he had his bodyguards him outside of the plane. He stands up from his first class seat and buttons his coat as he gets ready to unboard the plane.

            “This way, sir.” One of his body guards holds the curtain for him as he walks.

            “Is the driver here?” he asks as he puts on his sunglasses to protect his eyes from the sun. He wants to see Jessica directly in the eye and watch as her firm goes down. He smirks again when the guard nods his head and points to the black car waiting for him outside the plane.

            It’s been so long.

            And he doesn’t appreciate hiding from his enemies. He’s come back to Korea after his mother left to rest. He figures he doesn’t have a reason to not avenge himself since no one will tell him not to anymore. He’d like to claim what’s his, one more time.

            The guard opens the car door for him and that’s when he knows that revenge is going to be sweet for him.

~~~~~~~~~~

            “Aish, Really! I hate public transportation!” Taeyeon annoyingly scratches her head as she gets off the bus. She figured that she didn’t want to drive today so she left and just took the public transportation but that, is the worst mistake she’s ever made.

            Her public transportation experience included waiting for a not-so-empty bus and when the bus arrived, there was already a very long line so the bus ended up being crowded. Another experience is she sat between two sweaty men who had extreme cases of body odor and the last experience is the bus driver missed the spot where she’s supposed to get off.

            Taeyeon swears that she’ll never take public transportation again.

            She smells herself and surprisingly, the men’s odor did not rub on her and that makes her feel relieved. She shrugs and stops at her favorite bagel stand,

            “One bagel please.” She pulls out her wallet to get a dollar and gives it to the vendor as she gets the bagel.

            Taeyeon immediately takes a bite at the food in her hand because she didn’t get to eat breakfast at home. She closes her eyes and indulges into chewing the food, she smiles at the taste and silently thanks the Gods for bagels.

            “Hey, Taeyeon.”

            Taeyeon looks around with furrowed eyebrows at the person who just called her. She hates this, being called by co-workers outside of the building, it’s just against her “me-time”. The sight of the caller makes her roll her eyes, it’s Sooyoung,

            “What?” Taeyeon grumbles, “You wanna take a bite on my bagel?”

            Sooyoung gives her a weird look then shakes her head, “I saw Hyoyeon and Yunho having breakfast together.” She whispers.

            Taeyeon, who’s cheeks was filled with bites of bagel just looks at her in shock, “You what?” she mutters. She doesn’t care if is full; any news about Yunho is an emergency.

            “Yes, I saw them a while ago while I was buying my cake.” Sooyoung holds up a paper bag to show it to Taeyeon who doesn’t seem to care about her cake.

            “Did they see you?”

            “Fortunately, no.” Sooyoung answers, “Is there anything you’re hiding from me, Tae?” she timidly asks. She just wants to be IN the conversation. She wants to know what Taeyeon already knows because she thinks it’s the only way for them to be close, and for her to be in the same position as Taeyeon too.

            Taeyeon stops Sooyoung from walking and looks at her dead in the eye, “Listen, Soo, whatever I know, you’ll know too. We’re in the same team remember?” she pauses as she sees Sooyoung grin in excitement at what she’s about to say, “But not yet. You’ll know it soon.”  Taeyeon pats her shoulders and walks away.

            Sooyoung’s grin disappears and is replaced by a frown, she runs to match Taeyeon’s pace and continues to egg Taeyeon, “But I have the right to know too, Taeyeon!” she argues. Grabbing Taeyeon’s blouse to stop her from walking.

            “Yes, you have the right to know but not yet.” Taeyeon swings her arm so Sooyoung let’s go of her blouse, “Just go and eat your cake, Soo.” She continues walking and leaves Sooyoung, pissed.

            Sometimes, Sooyoung really hates Taeyeon and her guts. She also hates that Taeyeon is close to their boss and she also hates that Taeyeon gets all the credit while she just stays there at the back. She hates that no one appreciates her work and she hates that Jessica ignores her records. She watches as Taeyeon walks away from her and she can’t help but clench her fist.

            “Someday I’m going to get you, Kim Taeyeon.”

            Meanwhile, Taeyeon shakes her head because she finds Sooyoung unbelievable. The woman thinks she’s better than her and everyone knows they’re not. She always sticks her nose at other people’s businesses and that’s what’s stopping Taeyeon from befriending her, she cannot be trusted.

            “Unbelievable” she mutters under her breath.

            “Hey Tae!”

            The lawyer rolls her eyes again thinking that it’s Sooyoung calling her, she turns around looking pissed and in an almost shouting voice says, “What?!”

            The owner of the voice is taken a back.

            Taeyeon’s eyes widens at the sight. It’s Tiffany!

            “I-I mean…” Taeyeon stutters, “I’m sorry, I thought it’s Sooyoung again.” She looks down, feeling embarrassed.

            Tiffany smiles. The lawyer looks like a puppy who just got scolded for being a bad dog. But her, she can’t say that out loud to Taeyeon even if she means it in a good way. Taeyeon might misunderstand because she’s sensitive when it comes to that word.

            “It’s fine. Why are you pissed?” She asks in a comforting voice. She puts her arm around Taeyeon’s back and immediately, Taeyeon calms down. She glances at Tiffany and smiles, as if thanking the girl for coming.

            “She’s trying to get information about me because she saw Yunho and Hyoyeon having breakfast a while ago.” Taeyeon explains as she takes a bite at her bagel, “I mean, she’ll know in time! We can’t keep it forever because anytime, Yunho might come barging into the firm.”

            Tiffany nods her head as she rubs Taeyeon’s back, “Why can’t you tell her, Tae? I mean, you’ve told me and I’m just a paralegal. Why can’t you tell Sooyoung? Between the two of us, I think she has the right to know more.”

            Taeyeon sighs, “You don’t know her, Fany-ah, she’s… she can’t be trusted.”

            “Why is that?”

            “I don’t know. I just can’t trust her.”

            Tiffany decides not to pry more because she might piss Taeyeon off too and that’s the last thing she wants. She just nods and takes a sip in her coffee,

            “You take the public transportation every day?” Taeyeon suddenly asks., her face displaying disbelief and disgust.

            Tiffany chuckles as she nods her head, “Yes. Every day.”

            Taeyeon makes a face at the answer. She can’t even stand taking public transpo for an hour!

            “I took it today and I don’t think I’m going to repeat it again.” Taeyeon shakes her head as she takes a bite into her bagel again.

            “Why not?”

            “It’s just unpleasant.” She can’t find the right words to explain it. Everything about public transportation is negative, “I mean, no, I swear I won’t go back to public transportation. It’s just… negative! Everything is negative!”

            Tiffany laughs when Taeyeon throws her hands up in the air as she explains how she felt during her time at the bus. It’s so nice to have casual conversations like this with the person she loves to be around most these days, it just makes her day better. She continues to smile as she looks at Taeyeon being cute.

            “You know Tae, why don’t we take the public transportation together?” she offers as she wiggles her eyebrows.

            Taeyeon furrows her eyebrows. She doesn’t think it’s a good idea obviously but come on, she’s going to spend an hour with Tiffany everyday! Maybe the girl would help her through the trip and besides, no more smelly seatmates and she’ll even have the chance to sit with Tiffany.

            “Hm, I’ll think about it and I’ll let you know tonight when work hours end.”

            Tiffany scoffs to tease Taeyeon, “So you’re telling me, that Kim Taeyeon can’t even take a challenge?” she laughs and smirks when she sees Taeyeon looking at her with wide opened mouth, “I thought you could do everything?” she grins teasingly and nudges Taeyeon, “Or maybe you can’t.” she shrugs and enters the building leaving the lawyer behind.

            “Really, this girl is challenging me?” The lawyer stares at Tiffany’s back in disbelief, “I don’t back down at any challenge” she mutters to herself. She hurriedly enters the bulding too and runs after Tiffany.

            “Hey Hwang! Who told you I’m backing out?” Taeyeon stops when she’s caught up with Tiffany who was smirking at her, “Of course! I accept your challenge!”

            “Okay then, 6 o’clock, outside the building. I’ll see you!” Tiffany giggles and enters the elevator, leaving Taeyeon behind.

            “Pfft, I’ll make you eat dust later Hwang Tiffany!” She presses the elevator button and chuckles to herself, she can't believe someone dares to challenge her like Tiffany did.

~~~~~~~~

            “Bunny where’s Taeyeon?”

            Jessica asks as she nears the short girl’s table. She needs to talk to TAeyeon about something urgent but since Sunny already knows about Yunho, maybe she could tell her too. Sunny then points at the elevator that Taeyeon is now exiting.

            “Taeyeon! Let’s talk.” She motions for the older girl to enter the office and leaves Sunny’s table.

            Taeyeon gives Sunny a look and gets a shrug in response so the former just shrugs then follows Jessica to the office.

            “So, what’s up Jess?” She asks as she sits down on her chair.

            Jessica looks pale and she’s fidgeting. A fidgeting Jessica isn’t good news so Taeyeon raises an eyebrow at her, asking the same question she just did.

            “Yunho’s men are here and they’re currently fixing his office.” Jessica reveals.

            Taeyeon’s jaw drops at the revelation. Why now? When everythings seems to be going fine with everyone in the office. It’s too soon! She has not even convinced Hyoyeon about testifying against him and now her chance of closing Hyoyeon became thinner.

            “B-but…”

            Jessica sighs, “There’s no time for buts, Tae. We have to do something now.”

            “I’ll go and meet Hyo---“

            “Guys, I hate to break this to you but Jung Yunho is at the lobby.” Sunny speaks from the telephone.

            Taeyeon and Jessica can only exchange glances. They immediately stand up and pace towards Sunny’s table and they both stop on their tracks when Yunho’s men start to get out of the elevator. Taeyeon can only gulp when Yunho finally gets off.

            “Hello, Jessica, Taeyeon.” The man nods and smirks at them as he s his coat, “It’s nice to be back.”

            Jessica gathers herself and returns a smile at Yunho. It’s been long and his face has not changed one bit, “I think the only happy person around here that’s happy for your comeback is yourself.” She quips.

            Yunho’s smirk disappears. Jessica is still sassy as usual.

            “There’s no reason for you to bring all your men up here. The place isn’t big enough…” Jessica pauses before she drops it, “For all of us.”

            Yunho couldn’t say a word. He’s just excited to be back and Jessica seems to be unwelcoming. He walks closer to the lawyer and leans on her, “I’m still a partner, Jessica.”

            Taeyeon mentally yelps at the word. It’s true, he’s still a partner and Jessica refuses to remove his name at the door. She doesn’t flinch when Yunho stares at her in amusement,

            “Hello Taeyeon, it’s been long.” Yunho stares at her from head to toe and smiles, annoyingly, as if he’s teasing Taeyeon, “And not one bit has changed.”

            Taeyeon looks at him and smirks back, “Actually, I’m senior partner now.” She points to the office behind them and whispers, “That’s my office. It’s approximately the same size but I think it’s bigger than yours.” She answers back, making Sunny silently laugh at the back.

            Yunho glares at the lawyer when she answers. She goes back to Jessica who’s trying to stop herself from laughing hard.

            “Well, there’s nothing to look at here, folks. It’s just Jung Yunho, just look at him like how you look at Jessica, he’s nothing special.” Taeyeon explains to the employees who stopped when Yunho arrived, “And you, Mr. Jung, get back to work because...” she glances at the clock and smiles teasingly, “It’s work hours. You don’t get paid for standing here with your men.” The lawyer winks and taps the man’s arms.

            Jessica and Sunny snort after seeing Yunho’s unamused face as he watches Taeyeon enter her own office.

            “What are you laughing at?” He growls at Sunny.

~~~~~~~~~

            Tiffany’s having a very long day. She’s finished tons of paper works and time seems to not pass at all. She feels as if her energy has been drained by all the work and her office still looks the same; the same office with all the files that need to be finished today. She buries her face into her palms when she remembers that she still has a test tomorrow.

            “Everything is piling up, aigoo.” She cries.

            The only thing that’s keeping her from going home early to sulk in her room is Taeyeon and their public transportation challenge . She unconsciously smiles and bites her lip at the thought of Taeyeon and as if because of divine intervention, energy starts to fill her again. She decides to fish her wallet from her back to look at a certain someone’s picture.

            She looks around, as if trying to make sure that no one will see her.

            “Just a little peek because I miss you.” She dreamily drops her head on her table as she stares at the picture with hearts around her. The photo seems to refill her and give her the determination to finish the day’s work and besides, you know what they say, if you can’t look at the person, look at their picture instead.

            Taeyeon is definitely not there to accompany her and help her in her work.

            “Fany?”

            Tiffany’s ears perk up as she hears the familiar voice. She immediately folds her wallet and hides it in her drawer as fast as she can so that the person doesn’t see it.

            “Hi, Tae!” she almost squeals as she shows Taeyeon a very wide and awkward smile.

            Taeyeon stops midway to her table because she is taken aback by Tiffany’s sudden reaction at her arrival. She can’t help but furrow her eyebrows because she thinks she saw Tiffany immediately hide something in her drawer but immediately shrugs it off because maybe it’s just Seohyun’s father’s photo but hey, Seohyun told her that the woman keeps a photo of her in her wallet so why not for it?

            “What’s that?” she asks, faking a curious face as she approaches the table. She mentally laughs when she sees Tiffany gulp, “I saw you looking at something.”

            “H-huh? I wasn’t looking at something.” Tiffany tries her best to hide her nervousness at the now walking nearer Taeyeon, “You have to get your eyes checked, Tae.” She adds with a fake chuckle.

            Such a cutie! –Taeyeon’s consciousness

            “Are you sure you aren’t looking at my picture?” Taeyeon smirks when she sees Tiffany’s eyes widen at the accusation.

            “You are out of your mind, Kim. I don’t have your picture in my wallet!” Tiffany denies and turns her back so she’s now facing her computer and not Taeyeon. She can’t give in to the lawyer, she can’t let Taeyeon see her cheeks decorated with red tint.

            “I didn’t mention anything about your wallet, Fany.” Taeyeon knows she got the girl and she isn’t planning to let this slip, “Are you hiding a picture of me in your wallet?” she pries even more as she half-sits on Tiffany’s table.

            The younger girl can’t help but stare at Taeyeon’s defined arms, she doesn’t even work out! Hell, she doesn’t even work or write anything but damn, those forearms are to die for. She unconsciously bites her lip as sweat starts to drip

            Damn it sweat, get back to the pore where you came from! – Tiffany’s conscience

            She almost squeaks when Taeyeon leans closer to her ear and whispers,

            “I don’t mind if you keep a picture of me in your wallet, Fany, in fact, I find it very cute and… daring at the same time.”

            Tiffany turns her head to face Taeyeon and sees that their faces are again only inches away from each other. She eyes the lawyer’s lips in perfect red tint that makes it look very kissable; the lawyer doesn’t even wear lipstick!

            “Miss Hwang I would like you to help Tae--- oh my God, Jesus what the f----“

            “Suddenly, out of nowhere, Jessica comes into the paralegal’s office and is surprised to see Taeyeon and Tiffany kissing! She can’t see it well but since in her angle, Taeyeon and Tiffany looks like they’re kissing, she assumes they are. She sees Taeyeon break off from the “kiss” and stares at her,

            “Jessica?”

            “You lovebirds shouldn’t be doing this in my firm, my gosh, get a room!” She babbles as she fans herself. Normally, she doesn’t tolerate these types of actions in her firm especially during work hours but she’ll let this pass since Taeyeon helped her deal with Yunho earlier.

            “What are you talking ab----“

            “Tut-tut-tut..” The boss waves a finger at Taeyeon and turns Tiffany’s chair around so the paralegal is now facing her, “You, since you’re already kissing each other inside my firm, you shall help this woman and give her the necessary details for these cases, so she could close them.” She puts the folders down on Tiffany’s table and the girl can’t help but sigh.

            Folders are again piled up and there’s no one to help her.

            “And you, Kim Taeyeon since you’re flirting with this paralegal, you shall help her do all her work so she can have the time to help you in yours.” Jessica instructs and gets a nod from Taeyeon. That’s new. The lawyer does not take orders and will not work if it involves research.

            Jessica leans back and takes a look at the two; well, they do look good together.

            “I better get going. Got a lot of work to do.” Jessica turns around and starts to walk out of the door but stops midway, she turns around again and says, “No in the file room or the library or any other rooms or offices.” And with that, exits the office leaving two people blushing and dumbfounded.

            “What just happened?” Tiffany mutters.

            “Nothing. I think she’s drunk.” 

-------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hello! I wasn't able to update yesterday because classes started so I'm very sorry for that. I'll try to post two updates today if I can! Happy reading and sorry for typos. I haven't been able to find time to edit so I'm sorry again D: