Thirtheenth

The Lawyer

            Tiffany couldn’t bring herself to sleep that night. She doesn’t know what to feel either; she feels that somehow, Taeyeon might have been jealous but again, the lawyer had told her that she doesn’t like her at all. What baffles Tiffany the most though is why Taeyeon acted so pissed and disrespectful to her ex.

            She can’t explain the feeling she got when she saw him again. It’s not love, really, she’s long over that phase and she’s more than sure that she’s moved on. She thinks it’s more like longing than love itself. She didn’t feel butterflies anymore nor did she feel her heart beating faster. What made her heart beat faster was when Taeyeon started acting cold and like a jealous girlfriend.

            “I don’t know, Tae.” She sighs and drops her head on her table as she thinks.

            She pokes the folders that she should be giving Taeyeon and rolls her eyes at it obviously; she doesn’t want to bring the folders to Taeyeon, not after what had happened. She doesn’t even know if Taeyeon will still talk to her after she walked away from her like that. It was like punching Taeyeon’s ego, as how Tiffany wants to put it.

            But hey, she isn’t at fault either! If Taeyeon respected the man then none of those would have happened. The paralegal sits up and exhales loudly as she finds her strength. She isn’t the wrong one, Taeyeon is. She manages to get up from her table as she clasps the folders over her chest getting ready to go a few floors up to give the folders to Taeyeon.

            Upon exiting her office, some lawyers smile at her. She’s really a looker, almost everyone in the firm like her for being so bubbly and for being an energy pill when everyone seems to give up. Sometimes, she also makes coffee and deliver it to lawyers’ office to relieve them from stress. The only person she doesn’t give coffee too is Taeyeon because that’s Sunny’s job.

            She inhales a huge amount of air when the elevator dings, signifying that she’s arrived at the floor. Her eyes scan the area and is relieved that she has not seen Taeyeon.

            “Oh hey, Tiff!”

            Sunny who is holding a coffee cup taps her back as she smiles. It’s been a few days already since she last saw the girl.

            “Hi Sunny. Can I leave you these folders?” Tiffany asks and walks with Sunny to her table. The shorter girl looks at her strangely as she looks at the folders

            “These are for Taeyeon, right? She’s over there, why don’t you give it to her?” Sunny isn’t trying to be rude, she’s just curious why Tiffany doesn’t want to give the folders to the lawyer. The girl is pretty sure that Taeyeon and Tiffany should have been closer now that they work together.

            Tiffany sighs at Sunny’s answer then bites her lip. She isn’t sure if she should tell Sunny.

            “Tiff, did something happen?”

            “We got into a fight last night.” Tiffany admits seemingly finding the folders amusing at the moment. She doesn’t want to meet Sunny’s eyes.

            “Why?”

            “I brought her to my special place; it’s a Korean restaurant a few blocks away, then I saw Seohyun’s father come in. I panicked and I kicked Taeyeon’s shin then… to cut the story short, she disrespected my ex and walked out of the restaurant immediately when she saw my ex help me pick up the things that were dropped on the floor when I kicked her shin.” Tiffany tries hard to explain but Sunny does not seem to get it.

            Sunny puts her coffee down on her table as she tries to digest what Tiffany is trying to say.

            “So let me get this straight…” she pauses and blinks a couple times, “she got jealous?”

            Tiffany frantically nods her head and puts the folders down on Sunny’s table too as she waves her hands in denial. Sunny isn’t getting it!

            “No, no! She got pissed although I don’t really know why.”

            Sunny’s mouth forms an “o” as she thinks of what to say, “Yeah, she got jealous.”  She continues again

            “No! Why would she be jealous? She doesn’t even like me.” Tiffany frowns at what she has said. That hurts more coming from her own mouth.

            The shorter girl is on the verge of laughing at what Tiffany said. She thinks Taeyeon doesn’t like her? They’re both very dense, alright.

            “Why do you say that she doesn’t like you?”

            “She told me last night that she’d never like me.” Tiffany explains again, looking down because now she’s sad.

            “Did she watch the sunset with you?”

            “Yeah, she did.”

            And that is when Sunny started laughing like a mad woman. Taeyeon is so stupid when it comes to love that her stupidity has now rubbed at Tiffany too. She wipes the invinsible tears from her eyes and Tiffany frowns, Sunny seems to be looking at their situation like it’s a joke. It’s not a joke!

            “Why are you laughing?” she asks, “are you mocking me?”

            Sunny shakes her head and continues laughing. She knows Taeyeon like the back of her hand and she is very familiar with Taeyeon’s ways of expressing her love to a girl. She gets tips from the movies that she watches and Sunny thinks it’s pretty lame. In simpler terms, Taeyeon was letting Tiffany know that she is falling for her!

            I will bring her to watch the sunset with me. As what Taeyeon had said before.

            Well, if Sunny was Tiffany, she probably won’t get it either. Taeyeon is such a mystery.

            “I am not mocking you, Tiff.” Once she recovers, she holds Tiffany by the shoulder and smiles, “Trust me on this, she was jealous last night which is why she got mad and she walked out of the restaurant.” She gets the folders that Tiffany brought and put it inside her table, “Now, I want you to go back to your office and reflect on what happened. I will give these folders to Taeyeon, okay?” she smiles and pats Tiffany’s shoulders again.

            Tiffany just sighs, thinking that maybe Sunny didn’t get her at all. She just nods and immediately turn around only to bump her head at someone. She looks up, surprise shown all over her face

            “Bunny where’s my coffee?”

            Taeyeon just stares at her as if she was someone she didn’t know and the paralegal really hates it when people do that to her. She huffs and gets off of Taeyeon way and quickly entering the elevator, she intentionally bumps Taeyeon on the way.

            “What’s with her?” The lawyer asks and takes a sip of her coffee.

            Sunny stands there and watches as Tiffany’s figure disappears and she gives the lawyer a glare. Taeyeon was just looking at her, completely clueless of what’s happening so Sunny grabbed a newpaper, rolls it and hits Taeyeon in the head.

            “Yah! What are you doing!” Taeyeon squats for her life as Sunny hits her continuously.

            “Damn it Taeyeon! Be romantic for once!”

            “What are you saying!? Ouch!”

            Sunny inhales and exhales heavily when she’s done hitting the older girl with her news paper. She stares at Taeyeon who is cowering in fear, watching Sunny’s every move.

            “You made Tiffany cry!”

            Taeyeon is taken aback, she doesn’t think she did something wrong, “I did not!” she wholeheartedly denies as she dramatically puts her hand over her chest, faking a hurt look.

            “ what did you do last night!?” Sunny urges the girl to tell her the story but seeing Taeyeon ignoring her calls and urges, she discreetle pinches Taeyeon making the lawyer yelp and almost bow down at Sunny.

            “Are you going to tell the story now?”

            Taeyeon grabs the edge of Sunny’s table as her face contorts in pain, she nods her head and exhales in relief when Sunny lets her skin go, “I got jealous. There, I said it.” She rubs the spot that the secretary pinched and almost cries when she sees it in red.

            “Why can’t you just confess then!?”

            “I’m scared. She didn’t want me the last time, remember?”

            Sunny rolls her eyes, Taeyeon is very dependent to other people. She doesn’t even want to confess to Tiffany first! What if Tiffany likes her back?

Of course Sunny knows that Tiffany likes Taeyeon too.

            “Go back to your office and leave this to me.” Sunny instructs and pushes Taeyeon inside her office. She then pulls out her phone and dials a number.

~~~~~~~~~~

            “Good morning, Sooyoung-ssi”

            Sooyoung looks at who is calling her and sees Yunho smiling from the door. She bows as a sign of respect and puts the mini broom she’s using to clean her table. She smiles back and extends her hand to the man so they can shake hands.

            “Good morning, Yunho-ssi, what brings you here?”

            Yunho sits down on the chair and he is followed by Sooyoung. The man thinks that if there is someone who is gullible enough to believe in him, it would be Sooyoung because he discovered that the lawyer doesn’t like Taeyeon; she’s the perfect dog to attack Jessica’s guard dog.

            “Well, we all know that every oartner is entitled to name one senior partner right?” He starts making Sooyoung’s ears perk up, “And I realized that there’s no one as qualified as you for the job. Not even Kim Taeyeon.”

            Sooyoung unconsciously smiles at Yunho’s words. Finally, someone is seeing her worth and is not just Taeyeon, Taeyeon and Taeyeon. She nods her head as she feels flattered by the words

            “So I’m going to name you as my senior partner, Sooyoung because you derserve it! You’ve been working so hard but everyone seems to push you at the back of the picture.”

            “I-Is this serious?” Sooyoung couldn’t believe her ears. She’s being promoted and she’s going to be in the same position as Taeyeon!

            Yunho smirks and nods her head, “Of course! Senior Partner Sooyoung.” He wiggles his eyebrows and extends his hand for Sooyoung to shake.

            Sooyoung obviously can’t contain her happiness as she clenches her fists in excitement. She shakes Yunho’s hand and watches as he leaves. She grins after wards and starts to dial her mother’s number.

            “She is going to be proud of me.” She squeals, “And Kim Taeyeon, we are now on the same level.”

~~~~~~~~~~

            “Delivery for Miss Sunny?”

            A delivery boy suddenly disturbs Sunny, with a huge basket full of flowers and a medium sized teddy bear. She looks up and smiles as she checks what he brought. Everything is there, the only thing missing is Taeyeon speech of apology for Tiffany and Sunny can’t do that for the lawyer.

            “Here you go.” She hands the guy some dollars and grins as the delivery guy nods. She watches as the guy enters the elevator and she presses the telephone button afterwards,

            “Come out of your office.” She orders the lawyer.

            Taeyeon looks up and shoots her a look. Why would she get out of her office? She’s busy doing her own paperworks since obviously Tiffany isn’t planning to help her anymore.

            “Come out or I’m going to drag you out of there.”

            And that is enough to send shivers down Taeyeon’s spine. She sighs, feeling hopeless and defenseless against her own secretary, “What now, Bunny?”

            Sunny grabs the things she’s bought using Taeyeon’s money and hands it to Taeyeon. She then pulls Taeyeon to the elevator and presses the button, they wait and Sunny starts orienting her,

            “You give these to Tiffany and please look the cutest and of course, don’t forget to construct you own apology speech on your way down.” She fixes Taeyeon’s blouse and grins when the elevator opens, “Your ride’s here, Tae. Off you go!” then pushes the clueless girl inside not even giving her a chance to complain.

            Taeyeon stares at the gifts and stares at it in disbelief. Tiffany likes these things?  She scoffs and is startled when she hears her phone ring,

            Don’t forget to smile and make sure your message is amazing!

            She puts her phone down and struggles to get down of the elevator because of the huge basket. She presses the hold button on the elevator and starts to push the basket off the lift so she could pass. She wonders how Tiffany would bring this home.

            “Aigoo, this is stupid and exaggerated.” She complains to herself when she finally manages to get off. She makes a mental note to never let Sunny buy the gifts anymore and to avoid giving Tiffany gifts too! This should be the last gift she will give.

            She grabs the huge basket and carries it to Tiffany’s office. She’s relieved that no one in the firm seems to mind her carrying a huge thing like that. She looks crazy and not respectable! She rolls her eyes as she nears the office because this is too much effort, again, she struggles to open the office door and her heart pounds harder and faster when she sees Tiffany take a glance at her.

            Did she just ignore me?- Taeyeon

            “Y-yah! Open the door, Hwang!” She shouts because she can’t open the door. Tiffany completely ignores her and continues to work.

            However, Taeyeon doesn’t see the smile in Tiffany’s face when she saw the lawyer coming in with a huge basket of flowers. She ignored her call because she didn’t want the girl to see her grinning and blushing. Her heart pounds faster and faster when she hears Taeyeon ask someone rudely to open the office door for her.

            Taeyeon needs to practice not being rude to people.

            The paralegal takes a glance at the lawyer again and she bites her finger discretely while Taeyeon isn’t looking. She needs to hide her feels from Taeyeon or else she’ll think that she’s easy to get. She clears and faces Taeyeon with a serious face,

            “What?” she deadpans and she almost smirks when Taeyeon fidgets in front of her. Oh the powerful Hwang Tiffany and the powerless Taeyeon!

            “I-I… Listen, I’m not good at this so I’m just gonna say what’s on my mind.” Taeyeon sighs again and rolls up her sleeves which makes Tiffany cringe in a good way. The paralegal can’t help but gawk at Taeyeon, she looks a thousand times hotter with her sleeves rolled up like that. She avoids looking so she doesn’t blush but she can’t help but look.

            “Uhm, I’m very sorry for acting that way last night. I know that in some way, I was wrong for disrespecting him knowing that he is still Seohyun’s real father so I really apologize for my actions.” She pauses for a while to think of the next words she’s about to say. It’s now or never.

            “But other than that, I want to tell you something more important.”  She points to the basket of flowers and the bear that she’s put aside, “Those things, aren’t from me. Sunny bought them so I could give it to you as I apologize but since I’m done apologizing, I want to give something that’s from me.”

            So now, she’s got Tiffany’s attention. The paralegal puts her pen down and shares eye contact with Taeyeon.

            “We first met in a very unpleasant circumstance when you stole my wallet two years ago and somehow, when I finally got to meet you up close when Seohyun got lost, I was captivated by you.” Taeyeon clenches her fists as she cringes from her words, It’s very hard to confess, alright, “And I thought that that would be the last time that I’ll see you but luckily, no. It’s just the start.” She pauses again, now she’s got a speaker’s block; she can’t think of anything to say.

            “Confessing is so hard, Fany-ah, I don’t like it anymore.” She whines making Tiffany break into a smile.

            “Just continue, Tae, you’re doing good for a starter.” She urges.

            “I just want you to know that I like you; your presence, your smile and everything about you just makes me feel different. I always like being around you because I am myself when I’m with you. I know we didn’t have a great start as people but we can always turn pages and start a new part of the book, right? Last night, I was jealous because you seemed very shy and you were blushing when you saw your ex and that disturbs me. It disturbs me because I can’t share you already. I don’t want anyone to get your attention already but I don’t even have something to hold on to, you aren’t even mine.”

            Yet.- Tiffany’s conscience.

            “So? What are you trying to say?” Tiffany answers, she’s sure that she’s getting Taeyeon but she just wants to know what she really means, it’s very hard to assume when you’re talking to Taeyeon, everything can be wrong.

            “What I’m saying is, you’re making me feel a lot of things I never thought I’d feel before I met you and everything is so new to me that I don’t know what to do. I don’t think I love you but what I think may be different from what I feel! I can’t understand this feeling, it’s so complex and I just… feel it.” She paces in front of Tiffany and looks at her again, “I feel like I’m in love with you but I’m not sure.”

            Tiffany bites her lip to suppress a smile. Finally! But is she ready to let Taeyeon in? She stands up and walks closer to the lawyer, sandwiching her face into her hands,

            “Now listen to me Tae---“

            “If you’re going to reject---“ Taeyeon is cut off by Tiffany’s finger shushing her lips.

            “Listen, I think what you’re doing is very cute, you know, confessing with flowers and a bear…” she laughs as she points at the things she’s mentioned, “But I hope you know that you don’t need to give me those things to impress me.” She smiles and reaches for a remote and presses it so the mirrored walls of her office turns blurry.

            “I didn’t know your office had this feature.” Taeyeon comments.

            “Jessica had it installed a while ago,”  Tiffany laughs as she remember what Jessica told her and why she decided to install that feature on the office,

“So anyway, as I was saying, I just want you to be you. It’s not hard to like you Tae, you’re very likeable but if you want me to let you into my heart, you have to control your temper. You can’t just get mad at me for something that I have no control of, like meeting Seohyun’s father last night.”

Taeyeon frowns at the mention of the man again,

“You got to work your way through my heart if you really want me to let you in. Your way with women won’t work with me, Tae, even if you roll up your sleeves or the first two buttons of your blouse, it just isn’t going to work.” Tiffany warns, “Although I think you look very attractive when you do that.” She wiggles her eyebrows and buttons Taeyeon’s blouse for her.

“But can’t you just tell me you love me too?”

Tiffany chuckles. She didn’t expect Taeyeon to be this innocent!

“Nope, you haven’t even told me you love me?” Tiffany teases as she turns her back at Taeyeon so she could return to her table,

Taeyeon can’t help but roll her eyes. It’s so much work but come on, she loves Tiffany and the girl is finally giving her a chance!

“Fany-ah~” Taeyeon cooes.

Tiffany, who has her back turned to the girl can’t help but smile again. She’s been smiling a lot today because of one person. She hums to answer the call, her back still tirned against Taeyeon.

“I love you.”

            And those three words are enough to make her melt inside. She bites her lower lip to suppress a squeal from coming out of . After a few seconds of silence that she borrowed to collect herself, she turns around, as if Taeyeon’s words didn’t affect her enough…

            And that scared Taeyeon a lot,

            “Hm, you got to work to get my “I love you too” then, Tae.” 

~~~~~~

A/N: We just moved in to our new home, yay! But still, school lol. I'm in Quezon/Kizon/Kweson City now!

Wow I'm so random. Bye.