First

The Lawyer

            Being a lawyer is hard. You have to dedicate all your life to studying; it doesn’t just stop in school. Every day and in every case, you have to read and go to the bottom of everything; your enemies, your client, all that they did and went through in the past, you got to study and know everything or else you’ll get your kicked when you’re in the court room.

            Being -kicked especially to Taeyeon. It is a blow in her ego that’s why she rarely gets her kicked in the courtroom. She is the best closer in Korea after all, and the number one bachelorette in the country too.

            The reason?

            She doesn’t think she has the time to date someone who isn’t in the same level as her. She wants someone professional and besides, there are little to no women who would date the same in her country. At least that is what she thinks.

            “Here’s your black coffee, Tae”

            She smiles at Sunny, her secretary, as the shorter girl hands her the coffee for the boss’ daily caffeine fix.

            “Thanks Bunny.”

            If there was someone who knew Taeyeon like the back of her hand, it was Sunny. The latter had been there with Taeyeon since the beginning when she was still an associate. They were friends and never has Sunny imagined that Taeyeon would be her next boss. Their relationship isn’t strictly boss-employee though; they’re very open with each other, especially Sunny.

            Taeyeon is open either but not really something to read. Only Sunny can do that.

            “Mr. Lee called and he said he wants you to close a deal for him.” Sunny speaks as she puts down piles of folders on Taeyeon’s desk.

            Taeyeon just hums in response as she scrolled her e-mails. Sometimes, she gets tired of being a lawyer but she really loves what she does so it’s not something she would want to stop. Besides, this was her grandfather’s dream for her and she didn’t want to disappoint him.

            Taeyeon wasn’t rich. She came from a middle class family and she grew up with her grandparents because her parents abandoned her when she was little. She also had a nanny which she has had since she was a little kid.

            By the time she was in college, her grandpa has used a big part of his money for them to sustain their daily needs. Her grandmother was a housewife. It’s a good thing that her grandpa receives money from the government; it’s what they called “pension”. She worked as a writer and as an editor when she was about to graduate and she earned enough money to go to law school. She met her boss, Jessica, at the graduation and Jessica knew she had potential so she hired her at the law firm.

            “Sunny, tell the driver to get ready.” She instructs.

            “Okay boss, got it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

            “Yah! Pickpocket!”

            “!”

            Tiffany ran. She ran the fastest she could even if she knew she wasn’t capable. But hey, who doesn’t run like an athlete at times like this? She knew she should have practiced more, she didn’t know how to pick pockets yet she decided that she should go and give it a try. She was panting but the thought of her child in the hospital was giving her unbelievable strength.

            “Yah! Stop!”

            She gasps as she sees the man she stole from almost near her. He could nearly grab her hand but Tiffany can’t risk it. She gathered all the strength she had and ran faster. Luckily, there was an alley and the man was a little far away from her now.

            She stops then turns left on the alley. She hid beside the trashcan then gathered her breath and self together. That was the longest and fastest chase she’s ever had. She wipes the sweat on her forehead then smiles when she saw the wallet on her hand.

            “I hope this guy’s got it big!”

            However she was disappointed to see nothing but a little moth come out of the wallet. There was only a driver’s license and some American pennies. She’s in Korea, how the hell would she use these pennies here!

            She face palms herself as her face contorts in annoyance and disappointment. She regrets robbing the man. Now she’s got nothing but a case of robbery.

            “Aigoo.”

            She was close to giving up until she saw a shiny black car across the street.  Out came a woman in white blouse, pencil skirt and white high heels. She wasn’t wearing any jewelry but she was holding a fat- wallet in her left hand.

            Tiffany’s face lights up at the sight. She’s sure she’s going to hit the jackpot if she gets the wallet.

            She fixes herself, wipes the sweat away and makes sure that her breath doesn’t stink. She also pushed her s a little higher, just enough to see her cleavage. She was going to seduce the driver of the woman.

            “Showtime.”

~~~~~~~~~~

            Taeyeon waits outside the door of the man she wants to talk to. She has been knocking twice and she isn’t going to knock thrice. She glances at her watch then shakes her head. She hated waiting, if there was something she won’t do, it was to wait, even if it costs her life but unfortunately, this will cost her job and she values her job.

            “Mr. Yoo! Please open the door, I got to talk to you.” She shouts.

            She rolls her eyes when she heard the door click. She enters and sees the man she needs to talk to pouring scotch on two glasses. She doesn’t drink during work hours, it’s very unprofessional, she thinks.

            “A drink for the lovely lady?” Mr. Yoo cooes.

            Taeyeon was disgusted in her mind but she kept her cool. She respectfully shakes her head then pushes the glass away from her.

            “I am not here to drink with you Mr. Yoo.” She smiles, and it was like she was a different person. The sassy lawyer from Jung and Jung was there, speaking to the man she wants to close.

            She throws a file on the floor which slides and hits Mr. Yoo’s feet.

            “Mr. Lee wants to buy the building for 375,000 US dollars.” She smirks.

            “Tell the man I ain’t selling it, kid.” Mr. Yoo responds with a slight raise in his voice.

            Taeyeon’s ears twitched at the sound of “kid”. She hated being called a kid, she looked like one but she didn’t think like one. She is very mature, maturity hit her a little earlier in fact. She walks to the table where the scotch was when she saw Mr. Yoo’s glass was empty.

            “I heard that you are involved with a drug syndicate. It would be a shame if Mr. Lee presses charges against you for taking all of his money when he invested in your so called “real-estate” business, don’t you think?”

            Mr. Yoo freezes, with his eyes wide open while his back faces Taeyeon.

            The woman gets a nut from the bowl then tosses it into .

            “Mr. Lee is giving you a way out. It’s a win-win situation, don’t you think?” she chuckles again then grabs the glass of scotch, “You get your money and you don’t have to spend your life behind bars and Mr. Lee gets the building then earns more money.”

            “H-how did you know-“

            “I’m giving you twenty-four hours to think, Mr. Yoo. In twenty-four hours, it’s either you get rich or you end up behind bars.”

            Taeyeon knew she got him. She always gets them. She tosses another nut into then walks to Mr. Yoo who was still frozen in spot.

            “It was nice to see you, Mr. Yoo. Have another glass of scotch.” Then she winks.

            Mr. Yoo watches as Taeyeon exits the door. He knew he had to make a decision and he certainly wouldn’t want to be in jail.

~~~~~~~~~~

            Taeyeon frowns when she sees a girl flirting with her driver. She didn’t want to waste time, there was too much work to do at the firm and she couldn’t wait to hear Mr. Yoo’s voice saying that he wants to get sell the building already.

            She goes down from the stairs then takes a greater look at Tiffany.

            “Hey, would you please, stay away from the car? I’m in a hurry.” She says.

            Tiffany gapes at her. She is rude. No one’s every spoken that way to her, she was pretty and gorgeous! Everyone was head over heels for her despite her being a pickpocket. She walks closer to Taeyeon then squints her eyes,

            “How dare you raise your voice at me?” she says, her hands on her waists.

            Taeyeon was taken aback. The girl was certainly fierce, she was the kind of woman who would get drunk at night then goes on to start a catfight but again, all women are like that to Taeyeon.

            “Just get out of the way.” She grabs Tiffany’s shoulders then shoves her away from the car. Taeyeon made sure that Tiffany doesn’t fall on her though. She was still gentle even if she shoves women a lot.

            She enters the car then watches as Tiffany shakes her head in disbelief.

            “Let’s go.” She says as she taps the driver’s shoulders

“Ms. Kim, we need to stop for gasoline.” The driver uttered.

            Taeyeon nods while she was looking at her phone.

            The car stops at the nearest gas station and Taeyeon looks out the window because phones aren’t allowed in the gas station. She sighs, she sees the gasoline boy return the hose to its place so she goes on to grab her wallet from her skirt.

            Her eyes widen, it wasn’t on her skirt.

            “Well, . Where is my wallet.”

            “John, did you see my wallet?” she asks the driver.

            “You were holding it before you went inside the building Ms.”

            “Aigoo, the girl took it!”

            That, she was certain.