II.

Heretofore

*Open this playlist in a new tab: Heretofore (Before Now) Playlist


A week after their ballet recital, Eunhae attended her ballet class. The afternoon sun was sending streaks of light throughout the horizon when she dropped herself from the bus and glanced at the words imprinted just above the building's portico: La Grazia School of Ballet.

The school's establishment, built during the year of 1995, was plain and simple; with two floors and wide glass windows complimented with lavenders planted on its sills. Its bricked walls were slightly weathered along with the logo that contained a drawing of a ballerina.

La Grazia was one of the three independent ballet schools in the small town of Eunhye, where Eunhae's family moved during the summer of 2001—two years ago.

"Good afternoon," miss Mina, who's at the front desk, greeted. "How’s your school break so far, Eunhae?”

"Wonderful! I welcomed summer with open arms, miss M."

"That's good to hear, dear."

"Absolutely!"

The old one chuckled at the girl's reply. "Well then, I do hope that you’ll enjoy this year’s summer."

"Yeah I think I will, considering the fact that I’m taking summer classes here again.”

"Of course," miss Mina smiled as she handed the girl her locker’s key.

"Well, I gotta change. See you later, miss." Replied Eunhae and bowed before proceeding to the locker room.

 

<:>

 

Just like how iridescent bubbles pop in a short span of time, her thoughts about the stranger she met a week ago had already faded; yet it resurfaced when she got out of the building that day.

Their four hours of practice had just finished and Eunhae decided to wait for her friends outside as they changed.

She was securing the lock of her round handbag when she bumped into someone, causing her to drop her bag.

"Sorry,"

The both of them bent down and when the man was just about to hand her bag, they both looked surprised.

It was the stranger once again—the one with ebony hair and hazel eyes; the one who sneaked at the town's theater's back stage during their recital; the one who gave her a flower; and the one who seemed so outspoken.

"It's you." He said, followed by his certain grin. Relief was evident in his tone.

"Oh," she blinked, "hey,"

"Ms. Lee Eunhae, according to your reply, I somehow depicted that you remember me, perhaps?"

The both of them stood up and as Eunhae straightened her knee length pleated skirt, she tried to laugh despite her anxious thoughts. "Yes, I remember you. It's surprising to see you here."

"Well, I'm glad that the stars aligned themselves for me today."

"Pardon?"

"Allow me to explain, Lee Eunhae." He cleared his throat. "I've been looking for this school in this small town of ours for quiet a while now after I've seen its recital at the theater. Then yesterday, I drove pass here so I came back today to check inside, and thankfully, I bumped into you."

As she tried to take in his explanation, Eunhae gave him a questioning look. "You're looking for La Grazia? Why?"

"To see you of course," He said with so much assurance as if it’s the easiest question he’s been asked to answer.

Hearing his barefaced reply, Eunhae snorted in disbelief. "Me?"

"Yes, you."

"Why would you want to see me?"

"Nothing, just to see you."

"Well that doesn't make any sense."

The boy chuckled at her words then sighed; his gaze constant towards her. "Lee Eunhae, last week, you know I was in awe of you. And the end of the program doesn’t mean that my admiration towards you ended too."

Eunhae cleared . "Well I uh—"

"There you have it, the reason why I'm here."

"Huh?"

"I wanted to see you because you're beautiful, and I admire you."

Eunhae laughed at his brazen statement, feeling the sudden rush of blood in her cheeks. She wasn't used in hearing this kind of compliment especially from a stranger who she finds gorgeous and who always pops in front of her all of a sudden. "You're ridiculous."

The both of them chuckled at her statement as the door opened, revealing Eunhae's two friends in their casual clothes.

They were laughing at their group conversation when they stopped on their tracks upon seeing an unfamiliar man with Eunhae.

"Oh, hello." Jiyeon, one of her friends, greeted.

The boy nodded with a smile. “Good afternoon.”

"We gotta go," Eunhae cut as she suddenly laced her arm on Suzy's, trying to escape their conversation.

"Alright, again, it's nice to see you."

"Yeah, sure," The girl replied nonchalantly as she pulled Suzy away from him.

"But aren't you two still talking?" Suzy asked, then felt Eunhae's grip tightened.

"We're done, Suzy. Let's go, we're in a hurry."

"Why are we in a hurry?" Jiyeon chuckled.

"Enough with the questions. Let's go."

The three girls walked towards the right direction of the sidewalk led by Eunhye, who's trying her best to ignore the man's presence.

"Wait!" He shouted, causing them to turn their heads.

"Thank you, Lee Eunhae."

"For what?"

"For remembering me." He grinned. "It made my day."

Once again, he gave a salute before running towards the direction opposite to theirs.

When he was finally nowhere in sight, Suzy and Jiyeon looked at each other then laughed.

"Shut up, both of you."

"What? You two look lovely!"

"Whatever Jiyeo—"

"Wait a second," Suzy snapped, "isn't he the one we'd seen at the backstage?"

"Well uhm…yes. It's him."

"I knew it! Ha!"

"Oh dear, a fan of yours, perhaps?"

"What? Of course not, Jiyeon!"

"He's not her fan." Suzy said as a she raised an eyebrow. "He's her admirer."

Hearing her friend's statement, Eunhae frowned. "He isnt!"

"Lover, then?"

"Suzy!"

Her friend chuckled. "Then why is he here?"

"I don't know." Eunhae said, shrugging away the reason he told her a while ago. "To sign up for ballet I guess."

Suzy laughed at her friend's answer. "A danseur? Really?"

"Honey, if you're lying, you're obviously failing right now."

"You two are frustrating." Eunhae rolled her eyes and walked ahead of them, feeling the whisper of summer wind.

Suzy and Jiyeon shared gazes and tried to suppress their laughter before approaching their friend whose cheeks were crimson red.

"Sorry," Jiyeon said, placing her arm on Eunhae's shoulders. "But you know, he's a cute guy."

"I know right! Ha!" Suzy nodded. "Did you see his eyes?"

"Yes!"

Suzy clapped her hands and looked at Eunhae with pride. "Well my friend, lucky you. You got yourself a handsome admirer."

“He’s not my admirer.”

“Yeah yeah, whatever you say.”


"I confess I still get scared sometimes, but perfect love comes rushing in. And all the lies that screamed inside go silent the moment You begin." --Steffany Gretzinger