XIV.

Heretofore

During the days when Chanyeol was confined at the hospital, Eunhae visited frequently. She would bring her notes and books to review there while taking care of Chanyeol. Mrs. Lee couldn't find a reason to protest so she let her daughter be, and it greatly wondered her to see how strong her child was—to be able to manage her studies despite the obstacles in her life.

Whenever Eunhae gets to the hospital from school, she would bring paperbacks for Chanyeol to read while she would settle herself at the round table located at the corner of the room to study.

 

Chanyeol was reading a book entitled "Life of Pi" when after a while, he found himself staring at Eunhae. Actually, he always does.

She was intently taking some notes while a book was opened beside her arm. Then, after some time, he settled his attention again on the paperback he was holding while a crooked smile was plastered on his face.

Eunhae wasn't aware that as days pass by, the boy, who's a few steps away from her, and who keeps on glancing at her, is falling in love with her more and more.

It was during that day when the both of them took a nap. Eunhae laid herself beside Chanyeol and quickly dozed off after reviewing for two hours. Chanyeol, on the other hand, watched her as she slowly drifted off to sleep. He smiled at the sight of her lashes and how her lips were parted as she slept.

What Chanyeol admired the most was how he could feel her steady breaths; because to be so near with the girl he adores gave him a sense of closeness and sanity.

Then, slowly, he kissed her forehead.

 

~:~

 

It was a cold Friday evening when Eunhae was searching for blankets at her closet since her mother permitted her to spend the night at the hospital.

After packing her bag, she stared at the shelf of her room, deciding the next book that she will let Chanyeol read.

As she decided, she checked the few books that Chanyeol already finished.

Before she could even scan them, she stopped upon noticing some scribbled words on the first page.

 

My dearest Eunhae,

This is a haiku for you.

You look beautiful.

 

Surprised at what she had just read, Eunhae opened the books that Chanyeol finished. Just as she thought, there were also strings of words on them written by him.

 

The autumn wind just blew a while ago,

So I caught a scent of yours which reminded me of flowers.

Although the trees are raining leaves today,

You are blooming today.

You're my spring.

 

You are smiling right now as you read a poem of John Keats.

I am smiling too, because of you.

 

You are being kissed by the rays of sun right now.

And I'm having a hard time to finish this book because I keep on looking at you.

 

Then, she opened the last book that he had read.

 

The mole on your index finger looks adorable.

The way how your eyes peek through your bangs is cute too.

Eunhae, I love everything about you.

 

An unrelenting smile was plastered on her lips as she put them back in her shelf. She never thought that he would notice little things about her that she herself doesn't put attention to.

 

~:~

 

As soon as Eunhae walked inside his room, she was greeted by Chanyeol's parents.

"Good evening," she smiled and saw Chanyeol winked at her.

"Eunhae, you're here." Mrs. Park smiled. "Have you already eaten?"

"Yes, I did."

"Alright then," the older one smiled. "Jinho and I will just go back at the house to pick some things."

"Okay, aunt Minji."

"We'll be here in an hour." Mrs. Park said. "If you're thirsty, I made some Lemonade. The container's right there."

Seeing the large blue bottle on the table, Eunhae nodded. "Alright, thank you."

"See you later," Mr. Park said after giving his son a kiss on his forehead.

"Hey," Eunhae greeted Chanyeol as soon as the two left.

"Hey," The boy sat on his bed, feeling much better. He watched as Eunhae settled her bag on the table.

"So I just realized that you have left some notes on my paperbacks."

Hearing her statement, Chanyeol chuckled. "It took you a while to realize."

"And I don't know if I'll be mad or flattered because of what you did. You scribbled sweet words on the front pages of my favorite books!”

"I'm sorry."

Eunhae giggled. "Don't be. I actually loved it."

"You did?"

"Of course," she smiled and sat beside him.

Chanyeol gave his familiar grin which always amazes Eunhae because even though things have gotten complicated recently, he still manages to smile with so much jubilance.

"Look," the boy said as he pointed at the radio placed on the side table. "I requested dad to bring this here."

"A radio? What for?"

"Wait," Chanyeol stood up. Eunhae was about to guide him yet he motioned her to stop since he was sure that he still has some strength.

Eunhae watched at how Chanyeol checked the cassette holder and the radio.

Not long after, when a sound was finally heard, Eunhae's lips slowly curled up into a smile.

Because the song that was being played was 'Let it be me'.

Then, Chanyeol looked at her and tried to bow. "May I have this dance, Ms. Lee Eunhae?"

Seeing the cheerfulness in his eyes, Eunhae chuckled. "Really, Chanyeol? You're asking me to dance?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "I still remember the steps you told me when we first danced."

Heaving a laugh, Eunhae reached for his hand and when they finally faced each other, they smiled.

Then, they swayed according to the song's slow tempo.

"So never leave me lonely," Chanyeol sang along as a gorgeous smile was plastered on his face. "Tell me you love me only.

"And that you’ll always," Eunhae sang, letting her stare bear into his beautiful eyes. "Let it be me."

"Eunhae?"

"Hm?"

"Could you do me a favor?"

"Of course,"

"Look, I know that…I don't have much time left." He whispered. "But in the remaining days, could you stay beside me and live those numbered days to the fullest?"

Hearing his blatant question, Eunhae smiled. "Of course I will. Let's make every moment count."

As the two of them danced, sane with each other's presence, Eunhae rested her head on his chest sideways and listened to his heartbeat.

 

~:~

 

After weeks of being confined at the hospital, Chanyeol finally came back home, receiving a welcome back party from his family’s relatives along with the Lees.

Most days, Eunhae would come by at his house to bond with Chanyeol. Lately, he preferred to stay indoors as much as possible, because he was becoming physically weak.

It was during the time when autumn had finally taken on the spotlight and trees started to let go of its leaves, letting them blanket the dry ground.

Eunhae walked inside and saw Chanyeol settled on the stool in front of his piano.

"Hey," she greeted and gave him a kiss on his head. "It's getting chilly outside."

"Yeah," Chanyeol nodded and averted his gaze to the window, noticing that the trees at their street have now changed their color.

"Are you familiar with Heraclitus?"

"The philosopher?"

The boy nodded.

"No man has ever stepped on the same river twice. For it's not the same river, and he's not the same man."

Hearing Heraclitus' famous quote, Chanyeol smiled. "I love his argument about how inevitable change is."

"Actually, me too," Eunhae smiled, recalling the time when it was discussed in her school. "I agree that change is constant."

"Yeah, I mean, just look at the seasons. They change."

"That's why there's nothing in this world that will be able to give us an eternal security." Eunhae replied as she smiled, gazing at the autumn confetti outside.

"Do you know the other constant thing?"

"What?"

"Love," Chanyeol closed his eyes. "Love never fails."

Then, Mrs. Park emerged from the door. Her familiar gentle smile was plastered on her face.

"Mom," Chanyeol said, "Come here, let's play."

"Yes! Please!" Eunhae stood up. "I love it when the both of you play."

Without a hint of hesitation, Mrs. Park sat beside her son while the girl stood beside the piano. Her lips were curled up into an excited grin.

Chanyeol settled his fingers on the lower keys while his mom's were on the higher keys. Then, not a minute after, they started to play, creating a melodious sound that roamed around the room, leading each of them into a comforting abyss.

Eunhae loved that moment.

It's as if the three of them were somewhere else, without the ness of Chanyeol's numbered days.

 

Eunhae helped Mrs. Park baked some biscuits for snacks while Chanyeol enjoyed his time with his dad by watching the television.

"Is this the right amount?" The girl asked, showing Mrs. Park a cup of sugar.

"Exactly," Mrs. Park smiled. "Thanks, Eunhae."

As they molded the dough, Eunhae caught sight of the canvas nailed on the kitchen's door that led to their backyard.

It was a painting of trees.

"Did Chanyeol make that?"

"Hm? The painting?"

Eunhae nodded.

As Mrs. Park rolled the dough between her palms, a smile of familiarity graced her lips. "Yes, he made that a year ago."

"He does love art..." Eunhae chuckled.

"Absolutely," Mrs. Park smiled, making the wrinkles beside her eyes visible. "Ever since he was a kid, he loved to draw and his favorite gift was a sketch pad."

"Really?"

"Mm-hmm. He would run around in circles and wave his sketch pad."

Eunhae imagined Chanyeol when he was a kid and it made her giggle.

Then, Mrs. Park sighed. "I miss him paint."

The girl quieted herself and looked down. Ever since she met him, she's never seen him sit on the stool in front of his easel and paint. And looking at his condition now, it seemed like he won't paint anymore.

Mrs. Park took a deep breath and gave the girl a smile. "Take a rest, dear. I'll put this in the oven now."

"Alright, auntie."

Just before Eunhae could step into the living room, she saw Chanyeol laughing with his dad. She watched at how bright and cheerful he was along with Mr. Park, and it pained her to imagine what this house would be like without Chanyeol.

Sensing the girl's presence, Chanyeol glanced at her along with his grin. "Eunhae, come here. Watch with us."

Shoving her thoughts away, Eunhae smiled and walked towards them. She reminded herself that she won't worry herself of tomorrow or the days ahead. Rather, she would live for today and make every moment count.