VII.

Heretofore

*Open this playlist in a new tab: Heretofore (Before Now) Playlist


It was a sunny Sunday afternoon when Eunhae received a call from Chanyeol on their telephone. She had just awoken from her nap when her mother went to her room to hand her the landline.

"Dear?"

"Hey, mom." The girl greeted with her raspy voice.

"A friend of yours," Mrs. Lee said which made Eunhae give her a questioning look as she reached out for the telephone.

"Hello?"

"Lee Eunhae, good afternoon."

Hearing his familiar silvery voice, Eunhae sat on her bed, forgetting her how dizzy she was. "Chanyeol? He—Hello!"

A chuckle was heard from the other line. "You seem surprised."

Mrs. Lee gestured Eunhae to come down for lunch after the call while Eunhae nodded in return as she watched her mother went out of her room.

"Oh, it's just that, it's unusual for you to call at this kind of day. So what made you call?"

"Right, uh, I'm just gonna ask you if you're free tomorrow?"

"For what?"

"Well, there's this outreach program this Saturday…and I'm planning to invite you."

"Really?"

"Yeah, well, my family and I always join in this program. I think you're gonna love it."

"Tomorrow, eh?" Eunhae asked, glancing at the calendar on her wall. "Count me in."

"Great! I'll pick you up at your house."

"Oh, it's okay. I'll just meet you at the subdivision's gate."

“You sure?”

“Yup,”

"Alright, I'll see you there around 1pm."

"Got it,"

"Eunhae?"

"Yes?"

"See you,"

"See you too, Chanyeol."

 

~:~

 

Just as he said, they met around 1o'clock, when the sun was at its brightest and the sky was at its bluest.

"So where are we going?"

"A place filled with beautiful smiles,"

Eunhae furrowed her brow. "What?"

"You'll see later." Chanyeol chuckled. "But first, we'll drop by at my house to pick up some boxes and transfer ourselves to our family's truck."

When they arrived, a white pick up truck was parked in front of the gate.

"Is this your house?" Eunhae asked when she went out.

It was the first time she saw his abode. From outside the white picket fence, Eunhae could clearly see their healthy lawn decorated with varied Marigolds that outlined the stoned path that leads to his house.

"Yeah,"

Right after his reply, a woman emerged from the door, carrying a large brown box.

"Hey mom," The boy greeted as he opened the small gate to help her. "Eunhae's here."

"Good afternoon, ma'am." She bowed as soon as the two got out.

"Hello, dear." The older woman greeted her along with a warm embrace which somehow surprised Eunhae.

"So you're Eunhae," When they finally parted, she gently rubbed Eunhae's arms. "My son's right. You're beautiful."

"O-oh, thank you, ma'am."

"Oh please, no need for formalities. I’m Minji. And you can call me your auntie."

Seeing the warm welcoming smile on her face, Eunhae smiled. “Alright then, auntie.”

Hearing her reply, Mrs. Park gave her a wink.

"Ladies," Chanyeol clapped as he went down from the truck. "That's enough."

Eunhae helped Chanyeol transfer the boxes that were at their lawn to the back of the truck. As they did so, some people arrived.

"Who are they?"

"Oh, them, well, they're close friends of my family. They're also a part of the organization that holds the outreach program."

"I see,"

"Alright, folks. It's time to go!" A tall man cheered from the portico of the house, wearing jeans and plaid polo.

"That's my dad."

Eunhae laughed. "You actually look like him!"

"Yeah, I get that comment a lot."

 

When everything had already been fixed, Eunhae and Chanyeol settled themselves at the back of the truck along with other volunteers of the program while his parents were inside.

"You alright there?" Chanyeol asked. He was seated beside Eunhae who was supporting some of the boxes.

"Absolutely," she replied. "So where are we going?"

"Well, I don't want to break it to you but since your curiosity is too overwhelming," Chanyeol said, "we're going at an orphanage."

"Really?" Eunhae widened her eyes. Chanyeol could clearly see the sudden glint of excitement in her eyes. "That's amazing!”

"Well, it's in the other town so it'll take us an hour to get there. So for the meantime, bask in nature's beauty."

Eunhae chuckled and averted her gaze to the houses they pass by. The warm sun sparkled gloriously above as the wind gushed, causing the girl to tie up her hair into a bun.

 

~:~

 

When they arrive, there were other trucks as well in front of the gate which made Eunhae realize that there were indeed a lot of volunteers.

"We're here!" Chanyeol jumped out of the truck and held out his hand to accompany Eunhae.

The orphanage has a wide lot; with playground and stone tables that served as their activity area.

Some children that were playing stopped and scampered towards them with shouts of joy, excited to reveal the things inside the boxes.

"Chanyeol!" A little girl, with blonde curly locks, ran towards Chanyeol and wrapped her delicate arms around his leg.

"Woah there, little one!" He chuckled and put down the box that he was holding to carry the girl on his arms.

Eunhae smiled at the sight before proceeding inside the house to help the others organize.

 

After a while, they started distributing bags of treats to the children. An unwavering smile was plastered on Eunhae's face as she helped the others; she couldn't help herself but be overwhelmed with joy every time she sees the buoyancy in the eyes of every child whenever they receive one. It's as if they consider themselves luckier than someone who won a lottery.

As the elders prepared the food, Eunhae went out to distribute bags for the other children that were too occupied in playing at the playground.

"Hello," She greeted at a group of three girls that were seated on the grassy ground with their stuffed toys.

"Here, it's for you." Eunhae said and caught the sparkle in their eyes as they get each. "What's your name?"

"Hyorin,"

"I'm Yoona,"

"Hwayeong,"

"Such beautiful names," Eunhae remarked as she sat on the small metal swing behind her.

"How about you? What's your name?" Yoona asked with her gentle tiny voice.

"I'm Eunhae."

"Oh, hello unnie Eunhae!" They chirped.

Eunhae watched happily as the girls rummaged through the plastic bag and enjoyed everything they get.

"Can we braid your hair?" Hyorin suddenly asked.

"Oh, sure," Eunhae replied and removed her ponytail.

Seeing her long hair, the girls stood up in anticipation and ran behind Eunhae, running their fingers through her hair.

"You have pretty hair." Hwayeong chirped as she started to braid.

Eunhae chuckled as she felt their delicate fingers and suddenly caught Chanyeol looking at her with his familiar grin. He was seated on one of the table at the activity area; a black guitar was on his lap. Some children circled around him, singing along as he led them. The both of them shared gazes and seeing how each of them was surrounded by kids, they laughed.

"It's finished!" The three girls cheered after tying the end of her braided her with a ribbon.

Eunhae touched the back of her head and gasped in awe. "Wow, you girls are so good."

After their bond, the three ran towards the activity area where Chanyeol was singing along with them as he strummed the guitar.

Eunhae followed and stood behind the children seated on the grassy ground. They were clapping their hands according to the song's tempo while Eunhae joined, smiling at their participation.

"Alright, chorus!" Chanyeol cheered and strummed the guitar faster.

Seeing the buoyancy of the children along with Chanyeol, Eunhae smiled. They were all so joyful and it seems like in everything they do—the way they clapped and sang along, the way how Chanyeol effortlessly strum the strings, the way they laugh—oozes with such glee that causes others to plaster a smile.

Then, Eunhae transferred her gaze to Chanyeol. His ebony hair shone beneath the glorious sun and his eyes, a collision of shades of brown, sparkled even more because of the sunlight.

Looking back at what happened a month ago, and how she got to know Chanyeol more, Eunhae unknowingly smiled. It baffles her to encounter such man—someone who's full of enthusiasm each passing day; someone who speaks about life as if there's more to it than numbered days.

Just before Eunhae could get lost in her trance, someone tapped her shoulder, surprising Eunhae. It was Chanyeol's mom. A cheery smile was on her face.

"We have already finished preparing the snacks, dear."

"Oh, thank you."

"Go inside, some volunteers are already there."

"Alright," Eunhae politely replied with a smile.

As Eunhae proceeded towards the house, the older woman called Chanyeol and the children to come inside.

Circled around the large table, the volunteers, elders, and the children stood and bowed their heads in gratitude as Mr. Park, Chanyeol's father, led the prayer.

"You should try this Pecan pie." Mrs. Park informed Eunhae. "I made it."

The older one gave Eunhae a wink which made her chuckle. "Alright, auntie. I'm sure this is absolutely good."

"Yes! You'll never be disappointed!"

Eunhae ate at the activity area along with some volunteers and kids which gave her a chance to know them more and hear their stories.

 

After a while, when Eunhae finished washing the dishes with the others, she walked through the door, scanning the room as if looking for someone.

After realizing that Chanyeol was neither outside nor the living room, she approached the elder who was fixing flowers on a vase.

"Ma'am Jinri?"

"Yes, Eunhae?"

"Have you seen Chanyeol?"

"Chanyeol? Hm, I'm not sure."

The older one squinted her eyes and looked through the window but hearing the sound of a piano playing, she smiled. "I know where he is. He's upstairs."

"Oh, alright. Thank you." Eunhae politely bowed as she made her exit and walked towards the wooden stairs.

The more she got higher, the more the sound became vivid.

Furrowing her brow, she saw Chanyeol seated on a stool in front of the piano while some kids were playing on the carpeted floor.

"Hi, unnie!" Himchan, one of the children that she had talked with, greeted as he ran towards her to wrap his slender arms around her.

"Hello, Himchan." She said as she ruffled his hair.

Chanyeol stopped upon hearing them and looked back. Seeing Eunhae, he grinned. "Hello, Eunhae."

Eunhae approached him when Himchan went back to his playmates. There was a look of awe on her face.

"Wow, so you play the piano." She remarked. "I've been hearing it ever since I was washing the dishes a while ago. I never thought that it was you."

"Well, now you know." He winked. "So…how's your stay here so far?"

"Chanyeol, words cannot express how glad I am to be here."

"That's good to hear."

"Almost everybody here knows you."

"Oh, that," he chuckled. "It's just that we often visit here. My parents are one of the main sponsors of this orphanage."

"I see." Eunhae nodded. "Also, the kids love you. I mean, you can see it in their faces whenever they spend time with you."

Hearing her statement, Chanyeol smiled. "Let's just say that I've considered them as my sisters and brothers."

They both looked through the window and stared at the children that were playing at the playground.

"They're wonderful, aren't they?"

"Absolutely,"

Heaving a sigh of contentment, Chanyeol patted the space beside him on the stool.

"Sit here, I'll play you a song."

"Okay," She smiled and sat beside Chanyeol.

"I'm just a beginner though so don't expect much."

Eunhae chuckled. "Alright, go on."

Then, he started. Eunhae watched as his fingers travelled across the keys of ivory white and smaller keys of charcoal black, creating a string of melodic sounds that somehow lulled her into a comforting abyss.

She was swaying her head according to the tempo when Chanyeol hit an undesired key which made him wince.

"Geez, I always mess up at this part."

Eunhae chuckled as she witnessed him fumbling through different sharps and scales to find the right key.

"It's D sharp, honey."

The both of them spun around and saw Mrs. Park. A smile was plastered on her face.

"Right!" Chanyeol snapped his fingers. "I always forget that, mom."

"I know," she patted his shoulder and chuckled. “You always do.”

"You play the piano too, aunt Minji?" Eunhae asked.

"Yes, dear." She winked. "I'm actually the one who taught Chanyeol."

"Really? Wow," Eunhae remarked. "That's amazing."

"Yeah, she's a virtuoso." Chanyeol said and looked at his mom with pride in his eyes.

Mrs. Park laughed along with her motherly voice. "I'll play some other time. I promise you, Eunhae. For now, I have to deliver these glasses of juice to the elders."

As she proceeded to the hallway, the two averted their attention once again outside through the window.

Seeing the children play, Eunhae smiled. "They're so happy."

"Indeed," Chanyeol nodded. "I told you, this place is filled with beautiful smiles."

"It's amazing, isn't it?"

"Hm?"

"I mean, this orphanage is full of children with stories. Stories of despair, pain, and sorrows." Eunhae explained. "Yet I feel like this house is rather bursting with hope; filled with strong young warriors."

"You're right." He agreed. "They are people who stood up despite life's storms. Perhaps, that's what makes them beautiful."

Eunhae sniffed, realizing that tears had flooded her eyes which surprised Chanyeol.

"H—hey,"

"I'm okay. I'm just in awe."

Realizing that he didn't bring any tissue or handkerchief, Chanyeol offered the hem of his shirt.

Eunhae chuckled at his gesture and wiped away her tears with her palms instead.

Seeing how flushed her face was, Chanyeol smiled. "That's why."

"Pardon?"

"I mean, that's why you deserve to be called by your full name. You're remarkable."

Eunhae rolled her eyes and nudged his shoulders. "Whatever, Chanyeol."

The boy chuckled and transferred himself on the wooden floor. Then, he sighed. "I love moments like this."

"What do you mean?"

"Like this. Everything feels so beautiful."

A smile plastered itself once again on Eunhae's face. She surely finds it interesting whenever Chanyeol talks about beauty.

"It seems like I'm on an adventure," he laughed, "as if I'm searching for beautiful things."

"I think that is quiet true."

"Perhaps," he replied, "they say that the world is throbbing with intangible treasures and beautiful souls. So yeah, I guess I’m in search for them."

 

~:~

 

Half of the sun had already hid itself when the event finished. A little girl, with short brown hair, was on Eunhae's arms as she took her steps towards the gate.

"I'm gonna miss you." The girl mumbled. Sadness was evident on her tone.

"Me too, Daisy. I'm gonna miss you so much." Eunhae said as she let go of her. "But don't worry, I'll come back."

Hearing her statement, Daisy's eyes sparkled. "You will?"

"Of course!"

"Promise?"

Eunhae bent down to meet the girl's height and interlaced her pinky with hers. "Promise,"

"I'm proud of you, little fighter." Eunhae said as she cupped her face and stared at her big round eyes. "Stay strong, alright?"

"I will, unni. Daddy won't abandon me."

Courage was defined in each word that she professed which made Eunhae smile. "Alright, I'll see you soon, Daisy."

The little girl abruptly waved her dainty hands as she watched her Eunhae climbed at the back of the pick up truck.

After countless waves and cheers, the vehicle roared to life and not a minute after, a wide distance was already between Ji Eun and the children she had met that day.

"You're fond of her, aren't you?" Chanyeol, seated beside Eunhae, asked. "Daisy, I mean."

"Yeah, I guess so." She smiled.

"You've been talking with her for hours and just by looking at Daisy's eyes, she had grown fond of you already."

"I don't know. I admire her so much, maybe because despite the absence of her parents, she still looks at life wonderfully."

"Indeed. Daisy's a strong girl. A warrior, to be exact."

"And she also calls God her Daddy. She talked about Him with so much assurance...with so much faith."

"Wow," Chanyeol smiled. "No wonder why she's strong."

"Indeed,"

"By the way, the ride will be a long way home once again so we'll reach Eunhye at dark. Since we're gonna pass by your village, dad's gonna drop us at the entrance then I'll walk you home."

"Alright, but how about you? How're you gonna return to your house?"

"It's okay. I'll just take a bus."

"You really won't mind at all?"

"Absolutely,"

"Alright then," Eunhae smiled, "Thank you."

Chanyeol gave her a wink along with his familiar grin then transferred to the other side across Eunhae.

 

The sky was already carpeted by a black veil and a cool gentle breeze serenaded them. Eunhae was having random conversations with the other volunteers that were seated beside her, who were part of Chanyeol's family friends.

From a few centimeters across her, Chanyeol watched how Eunhae laughed with the others and how she frequently tucked few strands of her hair that were being brushed by the wind. Beneath the starry night sky, he could see her eyes. It fascinated him to see how she intensely gazed at the person she was talking to and how evident her interest was just by looking at her eyes.

As he studied her, he could feel the rush inside his veins.

He has become fond of that feeling already every time he spends time with her; but tonight, the more he let his gaze bear into her, the wilder his heartbeat turned.

Then, taking a deep breath, Chanyeol fought so hard to suppress the sudden burst of feelings inside him and looked away.

 

~:~

 

When they finally reached the entrance of Eunhae's subdivision, Eunhae bade her farewell to Chanyeol's parents and their family friends, receiving wide smiles from them. She could see from their eyes how grateful they were to have her in this trip.

With a final wave, Eunhae walked away accompanied by Chanyeol.

Beneath the night sky that was bursting with stars, they walked side by side. No words were exchanged between them and the only thing that accompanied them were the sound of their footsteps and the song of crickets from afar.

Taking in the fresh air, Eunhae quickly glanced at Chanyeol then averted her gaze ahead as a smile formed on her lips, unaware that Chanyeol glanced sideways at her, wondering if he ever deserved this moment—to walk beside this beautiful person.

Silence engulfed the two of them as they walked through the quiet street yet they didn't mind, because they found themselves contented with each other's presence despite the absence of words.

When they finally reached her house, Eunhae spoke. "We're here."

He smiled as he fixed his attention on the white house before him. "Your house looks cozy you know."

Eunhae chuckled. “Thank you for today, Chanyeol—really."

"You're welcome."

"So uh," she said. "Thank you also for walking me home."

"It's a pleasure," Chanyeol smiled. "Well then, good night, Lee Eunhae."

"Good night, Park Chanyeol."

Just before they could get lost in each other's stares, Chanyeol looked away. "You should go now. I'll watch you until you reach inside."

"W—wait,"

"Yeah?"

"Are you free on Friday?" She asked. "Well, our ballet school will perform at the town's summer festival…I want you to come."

Hearing her statement, Chanyeol gave her a salute.

"You'll come, right?"

Seeing the excitement in her eyes, Chanyeol smiled. "I will."

"Alright! Then I'll see you soon."

Chanyeol chuckled at her and gestured her to go. After fishing the keys from her bag, Eunhae unlocked the door.

The boy watched how she looked at him one last time before emerging inside.

He stood there for a while, letting his stare bear into the closed door. The image of her looking back at him with her radiant smile kept on running in his mind, causing his heart to beat rapidly.

He then took a deep breath and walked away.

That night, the twinkling little coins from afar were the only witnesses of how he fumbled on his way as he tried to suppress the burst of songs inside his heart.

They also witnessed his tear stained eyes.

 


"My heart beating; my soul breathing; I found my life when I laid it down." --Hillsong United