XV.

Heretofore

November had finally made its way and the trees had now become , letting their dry leaves decorate the streets.

The organization held a program at the orphanage once again and the Parks, as always, registered to join.

It was a week before the outreach program when Eunhae called Chanyeol through the telephone.

"Hello?" It was Mr. Park who answered.

"Hello, Mr. Park? It's Eunhae."

"Oh, hey Eunhae. What made you call?"

"Is Chanyeol there?"

"Yes yes," he replied. "Wait, I'll give him the telephone."

After a minute, his familiar voice was heard and it made Eunhae smile.

"Hey, I have news for you."

"What's it about?"           

"Well, it's about the upcoming outreach program."

"Oh? Why? Is something wrong?"

Eunhae chuckled. "No, no. It's just that I went to La Grazia a while ago and I had a talk with some of my friends there. I uhm, I invited them to join."

"Join the outreach?"

"Yeah,"

"Eunhae, that's wonderful."

"Well, here's the thing. I had a talk with the event organizers and they permitted me to do a special number as entertainment for children."

"What?"

"I mean, I've decided to invite some of my friends in La Grazia to help me and fortunately, they agreed."

"Wait, what do you mean? You're gonna do a special number?"

"Yeah, we'll do ballet. And you, along with your mom, will be in charge of our music. You guys will play the piano."

"Eunhae," Chanyeol said. There was a hint of awe in the tone of his voice. "That's...that's amazing."

"It'll be just a short intermission number. My friends are excited."

"Me too,"

"So uh, you should start practicing now. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Love?"

"Hm?"

"You're amazing." He whispered. "Thank you,"

 

~:~

 

When the day of the outreach program finally approached, Eunhae readied her costume. It was one of her costumes that she had at La Grazia. To Eunhae, it was probably the most exciting outreach program that she had joined since her mother and Inna participated too.

When three of her friends in La Grazia finally arrived at her house, Mrs. Lee readied the car.

"Geez, I'm so excited." Suzy, one of the ballerinas that Eunhae invited, exclaimed when they got inside the vehicle.

Eunhae smiled at their excitement. "I assure you; this will be fun. I know you guys will love it."

"I already love it although I'm not there yet." Jiyeon cheered and earned a laugh from the others.

 

When they finally arrived at the orphanage, Eunhae felt like it was her first time once again. The familiar overflowing joy inside her heart was there and the warmth that she feels every time she sees the wide smiles painted on children's faces.

Her friends, grinning ever since they got there, were helping some of the elders in distributing the boxes. To Eunhae's delight, the children there remembered her as if they've been waiting for her all along.

After settling themselves, Eunhae spotted Chanyeol at the activity area surrounded by some children that she recognized.

"Finally," Chanyeol's eyes brightened. "You're here."

After giving the boy an embrace, she was greeted by the other kids.

As they talked, Eunhae's friends approached them along with their faces painted with smirk.

"Hello, love birds." Suzy greeted and gave a wink.

"Chanyeol? Right?" Jiyeon asked. "The one who constantly visits at La Grazia?"

Chanyeol chuckled. "Yeah, I am he."

"I always knew that you two will end up together." Bora, one of the girls, said.

"Oh, please, enough with that." Eunhae laughed.

"But really," Suzy cut. "Thank you for inviting us here."

"Yeah, the place and everyone around here is wonderful."

"Agree! Seriously, Chanyeol, thank you. It's a privilege for us to do ballet here in this beautiful place."

"Actually, you should thank Eunhae." Chanyeol looked at his girlfriend with pride in his eyes. "It's her idea."

"Aww," Jiyeon gave a cheeky smile and invited her friends to do a group hug while Chanyeol chuckled at their action.

"After everyone has eaten, some volunteers will conduct games." Chanyeol informed. "After that, we'll proceed to our intermission number."

"Alright!" Bora nodded. "For now, we'll bond with some kids!"

Eunhae chuckled at her excitement. "Yeah, that would be great."

"They're obviously enjoying right now." Chanyeol remarked when the both of them were left.

"Yeah," Eunhae replied as her eyes turned into crescent moons. "Who doesn't enjoy here anyway?"

Hearing her statement, Chanyeol smiled and wrapped his arm around her waist, cherishing that simple moment.

"How're you feeling?" Eunhae asked as she gently rubbed his back. "Anything hurts?"

The boy politely shook his head while plastering a grin as if she's a teacher. "None, ma'am. Pain seems to flee away every time you come near me."

Hearing his statement, Eunhae chuckled. "Alright, let's go inside now. They're probably eating already."

Then, the both of them went inside.

 

~:~

 

After a while, when everyone had finished eating and the volunteers had washed the dishes, their small event started, kicking off games that children anticipated.

Eunhae had already changed into her costume along with the other girls who were helping out the elders distribute prizes to each participant.

They transferred the grand piano at the large living room that day, where they will perform. The children, along with the other volunteers, settled themselves on the couches while some on the floor.

When it was time for the intermission number, they made a large clearing at the center of the room while Chanyeol, along with his mom, dwarfed the chair in front of the piano.

Eunhae and the other girls positioned themselves at the center, anticipating their small audience especially the little girls who were amazed at how their tutu skirts bounced as they moved.

Then, when Mrs. Park and Chanyeol finally started to play the piano, they danced.

As their fingers explored different sharps and scales, the ballerinas gracefully moved as they let themselves got wrapped completely by the melodious sound coming from the piano.

Chanyeol would glance at Eunhae from time to time while a proud smile was on his face. Although her back faced him, he was still in awe.

It was such a beautiful moment for Chanyeol—to have a duet with his mom and have Eunhae dance to their music. It's the kind of moment that he wouldn't trade for a thousand elsewhere.

"She's amazing." Mrs. Park whispered.

Hearing his mother's statement, Chanyeol smiled. "She really is."

 

~:~

 

After a week had passed, Chanyeol found himself staring at his room's ceiling after he had awoken from his nap. Although his knees felt weak along with his breathing, he forced himself to stand.

It took him a while to reach the kitchen and when he finally did, he saw Mrs. Park washing the dishes. Her back was facing him.

"Mom," He mumbled weakly.

Hearing her son's voice, she spun around and quickly approached him. "Sweetie, what's the matter? Is everything alright?"

The boy chuckled. "I'm okay, mom."

"Are you sure?"

He nodded.

"What is it then?"

"I would like to ask a favor."

"Anything, sweetie."

"Look, I know it's the fall season and everything around is chilly…but uhm," he pursed his lips. "Can we go to the beach? You know, the one where Aunt Meg's beach house rental is located?"

"Chanyeol, honey, are you sure? I mean, considering how you've been weak lately..."

"I know, mom." He smiled. "But I want to. I mean, spend time outdoors. And we could invite the Lees."

Hearing his explanation, Mrs. Park softened. She knew it had been hard for him to stay in the house for days considering him who enjoys exploring outside. "Alright, I'll try to convince your dad and ask your doctor as well."

The boy smiled at her statement and gave his mother a hug.

 

~:~

 

It was two days later when the Parks went to the beach along with the Lees. It took them two hours to reach their destination and when they finally did, they organized the things that they had brought inside the beach house that they rented overnight.

It was at noon day when they settled themselves in front of the beach. They placed a blanket on the sand for them to sit on while Mr. Park assembled a large beach umbrella to give them a shade.

The sun-kissed beach sparkled gloriously beneath the bright sky as if it had never been conquered by autumn at all.

Settled on the blanket, Chanyeol watched as the waves roared like white horses galloping only to cease when they reached the shore.

Eunhae, along with Inna, ran around as they felt splashes of water in every step they made. Chanyeol laughed to himself as he saw them being chased by the waves.

After a while, Eunghae averted her gaze and saw Chanyeol from afar. When their eyes met, he waved as Eunhae ran towards him.

"Having fun?" He asked as he noticed her feet filled with sand.

Eunhae nodded while a grin was plastered on her face. "You?"

"Yeah," He replied as the girl sat beside him.

Knowing his condition, Eunhae knew that Chanyeol was too weak to swim. Still, she tried to smile and rested her head on his shoulder. "Why here, Chanyeol? Why did you suddenly want to go to the beach?"

"Well, it's just that, I miss being here. My family and I used to stay here for vacation. It's beautiful, right?"

"Absolutely," She murmured.

"Yeah, I could see your enjoyment through your eyes a while ago."

Eunhae chuckled at his statement. "How about you? Are you having fun right now?"

"Of course," He replied. Assurance was evident in his tone. "I enjoy watching you having fun."

Eunhae then removed her head from his shoulders and looked at Chanyeol. A playful smirk was drawn on his face. For a while, they just looked at each other.

Although they don't speak about it, the both of them knew that every time they let themselves get lost in each other's eyes, they somehow find themselves somewhere else where there is only the two of them; away from life’s bustles, and the constant movement of time.

It was an intangible place that only exists at the collision of their gazes—a place only for the two of them.

Then, Eunhae smiled and rested her head on his shoulder once again while Chanyeol kissed her forehead, taking in the scent of seawater on her hair.

They just stayed like that until the blazing glorious sun tucked itself as if being swallowed by the vast ocean.

 

When twilight had already entered and the sky was painted by different shades of purple and pink, they made a barbecue party. Mr. Park grilled the meat on the barbecue stand that they settled outside the beach house while Mrs. Park and Mrs. Lee settled the tables where the ocean was clearly viewed.

Inna was busily attaching a string of light bulbs on the poles near the beach house, contemplating their small family party.

After going back in the house, Mrs. Park went out with a bowl of salad on her hands.

"Almost done?"

"This is the last batch." Mr. Park replied as he fanned the coals. "Go gather the others."

Eunhae and Chanyeol were taking a stroll near the shore, contemplating the beautiful scenery. When they headed back, Mr. Park was almost done.

Eunhae helped out her mother in pouring iced tea on glasses while Chanyeol organized the utensils.

After everything was finished, they settled themselves around the table and prayed.

Stories and laughter were exchanged as they enjoyed their dinner, accompanied by the faint sound of crashing waves from afar and voices of other people who were enjoying at the beach.

Chanyeol went inside the house to get his guitar and when he came back, they jammed. There were moments when he would transfer the guitar to his dad and Mr. Park would play songs from his teenage years while their mothers would sing along with so much familiarity.

As they continued on their barbecue party, Inna started to take random pictures of everyone, capturing rare smiles filled with joy and excitement.

Then, they proceeded on with their desserts.

While the older ones were busily exchanging stories, Chanyeol held Eunhae's hand and led her to the porch of the beach house.

"Stay here," He said. "I'll just get something inside."

"Alright,"

As Eunhae waited for him, she watched her family laughed along with the Parks from the porch. She then closed her eyes and took in the scent of ocean breeze as it caressed her cheeks. Everything felt so calm and Eunhae knew that if she were given a chance to repeat this day, she wouldn't take a minute to agree.

At the sound of the wooden screen door being opened, Eunhae spun around and saw Chanyeol along with his grin while his hands were hidden behind his back.

"What's that?"

Chanyeol stayed quiet for a moment, brewing her curiosity.

"Chanyeol? What is it?"

"Patience, grasshopper." He chuckled then showed her what he was holding. It was a thin sketch pad. "This is for you."

"For me?"

"Yeah,"

After taking hold of it, Eunhae scanned each page and gasped in surprise. All the papers contained a drawing of her.

"Ch—Chanyeol..."

"Those were during the times when I was at the hospital." He smiled as he watched the surprise in her eyes.

Hearing his statement, she knew that he was right. On one page, she saw a drawing of her settled on the table at the corner of Chanyeol's room. It was during the time when she was reviewing.

"Sorry I didn't get the chance to color all of them." He said. "It's just that, I prefer some of them to be black and white."

Eunhae kept on gawking as she scanned each page and saw another drawing of her sleeping. Her arms were folded while her head rested sideward. She wondered when he did it, considering that there was a lot of time when she slept at the hospital.

"Chanyeol, these are beautiful." She whispered as her eyes brimmed with tears. "Thank you..."

"Hey," He murmured as he caressed her cheeks. "Don't cry..."

"It's just that…I never thought that you'd draw me."

"Really, love? Of course I would!" He said between his chuckles. "After all, you're my favorite scenery."

After giving her forehead a kiss, they wrapped their arms around each other.

"So...can we dance?"

"Hm?" She asked as she broke their embrace.

"Well, I forgot to bring the radio, but it's okay. We could just sing our song together while we dance."

"Seriously, Chanyeol. I thought you hate dancing."

"Well yeah," he replied, "but I love it when I do it with you."

After giving a laugh, Eunhae nodded. "Alright,"

Then, after positioning their arms and interlacing their fingers, they swayed.

"I bless the day I found you.” He sang as he rested his forehead on hers. The sound of roaring waves from afar was audible.

Eunhae smiled at the sound of his voice and gazed at his eyes. She loved the way how his height slightly towered above hers.

"I want to stay around you."

Then, Eunhae buried her head on the side of his shoulder. She felt his warm breath on her neck as Chanyeol bent his head, resting his cheeks against her hair.

"And so I beg you,

"Let it be me.

Seeing the two from afar, Inna quickly grabbed her camera and walked towards them.

Then, quietly, she pressed the button, capturing a thousand beautiful feelings of two hearts in one photo.

 

And that was the last time they danced until Chanyeol became too weak to stand and walk.