VI.

Heretofore

*Open this playlist in a new tab: Heretofore (Before Now) Playlist


Before the both of them knew it, a string of an unbreakable bond has tied them. As time went by, Eunhae doesn't just meet Chanyeol on Tuesdays or Fridays anymore. Rather, they would meet often. They would go at the 'Wonder' Book Store which they both admired, at the famous local ice cream shop of the town to compliment the heat of summer, or at the park to just gaze at stars—which is their most favorite.

Summer was finally at its finest when they rode Chanyeol's car on their way to the northern part of Eunhye.

"Where are we going?" Eunhae asked, scanning the streets they pass by.

"My parents and I went to our relatives yesterday. And along the way, I noticed a wonderful spot. So I'm planning to check it out." Chanyeol explained as he gazed intently on the road ahead.

"Alright, I'd also like to see this wonderful spot that you're referring to."

The boy chuckled. "It's lovely. I'm telling you."

"Oh, my school." Eunhae said, looking at the University they passed by.

"College girl, nice." He remarked. "What's your course?"

"I'm currently taking English Studies. You?"

"Nah, I'm being homeschooled."

"Really? Why?"

"Matters," He returned. "My mom's a teacher just so you know."

"Ohh, is she the one teaching you?"

"Yes, she's amazing."

They were finally on a road surrounded by trees sparkling gloriously beneath the warm sun.

"Would it be okay if I open the window?"

"Sure, that would be great."

Right after she slid the window down, they felt a gush of wind. Eunhae stretched out her arm and let the summer breeze collide with her delicate palm.

Seeing Eunhae through his peripheral vision, Chanyeol smiled and opened the radio, letting the music become their lullaby.

 

~:~

 

It took them thirty minutes to arrive at their destination and when they finally did, Chanyeol hurriedly turned off his car.

"We're here!" He said as he removed his seatbelt in anticipation.

Eunhae went out of the car and felt the wind brushed her hair.

"That's what I'm talking about, Eunhae!" Chanyeol pointed to a tree from a far.

The car came to a stop along the road—where farm areas of Eunhye were located. There were old wooden fences that separated the road from a meadow, and within that grassy area was the Oak tree that Chanyeol was talking about.

"I've never been to this part of Eunhye." Eunhae commented, looking at how the gravel road extended from afar. There were no other vehicles—just trees and grass.

"Let's go," Chanyeol said and crossed the other side of the fence alongside Eunhae.

"Race!" The girl shouted and started to run, startling Chanyeol.

"Hey! That's not fair!"

Their laughter roamed around the vast meadow as they both raced towards the tree, accompanied by the playful whisper of wind and the warmth of sunshine.

"First!" Eunhae turned around when they got to the Oak tree that they considered as the finish line.

Chanyeol let out continuous coughs as he tried to steady his breathing.

"You alright?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "just the run,"

The both of them looked up, admiring how slivers of light peeked through the spaces of the tree's leaves.

"Let's climb it." Chanyeol said as he scanned the strong trunk.

"Alright,"

"Really? It's okay?"

"Of course, why?"

"I don't know. I mean, you're a ballerina. You move modestly, so I think it would be hard for you."

"Really, Chanyeol? You're underestimating me."

Just before Chanyeol could reply, Eunhae pulled herself above and started to climb.

Chanyeol squinted his eyes. Seeing how Eunhae moved effortlessly, Chanyeol chuckled in adoration.

"Are you gonna stay there or what?" She asked, looking down.

"You really are something." Chanyeol remarked as he began his climb.

As Eunhae got higher, the more amazed she was by the view, so she didn't stop until she reached the last thick branch that could carry her weight.

Chanyeol followed and sat on the other side. The main trunk was between them.

When they finally settled, they found themselves lost in amazement at the beauty that the view held in front of them.

"Wow," Eunhae whispered, tightening her arm around the trunk.

The glorious sun dominated the sky, sending bright yellow streaks throughout the horizon. The meadow sparkled beneath the sky which was painted by different shades of orange. For a moment, it's as if time faded for the both of them, and they found themselves enraptured by the majesty of the view in front of them.

"It's beautiful," Chanyeol said. It was clearly noticeable that he was in awe.

Eunhae turned her attention to Chanyeol. She saw him closed his eyes while he took a deep breath as if he was filling his lungs with all the air that he could gather until they burst.

"Absolutely,"

"I want to cry because of its beauty." Chanyeol confessed. "But you're here so I'd rather not to."

Eunhae laughed at his statement, noticing how excited and amazed he was by the view—just like a child.

"You're fond of beautiful things, are you? I mean, beautiful sunset, stars, and other things."

"Of course, who doesn't anyway?"

"Well yeah," Eunhae nodded, returning her attention ahead. "But you're different."

“Really?” He tilted his head. "Why so?"

"I mean, the way you look, think, and talk about them."

"Ah, I see." Chanyeol replied. "Well, yeah, I do find myself concerned with the beauty of things."

"Why do you think so?"

“I don’t know…” He smiled. “Maybe because I want to know that despite the pain, sorrows, and the inevitable storms of life, there are still things, beautiful things that make life worthwhile."

 

~:~

 

It was during a hot afternoon when Eunhae had just finished changing her clothes. Just by looking at the windows, it was clearly seen that the scorching summer sun baked the streets outside.

"Did you bring an umbrella?" Jiyeon asked as she tied up her hair into a bun. “It’s awfully hot today.”

"No," Eunhae sighed, removing her soft pink pointe shoes.

"We could share mine, Eunhae. I'll take you to the bus stop."

Eunhae smiled at Suzy's invitation and nodded. "That would be great. Thank you!"

After securing her bag, the three of them went out of the locker room.

"We're going home, miss M. See you on Friday!" Suzy said as she bowed along with her friends.

"See you, ladies. Take care."

Just as they were about to walk, miss Mina called Eunhae.

"Yes, miss M?"

The older one gave her smile. "Someone's waiting for you outside."

Hearing her statement, Eunhae averted her gaze to the wide glassed windows and saw a familiar car parked in front of the building. It was Chanyeol's car.

"Who's that?" Jiyeon asked.

Eunhae returned her gaze to Miss Mina and earned a wink from the older woman. "See you on Friday, ladies."

Curious, Suzy and Jiyeon fixed their attention at the car as they walked to the door. "Who's that, Eunhae? That's not your mom's c—"

Right after they reached outside, Chanyeol went out of his car along with an umbrella. The familiar childish grin was printed on his face as he waved his hand to greet them.

Recognizing who it was, Suzy and Jiyeon both looked at each other, astounded.

"Isn't that the guy wh—"

"I know. Quiet." Suzy hissed and winked at Jiyeon.

"Calm down," Eunhae chuckled. "It's Chanyeol. My friend."

Hearing her statement, Jiyeon eyed her with a look of suspicion. "A friend? Really?"

"Looks like we won't be sharing my umbrella anymore." Suzy said, earning a laugh from Jiyeon.

Chanyeol walked towards them, giving them a friendly smile. "Good afternoon,"

"Hello, Chanyeol." Jiyeon said as she tried to contain her laugh along with Suzy which caused Eunhae to roll her eyes.

"Well we gotta go…so that you could have more time together."

"Bye, Eunhae! Bye Chanyeol!"

Jiyeon and Suzy said as they tried to mimic a ballerina's bow.

"Sorry," Eunhae sighed as soon as her friends walked away. "They're just like that."

Chanyeol chuckled. "It's alright."

"So, what brought you here?"

"Well, I remember I told you that I'll take you with me once I have a gig at my friend's bistro."

Hearing his reply, Eunhae widened her eyes. "Wait, is it today?"

"Well it's not actually a gig. It's an open mic event. Are you free?"

"Chanyeol, it's summer. The only thing that keeps me busy is my ballet class. And we just finished." Eunhae said. "So yeah, I'm free."

"Great," Chanyeol cheered and led the girl to his car.

 

~:~

 

It was a fifteen minute drive from La Grazia and the two of them got there just before twilight conquered the vast sky. The bistro was a sidewalk type of restaurant; with extra metal tables outside. Through the wide windows, Eunhae could clearly see strings of light hanging from the ceiling, giving off a homey atmosphere.

A scent of brewed coffee wafted through the air as soon as they got inside. They walked towards the counter made of mahogany.

"Chanyeol! Bro!" The man, with brown hair tied up into a messy bun, greeted while wiping the counter.

"Hey, Kris!" Chanyeol replied with a salute.

"Woah, who's this pretty lady?"

"Eunhae, meet Kris." Chanyeol gestured. "Kris, this is Eunhae."

"Hello, Kris."

"Nice to meet you, Eunhae." The boy said as they shook hands.

"Where are the others who signed up for open mic?" Chanyeol questioned as he removed the guitar bag from his shoulder.

"They're not here yet."

"Well, should I set up now?"

"Yeah, sure,"

Chanyeol fumbled his way through the tables as he walked towards the empty stool beside the bistro's bookshelf.

"So…" Kris mumbled. "Are you his girlfriend?"

"Girlf—what? No,"

"Really?" He asked with raised brow.

"Absolutely," Eunhae convinced. "Chanyeol and I are just friends. Good friends."

"I see." Kris said and continued to wipe the wooden counter. "Well, you seem like his type."

"You should go now. Chanyeol's eyeing me." The boy said and gave her a wink.

"Alright," Eunhae chuckled and walked towards Chanyeol who was busy setting up the wires.

"Eunhae, make yourself comfortable." He said and gestured her to an empty table near the small stage.

"You should order. Don't worry, my treat."

Seeing his playful grin, Eunhae smiled. "Okay,"

 

There were only a few people inside the bistro when Chanyeol started, conquering the room with his voice accompanied by his guitar's melody.

Eunhae was savoring her fruit tea as she watched the boy with anticipation. She was fascinated at how his fingers effortlessly plucked the strings as he sang with his melodic silvery voice. She then remembered the time when she first saw his calloused fingers.

Eunhae wasn't aware that she became oblivious of what’s happening around her and the only thing that broke her from her trance was the claps of people when Chanyeol finished his song.

Giving him a thumbs up, Eunhae beamed at Chanyeol which in turn gave her his familiar grin before starting to play his last song.

His second song lasted for four minutes and when he finally finished, he sat across Eunhae, letting the new participant dominate the stage.

"You're so great!" She remarked and clapped.

"And you're making me blush," Chanyeol said. "But really, thank you."

"You're welcome."

"By the way did you notice the box of encouragements at the counter a while ago?"

"Oh I didn't."

"It's alright. I got you one." He smiled and handed her a petite roll of paper.

"Oh, thank you,"

"No, Eunhae, thank you." Chanyeol said. "For being here. It's a privilege."

Sincerity was clearly seen in the boy's eyes which made Eunhae smile in return, amazed at how they were brought together at this kind of simple moment.

 

~:~

 

All endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at that time. --Mitch Albom

 

Eunhae smiled as she read the words on the rolled paper that she got from Chanyeol that day. It was already eleven in the evening when she settled herself on her bed and found herself scattering on her blanket all the paper flowers she received from Chanyeol.

It had been a while since Chanyeol last gave her one. After the tenth paper flower, Chanyeol no longer drop by to leave anything at the front desk, but to see Eunhae and invite her to some places.

Staring at all that she received and remembering the familiar playful grin of the boy, Eunhae smiled, grateful that out of the billion people in the world, she met Chanyeol.


"As high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is God's love for those who fear Him." --Psalm 103:11