IV.

Heretofore

*Open this playlist in a new tab: Heretofore (Before Now) Playlist


It had been a while since Eunhae last received a paper flower from him. She had to admit that every time she goes inside without even being informed by Miss Mina about a new paper flower, she feels a pint of sadness. She never understood the reason why; she was too proud to ask the woman if he dropped by.

Once, she went to La Grazia early and found herself peeking through the window upstairs as if waiting for someone. Yet when the room got filled of ballerinas and no sign of him was seen, she felt a hint of disappointment.

 

After some time, Eunhae found herself staring at the paper flowers rested on the wooden vase on her bedside table. She had already memorized every note, and it saddens her that he stopped all of a sudden. Looking at the sky that was wrapped in shades of purple that beckoned twilight, Eunhae sighed as she wondered where he could have gone.

 

~:~

 

After days of wondering, she met him once again—spontaneously. It wasn't Tuesday or Friday; it wasn't in front of La Grazia either.

This time, she saw him at a bus when she was on her way home from a book store.

She was scanning the chairs when she noticed him. He was settled beside the window, quietly observing the establishments that the bus passes by.

"Chanyeol!" Eunhae said as she walked towards him; a sudden burst existed inside her.

Surprise was obvious on the boy's face upon hearing his name from her.

For a minute, they just looked at each other. Him being astonished while Eunhae being content at this opportune moment, yet flustered at the same time since she didn't know what to do next. She never thought that she was this excited to meet him once again.

"Lee Eunhae," He greeted—taken aback. "Fancy meeting you here…"

Hearing her name once again from that silvery voice of his, Eunhae smiled and sat beside him. It was empty, fortunately.

"Where have you been?" She asked.

"W—where have I been?"

"Well, it's just that…" She pursed her lips, trying to find the words to say. "It—it's been a while since I last heard from you."

"Oh. Indeed, it's been a while. Well uhm, I had been busy." He replied. "Busy with some matters."

"I see…"

It was quiet for a while and as he observed how she fiddled the handle of her bag, he smiled. "Chanyeol,"

"Huh?" She frowned.

"You know my name."

"Oh," Eunhae blinked. Then, she chuckled. "Yes. I heard it when your friend called you during the recital."

Hearing her reply, his familiar grin appeared once again as he made a nod. "Wow,"

"Is there a problem?"

"Nothing, Lee Eunhae. It just feels good to hear it from you for the first time. Thank you."

Contentment was clearly seen in his eyes and as Eunhae processed what he just said, she laughed.

"It’s also been a while since I’ve last seen a paper flower from you."

Realizing what she had just blurted out, Eunhae mentally scolded herself as she felt her cheeks burn.

His eyes sparkled. "Sorry, I thought it annoyed you."

"Well, yeah, it's annoying."

Chanyeol laughed.

"But," she cut, "I somehow grew fond of it."

"You did?"

"Yes, and I loved it."

"Lee Eunhae, please be careful in choosing your words. I might assume that you're falling for me."

"Oh dear.” Eunhae let out a breath of disbelief. Then they both laughed.

"But really," She stated. "Your short notes enlightened me. Thank you, Chanyeol. I appreciate it."

Seeing the sincerity in her eyes, Chanyeol smiled. "You're welcome."

"So uhm…the quotes…where did you get them? Is it a collection of yours?"

"Oh, well, yes. I had this certain notebook at home given by my mom. It's where I write quotes I've encountered that are worth pondering."

"Fascinating," she remarked. "I assume you're fond of reading?"

"I give a big yes to that."

"I knew it."

He chuckled. "That paper bag you're holding is from the local bookstore at 5th Avenue. So…you read too?"

"Good observation! Yes."

"Wow," Chanyeol clapped his hands. "Now I admire you even more, Lee Eunhae."

"Eunhae, just Eunhae." She chuckled. "I never understood why you always call me by my full name."

"It's because you're a remarkable person," Chanyeol explained. "And it is of great importance to call remarkable people by their full name."

"Well, I love your idea. But please, just call me Eunhae."

"As you wish,"

Eunhae smiled then looked through window, realizing that she's almost home. "Well, I'll be leaving in a while. It's nice to see you, Chanyeol."

"No, Eunhae. It's nice to see you."

She pursed her lips and made a nod. There's no point of arguing with this outspoken man in front of her. "So I uh…see you soon, perhaps?"

"Do you want to?"

Eunhae looked away as she chuckled at his question that she somehow found frank. "Well, uh, yeah, I mean, that would be gr—"

"Count on me."

As his words hung midair, Eunhae smiled. "Alright,"

When the bus finally stopped, Eunhae stood up.

"Eunhae?"

"Yes?

"Thank you,"

"For what?”

A smile slowly made its way on Chanyeol's lips. "You made me happy today."


"You see the depths of my heart yet You love me the same." --Chris Tomlin