XVII.

Heretofore

The wide red curtain was opened as the audience began to clap. The Grand Ballet Recital had just started and the first act was about to be performed.

Eunhae stood second at the line of five ballerinas. She was wearing a white sweetheart tutu bodice partnered with a romantic tutu skirt that also had the color of white with few glitters that sparkled beneath the stage lights. Her hair was neatly tied up into a bun surrounded with tiny artificial flowers.

She took a deep breath as they waited for the cue, feeling how the beat of her tensed heart intensified as silence wrapped the whole room. Then, when the music was finally heard, Eunhae gently raised her leg along with the other ballerinas and let the song move her body.

Slowly, Eunhae felt her nervousness being washed away as her heart became at ease. It was a new kind of ease that she had encountered. Unlike her other performances, this one was the kind that overwhelmed her as if she were somewhere else that she cannot quite describe.

It’s like she was floating above water as the sky shifted into different shades of color accompanied by the comforting sound of the ocean.

She wondered why she suddenly felt this way. Perhaps because somewhere on the crowd of audience, seated on the eleventh chair of the third row, was someone in love with her, with a familiar grin on his face and a pair of hazel brown eyes, watching her with adoration.

 

~:~

 

After two hours, the program ended. Mrs. Lee, along with Inna, waited for Eunhae at the entrance of the theater and when she finally arrived, they clapped.

“Sis!” Inna exclaimed with surprise in her eyes. “You were amazing!”

“Thank you, Inna.” The younger one chuckled.

“Oh honey,” Mrs. Lee gave her a hug. “You look gorgeous! The tailor really did a great job on your costume!”

“Aw, mom! Thank you!”

Amidst their cheerful conversation, the Parks arrived after fetching themselves some souvenirs at the table at the lobby since Mrs. Park insisted.

“Eunhae!” The woman called as they approached her. “You were absolutely great back there!”

“Thank you, auntie.” Eunhae chuckled and met Chanyeol’s eyes basked in pride and awe.

Chanyeol smiled. “I’m at loss for words.”

Hearing his statement, Eunhae didn’t take a minute to walk towards him. He was seated on his wheelchair while a blanket was draped above around shoulders, lessening the coldness.

She bent down to give him a hug and Chanyeol managed to wrap his arms around her despite how weak he felt during that time. “Thank you, love.”

“Remember the time when I gave you a rose on the day we first met?”

“Yeah,”

“Here,” Chanyeol said with a playful smirk on his face as he handed her a rose. A white ribbon was tied around its long green stem. “Because it felt like it was my first time to see you dance. I fell in love.”

 

~:~

 

After the program, the Lees, along with the Parks, decided to eat dinner at a restaurant to celebrate Eunhae’s success. They found themselves at an outdoor dining restaurant located in the rustic side of town which is known for their desserts. It was simple, with bricked walls and large windows that revealed the limited tables inside and the counter that leads to the kitchen. There were also tables located outside where the roof extended and strings of lights were decorated above, complimenting the cozy atmosphere and calmness of night. After a waiter adjoined two tables, they settled themselves. Some of them looked around with smiles on their faces as they studied the area, content that they had chosen this place.

“It’s nice.” Mrs. Park complimented as soon as the waiter walked away after taking their orders.

“A friend of mine recommended this restaurant to me.” Mrs. Lee replied. “She’s right. This is worth the recommendation.”

“We’ll see…I hope their foods won’t disappoint us.” Inna joked which earned a laugh from the others.

Chanyeol, on his wheelchair, was settled beside Eunhae while his mom was on the other side. When their desired orders finally came, Eunhae led the prayer, thanking God for the program and this kind of moment with her family and Chanyeol’s. As every one of them savored their food, stories accompanied by laughter were exchanged between them. The winter night was cold yet the joy that basked them that time was enough to blanket them and give them warmth

All of them were completely oblivious of time because they didn’t run out of stories to tell. Amidst their conversation, Chanyeol seldom talked. Most of the time, he would just listen and laugh along as he stared at them, feeling the buoyant beat of his heart.

It was a beautiful moment, he thought, to be with the people he loves and who also love him dearly. He knew that neither rubies nor any kind of jewels will be able to surpass this moment, for it was priceless. It was during that time when Chanyeol saw how blessed he was; for he was able to walk life’s road along with such precious people whose love for him was incomprehensible.

He wanted to cry but instead, he laughed. The kind of laugh that he hadn’t experienced ever since his sickness got worse.

As their conversation went on, Eunhae noticed Chanyeol whose gaze were somewhere else. She then realized that he was looking at the center where there was a wooden platform. There were couples who were slow dancing.

“Hey,” Eunhae murmured as she reached out to place her hand on top of his. “Are you okay?”

Chanyeol nodded. “Yeah,”

After receiving an assurance from his look, Eunhae smiled and was asked by Inna.

Chanyeol’s other hand fiddled the blanket that was on his lap then looked at his wheelchair. He could still feel his legs yet he knew that he didn’t have enough strength to move it.

He then looked up and saw the roof that was complimented with strings of lights that shone while hearing the unrecognizable song that was being played. It sounded like the songs from past. As he felt a certain desire brewing inside him, he transferred his gaze to Eunhae who was laughing at Inna’s jokes. Her hand was still on top of his.

While feeling the loud thump of his heart, Chanyeol closed his eyes.

“I want to dance.”

Mrs. Park’s ears perked. She then looked at her son. “What?”

“I want to dance.” He replied along with a smile.

“Honey, you sure?” His dad asked. Concern was readable on his face. “It might be hard for you…”

“I know…but I can still move it…slowly.”

“Chanyeol—,”

“Please?” Chanyeol smiled. “I want to…”

“Okay, we’ll guide you.”

He then looked at Eunhae who was also staring at him, surprised. “Would you uhm, dance with me?”

“Ch—Chanyeol,”

“Please?”

“Are you sure?” She asked, worried.

“C’mon, you’re the one who used to convince me.”

Seeing his bright smile, Eunhae pursed her lips. Ever since Chanyeol settled himself on his wheelchair, they stopped dancing. Yet deep within her heart, Eunhae knew that there was a longing to be able to sway with him once again.

“Okay,” She replied although she doesn’t have any idea how it will work out. Still, she rested her trust on his words.

Mr. Park was the one who led Chanyeol’s wheelchair towards the center while Eunhae and Mrs. Park tagged along. When they finally stopped, Eunhae stood in front of him and held his hand.

Chanyeol then drew a deep breath and closed his eyes, mustering all the strength he had left. Some people were looking at them now.

His dad held his shoulder while his mom was on the other side. Then, slowly and gently, he pushed himself up.

“I c—can…” He croaked. Wonder was seen in his eyes.

“Are you sure about this, honey?” Mrs. Park asked as they led him to the wooden platform.

“Yeah,”

He then wrapped an arm around Eunhae’s waist as he felt her delicate hand. Her grip around him was tight to give him support yet it was also gentle which comforted him.

“Wow,” Eunhae whispered as her eyes brimmed with tears. “Park Chanyeol, you surely are surprising.”

His parents stayed just before the platform. Tears flowed from Mrs. Park’s eyes as she watched her son stand. She knew that it was hard for him considering how weak he was yet there he stood, mustering all the courage he had just to dance with the girl he loves. Her husband then rubbed her back and gave her a smile. “That’s our strong warrior.”

The two swayed slowly as they heard the soft clanking of plates from afar and the music that was being played.

Eunhae guided Chanyeol in every step they made. Although they danced differently now, all was well with them.

I bless the day I found you~” Eunhae sang. Her voice trembled because she was on the verge of crying, not because of sadness but rather of joy.

Chanyeol buried his head on her shoulder as he listened to her sweet voice. He couldn’t sing along since he was putting all his strength on his legs. It was okay with him though. Just to be close to her like that while listening to her voice was enough for his heart to burst.

I want to stay around you~

Eunhae looked at the string of bulbs above them as she felt his ragged breathing on her neck. It was clearly obvious that Chanyeol was fighting so hard to shrug away the numbness in his legs.

It might look difficult for others yet the difficulty didn’t matter to Chanyeol that time, for he knew how much he wanted to dance with Eunhae…and that longing in his heart, along with Eunhae’s presence that’s so close to him, was enough to make him strong.

And so I beg you,” She closed her eyes and felt a tear trickle on her cheek. “Let it be me…

On the wooden platform, beneath the string of illusory stars, they slowly swayed—Eunhae in her white ballet costume and sweater and Chanyeol in his plaid long sleeves and pants.

Some of the people were looking at them while smiling. Awe was clearly seen on their faces. It amazed them to see how the boy stood up from his wheelchair just to dance with the girl that night and to see such love between the two—the kind of love that was willing to take risks just to be with the person he loves dearly.

It didn’t take them long to stop. Chanyeol’s parents, along with Eunhae, helped him to sit back on his wheelchair once again. They danced for only a minute but it didn’t stop the waltz of their hearts.

Eunhae bent in front of him to meet his height. Although Chanyeol felt drained, he managed to plaster a smile. The spark in his eyes that only appears whenever he looks at her was still there, unfading.

“I have something for you.” He managed to speak.

She then wrinkled her brow. “For me?”

“Yeah,” Eunhae watched Chanyeol as he motioned his dad to get the bag that was hanging on one the handles of his wheelchair. “Open it...it’s for you.”

Mr. Park gave it to her with an excited grin.

“W—what’s this…” The girl murmured as she took out the thing inside the bag.

Then, she gasped in surprised.

It was a painting—a painting made by Chanyeol.

Painted on the canvas, was a ballerina’s outline while a galaxy of stars served as the background. She then turned it around and saw written words on it along with his signature.

 

If people were stars, you shine the brightest to me.

 

“Chanyeol, this is so beautiful…” Eunhae said as her eyes swelled up with tears because it truly was beautiful. She never thought that he would be able to paint once again which made her wonder when he did it. “I…I never thought that you would make me t—this…”

“You’re my favorite scenery, remember?” He said, barely registered to whisper.

Hearing his statement, Eunhae wrapped her arms around him and took in the familiar scent of his cologne.

“I love you, Park Chanyeol.” The girl smiled right after they broke their embrace. “These past few months that I’ve spent with you meant everything to me. I don’t regret them, love. Because in those numbered days with you, I’ve encountered a state in which time has no application…I’ve encountered eternity.”

“Eunhae…” Chanyeol took a deep breath and felt his lips tremble. “I love you, Lee Eunhae. I love you so much. You’re the best thing that has ever happened to me…and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

Then, gently, he leaned closer and planted a sweet kiss on her forehead.


I had a collaboration with a close friend of mine who loves art. She made a painting of Chanyeol's gift to Eunhae. This is the artwork made by Sharise Cosay: