VIII.

Heretofore

*Open this playlist in a new tab: Heretofore (Before Now) Playlist


"Seriously, Eunhae. You're being so conscious all of a sudden." Inna said as she watched her sister glancing at the mirror.

"Of course. We're gonna perform, that's why."

"Sis, I've been watching you perform ever since we're kids and no, you don't look that long at the mirror just to check your already perfect hair that's tied up into a bun."

Eunhae chuckled at Inna's statement as she reached for her costume. "Let's go. Mom's waiting outside."

The sun was shining brightly between puffs of clouds when they drove pass their street. Eunhae, settled at the backseat, studied the buoyant colors of summer. The trees were already at their greenest and the flowers that complimented the houses they passed by were in full blossom.

There was a sudden surge of excitement inside her ever since she woke up that morning. Eunhae knew that it's more than just about La Grazia's yearly performance during the town’s summer festival. She may not admit it to herself clearly but deep beneath her heart was an inkling that she's looking forward to see Chanyeol; to see once again his sparkling expressive eyes along with his familiar grin.

 

~:~

 

A lot of people were already at the town's center park when they arrived. A variety of stalls were aligned at the sidewalk, amusing people especially children. Kites of different colors decorated the bright blue sky as they humbly let the summer wind move them.

"Mom, I'll change now." Eunhae informed. "I'll see you two later."

"Alright," Mrs. Lee said and gave her daughter a kiss on her cheek. "Do your best!"

"Thank you, mom."

Giving her final wave, Eunhae walked away to prepare.

 

Crowds of people had gathered around the center floor of the park—where different performances will be held including the dance number of selected ballerinas from La Grazia's School of Ballet.

Eunhae, now on her costume, walked around the area, scanning the people she passes by.

To her dismay, she didn't see any sign of Chanyeol. She was willing to continue her search but after being called by Miss Yang, she stopped and ran to her group.

"Okay, ladies, don't forget to smile."

"Are you alright?" Suzy whispered after noticing how Eunhae kept on looking back.

"Yeah," she nodded. "I'm just looking for a friend."

After positioning herself, Eunhae tried to scan the crowd and the familiar faces that she saw were few.

When their performance finally started, Eunhae smiled as she did her pas de bourré along with the others. Yet beneath it was a hint of disappointment.

And until the end of their performance, she never saw the grinning boy with hair of ebony.

 

~:~

 

She never saw Chanyeol after that day, and the day after that; until it became a week. Eunhae knew that she longed for him. Perhaps she had become fond of him who always finds a way to spend time with her. It had become a routine for her—to see him and to know him better every time they agree to rendezvous. And not being able to do that during the past days bothered Eunhae, because she had forgotten how to face the day without his presence beside her.

It was during the evening of Friday when she reached for the telephone to call Chanyeol. She just got home that day after her ballet class.

After the third ring, a voice was heard on the other line. And judging its gentleness, Eunhae knew that it's Mrs. Park.

"Good evening. Hello?"

"Uh…is this aunt Minji?"

"Yes. May I know who's this?"

"Oh, good evening miss. It's Eunhae."

"Eunhae! Hello dear! Why did you call?"

Eunhae smiled at her greeting. "Well, I'm just gonna ask if Chanyeol's there? I'd like to talk to him."

"Oh, Chanyeol, sorry dear. He's not here."

Hearing her reply, Eunhae pursed her lips. "Oh I see...uhm could you please tell him that I called?"

"Sure, Eunhae. I'll tell it to him once he got home. He'll probably call you afterwards."

"Okay," Eunhae smiled. "Thank you, Mrs—auntie.”

"Alright, dear. Bye bye."

Eunhae placed the telephone on the side table then glanced at the clock, wondering what time he'll call. She laid herself on the couch and stared at the vast cream colored ceiling as she drummed her fingers, thinking what kind of stories she'd tell him. She didn't manage to talk to him for a week so she thought that she'll probably tell him how her days went. Although nothing much happened, Eunhae's willing to chat with him even if all they'll ever talk about was their own idiosyncrasies. Because no matter how dull their topic might be, Chanyeol was the kind of person who always finds himself fascinated even by little things.

To kill some time, Eunhae fetched herself a book to read and every once in a while, she'd glance at the telephone with hopes that it will ring.

Yet it didn't.

 

~:~

 

After another week of silence between the two of them, Eunhae went to the bistro that Chanyeol introduced to her. She thought of ordering something to bring home for her mom and Inna.

When she finally took a step inside, Kris was at the counter wiping some glasses.

Seeing her familiar face, Kris wrinkled his brow. "Eun—Eunhae, right?"

She smiled. "Yes, and you're Kris."

"I knew it. Hello. Long time no see."

The girl chuckled. "You too."

"I see you're alone today. Where's Yeol?"

"Yeah," Eunhae reached for the menu. "And about Chanyeol, I haven't seen him for a while."

"Really?"

"Yes, I have no news from him."

"'Really? He's probably busy with his hospital appointments, eh?"

Hearing his statement, Chanyeol raised her eyebrow. "Pardon? Hospital Appointments?"

"Yeah,"

"What do you mean?"

Kris gave her a look of suspicion as he fiddled the cheese cloth. "Didn't he tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

Realizing how clueless she was, Kris sighed. "So he didn't tell you."

"Tell me what, Kris?"

"I—I don't know, Eunhae. I think it's better if you ask him." He avoided her eyes and started to wipe the counter.

Overwhelmed with curiosity and concern, Eunhae held one of his wrists. "Kris, please tell me."

Seeing how desperate she was, he looked at her for a while then sighed.

"Chanyeol's sick…"

Hearing his statement, she gave him a questioning look.

"He had uh…he had a recurrence."

"Wait…what? A recurrence?”

Kris scratched his head. He didn’t want to talk anymore yet seeing how uncontrollable her curiosity was, he knew he could. “His cancer came back.”

“W—what? Cancer?” Eunhae frowned as she felt the sudden throb in her head.

"That's all I know, Eunhae." He cleared his throat. "I think I'm not in the right position to tell you all the details. It's better if you ask him instead."

As confusion basked her face, Eunhae sighed. "Oh I surely will."

And with that statement of hers, she dashed out of the bistro without leaving any proper goodbye—her thoughts had become too messed up to realize it.


"Whether I sink, whether I swim, oh it makes no difference when I'm beautifully in over my head." --Jenn Johnson