I.

Heretofore

*Open this playlist in a new tab: Heretofore (Before Now) Playlist


The curtain once again opened and revealed anticipated audience wrapped in silence. 

Eunhae squinted and saw Inna, her sister, seated on one of the chairs at the front row. Despite the limited light, Eunhae could see her sister's eyes sparkling with pride as she waited for her to make her move. Her sister was aware that it's her turn. Eunhae mentioned while they were on their way that she will dance along two ballerinas during the program’s second act.
After glancing at her fellow ballerinas, Eunhae took a deep breath and made an arabesque as the classical song started. The pain that she was feeling on her feet a while ago had finally vanished as she gently made her steps.
She could clearly feel the wild beat of her heart like a drum yet as the clock ticked on, Eunhae found herself setting aside her nervousness and letting the music move her feet instead.
This is the feeling that she always finds herself every time she moves on stage; the kind that she will not be occupied of the organized list of steps to do next, but rather conquered by the music itself—controlling both of her arms and feet.

 

Claps were heard after the ballerinas gave their last bow and the lights went out. Eunhae fumbled through her way at the back stage as she heard compliments from the event organizers.

"Great job, ladies!" Miss Yang, a ballet mistress, greeted when the women arrived at the backstage.

"Thank you, Miss!" Suzy, one of the dancers, chimed and clasped Eunhae's hand. Satisfaction was written in her eyes.

Another song was heard from the stage and Eunhae peeked behind the curtain, witnessing the performance of the next group.

"Hey, let's change. Act III will start soon." Jiyeon tapped the girl's shoulder, nodding at the dressing room.

"Yeah I'll be there in a while."

When Jiyeon disappeared, Eunhae took a deep breath—completely satisfied at their performance. Then, after noticing beads of sweat on her forehead, she went inside the room to change.

 

~:~

 

Eunhae was in her next costume when she went out of the room, wiping away her sweat with tissue.

"Hey!"

The girl spun around and saw a stranger with hair of ebony. She glanced behind her, wondering if he is some sort of a family friend of one of the dancers inside the dressing room. Yet seeing how his hazel eyes bore into her with such familiarity, she thought otherwise. Wrinkling her brow, she gave the boy a questioning look.

"Yes, you." He nodded. A confident grin was plastered on his face. "You were great back there."

"Oh, thank you." Eunhae replied, completely taken aback by the stranger's remark.

The girl gave a polite smile then for a short while, the boy just gazed at her; his grin not disappearing.

"I just sneaked here at the backstage.” He chuckled. “Fortunately, no one noticed me."

Eunhae widened her eyes. "You could get in trouble, sir."

"It's alright. Having this conversation with you is worth the risk."

Hearing his reply, the girl blinked, and just before she could be eaten up by bashfulness, Suzy emerged from the room. "Let's line u—oh, hello."

The boy, who's seemingly frank, nodded. "Good evening."

Suzy stared at the two, noticing how the gorgeous boy in front of her looked at her friend with amused eyes. Then, she grinned and walked away.

"Act III is up next! Be ready." One of the stage managers informed.

"Well, I gotta go back. See you in a while." He smiled again for the last time and walked away, leaving Eunhae astounded.

She then let out a breath of disbelief and rubbed her palms on her cheeks which she felt hot as she tried to take in what just happened.

"Who was that?" Suzy interestingly asked when Eunhae stood behind her.

"I don't know. He just sneaked here."

"Sneaked?"

"Yes, and he succeeded." Eunhae replied with a tone of disbelief, analyzing how he managed to slipped in.

"Wow," Suzy smirked, "such bravery he got there."

Eunhae nodded in agreement as the actions of the boy a while ago bore into her mind.

 

~:~

 

The program lasted for almost two hours and when Eunhae had finally changed into her casual clothes, she met Inna outside the small theater.

"As always, you're awesome!" Inna said as she gave her sister an embrace.

"Thanks, sis."

"Too bad mom didn't get to see it. An emergency came up."

Eunhae gave a smile of understanding. "It's okay. You took a video anyway, right?"

"Of course!" Inna replied and joyfully held the camera lace around her neck. "Let's eat somewhere shall we?"

"As long as it's your treat."

“I hate it when you do that.” Inna rolled her eyes and earned a chuckle from her sister.

They were waiting for a cab outside the theater when Eunhae heard her name, causing the both of them to look back.

Once again, she saw the boy with hair of ebony running towards her.

"How'd you know my name?" She asked, surprised.

He bent down and coughed, relieving himself after his run. As a reply, he waved the program booklet in front of her which contained the names of the ballerinas along with their photos.

"Oh,"

"Here, it's for you." The boy handed her a single red rose.

"The man back there told me flowers should be given to the performers we admire." He said. "You're the one I have in mind...so here."

"Oh…t—thanks,"

Eunhae pursed her lips and saw Inna with her sneaky face, trying to stop her laugh.

Returning her gaze to the boy, she realized that he was just looking at her while a grin was plastered on his face. She took notice of his eye color—hazel.

His stare was so penetrating that she just wanted to lock herself in a nutshell when fortunately, someone shouted from behind him.

"Let's go, Chanyeol!"

The boy looked back for a second then returned his attention once again to her.

"I hope to see you once again, Lee Eunhae."

He said along with a salute just before he could even receive a reply and then ran off, leaving her completely flabbergasted.

"What was that all about?" Inna asked. A smirk was plastered on her face.

“I don’t know,”

“Oooh really...”

Hearing her sister’s sneaky comment, Eunhae sighed. "Shut u—"

"Cab's here!"

After settling themselves at the backseat, the girl stared at the single rose she was holding. As she recalled her encounter with the stranger a while ago who seemed as bold as a lion, she felt the nervous thump of her heart that was still taken aback.


"You split the sea so I could walk right through it. You drowned my fears in perfect love." --Jonathan Helser