High Expectation

Drift Away

High Expectation

 

That night, Mingyu was about to leave Hyemi’s house but when he entered the car, he received a text message from his friend named Minhyuk. Minhyuk is his friend – a neighbor for the exact – and they’ve been friend since a long time ago.

 

Minhyuk told Mingyu to come to his house since he has something to talk about, he even told him to wait for a little while because he was still on his way home. Even when the clock strikes to three thirty in the morning, and even when Mingyu was still extremely tired from everything that he did since the morning, he still forced himself to do what Minhyuk told him.

 

As what Mingyu had told him, he waited in the terrace, sitting on the chair. Mingyu is a smoker, but he has always been careful to pick any cigarette in Minhyuk’s place because he knows that Minhyuk is using and selling drugs – and inside the cigarette that are lying down on the table beside him, he didn’t know what’s inside those.

 

“Hands up!”

 

Suddenly a group of cops were surrounding him, telling him to put his hands up, then one of them handcuffed his hands forcely. At first he was confused, because he really didn’t do something wrong, why should they arrested him? But then he realized that Minhyuk used him, making him a substitute.

 

He knew that he didn’t do something wrong, and every time the police told him to admit that the on the table are his, he told them the truth that he really didn’t have anything. And when the police let him to ask one question, he asked:

 

“Where is Minhyuk? Is he okay?”

 

“He is already in the jail. And if you can’t give us the redeem money in three days, you will be there with your friend. In the jail.” Said one of the police.

 

Three million won in three days. The police might be crazy, but this is how it works. Minhyuk was forced by the police to tell them who is his big boss, but he couldn’t because he might be dead as soon as he’s free. So, as the substitute, he told them that Mingyu is also a seller.

***

 

“Hyemi! Where are you going?”

 

She packed her stuffs in a rush, like she’s going to be late for something. For the whole day, her mind was everywhere outside, and she couldn’t even eat her lunch nor her breakfast. She was thinking about Mingyu all day, and she couldn’t stop.

 

“Somewhere, I have an important thing to do.”

 

“But we have a practice today, Hyemi. The championship is just a month away.”

 

“Oh my God, Ahreum! I forgot about it, what to do? I thought –“

 

“What’s wrong, Hyemi? For the whole day, you really couldn’t concentrate at any single thing, you even forgot about the practice when you are the one who made the schedule?”

 

“I really can’t say to you now, really. Can you cover me for today’s practice?”

 

“Alright if it’s really important. And it seems more important than anything when you didn’t even notice that Jaehyun is not here since the morning.”

 

“Jaehyun?” she looked around the class, and Jaehyun was really nowhere. “Where is he?”

 

“I don’t know, he is your neighbor.”

 

“I’m going to ask him later, bye Ahreum!”

 

She thought that Sejong would stay to accompany her, but, no. She told Hyemi that Mingyu and Hyemi really need a time to talk, or an explanation from Mingyu. Since the time is short, Sejong didn’t want to interrupt their little time together.

 

Mingyu and Hyemi were looking at each other in between the glass wall. And one of them was already tearing up, even before starting the conversation. The cry baby couldn’t say anything, while Mingyu tried to be strong in front of her, assuring that he is okay and she doesn’t need to be worried.

 

“I’m okay, Hyemi” he said, his voice could be heard through the little holes on the glass wall. Actually, he was also holding his tears when he saw Hyemi cried, and he’s afraid what if Hyemi heard his shaking voice.

 

Don’t cry’

 

He wrote on a piece of paper, with a cute drawing beside the words. While Hyemi just replied with a nod, trying to wipe the tears on her face. Followed by Mingyu who gave her a two thumbs up.

 

‘We will find a way.’

 

She replied.

 

‘I promised to meet you in three days.’

 

“You just made another promise, Kim Mingyu.”

 

He smiled after realizing that Hyemi was right. Ever since he’s with Hyemi, he’s just unconsciously making promises after promises and ended up disappointing. And right now, he just made another promise that he couldn’t even make sure.

 

“Hyemi?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You’ve seen so many bad things about me, I always disappoint you by breaking the promises, and my bank account would be empty after I gave them the money – yet you are still trying to stay with me?”

 

“I know, I’m crazy, right?”

 

“Yes, you are crazy.”

 

“Kim Mingyu, this crazy high school girl is waiting for you. So, you have to be free in three days and meet me just like what you promised. Don’t worry about money, we can still eat delicious food. I can cook.”

 

She likes him so much to the point that she didn’t even care if Mingyu feels the same or not. About his bad side, or even his criminal notes. Because she knows that Mingyu is not someone like this, and this is just another test from God for Mingyu.

 

She likes him so much to the point that she would do anything for him even when he would never do the same to her. She is crazy, and blinded by love, when the other one was still confused about his feeling.

 

“I’m going to see you again tomorrow, bye, Mingyu!”

 

“See you, Hyemi. Don’t forget to eat your lunch!”

 

And Kim Mingyu must not have a heart if he broke this little girl’s heart, who even accepted him for what he is, for even willing herself to come to the police station once a day just to meet him. And even didn’t mind when he said his bank account is empty now.

 

And they are not even a lover, yet.

***

 

“Is Jaehyun home?”

 

“Oh, you don’t know?” said the nanny who opened the door for Hyemi – the nanny who watched Hyemi, Jaehyun, and Wonwoo growing up. “Jaehyun is still in critical condition because this morning a mini bus hit him when he was crossing the road.”

 

And that’s how Hyemi ran to the road, searching for an empty taxi while tears rolling down from her eyes. There are so many calls and text messages from Wonwoo, telling her that Jaehyun is in the hospital that Wonwoo even skipped the school to wait for Jaehyun’s operation.

 

But her mind was thinking about Mingyu all day that she didn’t even realized that both Wonwoo and Jaehyun didn’t attend the school today. She felt bad, and sorry towards them, because when Jaehyun needs her, she wasn’t there.

 

And even last night when she was with Mingyu in the middle of the night, playing swing by themselves, and even enjoyed kissing each other; she didn’t even opened Jaehyun’s messages who was worried about her condition.

 

Her heart was ripping apart, she was failed.

***

 

a/n; how coul nct and seventeen are coming back at the same time.... this really makes me dizzy TT___TT i really need jaehyun and mingyu interaction on music shows... really TT___TT and for this chapter i'm #TEAMSEJONG lol thank you sejong because without you, hyemi wouldnt be able to meet mingyu lol