MinSyung: Destiny with You Part.1

Book of FanFictions

 

Story 7:  MinSyung:  Destiny with You Part.1 - by: LADYERROR        

 

          “What is it?”  Min Woo started a conversation with him.  Hye Sung was startled.  He was deep into his own thought, that he was forgetting the man who was sitting right in front of him.

“NOTHING!”  Hye Sung smiled.  “It’s just that-... the menu!  The menu was incredible!”

 

           Hye Sung really wanted to know whether Min Woo had ever thought of giving him a RING.  Thinking of it, Hye Sung felt thousands of butterflies started to flutter inside his stomach.  This whole tradition of proposing was actually not benefiting anyone.  He sipped his drink and smiled lovingly to Min Woo.  They were having a special romantic lunch in this new restaurant that facing right to the Han river.  It was beautifully decorated with little sparkling chandelier and rainbow coloured chairs.  They were elegant, but not too luxurious.  A perfect place to PROPOSE during lunch time.  Hye Sung could feel his heart beating faster every second passed.  He just hoped everything would go well.  He was even ready to book a room in the most expensive hotel in town.  Or perhaps, Min Woo already did.  No, Min Woo was not that kind of person.  He did not like to show-off.  A prestigious lunch or dinner, but an overly-expensed hotel, NO.  And Hye Sung appreciated it. 

               

             Min Woo looked anxious.  He was playing with his watch, checking his cellphone, and tracing his fingers on his glass.  When he noticed Hye Sung was watching him, he smiled in return.  “So?”

            “So?”  Hye Sung hold his giggle.  Truth to be told, he was also anxious.  He was busy playing with his napkins and fixing his chair – even though there was nothing wrong with the way he was sitting.  He almost could not stand waiting any longer.  Why couldn’t Min Woo just say it?  Why couldn’t he just get ‘over’ it?

 

             No, not getting ‘over’ it.  Of course – not putting an ‘end’, but to start a ‘beginning’.  The FIRST step.  They would start an adventure together – as an ITEM.  And Hye Sung was more than READY to start their life in togetherness.  Because he loved Min Woo and Min Woo loved him!  They had been walking in this path as lovers for almost a year now, and though it was short, Hye Sung was sure Min Woo loved him very much, and he did too!  And he was sure today Min Woo was going to propose to him.  Min Woo had been an easy-to-be-read person, but it might be because Hye Sung knew him very well.  Like TODAY.  How could Hye Sung tell that Lee Min Woo was going to give him a proposal?  Because Min Woo had given many ‘signs’ long before – OBVIOUS signs!  He was like building a big traffic sign in the middle of the street:  “I AM GOING TO MARRY YOU.” 

             At first, he made today’s date and told Hye Sung that they were going to have an ‘exclusive’ lunch.  Then he announced to Hye Sung that there would be a ‘big and important’ question that Hye Sung had to prepare himself to answer it – Hye Sung pretended that he DID NOT understand what Min Woo meant.  And then, Min Woo by asking him whether he liked Min Woo’s name – Lee.  And yes, Hye Sung liked it, and it would be his greatest pleasure to change his own name into Lee Hye Sung.  Hye Sung giggled by just imagining it happen.

 

              “So, have you decided?”  Min Woo looked at him with his warm smile, and Hye Sung felt the butterflies in his stomach were turning into a hurricane.  For once, he thought THIS WAS IT!  He finally would propose.

 

               Hye Sung just bent his head to hide his excitement and nervousness.  Of course the answer was ‘YES’!  Thousands of ‘yes’!  All this time, he was RIGHT!  Min Woo was The One!  After this one year, Hye Sung finally believed that they were made for each other. He had seen Min Woo in his BEST [on their first date, he grinded Min Woo’s foot when he parked his car, and Min Woo did not even yell at him] and in his WORST [Min Woo stubbornly insisted going to Busan without using any map or navigation system and got them lost for more than six hours].  And Hye Sung still wanted to be with him.  He understood Min Woo damn well!

               It was not that Hye Sung was an easy-believe-in-other person, but he had experienced so much bad romance, wrong judgement and not to mention bad luck.  Just looked what happened to Eric, his ex-boyfriend – before Min Woo.  They were happy for three years and when Hye Sung accidentally mentioned that his parents got married by their age at that time, and Eric suddenly CHANGED.  He just mentioned it once.  That particular once, and Eric could not imagine having to see him again.  It might be because he was afraid that Hye Sung would mention that ‘marriage’ thing again.  He was avoiding Hye Sung for quite some time, but Hye Sung did not mind, because by the time Eric was taking a distance with him, Hye Sung was getting closer with Min Woo.  And looked how things turn out better!

               Min Woo’s appearance was much more BETTER than Eric, and please, also his attitude.  He was more responsible, serious and considerate, compared to Eric.  Though Eric was older than Min Woo, but his attitude was worse

 

Now back to presentWhere were they?  Ah!  They were getting near to that moment when Min Woo would kneel down, took a deep breath...

          Hye Sung was feeling anxious for Min Woo.  He wanted this scene to run beautifully.  He wanted to be able to share this unforgettable moment with his best friends.  Later.  Wondered how they would comment?

 

“Today is a SPECIAL day,”  Min Woo started with a mesmerizing gaze, “Don’t you feel it?”

“Of course,” Hye Sung nodded.

“This place is so beautiful.”  He looked around them.  “It’s a PERFECT place for...” Paused. “A serious conversation.”

 

           Hye Sung placed his hands on the table, and like he expected, Min Woo reached for his hands and hold them into his.  He took a deep breath, and said, “Hye Sung-ie, there’s something I want to ASK about.”  When their eyes locked each other, he continued, “I think it won’t be surprising anymore...”

//Oh my God!! This is IT!!//

Yes?”  Hye Sung’s heart seemed to be read to launch out to the space and beyond.

 

“Bread?”

          Min Woo jumped in surprised and so was Hye Sung.  A waiter came to them so quietly that they did not notice him at all.  Almost as quick as a lightning, Min Woo let go of Hye Sung’s hands.  In his frustration, Hye Sung really wanted to throw that basket of bread right onto the waiter’s face.  Could he not see? Why didn’t anyone give the waiters training of how to identify the sign of a couple proposing?  Hye Sung knew Min Woo’s mind was distracted too.  Stupid, stupid waiter!  How dare he ruined their big moment?

 

“So,” Hye Sung tried to pull back their thread of conversation, just after the waiter left them, “your question was?”

 

          “Well, yes.”  Min Woo put his attention back to Hye Sung now, then again he took another deep breath – and his face expression was changed.  He looked at someone behind Hye Sung, and Hye Sung was surprised too to find another waiter was THERE!  He was waiting for them to order the food.  So both of them ordered something to eat from the menu – Hye Sung did not even know what he was ordering anyway – then off the waiter went.  But then another came again, just a few moment afterwards.  Hye Sung felt a pity towards Min Woo.  How could he propose in this kind of situation? 

 

Hye Sung smiled bitterly to Min Woo.  “Not your DAY.”

“You can say that again.”

“Another waiter will come any moment now to offer us some wine.”  Hye Sung informed him.

          “It’s so crowded just like a circus here.”  Min Woo rolled his eyes in remorse.  Yet Hye Sung could feel the warmth of this situation.  Who cared when Min Woo would propose?  He did not mind if this moment would not be that perfect

“Do we have to order a champagne?”  Min Woo asked him.

Hye Sung let out a little smile.  “Don’t you think... it’s too early?”

Depends,”  Min Woo lifted his eyebrows, “you DECIDE it.”

 

           He was so obvious!  Hye Sung did not know whether to laugh at him or to hug him. “Well then...”  He paused to give a dramatic moment, to make it memorable for both of them. “Yes!  My answer is YES!”

           Min Woo was surprised and Hye Sung could see the tense Min Woo had was disappearing.  Did Min Woo really think that he was going to say no?  He was really modest.  He was such a kind man. And YES!  They were getting married at last!!!

 

          “With all my HEART, Min Woo-ah!  YES!”  Hye Sung added more.  His voice was shaking in sudden.  “You must know how much it means to me.  I-I don’t know what to say.”

 

          Min Woo’s fingers squeezed Hye Sung’s hands and for a moment, they lingered in silence.  Hye Sung could feel he was surrounded by the cloud of happiness, and he wanted to lay on that cloud forever. So many plans in their future together.  And they would live a happily ever after life!

 

“So,”  Min Woo said in the end, gently caressed Hye Sung’s hands, “are you happy?”

“I can’t be any HAPPIER.”

“I’ve been thinking about this for a long time.” 

 

Hye Sung sighed happily. 

“But I never thought... Did we ever imagine this happening?  We’ve been good friends for years, and it feels like..., I don’t know...  like what?”

“I understand.”  Hye Sung nodded.

“I will always remember this place.  I’ll remember how you look at me at this moment.”  Min Woo squeezed Hye Sung’s hands tighter.

          “Me too.”  What Hye Sung liked from Min Woo was, he could say so much with only a glimpse of eye or a little head tilting.  He did not have to say much words, because Hye Sung could easily read him.

 

“Are you interested in our wine, Sir?”  A waiter appeared and Hye Sung smiled at him.

“I guess we could use some champagne.”

Absolutely.”  The waiter replied smiling back to him.  “And we do have Ruinart for special occasion.”

Ruinart it is.”  Hye Sung was so eager to share their happiness.  “Today indeed is a special day!  We are just ENGAGED!!”

 

           The waiter’s smile bloomed wider.  “Congratulations, Sir!!”  Both the waiter and Hye Sung turned their face to Min Woo – and surprisingly, Min Woo DID NOT look excited at all.  Instead, he looked at Hye Sung in such a terrifying look.  Why?  What happened?

 

“What-“  Min Woo’s voice sounded choked.  “WHAT do you MEAN??”

 

          Out of the blue, Hye Sung understood why Min Woo got so uneasyOf course.  He had ruined the big SURPRISE.  Of course Min Woo was the one who wanted to break the news on the first hand.  “Min Woo, I’m so sorry.  Do you want to inform your parents first?”  He enveloped Min Woo’s cold hands into his.  “I completely understand.  I will not tell the others, I promise.”

 

“Tell what?”  His eyes were definitely filled by horror.  “Hye Sung-ie, we’re NOT engaged!!”

“But...”  Hye Sung looked at him, starting to feel unsure.  “You just propose to me, and I say YES!!”

“I DID NOT!!”  Min Woo pulled his hands off Hye Sung’s grasp.

 

One of them surely had gone MAD.  The waiter had dismissed himself politely to give some space and privacy to the couple.

 

           “Hye Sung-ie, I’m sorry, but I really DON’T KNOW what you are talking about.”  Min Woo brushed his hair.  “I didn’t mention anything about wedding, engagement, or what...”

           “But... but that’s what you MEAN, right??!!  When you said you wanted to order champagne and you ask for my decision??  Then I answered, ‘with all my heart’??  I thought that’s BEAUTIFUL.”  Hye Sung looked deeply into Min Woo’s eyes, hoping he would AGREE with him, hoping Min Woo felt what he was feeling.  But on the contrary, he looked very confused and Hye Sung started to fall in dreadfulness.  “That was not what you MEAN??”  He was almost could not talk when he said those words.  He could not believe it was happening.  “You didn’t mean to propose?”

            “Hye Sung-ie, I DID NOT PROPOSE!!!”  Min Woo answered him firmlyDid he had to say that in such a loud voice?  Hye Sung started to see many heads looking towards them.

            “Okay!!! I get it!!!  You don’t have to tell about it to the WHOLE restaurant!!!”  Hye Sung was really ashamed now.  How could he get it so wrong???  If Min Woo did not propose to him, why didn’t he?

 

“I don’t understand.”  Min Woo definitely tried to defense himself.  “I never suggest ANYTHING about this, how come you can get the idea-“

“You’ve said it MANY times!!”  Brokenhearted and disappointment had filled Hye Sung’s heart now.  “You told me you were having this SPECIAL dinner.”

“It is special!”

“And you’ve asked me whether I LIKE your name!!  Your name, Lee Min Woo!!!”

“That’s because I’m planning to start a new LINE of fashion using my own name!!!”  Min Woo really looked uneasy now.  “It was just a SIMPLE question.”

“And you said you were going to ask me a big and important question!”

          “Not a ‘big and important’ one!!  Just a question!!!  I’m going to start a business on my own, using my own name, and I ask you here to let you know about it.  And CELEBRATE it!!!  For God’s sake, Hye Sung-ie!!!” 

 

           Then there was this horrifying silence fell between them.  The seventh heaven’s clouds suddenly vanished into the thin air.  The sweet dreams and songs of the hill had also disappeared into the deep ocean of embarrassment.  Hye Sung really wanted to cry in tears now.

 

“Hye Sung-ie,”  Min Woo called him softly.  “I really don’t know what to say.”

 

           For a moment, Hye Sung did not answer him.  He just looked down at the napkin in front of him.  “So,” still with his trembling voice, “do you even think of marrying me?”  When Hye Sung asked that very question, Min Woo could feel the absolute pain in his angelic voice.  One minute ago, Hye Sung was pretty sure that he was getting married.  Now it seemed that their relationship had gone back to square one.  Or even ZERO.

 

           “I- Oh my God!  Hye Sung-ie, I really don’t know!”  Min Woo was cornered.  “I mean, YES.  I think so.”  His eyes looked around wildly.  “May be.  You know.  Eventually.”

           “If that’s so,”  Hye Sung tried his best not to let his tears down. “The point is, Min Woo, I want to get married.  And I want it with YOU.”  He paused, trying to control his breath and keep calm.  “So I guess it’s better to know the truth sooner than later.  Thank you for that!”

“Hye Sung-ie!”  Min Woo yelled in surprise.  “Wait!  This doesn’t change any-“

          “It changes EVERYTHING!  I’m not going to spend the rest of my life in waiting list!!  If there’s nothing happen between us, then might as well I move onDo you get what I mean??”  Hye Sung tried to smile, but it seemed that his grinning muscles had been paralyzed.  “I better go now!”  Hye Sung could feel his tears were about to roll out of the corners of his eyes, and he had to get away before Min Woo could see it.  So he quickly stood up on his feet, and rushed out of the restaurant, leaving Min Woo who was still stunned on his seat, not knowing what to do.

 

***

 

Hye Sung’s cellphone beeped and with the speed of light, he reached for it.  “Shin Hye Sung speaking.”

Hyung!  It’s me!”

Hye Sung fought his urge to disconnect the call.  “Oh, hi, Jin-ah!”  He gulped. “Hi.”

“So how is it??”

           

           Hye Sung could sense his younger friend was teasing him.  In a good way, of course.  There was no way Park Jun Jin knew what had happened.  Hye Sung cursed himself.  He should never share about his ‘engagement’ with Min Woo earlier.  But he was so excited, and he knew he had to tell this friend of his.  Only him – whom he always treated like his own brother.  This morning he did mention to Jun Jin that Min Woo was taking him to this ‘special’ lunch and would ask him the ‘big and important’ question of HIS LIFE.  And Jun Jin jumped into the conclusion at once – Min Woo was going to PROPOSE to Hye Sung.  What else could it be?  Jun Jin was even more excited than he was.  Jun Jin even almost convinced him to buy a pair of rings and gave one to Min Woo when it really happened.  Yeah!  Really happened!!  Fortunately, Hye Sung DID NOT buy the ring, since he thought it was Min Woo who supposed to give him.  Hye Sung felt WORSE now.  Why did he have to tell Jun Jin about this whole thing?  Next time, if he ever got into a relationship, he would never ever share it with anyone.  Not even Jun Jin.  Wait until he got this little thing made of gold around his ring finger, then it was the RIGHT time to tell everyone – the whole world, if he needed to – that he was in a perfect relationship with a happily ever after ending.

 

“Oh, everything’s just fine.”  Hye Sung finally let out a short answer.  “But I REJECT him.”

“You WHATTTT???”

 

***

 

            //Oh my God!!  Something must have gone wrong!!!//  Jun Jin almost wanted to cry.  He did not know what happen exactly, but he knew for sure there was something WRONG.   He did not call for a BAD news.  He called his friend-like-brother... err... mother perhaps was more suitable, to get a good news.  He knew Hye Sung had been in a serious relationship with one of his best friends, Lee Min Woo, for more than one year now.  One year and two months.  How did he know that?  Of course he knew, because Hye Sung had always insisted to celebrate their relationship every month.  And in that every month, Hye Sung would call him to get ideas of what gift he could buy for Min Woo.  Annoying.  Yes, but Jun Jin enjoyed it. 

 

           A paper plane just landed right in front him.  Not ONE actually.  Jun Jin counted the numbers of paper planes landed right on his desk mentally since the moment he made a call.  There were nine of them already, and it started to annoy Jun Jin.  He looked at the person who had been throwing and flying the paper planes everywhere.  Eric Mun.  His older friend who surely could not act according to his age now.  Eric had this habit visiting his home and workplace any time he liked, as no one could STOP him anyway.  And by the time Eric visited him, lots of things would definitely happen.  Eric would play with anything he could find within Jun Jin’s surrounding.  This time, Jun Jin managed to keep all the toys in hidden place so Eric would not have a chance to make a mess.  But, Eric was Eric.  He could still get ideas how to test Jun Jin’s patience

 

Jun Jin covered his phone to talk to Eric.  He hissed, “Hyung!  Do you mind??  I’m in the middle of conversation!”

“But I’m so bored!!!! Jin-ah!!!  Where are all the TOYS???”

“Toys??? What TOYS??? Hyung!!! I’m not a CHILD anymore!!! We’re not children!!! NO TOYS!!!”

 

           Eric was still pouting.  He really knew how to irritate Jun Jin.  “Don’t lie to me!!!!  Last week you bought the NERF gun!!!  Complete with its darts!!!  I want to play with it!!!!  Where is it???”

“Not NOW, hyung!!!”  Jun Jin was about to yell to Eric, when he heard Hye Sung’s voice on the other line calling his attention back.

 

“Jin-ah, are you with someone?”  Jun Jin heard Hye Sung questioning him.

          “NO.”  He quickly replied.  “No one, Hyung.  I’m sorry.”  Jun Jin would never tell Hye Sung that Eric was with him now.  EVER.  Not after what happened between them in the past.   //Where were we? Ah!  Yes!!// “Why did you REJECT him???  I thought you LOVE him!!!”

 

“Jin-ah!!!  Are you IGNORING me???  Who’s calling???”  Eric was still trying to get Jun Jin’s attention.

          Jun Jin did not answer him.  He was trying to ignore Eric and focus his mind to Hye Sung now.  Hye Sung got bigger problem than Eric now for sure.  But before he could hear Hye Sung’s answer to his question, Eric put his face right in front of his, demanding his request to be fulfilled.  When he was face-to-face... no... nose-to-nose with Eric, Jun Jin knew he had no choice than to give in what Eric wanted. 

          “Fine!”  Jun Jin covered the mouth of the phone again, “why don’t you SEARCH for it???  Pretend this is a GAME, if you found it, I’ll let you play with it!!!  Now let me get back to this call!!!”

 

Eric grinned.  Finally, he got what he wanted.  Soon he left to find the toy he wanted so much, leaving Jun Jin with his call.

 

“Jin!  Are you talking to someone else there??”  Again Hye Sung asked him.

“No.  No one.  Really.”  Jun Jin hoped Hye Sung would believe him.  “Anyway, I’m so sorry for you, Hyung.”

 

          “What??  What are you talking about?? Why are you SORRY?? Are you taking a pity on me because I have NO boyfriend now??!!”  Hye Sung started to wreak his pain to Jun Jin.  “Losing him doesn’t mean my world would have to STOP rotating!!!  And I’m glad I’m OVER with him!!!  I don’t have to waste my time with someone who didn’t even think I’m important in his life!!!”

           Jun Jin closed his eyes and massaged his temple.  It was too late for him to realize that he had made an unforgivable statement.  He just meant to show his sympathy, but he should know it better that Hye Sung would scold him for it instead.  “Do you want me to be beside you?  I can come now.”  He offered his presence now to ease Hye Sung’s broken heart.

           “Come?  You don’t have to come!! WHAT??!  Do you think I’m sad because of Min Woo??  Do you think my life is only centered on only ONE man??  I’m not even thinking of him now.  Not anymore.  Do you know what I’m thinking???  I just want to cook a pot of Soondubu Jiggae and drink a bottle of Soju!!  Yup!!  That’s ALL!!! And I don’t need you to do that!!!”

“I understand.”  Jun Jin tried to correct himself, “of course, you don’t.”

 

           Hye Sung talked even faster now.  Repeating on how Min Woo was such a fool trying to propose to him, when he knew he was going to reject him anyway.  Jun Jin tried his best to stay quiet and keep on listening to Hye Sung’s rambling.  Then one single dart managed to pass his face.  Apparently, Eric had managed to find the NERF he had been looking for.  Another trouble.  Jun Jin could see Eric was swinging the toy-weapon up in the air, grinning so widely for being proud being able to find it.  Again, Jun Jin massaged his temple and shook his head.  When would Eric understand how to behave in the time like this?   Eric was waving at him time and again, trying to get Jun Jin to play with him, but the Jun Jin ignored him.  When a dart successfully landed right on his hair, Jun Jin knew it was best for him to end his conversation with Hye Sung now, before things got worse.  He could not concentrate talking on the phone with Eric trying to shoot him here and there with the darts.  Just like NOW.  Before he even put out the dart off his hair, Eric had already aimed another one right on his forehead – which he managed to duck from it on time!!  Eric was really driving him MAD!!!  And before Hye Sung knew that he was with Eric at present, he better ended the conversation now, and tried to talk to him soon after he could control Eric’s behaviour.  That – if he could.

 

            “I’ll talk to you later then, Hyung,”  Jun Jin was putting an end to their conversation, “if you need me, just call me any time.  I’ll be there soon.”  He heard a little rumble from the other side till finally Hye Sung disconnected. 

 

            Jun Jin sighed in relief.  Now where was Eric?  Eric was hiding for sure, knowing he had finished talking on the phone, Eric should have known that he would get him for all the troubles just now.  “Hyung!!”  Jun Jin yelled to Eric.  “Do you know who I was calling???”

“I don’t CARE!!”  Eric answered in instant.  Still hiding.

          “It’s Hye Sung-hyung!!!  He just broke up with Min Woo-hyung.  I should show him some sympathy, but thanks to you, I was not able to do so!!!  Please, do you mind???”  Still yelling.  Could not see where Eric was now.

“I said I don’t care!!! It’s his own choice anyway!!!”

 

 Jun Jin sighed again.  Eric really did not care at all, did he?  “Fine.  But I beg you, please, when he called again, please, please, don’t DISTURB me!!!!”

No answer from Eric. 

 

          Jun Jin knew Eric could hear him.  Eric just did not want to answer yes that easily.  “Now, I’m going out to get my laundry.  Are you coming with me?  Or you prefer to stay here and play with those darts??”

          “COMING!!!”  This time Eric answered him.  Just when Jun Jin stood up to get his car key, a dart was shot and landed perfectly on his head.  He could feel his head heating now.  If it was not Eric, Jun Jin was pretty sure he would punch whoever did it, right on his face.  But it was Eric.  His hyung.  Sighed.

 

***

 

TO BE CONTINUED ~