WanDy: Finally found you

Book of FanFictions

                                      Story 10 WanDy-finally found you-          By -Fofolla-

Somewhere in Seoul is a small pastry shop; it’s not popular as almost no one goes there. If you see it from outside you won’t get attracted to it: the shop’s colour is old-fashioned, the location isn’t good either as it is situated close to a construction site, the people who live around are not good either, most of them are from some kind of gang; only the name may be good, “paradise”. Despite all those bad conditions, the chef in there does his work whole-heartedly; he lives just on top of the shop and every morning he has the same routine: he wakes up, takes a shower, takes a sip of coffee and heads down after getting dressed up; after opening the shop he would go to the backside room which is his own kitchen and there he would make his pastries.

      Other chefs or even workers might have already quit this useless work but for our chef it’s different....he loves his work and his shop more than himself. There are two people working in that shop, a couple, Kyung and Hani in addition to “shun” who helps the chef with making his pastries. The chef asked them numerous times to quit and find another job but they refused to give up that place; every time the chef told them “ you know it’s ok you’re not obliged to stay here” their answer was always “ chef, the day you quit your work and shut down this place we’ll go too”. Our chef really appreciated those words; it made him think that he wasn’t the only one cherishing that place.

Usually on Monday only one person goes to that shop and buys the one and only pastry he always buys: “Napoleon”, a French pastry.

Even though Andy is Korean, his chef skills will make you visit all the countries around the world: his co-workers often wonder why he didn’t go to another place, another place where he could be more popular; they knew the reason the day andy told them about that place and how much it meant for him.

             “I will never leave this place; not over my dead body”

Those were Andy’s words....he didn’t add anything to that.

That day, Andy was trying some new recipes when the shop’s door opened. Hani got startled and welcomed the costumer.....they got a costumer! A new one on top of that! She wanted to go tell the two guys about it but she calmed herself down and welcomed the gentleman. The man headed to the counter and was looking at the pastries on display; they looked so delicious and well-made that the man wanted to have them all.

“Excuse me, can I ask about this pastry here?”

H: oh sure, that’s a “Religieuse”, it is a French pastry.

C (customer): I see it looks delicious. Mmm what about this one here?

H: that one is French too; it’s called “éclair au chocolat”.

C: oh and what about this one with strawberries?

H: *giggle* guess you have an eye for French desserts!

C: oh is this one French too?

H: exactly, a “charlotte”, it’s my favourite.

C: oh that’s good; is your shop specialised in French pastries?

H: oh not at all; if you look here we have some British ones, German, and Korean too! Our chef went to France some years ago and he learnt different recipes there; so he kind of enjoys making them *smile*

C: I see that’s great; oh look at the time.....hmmm I’ll have the three pastries I saw just now please.

H: oh right away sir.

   The man went away after checking the bill; he looked quite pleased with his first visit which delighted Hani’s heart. She rushed to the kitchen after making sure that no customers were around.

H: Guys guys guess what! A customer came by!

K: oh but it’s not Monday today weird...

H: no not him! Another!!

Chef: oh! Really? Did he buy something?

H: yes chef he did! He bought the new pastries you made yesterday and he seemed to really enjoy them!

Chef: that’s great! May be we’re getting lucky?

S: ....why didn’t he buy mine....?

Chef: idiot *laugh* anyway we should work harder to have more customers then!

All: yes!

The day just went like that and soon shun, Hani and kyung went home. The chef stayed behind and enjoyed making new pastries. It was still early, around 4 pm, other shops were probably still open but for “paradise” it was pointless to wait anymore. The chef got his ingredients and was going to start his work when he suddenly heard the shop’s door open. He thought it was one of his friends who forgot something.

C (chef): kyung? Is that you?

“I’m sorry, it’s closed but I saw lights and well I....”

C: ah! Hello! It’s ok there weren’t any customers so we decided to close. What can I do for you?

“Well I came this morning and I bought some pastries from here and I really loved them!  Can I still buy?”

C: oh of course you can sir! I’m sorry we put everything back to its place; could you wait a little? I’ll get everything for you

“N-no! I mean you don’t have to bother yourself, I’ll just take....I forgot the name....it had strawberries......

C: mmm? A charlotte maybe?

“Yes!! That one exactly it was amazing! Would it be possible to have the recipe?

C: oh I was just going to make it!

“You mean you were the one who made them in the first place?!”

C: *chuckle* yes I was

“Oh! Would it be possible for you to give me the recipe?”

C: ....would you like to watch me do it? You’ll learn it better than from a paper *smile*

“Oh it’d be my pleasure. By the way my name is Kim Dongwan; I just started my work at an advertisement company nearby; and I’m also new to this town”

C: nice to meet you Mr. Kim, I’m Andy lee, I work here; actually I own this place.

D: that’s amazing! You look young but you’re already so successful!

A: successful not really *laugh*, we practically never have any customers....

Dongwan just kept silent and followed Andy as he headed to the kitchen; he kept watching every step made by Andy and was amazed at his speed and accuracy; Andy seemed to enjoy his work. After some time Andy was almost done with his work.

A: ok so just wait a few more minutes and they’ll be ready!

D: that’s amazing! I’ll try my best to make it at home! Thank you andy-ssi!

A: ah not at all! *ring ring* excuse me for a minute.......it was my friend, he said he was heading over here

D: ah I see I’ll get going then; thank you for everything!

A: .....would you like to stay? You said you were new here so maybe you’ll make new friends?

D: I-is it ok? I might disturb you...

A: don’t worry about that no one will mind *wink*

Few moments later Andy’s friends arrived, as soon as they saw Dongwan they were surprised.

“Andy-ah! We’re here!”

A: aish what’s that I thought you were the only one coming minwoo-hyung!

“Should we go back guys? He only needs minbongie”

A: *laugh* come in; everyone this is Mr. Kim Dongwan, my second customer! And here are my friends Eric, minwoo, Hyesung, Junjin.

D: n-nice to meet you everyone *bow*

M: it’s our pleasure.

H: I’m glad my baby got a new customer

J: *laugh* nice to meet you too!

A: guys he’s new in town, I was thinking of helping him get familiar; could you give him a hand?

J: oh leave it to us; between I’m starving anything to eat?

A: go look in the fridge *wink*

M: ahh jin-ah leave some for me!

Junjin and minwoo went to the fridge and came back with some desserts made by Andy.

E: how old are you?

D: ah? Ah I’m 26 years old

E: oh me too! Should be drop the formalities?

M: aish Eric-ah you just talked to him *munch**munch*

E: why not! It’d be easier to get along, also I like his style

H: please excuse this idiot; Eric minwoo and I have the same age as you and Junjin here is one year younger; let’s all get along well in the future

D: oh thank you very much!

A: and I’m two years younger yay I’m still young!

E: yaa!!! Do you mean we’re old!!

A: *merong* come let’s all eat!

The six guys sat down around a table and talked for a while; Dongwan noticed that Andy looked the best in two situations: when he cooks and when he’s with his friends.

 Dongwan’s work place was near Andy’s shop, that’s why everyday and every time he had some free time he would drop by and talk a little while enjoying one of Andy’s masterpieces. Eventually Dongwan became another friend of Andy’s.

D: ....Andy....can I ask you something?

J: oh he’s single don’t worry*grin*

D: wha-! *blush* I didn’t mean to ask-

M: pfff you’re so cute dongwannie

D: ah it’s....

A: Dongwan hyung go ahead don’t listen to these idiots

D: ah well I was wondering about your shop.....it has a big meaning to you right?

A: .......long ago, before my parents passed away in a car accident I used to come here every day; this was my parents’ shop, I remember my mom cooking in a corner and my dad on the other corner and I was just eating like an idiot *laugh*-

D: I-I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to....

A: ah it’s ok it’s all in the past; anyway I will never close or even destroy this place no matter the price I’m given.

D: I understand; mmmm.....why don’t you have many customers, it’s such an amazing shop after all...

H: yes, his shop is great but it’s not that known that’s why rarely anyone comes;

D: .......I think I can help you with this; but first we need to change some stuff.......Eric and Junjin? Can you do some investigation for me?

E: investigation? What kind of investigation?

D: ok here what I’m thinking about: we’ll inquire about the trend nowadays, not in the pastries but the decorations; I’m sorry Andy but your decoration is not that attractive; so by asking some girls I think we’ll move a little; sweets are usually liked by girls more than boys so......about the workers here I’m afraid we’ll need more than just two so someone like minwoo will help a lot-

M: like me?

D: oh you’re mature and cool I’m sure you’ll attract a lot of people

M: *grin*

J: woah I didn’t know you were a genius Dongwan-ssi!

D: no way not at all....and I was thinking for Hyesung but....never mind; anyway are you all ok?

All: yes!

E: but....what was your idea for Hyesung?

H: ah yes! If I can do anything I’ll be more than happy to help!

D: I’m afraid you won’t like the idea.....

H: mm? Which idea...

D: hyesungie you see you are.....cute...

H: *blush* well I would’ve preferred cool but thank you?

D: ........we’ll start with this before; we should get moving! While Junjin and Eric are away I’ll take some pictures can I Andy?

A: .....thank you Dongwan-ah....

D: *smile* not at all

M: woah you look so cute together!! You’ll make a great couple!

A: wha-! *blush*

M: eyy I’m kidding just kidding why are you getting all worked up....

A: I-I’m not!!

M: *mumble* you obviously are.....

Dongwan took out his camera and started taking pictures of the different pastries Andy made; he finished and waited for the others to arrive.

H: Dongwan?

D:mmm? What is it?

H: what was the work you were going to give me....?

D: *shock* ah I-it’s ok forget it...

H: tell me....

D: *sigh*....promise me you won’t get mad first

H: ???? I promise?

D: ok so ....i was thinking of you dressed up as a girl so that you could....attract male customer....

H: wha!!??? –

M: woahhhh that’s a great idea!!!! Please do it Hyesungie!!! Eric will LOOOVEE that!

H: ahh cut it out! Dongwan!! How could you think of that! I mean I’m a man!

D: I know that’s why I said to forget it already!

H: aish.....you’re weird! And minwoo! If you tell a word to Eric I’ll kill you!!

Hyesung looked at Andy who was smirking behind the counter.

H: you too Andy!!

 During that time Junjin and Eric went to some coffee shops nearby and started conversations with different persons, they kept asking about their likes and their taste in decoration.

M: oh you’re back! How did it go?

J: oh it was a success! Eric won some phone numbers with him, the girls were great too!

E: ah Hyesungie I swear it’s not what you think!

H: ya! Why are you telling me that am I your girl or something?

E: my man to be exact.....

H: ya!!

J: ah why are you shy we already know.....all except Dongwan......

M: dongwannie forgot to tell you; these two here are going out together!

D: *shock* *looks at Hyesung and Eric* for r-real...?

E: *nods* sorry you must be shocked

D: n-not at all I mean....I understand completely *wink*

Dongwan wasn’t shocked it was just too sudden; he didn’t mind the gender as long as the two persons were happy. They all sat down and talked about the matter of the shop; Eric tried to concentrate despite Hyesung’s glares on him.

E: so.... we talked with some girls and we concluded that they liked the warm and simple atmosphere.

A: warm and simple? Like what...?

M: warm and simple? Well as it’s going to be fall soon what about colours that match the season?

D: yes we could change the colours and- ah Andy I’m sorry maybe you don’t want to change anything....

A: no it’s ok I don’t mind; I’m sure it’ll be better with some renovation *wink*

After talking over for a while the day was already over; they all went home leaving Dongwan and Andy closing the shop.

A: .....would you like to have a cup of c-coffee?

D: y-ye?! A yes s-sure

    It was the first time Andy invited Dongwan to his own house; after climbing the stairs they went inside the small and cosy house. Dongwan took his shoes off and looked around for a while; the walls were paint in clear blue colour; the living room was small and the furniture was black coloured and old; the kitchen was amazing though: it had a lot of utensils, a big stove, and a modern and big fridge too. Dongwan asked for the bathroom and went there while Andy was busy making coffee. He walked a little and reached the bathroom; after washing his hands he came back and on his way he saw a slightly-open room; he moved closer and knew it was the bedroom.....Andy’s bedroom; for a while he felt weird but shook his head and joined Andy again. The coffee was ready so they both sat down; Dongwan noticed frames all over the place and they had always the same persons: a man a woman and a little child.

A: those were my parents and me *smile*; people often told me that I take after my mom and I guess they were right.

D: ....I’m sorry I shouldn’t have...

A: oh don’t worry about it I swear; it’s been ages now! I’m used to it so don’t worry about it

Dongwan felt bad for Andy and just focused on his coffee; after finishing it in silence and as he was going to get up he tripped and fell over on Andy. Andy had his coffee all spilled on him and in panic Dongwan took a tissue and tried to clean it off when he realised his hands were touching Andy’s..... part.  He took off his hands brusquely and felt his face getting hotter. He apologised and was going to run away when he hit his foot to the nearing cupboard.

D: ouch!

A: D-Dongwan are you ok?

D: *sigh* I’m sorry I.....I didn’t mean to....t-touch you there.....

A: it’s ok don’t worry; it was only an a-accident *blush*

The two felt a heavy atmosphere fall on them and they were at a loss of words; after calming down for a minute Dongwan got up and went for real this time.

The next day Andy woke up and as he went t the bathroom he saw the pant he didn’t wash yesterday and realised again that it wasn’t a dream. He took a cold shower to calm down again and headed to the shop. It was Monday and he knew his customer would be coming like usual. He went to the kitchen and started making some “Napoleons”. After some time the man arrived and because Hani and kyung were absent he was the one who served him. Just after the customer went out minwoo came in and gave him the pictures Dongwan took yesterday; apparently he printed some and thought it’d be good to use them outside the shop. Minwoo sat down and talked with Andy for a while. He noticed that Andy was spacing out.

M: Andy-ah where are you~

A: ah sorry I was spacing out. Thank you for the pictures. Dongwan must’ve been busy for not being able to come.

M: actually he said it was his day off....maybe he had plans; anyway I’m free for this upcoming three months so can I help here?

A: oh! That’d be great! Thank you!

The next day the shop was closed temporarily; Andy had called some agency and started with the renovations; it took him two weeks and during all that time he hadn’t heard anything about Dongwan; he just knew that he was asking his friends to give Andy things concerning work. He had opened a web page for his shop and was just waiting for some pictures of the renovated shop to make it run. Andy really appreciated that and knew that an online site would help a lot. But still one thing was bothering him.....Dongwan.

A: Eric....

E:mm? What is it?

A: do you know where Dongwan works?

E: Dongwan? Yes I do why do you ask?

A: can you take me there?

E: ......sure but let me finish with this first.

A: finish with.....isn’t that Dongwan’s camera?

E: yes it is he said he had something to do so he asked me to do this but....how the hell does this thing works anyway!

A: ........like this......

Andy switched the camera on and went outside the shop; the renovations were over and the shop was brand new now; the name “paradise” was shining on top of the building and the colours were good both inside and outside.  Andy should’ve felt happy and proud; actually yes he did feel that.....he just had to check on something.

After Eric finished with the pictures he went with him to dongwan’s company; they went in and finally found Dongwan’s office.

D: A-Andy!? W-what are you doing here-

A: hello Dongwan; it’s been a while.

Eric put the camera on dongwan’s desk and stepped out to leave the two of them have a little talk. Dongwan was feeling awkward and guilty for some reason and Andy just sat down.

A: how are you Dongwan?

D: I-I’m fine and you...?

A: ....I’ll get straight to the point. Are you avoiding me by any chance? Or no, WHY are you avoiding me would be the best question; did I perhaps do something to piss you off?

D: ......I- I finished the web page I-I’ll send it to you later on your email....

Andy confirmed his worries...Dongwan was really avoiding him; he felt hurt without knowing why; he tried to recall what might have made Dongwan act that way but nothing could come to his mind; he looked at Dongwan and felt his heart aching; he got up and headed to the door after looking back once.

Few days passed by and Andy’s shop grew more popular now; a lot of people have heard of it as they visited the web site but the shop was still closed. Andy told his four friends (minwoo, Junjin, Eric and Hyesung) that he would organise an opening party the next day and that everyone was free to come take a look. The four all had the next day-Tuesday- free and volunteered to help Andy and he gladly accepted.

That night, at around 1am after work, Andy couldn’t close his eyes-like every 15th of June-. He got up as he heard the door’s bell; at his surprise his friends were there with both alcohol and snacks. As he saw them, a big smile got drawn on his face.....he really needed someone to lean on at that moment and they knew it perfectly. They talked all night and didn’t shut an eye; Andy was quite drunk and so was Eric; they kept babbling about things and Eric was clinging to Hyesung while Andy was talking about how much he missed the three people. Junjin who was the best at holding his liquor asked Andy about it.

J: Andy? Who is the third person you miss?

A: .....that jerk *hiccup*.....jerk...

J: who are you referring to Andy!

A: y’ knaw *hiccup* donwan.....

J: ah!

Junjin knew that Dongwan had been avoiding Andy for some reason that all of them ignored and he couldn’t say anything to help Andy feel better....especially today.

The next day arrived and all of them woke up with a heavy headache -except Junjin-; he helped them make some breakfast to get over their hangover and they headed to the shop for the opening party.  They organised everything and were now waiting to open the doors. Andy was feeling kind of down. His friends noticed that and tried their best to make him cheer up a little. Some minutes later Andy made sign to his friends to open the doors. Soon people started to come one by one and the shop was getting lively. They were all busy serving the customers and Andy was smiling and greeting everyone around him. People looked like they enjoyed his pastries a lot and that made Andy really glad. He was looking all around, searching for one person....he really wished to see that person right there right now; unfortunately no sign. Some hours passed and the party was coming to an end; everyone went away and promised to be regular in the shop from that day onwards. Andy bowed and sent his future customers off and went back to the kitchen while his friends were busy cleaning.

Minwoo looked around as he heard the shop’s door open. He was going to say that the party was over when he saw a familiar figure at the door.....Dongwan. Dongwan looked like he ran given the fact that he was sweating all over. Minwoo looked at him and moved closer to him.

M: long time no see....

D: minwoo-ah....I’m sorry I...I’ll apologise properly lat-

M: you’re an idiot you know that? Do you how worried Andy was? And.....he needed you the most these past days but why weren’t you beside him! Do you really call yourself his friend?

Minwoo was really furious at Dongwan and wanted to just punch him for being that stupid but hitting him wouldn’t change anything.....Junjin came in between the two of them and asked minwoo to leave them. Minwoo did.

J: .......17 years ago Andy lost his parents on a car accident; today is the date of their death.....he wanted to make it the opening date of his shop’s opening too so that he could make his parents happy from above....yesterday he kept talking about you Dongwan.....he said how much he missed his parents but also you....I think you should go see him....

Dongwan stood there completely motionless, what Junjin just told him had never crossed his mind. He was feeling guilty and bad for Andy and wanted to see him as soon as possible. Junjin understood that and showed the kitchen with his hand. Dongwan headed there and pushed the door slowly; there he saw Andy sitting on the floor in the dark room. Andy had shut all the windows and was kneeling down on the cold floor; Dongwan rushed to him and hugged him tight. Andy was shocked when he recognised the person embracing him; he wanted to push him away and blame him for all the past days he was absent but his mind was just blank and all he could do was cry his heart off. He was missing his parents so bad; their scent, their laughter, their tenderness.....

“Andy-ah everything will be fine now.....you’re not alone Andy-ah..... I’m sure your parents are both proud of you right now and that they will watch over you forever...”

Andy kept listening to Dongwan’s words.....the words he had always wanted and needed to hear;  Andy had closed his eyes, listening to Dongwan’s heartbeat and feeling his warmth; he wasn’t asleep but wasn’t awake either; in his mind was a vision of his parents....he saw them coming to him from far, holding hands and laughing happily; now he was face to face with his parents, his mom was looking at him with a big and bright smile; his dad patted him on the head and his mom kissed him on his forehead. As he opened his eyes Andy saw Dongwan and felt his lips on his forehead.

“Andy-ah I’m sorry I wasn’t here for you...I didn’t know how to tell you this but now I’m ready...Andy-ya I love you, not like a friend and not like a person I just met...I love you as a lover.” 

Andy felt himself still dreaming; he felt such happiness that his tears just started to fall down. He wanted to tell him the same things but words just couldn’t come out of his mouth; he got up and moved closer to Dongwan and kissed him lightly on the lips. Andy remembered his father’s words when he was small and was glad he finally found it.

                                  “My son, you have to live your life to the fullest and do everything from the bottom of your heart, like that one day you’ll find your true happiness”