RicMin: 2nd Chance part.1

Book of FanFictions

 

Story 5:  RicMin – 2nd Chance - by:  LADYERROR

 

“Yes, well,”  Min Woo sighed.  “I’ll call you later.”

           Min Woo hung his phone call.  He had been busy since early in the morning.  Receiving calls, making appointments, rescheduling lots of timetable, while waiting for his ‘boss’ to arrive at his office.  It was such a hectic day in his company, since in just a week later, his company – he worked in an advertising company – would hold an award night.  An award night that so glamour with many star-studded celebrities to attend the biggest event of the year.  He closed his eyes, giving his brain a rest for about ten seconds, not more – even if he wished he could give more time – to reboot his mind and back to focus.  Actually, he did not mind to make himself busy like this, he was glad he still had a job to work on, he had a younger sister to support, and they did not have their parents around anymore.  Min Woo had learned in every possible way to be grateful with what he had now.  The job he had might often be frustrating, but he was very grateful, he could still earn some money out of it.  Today he had to concentrate his mind to create an opening speech for his boss.  His annoying boss.  To have a difficult job was one matter, but to have a difficult superior was another huge thing.  His boss was famous with his unbelievable demands, uncompromised deadline and he disliked arguments.  He would never accept a failure for whatever reasons, and Min Woo had witnessed many turnovers happen in this company just because of small unimportant matters.  No matter how much Min Woo disliked his boss, he still needed his job as his assistant.  Now. Began.

 

          Min Woo opened his eyes, then as fast as the lightning, he typed the name list of people who would be mentioned in the speech and those who had to be thanked for.  The list was about ten lines – and more, but it was better to be safe and include everyone possible.  He then emailed the list with a big title of the mailbox: “SpeechUrgent!” then he jumped out of his seat.

“Min Woo!” Just before he left his desk, Eun Hye stopped him.  She was a freelancer in the company, and was quite closed to Min Woo.

Godzilla has come.  And he doesn’t look happy.”  She gulped.  “Perhaps I should go away for a while.”

 

          ‘Godzilla’ was a nickname for Eric Mun Jung Hyuk.  The big boss of the company.  He owned a network of ten luxurious hotels, lived in Gangnam prestigious area, and with a height over than 180cms.  Min Woo knew very well he came today to check on his speech, as he was the one who would be opening the event.  There was a reason why everyone was alerted with his coming.  His mood was unpredictable.  One day he would come in such a pleasant attitude, another day he would come and act just like a jerk.

           “It’s okay.  Don’t worry.  He’s here to look for me.”  //I’m his assistant anyway.//  “I’ve to go now.  I should welcome him.”  Min Woo was back to the alley.  He looked around the full-of-people office.  Eric Mun would be right here on the same floor within a minute.  Min Woo rushed himself to the only lift accessing to that floor, and as he already guessed, the lift sounded and opened its door automatically.  There inside was the one and only Eric Mun, staring at him with a killing glare.  Min Woo instantly knew he was in a big trouble.

 

“Everything alright?”  Eric asked with such an ignorant manner.  He threw his bag to Min Woo who caught it right away. 

“Fine, Eric-nim.  Everything’s fine.”  Eric was walking fast towards his private office with Min Woo followed close by.

“How’s my speech?” 

“Done, Sir.  I’ve emailed it to you.  You can check later from your cellphone.”

 

           They arrived in Eric’s huge office with a minimalist look – since Eric disliked putting too much decoration inside the room.  Eric took off his suit and threw it to Min Woo, who again caught it fast.  He threw himself on the large couch placed in the middle of the room.

“Coffee.  Black.  No sugar.”

          “Yes, Sir.”  Min Woo rapidly hung the suit and placed Eric’s bag carefully to their place.  He popped his head outside and ordered the office girl who had been ready there.  When he returned to where Eric was, he could see his boss was busy checking on his cellphone.  Apparently he was reading the email Min Woo just sent him.

 

“Have you made sure there was none left in the thank you list?” 

           The question that Min Woo had always been afraid of.  If ever one person was missing or left behind, Min Woo even did not dare to imagine what would happen to his career.  He had been making the same list for four years continuously, yet he was still scared he would make a mistake and leave someone important behind.  “Yes, Sir, I double checked.”

 

           Eric did not say anything.  Not even a nod.  Suddenly his cellphone beeped.  Eric stood up and moved himself away to get more privacy.  He picked it up and Min Woo could see he was talking seriously with someone on the other side.  After couple of minutes, their conversation finally ended.  Again Eric threw his cellphone to Min Woo, who managed to catch it in time.  Min Woo remembered the last he failed to catch anything from Eric’s hand, he had to suffer Eric scolding him for hours.  He would never let it happen again.

 

“I have to go now.  Make sure the sound system on the place tomorrow working well.  I don’t want to sound like a growling hungry dragon on the stage.” 

          “Yes, Sir.”  When Eric said he was leaving, it was a cue for Min Woo to prepare Eric’s things and send them to his car.  So Min Woo quickly took the cellphone and inserted it into Eric’s bag and took out Eric’s suit and gave it to him.  Eric put it on and was ready to leave when Min Woo’s call stopped him.

 

“Eric-nim.”  Min Woo’s voice sounded with hesitation. “I need to ask you something.”

“What is it?” 

“I-I just want to ask about my permission slip to take a leave for three days.  I gave you two weeks ago.  Did you approve it?”

 

Eric looked at him in confusion.  Though he said nothing, Min Woo could tell that the man disliked his question.  “Why are you leaving?”

          “I-I- well, it’s about my sister.  She’s been sick for a while, and she needs to go through an operation.  I just want to be by her side to accompany her.  Just for three days.”  As far as Min Woo could remember, he never took off days during his working in this place.  And most of the times, he also worked during the weekends, so he was really hoping Eric would give him the permission he needed.

 

“When will it be?”  Eric asked in return.

“I’ll start tomorrow, Sir, so by the time the event started, I’m already BACK to work.”  Min Woo hoped his explanation could be accepted.

“NO.”  Eric shortly answered.

 

What?  Why?

“But, Sir, it’s URGENT.  I promise you I’ll be BACK soon.”  Min Woo pleaded.

          “I said ‘NO’, and it’s final.”  Eric continued his stepping out.  Min Woo had no choice other than to follow him by.  “I need you NOW more than ever.  The event will be starting in one-week time, and if you leave your job now, no one would take responsibility.  So ‘NO’.”

“But, Sir, I’ll make sure I delegate all my task to the team.  They’re more than capable to do it.”

 

            Eric halted.  He glared at Min Woo.  Min Woo knew Eric was going to be MAD at him.  No one had ever opposed him before.  A single ‘no’ meant ‘NO’.  A simple as that.  “Do I have to repeat myself again?”  He looked into Min Woo’s eyes coldly.

 

Min Woo bent his head and shook it.

“So this is FINAL, Min Woo-ssi.  If I caught you absent from you work in any time now, I expect your resignation letter on my desk.  It that clear?”

 

This time Min Woo nodded his head.

          “Fine.  No need to send me to my car.”  He grabbed his bag from Min Woo, pressed the lift’s button and a moment later the lift arrived and opened its door for him.  “Keep me updated.”

 

           Min Woo bowed down right before the lift door closed again and took Eric in it.  He closed his eyes for a moment and reminded himself not to hold grudge to his boss.  He really had this urge to delete Eric’s face from his mind.  No matter how upset he was, he had to hold on.  He had to keep his job for the sake of his sister.  His sister was ill, and her medication was not cheap.  He tried his best to remember his sister’s face who had also brightened up his life.  A face – that no matter what happen – never failed to make his world make sense.  He imagined her soft face, black hair, big eyes, laying on the bed, waiting for him to bring her a miracle.  He had to find a way to make Eric permit him to be by his sister’s side on the day she needed him the most.  He had to.

 

***

 

            Eric sipped his beer.  Just broke up with the woman he had been dating for two months.  Yup, only for two months.  Eric never had a relationship that last longer than one month usually.  This one was slightly better, but Eric knew he would dump her in the end.  Nobody seemed to understand him and his needs, so why would stay with each other?  Such a waste of time.

 

            The bar was definitely quieter than usual.  Eric could sight only several shadows in the loud noise bar – as if anyone here cared to listen to the music.  They came here for a reason that more and less was similar to his.  To forget what had been going on the REAL life.  But it was not the only reason Eric came there – he came there to laugh at other’s people misery life.  A bar was a place where he could easily spot people with regret, misery and other kinds of resentful feeling.  Like tonight, he would find such a person and observed him or her.  But he was going to be disappointed as he could see no many people were there.  There was even only one person sitting at the bar with him, yet this person really attracted him.  Eric could sense something really weird with this person.  He could see this man was really good looking, even though he hid his eyes behind those black sunglasses, but Eric could tell the man had a really wonderful face features.  If he were a female, he was sure he would do anything to get his attention.  But, waitA pair of sunglassesIn the middle of a dark room?  How weird he was.  Not only that, this man was wearing all white: white suit, white shirt, white pants and a pair of white shoes.  What was he thinking?  Was he attending a funeral before he came here?  But Eric could not see any glimpse of sadness from his face.  The man was drinking his water calmly.  WaterWhat kind of man ordered a glass of mineral water in a bar?  Eric’s head was soon full of questions about this weird looking guy who sat couple of chairs away from him. 

 

             While Eric was busy looking at that man – clearly – to his surprise, the said man diverted his eyes to him.  He gave an instant smile to Eric once their eyes locked each other.  “Did I bother you?”  He asked with a husky voice.

             Eric just smirked.  //Aside from your appearance – No.//  Eric shook his head.  From his observation, Eric could tell this man came from a wealthy background.  The clothes he was wearing was definitely expensive and branded.  “You don’t drink?”  Eric’s eyes rolled to the man’s glass.

 

“I don’t,” he answered, “I’m HERE for someone.”

          //As if I want to know.//  Eric sipped his drink again.  He was about to get his wallet out and pay for his drink, when the man continued his word, “I’m waiting for YOU, Eric Mun.”

 

Eric was surprised.  He paused for a while before he returned his gaze to the man.  Did he know him?  How could this man tell his name?

          The man took off his glasses, and Eric could see the hidden eyes.  They were so sharp, and when those pair of eyes diverted to him, Eric could feel his soul was sunk in.  Then the man gave him a smile.  “My name is Junjin.”

 

“Do I know you?”

Junjin shook his head.  “But NOW you know.”

Eric fixed his seat.  Now he was sitting facing the man named Junjin.  “What do you WANT from me?”

Junjin was still smiling.  He did not answer Eric immediately.  He turned to his glass and took another sip.  “Later you’ll see what I want from you.”

          Eric was about to ask him another question, but then his cellphone was ringing.  He quickly reached for it and answered the call.  “Yes?”  Eric could tell the call was coming from his assistant, who was no other than Min Woo.  Now what?

 

***

 

Min Woo was so confused that he could not answer anything.  He just got a call from the hospital where his sister was staying. 

         “We’re sorry to say, but your sister just got a slight heart attack.  She is stable for now, but we’re afraid we have to do the operation much sooner than we’ve planned.  We have to do it tomorrow.”

           Min Woo was panic.  The plan was to have the operation two days later, not tomorrow.  He had not got his permission to leave from Eric yet, and Eric had warned him if ever he left without his consent, Eric would definitely fire him.  But he knew he had no other choice.  “Fine.”  He finally answered.  “But how about the medical fee?  Do I have to pay it after the operation or before?”  Min Woo was worried about this matter too.  He was merely a worker.  Financial wise, he did not have much money.  He just hoped his saving was enough.

“Hospital might want you to save some guarantee.  But yes, you have to pay some amount of money before the medics proceed.”

Min Woo was at a loss of words.

 

***

 

“Eric-nim, it’s me, Min Woo.”

“I know. Speak up.  Better be IMPORTANT that you’re calling me this late.”

“I-I really need the permission to leave tomorrow, Sir.  It’s URGENT.  My sister needs to go on her operation tomorrow.  Please, sir.”

 

Eric sighed.  He clearly disliked this conversation. “What did I tell you this morning?”

          “I know, Sir.  I’m terribly SORRY.”  Min Woo wanted to cry now.  “But I really have NO choice.  Please, Sir.  I promise you I’ll be back to work soon.  And I’ll DOUBLE my working hours.  Please, Sir, I beg you.”

 

           Eric sighed again.  Min Woo would keep on pleading to him like this until he permitted him to go, wouldn’t he?  Though it was unusual for him to give in to someone’s else demand, Eric finally gave his approval – for the sake of avoiding ear transplant cause by Min Woo’s never-ending nagging.  “Fine.  But if you don’t come back in two days’ time, don’t even bother to RETURN to the company!”  Final WARN.

 

“Yes, Sir.  Thank you so much, Sir.”

Eric was about to hang up the call when he heard another plea coming out from Min Woo’s voice.

“Eric-nim?  One-one more thing.”  Min Woo was stuttering, “can I borrow some money?”

 

           What??  Eric could feel his blood coming up to his head.  Who the hell did Min Woo think himself?  How dare he asked for more money?  Eric believed he gave enough – more than ENOUGH.  He was so offended that he remained silent.

 

           “Sir, I’m very sorry to ask you this.  But I really need the money to PAY for the operation.  I promise I’ll return the money soon to you.  Doubled if I have to.”  Min Woo prayed Eric would be kindhearted enough to grant his wish.

 

//I must teach him a lesson.  Who does he think he is?  Giving order to an Eric Mun?//  “Fine.” 

 

Min Woo could not believe what he heard for a few seconds.  Did Eric just agree?  Did Eric just say yes?  “Thank you, Sir, thank you so-“

“On one condition.”  Eric continued before Min Woo could finish thanking him.  “You came here at once, get your money directly from me.”

“Sure, Sir, I’ll be there right away, just INFORM me where you are.”  Min Woo quickly responded.

          “I will text you.  But just to let you know, you have to beg on your knee to me in public, then I’ll give you the money you want.”  Eric could hear a long pause.  “Can you do that?  If you can’t, then don’t bother to come.”

 

Eric waited for another second before finally Min Woo answered him, “I can. I will, Sir.”

          Eric smirked.  “Then come.  I give you thirty minutes.  If you’re late, don’t bother to look for me.”  He hung up and texted a message.  Eric was quite satisfied.  Tonight he was going to watch some dramatic show for free – well, not so free.  He had to give to some to his annoying assistant eventually, but he would be satisfied.

 

“That’s not so nice of you.” 

           A comment just successfully attracted Eric’s attention.  Eric looked at to the commenter who was no other than the man in white.  Did he mention his name was Junjin?  “Excuse me.  WHO are you again?

 

           A bright smile crossed his face, and his eyes glittered.  He was truly beautiful, and Eric was mesmerized by the pools of his eyes.  "I've told you my name," he said, drawing out the word, "should I repeat my name again?"

           "Maybe you should," Eric said, "but I don't care what's your name anyway."  He put his cellphone right beside his unfinished drink.  "Did you just listen to my conversation?  If you did, how rude of you."  

             Junjin gave him a princely nod, "I can't help it.  You talk quite loudly, actually."

            "Still," Eric looked at him, "it was not your RIGHT to listen to it, and honestly, I don't like it."

            "And honestly, I DON'T like you either."
 

             Eric was surprised, for the first time in his life, he met someone who was dare enough to tell him right on his face that he did not like the almighty Eric.  "Oh," Eric replied, "Thanks so much.  As if I care whether you like me or not."

             "You need to learn kindness," the white shirt man continued.  He was tracing his finger around the mouth of the glass he had been using, back and forth slowly.  "You need to learn a lesson.  You need to learn to appreciate more.  I can be your teacher."
 


             Eric almost could not hold himself not to laugh at the man's words. "Sure.  I'm warning you, though.  I'm a very bad student.  And I hope you're not a sore teacher."  Eric strongly suspected that the man was a terribly sore loser, and he was already planning to throw his game.  "So when do we start?"

            "Like you've said.  Thirty minutes later."

 

             What?  What did he mean?

             Junjin looked at the watch he was wearing - even his watch was white coloured.  "While waiting, why don't you sit down and relax as much as possible?"  Junjin smiled again to him.  

 

             Eric was puzzled.  There was something unexplainable from this man, yet he failed to know what.  But whatever it was, Eric certainly disliked it.  This was the only man he met in his life that was uncontrollable by him.  Usually people who met him - even for only once and the first time - would develop some kind of fear inside them.  But this man was far from it.  And if truth to be told, it was Eric who began to feel insecure to face him.

 

              Just then, Junjin stared right into Eric's very eyes, and all of the sudden, Eric felt the ground beneath him started to shake.  As if there was an earthquake happening and Eric held on tightly to the bar table before him.  He looked back in horror to Junjin who was still sitting on his seat calmly and observing him panicking.  Eric looked around him.  He could see none of other people there feel the same way as he was.  Then it came to his consciousness, something in him - his face and body - was changing.  There was a mirror wall behind the bartender's place right in front of the seat he was sitting on.  Eric's limb was aching with fatigue; he could barely pull himself from his seat.  When he looked at the mirror, his black ebony hair had gone white, his eyes sunken, and his skin - had fully grown white fur.  His hands shake from a constant throb of anxiety.  Eric wanted to cry out loud and scream for help, but his voice seemed to disappear, even before he let it out of his mouth.  The keening, inconsolable consciousness he had slowly but sure was slipping away.  Eric closed his eyes and fell into oblivion.
 


***
 


               Did not know how long he had been losing consciousness, Eric eventually opened his eyes again.  He was being punished.  He somehow knew that.  The man he saw earlier had to be the one who made this happen.  There was NO OTHER explanation.  Somehow, that man in white had done something HORRIBLE, but Eric could not figure out what - else than making him LOSE his consciousness.  Did he rob him?  Did he drug his drink when he was taking Min Woo's call?  If he did, then it was all Min Woo's fault.  Eric would make sure Min Woo pay for this.  Now where was that man?
 


               Eric could sight the man was not moving since the last time he remembered.  Junjin was still on his seat, enjoying his drink, while once in a while, returning his gaze to the place Eric was sitting.  He was surprised when he saw Junjin was smiling at him.  "You're awake."

               Eric was MAD now.  That man thought he was a fool, didn't he?  He would teach him a lesson he would never forget.  He was about to stand up on his feet and give Junjin a big blow of punch right on his face, when he realized he was paralyzed.  He could move at all - not even an inch!  To his horror, he tried to move his hands and see what was happening, but his arms were not moving also.  It was like he had turned himself into a statue.  What had happened?  Then it HIT him.  Eric glanced to the mirror right in front of him.  If he could scream, he had screamed his lungs out.  There he saw his reflection had transformed.  He had changed into a huge TEDDY BEAR.  A huge teddy bear sitting powerless on the chair.  How could this happen?
 


                "Shall we start your lesson?"  Said Junjin.  He jumped down from his seat and peered at him.  "Look at you.  How adorable!"  Junjin gave him a big hug as he pressed himself hard enough into his chest.  Then he gave Eric a kiss right on his head.  "I could HUG you for the whole day!"

                 NOOOOOO!!!!
 


***

 

TO BE CONTINUED ~