Protection

Kookie and Blank JI

Before she can react and scream, a hand reached out and caught the insect that swore to terrorise her to bits. She relaxed and looked his way, but he looked at the camera instead. She followed his gaze and merged back to the recording, he relaxed and looked at her from the corner of his eyes, making sure she was free from more insects attack.

 

She always acted strong in front of the them, but he caught her wiping tears when she thought she was alone, when it got too tough for her. His heart went out to the petite woman, who would not. He knew she hated to show her weak side and preferred all of them to see her as an equal, all of them did, she was one powerful and determined woman, not to mention the luckiest woman he knew.

 

They continued play the games, she gave it all but they still lost to the guests, ShinHwa, she was a bit disappointed, so he gave her a pat on her head, “Don’t worry, we will get them the next time,” he whispered into her ears. She looked at him and smiled, sealing their secret pact between them.

 

2 years later, ShinHwa came back full force together with Zea:, they are to determine who were the real men among the three groups of men and she supposed to be the MC. He wondered whether he remembered their pact but he did and he was determine to win the games for her. He purposely refused her to be seated in the same car, and let her sat with Zea:. In the car, he told the rest he wanted to win the games today as a revenge to that regretful lost 2 years ago, the rest agreed to his proposal.

 

For the rest of the day, all the running men worked hard to be the first. Ji Hyo tried to be impartial but could not help cheering her favourite team on, she was especially tense when Jong Kook was in the mud pool. She had seen him leaped a little that day and thought he may not to well, but still he wrestled in the pool the longest, trying to outlast the 2 Zea: members and kicked them out of the games, but atlas he was too tired and could not oust any one of the two out.

 

The last game, he was all drained, he could not help his team win, instead he had been a burden and they lost the game because of him. But it turned out to be something lucky too. Ji Hyo managed to draw out all plus and the running man was the overall winner, they were given a medal with gold inside, as MC, Ji Hyo had none but he thought she totally deserved the prize. So when the recording was done, he quietly pull her aside and past her the gold.

 

“Oppa, it yours! You earned it and you totally kept your promise you made two years ago.” she said.

 

“You remembered too!” Jong Kook said. “I did the games because I promised you the revenge and your MC was zzang, so i thought you deserve something. Here, take it.” He pushed the tiny medal into her hands.

 

“Thanks Oppa,” she squealed, “You’re the best. But are you ok? I saw you leaping a little just now.”

 

“I am ok,” he tried to reassured her he is fine. “I am Kim Jong Kook, ok,” he tried to show off his muscles and she broke into giggles. “You did good today.” he tried to change the topic and praise her performance.

 

“Did I Oppa? The Shinhwa team even helped me host some portion. I thought I am too boring and not entertaining enough.” she told him his worry.

 

“But that is you, so if you act natural, people will get to know you better and you will get more relax. I like it, powerful.” he tried to console her, then he acted cheeky, “you managed to control 18 guys and none of them dare to play punk, not a lot of people can do this.”

 

Ji Hyo immediately protest.”Oppa!” she wanted to pout, she did not know why she wanted to do it in front of him.   They walked towards the changing room, “I am hungry, why don’t they feed us dinner.” she grumbled.

 

“Come on, you do not like the food they feed you.” he laughed. “Ok, how about Oppa treat you to something nice.”

 

She stopped, “Oppa, are you sure it not chicken and grass?” she teased.

 

“Chicken, maybe, definitely we need some green, but we eat something nice.” he reassured her, “How about we go about in my car?” she nodded and quickly disappeared into changing room, he too took a quick shower and both of them had sent their managers back. In the changing room, Jong Kook asked the rest if they wanted to join Ji Hyo and him for dinner. The rest could not make it, they already had some appointment.

 

Both of them end up in a restaurant near Ji hyo’s apartment, Ji Hyo missed their food seafood noodle and black bean noodle. “Oh no, i wanted to eat both and also the this, this, this, this, this and this! I cant possible eat all these!” then she used her best puppy’s brown eyes and  looked at Jong Kook.

 

Jong Kook smiled, then acted exxaggeratedly, “If I must,” he sighed loudly.

 

“Oh, come on, Oppa, you like some of the food too!’ exclaimed Ji Hyo, then jong Kook broke into chuckles and agreed to Ji Hyo’s choice of selection. The food came quickly and both of them tucked in all the food that was on the table, Ji hyo let out a content sigh.

 

“This is the best! A great tasting and fulfilling meal after a day of hard work.” Ji Hyo sipped her cup of coffee and her face filled with contentment. She stretched herself and rested her head on the hands, “mmmmm, I can sleep here”

Jong Kook took a sip of his green tea, and felt equally contented,” I know what you meant, but i would need to go gym afterwards. Come on, don’t sleep here, let me send you home.” the sleepy Ji Hyo rose up like a zombie and followed Jong Kook to his car. Before she can buckle up the seat belt,  she already felt asleep. Jong Kook was busy starting the car, and he noticed that there was no activity from the woman beside him, he turned and saw the sleeping Ji Hyo. She was not buckled so he stretched across her to grab the seat beat.

 

He was not prepared at the close proximity, he could smell her shower gell been so close to her, he could see her eyelashes resting comfortably on her cheeks, he could see her rosy pink lips tempting him, he found it hard to resist the temptation and wanted to taste her. But she switched her position and now she was leaning on him instead.

 

He could felt her warmth, he was never this close to her, even when they were hugging each other, he tried to keep a distance, his heart was now racing at 20000 light years, and his cheeks felt warm. He gently laid her back to the seat and grab the seat belt to buckle her, then he quickly drove off to her apartment, hoping the drive would ease whatever thoughts he had.

 

The drive, however, was too short, Ji Hyo was not showing signs of waking up, in fact, she looked like she had deepened her sleep. He gently tried to wake her up but she did not even stirred. He was at a lost, he can’t her home and sleeping in the car was not good either. The only way was to bring her back home.

 

When they reached his apartment, he gently carried her and let himself into his dark apartment, his parents apparently had slept, he opened his door and put her on his bed. He remembered his mum just changed the sheets and it should be clean enough. He then covered her with blankets, luckily she did not put on any make up, he thought. He gave it a thought and decided against going to gym, he did some stretching exercises, had another shower, then he laid down on the couch in his living room. He was very tired and soon fell asleep.

 

The morning sun shone warmly on his face, he stirred, and found it early in the morning. He could hear his mum in the kitchen, he then remember the sleeping woman in his room, and quickly jumped up to find his mum.

 

“Omma, I bought Ji Hyo back home last night.” his mum’s eye was as round as the plates she was washing. “She fell asleep in my car and i could not wake her up,” he quickly explained. “I left her in my room,” his mum nodded, that had explained why his son was in the living room last night. “Mm… i think i need a jog, a quick one, in case she woke up. But if she did before i am back, please ask her to wait for me?” his mum nodded again and he quickly went off. He needed the jog to clear his mind about last night.

 

Although Ji Hyo was friendly, she was also a warily girl, they took very long to get to know each other, both been a bit resistant to know new people, sticking to their own circles. He discovered he had loved Ji Hyo only when she suddenly announced her relationship with her CEO. His heart had burnt that day, he had to give himself a lot of prep talks to be able to record the first program after the news. But it didnt stop him from getting closer to her, knowing her more and be there for her when she broke up. Lifes went on, they stayed as great friends and colleagues, he did not move forward, frankly, that was not his style, and neither did she. As far as he knew, she was too busy for a love life, which as complete fine with him.

 

He was on his third round, his thoughts was still meddled. Now both of them seemed to have stood still, MC moved on, she moved on, but yet the relationship between them was still remaining as what it was. Maybe it time they moved on too, from friends to  something.. Something more intimate. He stopped dead in his track, he could felt his heart leaped with happiness at that thought. He had been in denial or too long, what if she was waiting for him and he was letting her down, by not making the first move. Even if he was totally unsure of what to do, he could not see her wither for him, he had two clear choice, to let her in or move her out. A life without her, he could not imagine, but he wanted, no he needed, to know how she felt. He turned to run towards his home.

 

She apparently was still sleeping when he reached home, he wondered did she trust him too much. He gave his room a knock and waited for any movement within the room, there was none, he opened a small opening and found the woman still where he left her. He was in need of his clothes so he sneaked into his room and took some clothes for showering.

 

He patiently waited for her to wake up, it wasn't till at 1 pm that he heard his door opened, a woman very sheepishly popped out her head, he guessed she had found out whose room it was.

 

“We are alone”,  he said as he watched her startled, he had to suppress his smile.

 

“Oppa, morning.. I mean good afternoon.” she mummered.

 

“There are new toothbrush and toothpaste in the bathroom. I took up your bag, you need anything else?” he asked.

 

“No, Oppa, thanks.” she disappeared back into his room, he stood up  and went to heat up the lunch that his Omma had prepared for the both of them.

 

After twenty minutes, she appeared again in a new set of clothes looking totally refresh and energerized. “Thank goodness i had no schedule today!” she exclaimed, or else she would be in deep trouble. Her phone had went flat as well, so basically no one knew where she was.

 

“I tried all my means to wake you up,” although not too hard, he thought. “Anyway, sit down and have lunch, you must be hungry. My mum prepared for us before she went out.”

 

Ji Hyo had to whistle, it was a spread by her standards, her stomach immediately shown her agreement by groaning louder,  “Ok Oppa.” she quickly sit down feeling embarrassed.

 

Both hungry person quickly settled down for their feast. Jong Kook had figured out what to do during his wait for his sleeping beauty to wake up. The thought of planting kisses on her lips had at least ran through his mind twice but he just did not have the guts to do it yet, not before he decide where were they.

 

Soon they managed to satisfy their tummy and cleared the plates, Ji Hyo washed the plates while Jong Kook dried them, it was as if they had done it for so many times already, their work was done in perfect synchronisation.

 

“Oppa, thanks for everything. I had such a great time here, even though i slept through most of it.” Ji Hyo said as she washed the last piece of dish.

 

“Ji Hyo, you are always welcome here.” She looked at him puzzled. “I … “ he took a huge breath. “Here goes nothing” he thought.

 

“Ji Hyo, we had been colleagues for very long time, you are a special lady, and i loved the way you fought the way among us, how strong and quick wit are you to remain the ace for us. I also saw how helpless you are with certain things and you always would jump when you see them. I wanted to be you protector, whenever they bugged you, i wanted to be there to help you, to protect you.” Ji Hyo looked puzzled.

 

“Not as a colleague, not as a friend, not as a sibling, but as your man. To protect you from harm.” he continued, her eyes grew big. “I mean, “ he felt a soft pair of lips on his and he swallowed whatever he wanted to say, so he could taste the lips better.

 

“Oppa, really, this is not some dreams i am having?” he heard her ask.

 

“I hope not, Ji Hyo yah. I wanted to be your shield, your pillow so i can share your everything. I wanted to hear your day and shared mine, I wanted to help you curse whoever made you angry, i wanted to laugh with you, to cry with you. Give me a chance!” Jong kook rattled on.

 

“OK,” she agreed. Jong Kook could not believe his ears, “I will be yours, and you will be mine.”

 

“I love you, Ji Hyo” he said.

 

“I love you too, Oppa.”