Changes

Kookie and Blank JI

The night wind gently caressed her hair, she sat on the lounge chair on her balcony, sipping red wine from the wine glass Kwang Soo bought as a jest for her birthday. It came with a bottle of red wine, the one she was drinking now, somehow it fitted her mood today. The crescent hang on the dark sky, shining brightly, she wondered could it answer the questions she had in her heart.

 

He was behaving differently since the old PD left, sending her mixed signals, one she could not make head or tail out of it. Why was he playing with her heart, she wanted to seize him to ask, she had tried to behave nonchalant about his inconsistent behaviour but her heart continue to race all the same, to every time he treated her nicely instead of sticking to Kwang Soo. She slowly twirled the wine in her hand, his relationship with Kwang Soo, and sighed and drank the rest of the wine in the glass before pouring herself another glass. The wine tasted sweet, despite her feeling sour towards her deong sang.

 

She looked at the moon again, at least, it had stars twinkling around her, made it felt important. She had wanted to be important in his eyes but she never was, he never helped her up when she was on the floor, at least not when the camera was on, never sang her a love song, never gave her a birthday present, never called her on her phone, never asked her out for a meal least a date. She felt tears starting to gather around her eyes, she tried to blink it away but was in vain, the tears slid down her cheeks, hopelessness was all she could felt tonight.

 

Why must he send her hope then dashed it to bits, playing with her heart, didnt he know it would react to him and him only. He capable of making it race or stop, making it jump over the moon, or sink under the water or buried deep underground. She looked at the blood red liquid in her cup, would she drown her sorrow in the glass, he could not like that, she decided it would be the last glass for today.

 

But it was not enough to drank her sanity, she stood up from her chair and went to bed. The wine did warm and made her sleepy. She woke the next day with a slight headache, after freshing up, she poured herself a large glass of water, in hope to lessen the pain. The cool liquid ran though and it did lessen the throbbing. She sat on her couch, there was no schedule today, she could mobbed about him more if she wants, but first she needed to calm down the beast in her stomach.

 

After a meal of instant noodles, she even deliberate took a picture for him and had the cheek to send it to him, watching his streams of constant nagging coming in while eating her brunch. It was both entertaining and heartwarming, really making her brunch enjoyable, he had volunteered to take her out for dinner at the end his nagging, which she gladly agreed! “Ok, Oppa, please pick me up too. I do not feel like driving, pretty please.” She could not believe she actually did that to him. Anyway, he had agreed, she smiled.

 

She stretched herself, there was nothing she had to do, and lazing around her bed seem the best option she could do, like a cat, she slowly made her way to her bed after her chore was done. Lying on her bed, she recounted the days, after the PD left, how her oppa had changed.

 

  1. He had not stood beside for the longest time, but nowadays, he would stood beside her whenever possible.  

  2. He invaded her personal space, he stood really really near her, she could felt his warmth radiating from him and warming her.

  3. He was really touchy, he was always a touchy man when he was with his buddies, but now, he touched her too.

  4. He did not mind acting cute with her, side by side, looking cute together. He always hated doing that.

  5. He helped her, when he knew she should not be in the water for too long. God only knew how he knew, but he pulled her out of the water subtly and made her and her partner number one and she stood on dry land. That day, she knew, he really was looking after her.

  6. She was always a daredevil, he knew it, but he gently reminded her not to put all her eggs in one basket. She was also the goddess of luck, she dont think he forgot but still his concern warmed her.

  7. He smiled when it was proven she did not have any intention on Gary.

  8. He found good reasons to hold her hands.

  9. He found even better reasons to rest his hand on her shoulders, on her chair.

  10. He had great reasons to pull his chair just beside her, he needed to keep her warm.

  11. He pushed Kwang Soo’s hand away from her shoulder.

  12. He helped her in her tasks, even volunteering to carry boxes to ease her tasks.

  13. He invited her to dinner, she was the only female friend who had attended the event and no one had said anything.

  14. He would be by her side whenever there is any hugging involved.

  15. He helped her on screen, laughing at her jokes but still helped her along.

  16. She found out that he introduced her to most of his friends.

  17. His Omma had loved her.

  18. He allowed her to help him, by his side, taking care of his needs. When he made the elders buy lunch, he would usually let the guys help with the table, but now, he let her took care of it, just making sure he was by her side when it time to eat.

  19. He leaned on her when he felt sickly, letting him taking care of him on screen.

 

What was the meaning of all these changes? It was like going back to the past but better, they were drifting apart but now, he seem wanted to get closer. These were good, she wanted to be closer as well, but her heart sank, what if it was as friends, as family again.

 

He was hard to decipher and understand. From the six years she knew him, he was always a caution man, every step he made, he had calculated exactly. Maybe that's why he was still single and available. The man did not reveal too much to others but when he was with her, he would suddenly act cute.

 

Her clock stoke five, it was time for her to get ready for tonight’s dinner, she had a quick bath before standing in front of her wardrobe, nothing seem correct for tonight save the white dress he liked. She had asked to buy the dress from the sponsor after she saw his eyes followed her everywhere in the white fitting dress and now it perfect to wear it, she put on a matching shoes and waiting for her oppa to call her.

 

He sent her a massage and she hurried down her apartment, his car was already in the driveway and he leaned casually on it while waiting for him. He wore a simple white t-shirt and black bermudas.

 

“Hello, Ji Hyo!” he greeted her, smiling.

 

“Hi, Oppa and thanks.” she returned him a sweet smile. “Where are you bringing me too?” she asked curiously.

 

He raffled her hair, “Well, it going to be a surprise. Now, hopped on” he opened the door to the passenger side, she slid in and he closed the door after her.

 

“It’s Haha Oppa restaurant!” she made her first guess.

 

“No,” he replied. Still smiling mysteriously. She tried a few more and all of them were not the answers. He then took them onto the highway.

 

“Will it be far? I am furnished” she pointed to her groaning stomach. “I would need food soon or I will faint.”

 

“It quite near, don’t worry.” he reassured her, soon he drove into a drive way of a cute eatery. “Here we are.”

 

“I came a few times before, you want to help you ordered” after seeing her indecisive look. She agreed and he ordered a fest for both of them.

 

When the food came, her eyes were as big as the dishes, the food all looked good and she didnt know which one to start off with. He helped her decide and totally chose the food she loved.They chatted while consuming their food and the night quickly passed. Soon it was time for them to leave the restaurant. Jong Kook gave a big tips, since they were rather inconvenience.

 

“Want to take a walk by the river?” he asked. “To exercise some of the food off?”

 

“Ok,” she agreed. Both of them strolled down the quiet river, Ji Hyo oved this section as it was quiet.

 

“Ji Hyo yah, I like someone, but I don’t think she liked me.” he began. She felt her heart went cold, he had someone in mind. “She is pretty and smart, she’s cute and strong, she’s caring and loving,” every word he said, stabbed into her heart. She could only stared at the floor, willing him to stop talking, she wanted to go home.

 

“But i have not been good to her, everyone told me that.” he continued, refusing her wish. Apparently a lot of people knew about his crush. “I was just too shy and I dont know what to do” she felt his hopelessness and hers, her tears threatening her. “Ji Hyo ya, if that is such a guy who love you a lot, how you wanted him to confess” he stopped and turned to look at her expectantly.

 

“Well,” she stumbled, “Maybe the truth? And hope she love you too, oppa.” she still would like him to be happy even she cant have him. Her tears were now on the verge to fall. “Anyway, i don’t see a reason why she don’t love you. Just ask her, Oppa.” she encourages him, “You are such a good and nice person, thoughtful and caring too, and always strong and smart.”

 

“Really, you think so.” she felt her Oppa broke into a smile.

 

They stopped, a pair of warm hands engulfed hers. She looked up and saw a pair of smily warm eyes. “I going to take you suggestion. Ji Hyo ya, I had liked you for the 5 years, you are someone I never thought i would fall in love with. You are so independent, yet sensitive. I always missed you when you are not around. Let’s when i know, i love you.”

 

She was shocked, the girl, his crush was her? She the one he loved! “Oppa,” she uttered. “You meant i am the girl you are talking about?” she needed a confirmation from him.

 

“Yes, you are the girl.” he gently lifted her face so he could look into her eyes.  The clouds in her eyes seemed to clear and her eyes looked like two diamonds.

 

“Oppa, really, you are not playing a joke on me?” Kim Jong Kook is a jester to his friends, “If it is, I would hate you forever.” she vowed.

 

“Why would i play such a joke? I want to love you forever, not hated” Jong Kook confirmed.

 

“Really? Oppa.” she whispered. “Ee.. Oppa …” she buried her face into his chest, feeling his warm and reassurance as his arms circled around her. “Oppa,” she murmured into his chest, hoping it would reach his heart. “I love you too.”

 

His hug tightened, “Thank you Ji Hyo, for loving me. I was so worried you would tell me you treated me as your brother.” he planted a kiss on her forehead. Ji Hyo felt her face burnt from his kiss. “It’s late, let me send you home.” he took her hand and led her to his car, then they listened to the soft music, totally immersed in their world, her hand always in his, even when he driving.


He walked her to her door, “Ji Hyo yah.” she turned to look at her boyfriend. “My pretty Ji hyo,” he uttered softly, his mouth seeking hers. Then he planted their first kiss, sending electricity down her spine. “Ji Hyo yah,” as he broke his kiss. “I love you.” he whispered into his ears.