April's Fool joke?

Kookie and Blank JI

“Ji Hyo. I just thought of the greatest April Fool’s Joke” Jong Kook messaged.

 

“What is it?” Ji Hyo was undeniably curious.

 

“”Ok. Let’s announced we are a couple to the rest.” Ji Hyo’s heart skip a beat when she saw his message.

 

“On.” she replied, knowing this would be the world’s most cruel joke for her. There is more truth in that that she would like to admit. She wanted to be his girlfriend for the longest time, not that he ever knew it, and this suggestion of his would make her dream came truth, but on April’s Fool day, her dream would … she shook her head, at least she would get to live her dream, that would be enough.

 

“That’s meet before tomorrow filming.” He messaged her the details of their meeting tomorrow. He had chosen her favourite cafe for this, she knew the cafe would always be her favourite now, there was her realisation of her dream.

 

“Ok,” he began, his cheeky smile pasted on his face, his eyes were dazzling shiny and anyone could tell he was excited. “I had asked you to be my girlfriend yesterday and you had agreed.” She nodded, that part was true.

 

“I had realised i loved you seem, maybe in 2012? But you had a boyfriend, so i had tried to hide my feelings for you. But I had missed you so much due to my busy schedule so I knew i had to do something, and that’s when i asked.” He rattled, it seemed so real to her, his story, it was like he was narrating a true story. “How about you?”

 

“I had realised I loved you seem, maybe in 2013? After I had broken off with my ex, you are a caring friend and always there for me, I found i had relied on you more and more and my heart is hopelessly captured by yours, so when you asked, i was so happy that i immediately agreed.” She told him the truth earnestly, at least there was a chance to tell him that. She smiled, happily at him. My love, please remember this …

 

He looked stunned but he smiled and nodded. Ji Hyo sipped her iced Americano, feeling shy after her confession. “Ok, from now on, Song Ji Hyo, my Seong-Im, you are my girlfriend,” his hand lightly grabbed hers. His warmth flowed into her, and she would felt herself radiating happiness.  “Let’s go” his hand never let go of hers.

 

They arrived at the recording scene in his van, he helped her down and held on to her hands. They walked towards the preparation area, he shouted “Guys, I had an announcement to make.” The rest of the running man looked towards them, from whatever they were doing.

 

“Me and Ji Hyo are a couple now,” he waved their hands in the air. The rest were silent for a while then ..

“Congratulations! Jong Kook and Ji Hyo! You both took long enough,” Jae Suk said.

 

“Congratulations, Hyung, you and Ji Hyo quickly married, and gave my dream a girlfriend.” Haha shouted.

 

“Congratulations!!! Finally, you lovebirds.” Suk Jin smiled.

 

“Congratulations! Ji Hyo, you will still be my Monday girlfirend right?” Gary said, but Jong Kook gave him a stare, “But its ok if you dont want too. I can get the guest to be my girl friend.” He quickly retreated.

 

Kwang Soo broke into his funny dance and said “Congratulations!! Hyung, Noona, I am so happy.”

 

“Thank you.” Both of them said, neither expecting such a reaction from the rest.

 

The rest of the recording, Jong Kook was different, he was even more sensitive and attentive to Ji Hyo, he would find chances to stand beside Ji Hyo. The others would then try to break them apart. It was fun. Ji Hyo was enjoying of his “courtship” she now was given a taste of what it be like, and she loved every minute of it.

 

“Let’s me send you home after the recording ok?” He asked, whispering into her ears.

 

Her ears turned red, she shyly nodded. “I will bring you to a nice place for supper.” She looked up and saw his eyes, it was deep and she couldnt read it.

 

Their official first date started, they were alone in his car after the recording, soft music weaved the air. “We go for soup? Do you like that?” He enquired.

 

She wanted to tell him, she was ok with anywhere, as long as she was with him, but .. “I love soup, you knew that! What are we having?“ She replied chippily.

 

“Chinese herbal soup. We are so busy this few months, we would need to make sure we had enough energy to carry on.” She giggled, only her Oppa would make sure they had healthy supper. He asked her about her schedule and her new show. She asked him whether was he sad that EC1 had its last recording. They discussed serious topics such as what if running man stopped due to poor rating and happy ones like new things happening in their carrers.

 

She never knew him as well as that night, they talked for 3-4 hours before calling it a night. Luckily both of them dont have schedule the next day, they even make another date after he dropped her off. To go cycling at the han river, spring was a great time to catch cherry blossoms and spring flowers blooming in the park.

She took a quick shower and laid on the bed, thinking of their conversation, slowly drifting to sleep.

 

“Beep … Beep… Beep.” went off her alarm, she woke up, trying to silence it, but it was not going off! Then she realised it was her door bell, she googily went to open the door, “Who is it,” she asked in her sleepy voice.

 

A male voice answered, “it me, Oppa. I came to fetch you for cycling.” The melodic voice replied. There was never a better alarm, her eyes flew opened and she saw Jong Kook on the screen, looking perfectly ready in his white sweatshirt while on the other hand, she was in a mess, and still in her sleepwear. She didn’t know what to do.

 

“I guessed you just woke up, but let me wait inside while you prepare?” He suggested. She quickly opened the door and let him in. He had already saw her worst during recording and her state now was no different.

 

“Sorry Oppa, I overslept.” She confessed.

 

“I knew you would, so i came 15 minutes earlier so you could freshen up.” He replied. ‘I would take care of myself,”

 

“Ok, Oppa. you know where everything is. I go and take a quick shower.” She hurried towards her room, Oppa knew her well, in her happiness she had forgotten to set the alarm. After the shower, she changed into a white t-shirt and jeans. She looked herself in the mirror, the happy girl was smiling back at her. She took a white cap and put it on her head, and took a matching haversack.

 

“I am ready oppa,” she said walking out of her room. He was on the sofa sipping a glass of water, he turned his head and saw the pretty Ji Hyo.

 

“Ji Hyo, you looked very pretty.” He said, putting down the glass. “You think we would look obvious?” Both of them observing their reflection. She had to agree, they looked like Kim Jong Kook and Song Ji Hyo.  

“We need a disguise.” She said, and went in to take a eye pencil. “Moles, facial hairs.” She magically found things they could use. By the time they walked of the apartment, they looked less like who they were.

 

He gave her sandwiches and water in the car, “your breakfast.” He said. She accepted happily, her stomach was grumbling.

 

The cycling in the park was fun, the flowers were all glad and happy, the sun bright and warm, the grass green and everything was wonderful. They cycled side by side, sometimes, he would show her some pretty scenery, sometimes she would point out some lovely flowers. They stopped at a bench, he passed her some water, and she drank it gratefully. Her Oppa had a magic backpack full of things she wanted. Strawberries appeared next, everyone was sweet as sugar. “Oppa, I love your bag, it had everything i wanted.” She said.

 

“Well, you must know who had prepared it.” He replied, and she felt a blush creeping up her face, her oppa was so attentive, sigh, like a perfect boyfriend would.

 

“Oppa, you are really perfect. I wondered who would be the lucky girl.” She sighed, she knew who wasnt.

 

“Right now, it’s you.” Came the surprising reply, his gentle voice didn’t seem to be joking.

 

“I know.” She agreed. Yes, she was his now, till tomorrow.

 

“Let’s ride back.” He suggested and they rode the bicycles back to the rental place. He brought her to a lovely restaurant and they had a simple lunch, she loved that she would taste the food as their original taste without too much sugar or salt. “I am coming back here to eat more often.” She commented after her stomach was filled. I loved the taste here.”

 

“Me too. We could always come here for food.” He said. She looked at him, uncertain what to make up of that sentence.

 

“I would love that” she agreed.

 

“Let me send you home, you had late night yesterday and exercise today, you will need your rest.”

 

She yawned. “YEah… i am feeling sleepy now.”

 

“You can sleep in the car” he offered. How could she, she wanted to spend time with him more. They talked some more in the car. He took her to her doorstep holding her hands.

 

“Sleep well,” he said, after she stepped into her apartment, suddenly, he pulled her towards him, then he gave her a peck on her forehead. “Rest well, message me when you are awake” and then he was gone, leaving her at her door. Her hand touched the place where his lips were, what did all this mean? She fell into a restless sleep.

 

When she woke up, it was already night time, she had slept 5 hours. She switched on the lights and remembered Jong Kook asking her to message him when she woke up.

 

“Oppa, couldnt believe it, i slept for 5 hours. Going to have dinner before hitting the sack again.” She messaged him.

 

“Wah, sleeping princess. We will meet after your recording tomorrow, ok?” Came his answered. Yes, it would be April’s fool day.

 

“Ok, see you Oppa.” she took out a microwave meal and put it into the microwave, she ate the tasteless dinner, thinking of what would happen tomorrow.

 

The next day, everything was a blurred, she didnt know what happened and was more mong than usual, luckily it was just some photo shoots and she went through motion and got it all done. She removed all the excessive makeup from her face, she must have looked worry, her manager asked her if she was well. She nodded, then hurried to meet Jong Kook.

 

“Hello,” he greeted her. “You must be hungry, let’s go dinner.” Her stomach replied for her, and she looked sheepish. He took her to another wonderful place for dinner. Come to think of it, he was busy feeding her with good food.

 

“Oppa, you kept feeding me.” She pointed out the obvious.

 

“Mm… yes. You deserved all the good food.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because you are getting thinner, and i dont like that, i like you too be more chubbily, your cheeks more rosy.”

 

“Really?” She asked.

 

“Yes,” he gave her affirmative nodded. She wondered should she asked him about the joke but decided if he is not going to bring it up, neither would she.

 

He took her for a stroll after the dinner, they walked on the path up nam shan. People seldom went up that way, they were in their own private world. His hand held hers, his thumb hers aimlessly. They whispered, afraid to disrupt the peace and quiet that surrounded them. Around half way up, he looked at his watch and noticed it was late. “Let’s go back, you must be tired after the long day.” She wasnt. She was more curious and wanted to know what would be install for them, but yet, she couldnt get herself to ask, so she agreed to Jong Kook plan.

 

She must have been tired, she fell asleep in his car. She wondered how long she had slept, she caught him staring at him when she opened her eyes. Her face turned beet red and so was his. “You had reached.” She nodded and muttered a good bye before she escaped back to her house. Her heart beated uncontrollably.

 

She woke up the next day, wondering what are they were. She sighed but she must said it was welcoming to stay as his girlfriend. They were in this state for a few weeks, everyone believing that they were a couple, she believed they were a couple. They could be no other explanation.

 

One month later, Jong kook asked her to meet at her favourite cafe again. She felt she couldnt breathe, her heart would not beat steadily, her palms were all sweaty.

 

“Ji Hyo, here” he called out to her.

 

She walked to him slowly, wishing to delay the inevitable.

 

“I had lied to you,” he said. “There was never a joke i wanted to play on the others. I needed an excuse. What i told you was true, i had loved you for so long and i was happy that you agreed. I was thinking when would you asked me to stop but you didnt so i carried on. But now, i dont want to pretend anymore, i wanted you to be my girlfriend. Please be my girlfriend.” He asked.

 

She was truly shocked after hearing him. “I wasnt lying when i told you i love you too. I had loved you for so long and i was happy to go along with your plan. I just wanted to stay as your girlfriend even if it is made believe. I wanted to be your girlfriend.” She saw him broke into the most happy smile.

 

“I love you, Ji Hyo”


“I love you, Oppa”