Chapter Fourteen: Competition

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

Kim: Gerald, one step at a time. (smiles at him)

 

Gerald: One step at a time.  (smiles back at Kim, her hand with his thumb) One step at a time.

 

 

What Gerald and Kim didn’t know was that they had an audience.  Several guys were watching Gerald holding on to Kim’s hand and were getting a little bit pissed.  Some of the girls were watching Kim smiling at Gerald and were getting jealous that Gerald was smiling back, especially one particular girl, Nina.

 

Nina: That’s it! I’m walking over there.  Gerald is mine.

 

Eliza: Nina, are you sure you want to do that?  I’m sorry to be honest with you but Gerald’s never given you the time of day. 

 

Nina: (shooting Eliza daggers with her eyes) Gerald just doesn’t know what he is missing. I just have to show him. 

 

Nina walks over to where Kim and Gerald are sitting.

 

Nina: Hi Gerald! (smiles sweetly at him and turns to Kim) Hi.

 

Gerald & Kim: Hi Nina.  (Kim notices Nina just looking at Gerald.)

 

Nina: What are you doing tonight Gerald?

 

Gerald:  I don’t know yet.  (he looks at Kim and notices that she is no longer smiling.  Thought – she’s jealous.  HALLELUJAH! She’s jealous!)

 

Nina:  There is a new club opening up tonight.  It is being sponsored by the Asian Coalition, meaning even our Filipino club is sponsoring the event.  I heard its going to be quite an event.

 

Gerald: I forgot about that.  (looks at Kim)  Kim, would you like to go tonight?

 

Kim: (looking at Nina’s shocked face – silently laughing to herself)  I’d loooove to Gerald. 

 

Gerald: (turns to Nina) Thanks Nina for the information.  Maybe we will see you there. 

 

Nina walks away. Enchong walks over with a couple other guys.

 

Enchong: Hi Kim.  Hi Gerry.

 

Gerald: It’s Gerald. (looking annoyed).

 

Enchong: yeah, sorry, whatever dude. (turns to Kim)  So Kim, are you going to the new club, Kure, tonight?

 

Kim: (looking over at Gerald and notices he looks pissed – thought – Is he jealous?) Yeah, we are? We just found out about it.

 

Enchong: We?

 

Gerald: (looking smug) I’m taking Kim to the club tonight.  Maybe we’ll see you there.  Kim, we didn’t talk about dinner?  We still have the leftovers from the dinner we cooked last night.  Or do you want to go out?

 

Enchong: Bye guys.  I’ll talk to you later Kim.

 

Kim: Bye Enchong.  See in class.  (looks at Gerald) What do you want to do about dinner tonight? 

 

Gerald:  Let’s tell Matt & Mel and see if they want to go tonight.  Do you want to call Tanya and Jon?

 

Kim: Let me call her right now.  (reaches in her backpack for her cell)

 

Matt and Mel arrive.

 

Matt: (whispers to Mel) Thank God they are still here.  I was afraid our stuff was going to be left alone.

 

Mel: It looks like everything seems to be okay.

 

Matt & Mel: We’re back! So what’s up?

 

Gerald:  We were told that this new club is opening tonight.  Do you guys want to go? Kim’s calling Tanya right now.

 

Mel:  Definitely!  I haven’t gone out dancing for awhile. 

 

Kim: Yea!  Tanya and Jon are in.  We just need to figure out dinner plans.  We still have a lot of leftovers but we could also go out.

 

Matt: Would you guys be offended if we went out?  I ate your lasagna for breakfast. 

 

Mel: Lasagna for breakfast!! Well… I guess food is food.

 

Kim: There is this great Japanese restaurant I heard about.  I can call and make reservations for 8pm for all of us. 

 

Gerald:  I thought you were allergic to raw fish.  Are you okay with sushi?

 

Kim: You remembered?  (smiles at him) I’ll eat the cooked stuff – tonkatsu and tempura.  I love that stuff.

 

Matt:  Japanese it is!! (whispers to Gerald) You guys okay?

 

Gerald: (whispers back) I think so. 

 

Mel: What are you two whispering about? I swear sometimes I think those two are couple instead of Matt and I.

 

Kim: (laughing) They do look good together.

 

Gerald:  Hey!  I’m a woman kind of guy. Watch it there miss.

 

Kim: LOL!  Hey I respect you and your choices.

 

Mel: Matt, sweetie.  Is there anything you need to tell me before I fall even deeper in love with you?  (smothering her laughter)

 

Matt: (grabs her) You love me huh?

 

Mel: Of course I love you.  (gives him a kiss on the cheek)

 

Matt: That’s not enough (pulls her closer)

 

Mel: Hey… watch it my man… we are in a very public place. (pushes him away giggling)

 

Gerald: Get a room!

 

Kim: How sweet!

 

Gerald: You want sweet! (he reaches for Kim but she side steps him)

 

Kim: You wish my friend!  (laughing) We better get out of here before we thrown out.  People are looking at us.  I need to get ready anyways if we are going out tonight.

 

Matt, Mel, Kim and Gerald pack up their things and head out of the library.  Matt & Mel walk out holding hands.  Gerald reaches for Kim’s hand and smiles down at her.  He pulls her closer to a side hug.  Kim smiles up at him.