Chapter Two: First Meeting of the Year

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

Kim and Tanya met up with Mel and Matt at the first Filipino club meeting of the year.  They could not believe that a year had already passed and summer was over. 

 

Matt: Hi Kim and Tanya! (To Matt) Sweetie, Kim and Tanya are here!

 

Mel: Tanya! Pinsan!

 

Tanya: Hi guys!

 

Kim: Pinsan! Hi Matt!  Are you treating my cousin like the queen she is?

 

Matt: Siempre! 

 

Mel: He better!  LOL! So Kim, I heard that you have a boyfriend now.

 

Tanya: HA!

 

Kim: not any more!  The guy ended up being a jerk!  I thought he was nice.  I met him at a family friend’s party.  We started talking and made it official mid summer.  Then he got all weird on me when it was getting close to coming back to school.  He started getting all jealous.  No thanks.  Don’t need no drama in my life. 

 

Tanya: Too bad too… he was okay but he was a nice guy but totally became a Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde kind of thing.  It was a little bit scary at the end. 

 

Matt: Too bad! But talking about family friends.  I want you guys to meet a friend of mine that just moved out here from Missouri.  Our parents are really good friends and we’ve seen each other all the time growing up.  He said he would come to the meeting.

 

Mel: He better get here soon because the meeting is about to start.  Oops… there goes the President… the meeting is already starting.  Matt, go stand by the door so that you don’t miss him.

 

Matt: Okay sweetie… don’t miss me while I’m gone.

 

Mel: You’re just going to stand by the door…. I love you weirdo!

 

 

President:  We are so excited!  Another new year for our Filipino club.  I hope each and every single one of you take advantage of everything that is offered and really take the time to make new friends and strengthen old relationships.  So in honor of history, let’s get to know each other better…  For all of you, who were born in Southern California, meet in this corner.  For all of you born internationally, meet in this corner. For all of you born in Northern & Central California, meet in the back corner.  And finally, for all of you born in the Bay Area, meet over here. 

 

Kim: Bye Tanya… I’m going international.

 

Tanya: So Cal… here I come… oh shoot… Kim… check out that guy… gwapo!

 

Kim: (looks to where Tanya is looking – smiles at Tanya) thought- gwapo.

 

Where Matt is…

 

Matt: Gerald!! Dang boy! What took you so long?  The meeting is just starting.  You belong in the international group – go over there in that corner.

 

Gerald:  Hey Matt! Geez, give me a break! I got lost trying to figure out where this room.  Remember I just got here to this school…. WOW! There are some beautiful girls in this place!!!

 

Matt:  Slow down boy…. Take your time… remember what happened at your last school…

 

Gerald: (thought: Man, he had to remind me.  Yes, I know I dated around but I didn’t commit myself to one girl.  What’s wrong with that? I wasn’t disrespectful but I know I wasn’t respectful either.  Each girl I dated knew that I was not committed. They jumped into a ‘relationship’ with me with their eyes open.  I guess the last girl didn’t hear the words that were coming out of my mouth too clearly.  I can’t believe that she tried to commit suicide. I can’t believe it took that for me to figure out that I needed to change…)

 

Matt: Gerald? Hoy Gerald!!

 

Gerald:  Huh?  Oh yeah, go to the international corner.

 

President:  Okay, everyone, introduce yourself to everyone in your group and share where you were born before we start the icebreaker. 

 

Gerald: Hi Everyone! I’m Gerald.  I was born in Subic Bay in the Philippines. Sorry I’m late.  (Smiles at everyone in the group) thought- whoa! She’s absolutely beautiful!

 

Kim: Hi Everyone! I’m Kim! I was also born in the Philippines… on the island of Leyte. (Smiles) – thought – The cute one had to be in my group. He’s so handsome! Get a grip of yourself Kim – you don’t even know him. 

 

After the meeting…

 

Matt: Did all of you meet my long lost friend (smiles) Gerald?  Gerald, you’ve met Mel. This is Tanya and Jon.  And this is Kim, Mel’s cousin.

 

Gerald: (staring at Kim) We’ve met.  Leyte right?

 

Kim: (staring at Gerald) Subic right? 

 

Mel: Ummm. Excuse me, Gerald and Kim.  We are kind of hungry and would like to go eat.  Would the two of you like to join us?

 

Gerald and Kim smile shyly at each other and joins everyone to go out to eat dinner.