Chapter Fifty-One: Manila at Night

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

Later that night after the group went out to dinner together, they were all relaxing in the living room of the suite just talking about their trip.

 

Jon: That was great guys but I am exhausted.

 

Gerald: Man, I think my feet are going to fall off.  I know we didn’t do a lot of walking but we’ve been on our feet all day. 

 

Jon: I know man.  My feet feel like they are back on the medical mission.

 

Tanya: (laughing) My poor baby.

 

Mel:  You guys will be able to rest eventually once we get on the plane tomorrow night back to the U.S.

 

Matt: I don’t know if I want to go back.  This trip has been great.  And I want to see more of the Philippines.

 

Gerald: I know what you mean.  We didn’t get to spend enough time with your Lola, Kim. We didn’t even get a chance to go to Boracay.  I wanted to visit some of the dive sites here in the PI.  I hear we have some of the best dive sites in the world.

 

Kim: I know but I’m glad to have seen her and my relatives.  Babe, you’re not scared of going diving?

 

Gerald: No.  I’ve done it before but it has been a long time.  I think I need to renew my license.

 

Matt: I’ll renew with you.  I haven’t gone diving in long time as well.  I think they have diving classes at school that we register for separately. Mel? Do you want to try it?

 

Mel: I don’t know sweetie.  I’m kind of scared.

 

Kim: Me too but I’m also curious.  Babe?  I think I want to get a diving license too.

 

Gerald.  That’s my girl.  When we get back I’ll set it up. Too bad we aren’t staying for a couple more days then we could get certified and try diving here.  Next time because I am sure that we are definitely coming back.

 

Jon: Definitely!! The food here has been so good especially all the fresh seafood.  I would come back just for that.

 

Tanya: That’s my baby. (laughing, rubbing his stomach)  I have to turn in.  My body is telling me to go to sleep now.  Come on Jon. Good night all. (Jon and Tanya go to their room to turn in for the night)

 

Mel: I’m going to bed sweetie.

 

Matt: I’m coming right behind you. (Matt and Mel leave the room to go to sleep too.)

 

Gerald: Kim? 

 

Kim: To be honest, I’m not tired.  I feel wired.  I guess I’m not wanting to leave either and want to stay awake so that I don’t miss anything.

 

Gerald: I’ll stay up with you. What do you want to do?

 

Kim: I don’t know… I would love to drive the city.

 

Gerald: At this time?

 

Kim: The city doesn’t seem to sleep.  I know it may not be safe but then again, I’m curious.  The sun is about to rise in a couple hours and I want to see it.

 

Gerald:  Then my lady gets her command.  Let me go get our bodyguards.  I know they know where we can go. 

 

Kim: I feel bad waking them up.

 

Gerald: I know babe but I want to make sure we are safe if we are going to go out.  My dad would kill me if anything happened to me and your dad would kill me again if anything happened to you.  I wouldn’t forgive myself.  

 

Kim: Hmmmm… okay.  But wait.  Aren’t you tired?  I don’t want to go out if you are tired babe.

 

Gerald:  I just want to be with you so if my lady wants to go out and explore. We shall go out and explore.  (smiling)

 

Kim: Thank you.  I love you. (wraps her arms around him and gives Gerald a kiss)

 

Gerald: The lady needs to keep her hands and lips to herself or else we are going to be doing something else instead. (laughing)

 

Kim: (playfully pushes him away) Go get the guys.

 

Gerald: (gives Kim one last lingering kiss) Okay… I’ll be right back. 

 

Gerald walks out the door to where one of the bodyguards was standing.

 

Lee: Sir?  Are you needing anything?

 

Gerald: Ay Lee, call me Gerald.  I was wondering if it would be okay to go on a night drive here in Manila.  Kim would like to go exploring.  Would at least two of you be willing to take us around?

 

Lee: Sure, sir.  Let me go talk to the other guys.  Jester knows Manila like the back of his hand.  He might be the best one to take you and Kim around. I will join you guys as well.  Big and Jet can stay and make sure the other four are okay.

 

Gerald: Thank you Lee.  Just come get us when you are ready. (turns around and walks back to the living room) Babe, do you want to change in more comfortable clothes?  Lee and Jester are taking us around.

 

Kim: (jumping up and down) Yeah!! Thank you babe!  I’ll be right back.  Aren’t you going to change too?

 

Gerald: I’ll stay here and wait for you.  I’ll change after you are done. We might not make it out of the bedroom if I go in there with you. And Jester and Lee should be coming soon.

 

Kim and Gerald changed into more comfortable clothes.  Jester and Lee took Kim and Gerald on a drive throughout the many different parts of the city.  They drove past the financial district, a palengke, down Roxas Boulevard, past Fort Santiago at night, past Rizal Park. 

 

Kim: Regardless of the poverty here in the Philippines, I still find it so beautiful.  People are trying to make things work.   You know there is a deep faith in the Lord. It feels like potential wanting to burst out of the seams. Jester, are you from Manila?

 

Jester: Yes ma’am.  My family doesn’t live far from here.

 

Kim: We are so sorry Jester.  We have kept you from your family for 3 weeks.

 

Jester: Don’t apologize ma’am.  This is how I make sure that my children go to school and that there is food and clothes for us all. I should be thanking you for the opportunity.

 

Kim: Thank Gerald or more so his dad. Regardless, we are very glad you have been with us throughout this trip.

 

Gerald:  You guys have done a great job taking care of us and even helping out the medical mission.  I appreciate even more so at the mall yesterday when those guys approached the girls, especially the one that tried to grab Kim’s hand.

 

Jester: Thank you sir.  It’s our job and to be honest, you guys made this fun for us.  Plus, regardless of it being our job, there is no way that anyone is going to touch any of you guys.

 

Lee:  You six are good people. We appreciate you coming here and helping your kababayans.

 

Gerald: The same goes for you two and Big and Jet.  And we are appreciative for the opportunity to do whatever little we could do.  You know… (Gerald looks out the window) the sun is about to rise.  Where is the best place to watch the sun rise?

 

Jester: Actually, let’s go back to Roxas Boulevard and the two of you can watch it rise from there.  After that, we’ll take you to the best breakfast place in Manila.  They are actually open right now.

 

Kim: Great plan!!

 

Jester and Lee drove Kim and Gerald back to Roxas Boulevard and park the car.  Kim and Gerald walked along Roxas Boulevard with Manila Bay as their view.  Jester and Lee kept close to them without invading their privacy.

 

Gerald: Kim?

 

Kim: Babe?

 

Gerald: This was a great idea babe. I should be tired but I am so wide awake.

 

Kim: Wasn’t it?

 

Gerald: Manila is beautiful regardless of its imperfections. 

 

Kim: Unknown potential slowly seeping through the seams.

 

Gerald: Beautifully said babe. (pulls her into his arms) Talking about beautiful.  Hi beautiful.

 

Kim: Hi handsome.

 

Gerald: So I’m handsome!

 

Kim: (laughing) Definitely a hottie!

 

Gerald: Even better – you think I am a hottie!

 

Kim: Don’t let your head get big!

 

Gerald: I’m a hottie.  My baby thinks I’m a hottie. (starts dancing in the middle of walkway)

 

Kim: (laughing) Too late. Your head has just grown to the size of a watermelon.

 

Gerald: Well this hottie thinks you are hottie.

 

Kim: (laughing and starts copying how Gerald was dancing) I’m a hottie. I’m a hottie. My baby thinks I’m a hottie.

 

Gerald: (tries to grab Kim) Are you making fun of me?

 

Kim: (runs away from Gerald) I’m a hottie! I’m a hottie! (laughing)

 

Gerald: (catches Kim and puts her over his shoulder, smacking her bottom) My hottie thinks she’s funny!

 

Kim: Gerald! Put me down! Aray!!! (laughing) Hey babe.  Look the sun is about to rise.

 

Gerald: (slowly puts her down) Saved by the sun.  (kisses her) I love you babe.

 

Kim: I love you too, hottie. (giggling against his mouth)

 

Gerald and Kim enjoyed watching the sun rise.  They watched the city slowly wake up.  They decided to head back towards the palengke to watch the people get ready for the day and bought some fruit, dried fish and other treats to bring back home.   Jester and Lee then took them to this breakfast place, a restaurant on the side of the street.  Kim ordered the longsilog. Gerald ordered the tocilog and each bodyguard had one of each.  They had a great time laughing about their adventures and the stories Jester and Lee shared with them. When they returned to the suite, their friends were still asleep.  Kim and Gerald decided to turn in for as much sleep they could get.