Chapter One Hundred Ten: Ready to Intervene

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

Little by little, Gerald would notice Kim’s belongings slowly leave the town home. He noticed that she came when he was not at home. She took a lot of her things with her but she also left a lot of the things he gave her, such as her jewelry and formal clothes, behind. She did still wear the promise ring he gave her. When he saw her about campus, he would still notice the ring on her finger. It gave him hope. Gerald kept to his word and gave Kim space and time.  He would see her around campus and just watch her.  He knew she was miserable as much as he was. It gave him hope that she would return to him but she still hadn’t come back to him. It’s been over a month now and he didn’t know what to do.  Their eyes would sometimes meet but she would always give him a small smile and turn away. People knew of their ‘break-up’ and were shocked. Many guys tried hook up with Kim but he knew that she wasn’t seeing anyone. At least he hoped she wasn’t seeing anyone. Many girls, especially Nina, tried to hook up with him but he never gave her or any other girl for that fact the time of day. He just focused on going to class, studying and playing basketball whenever he could.  He didn’t attend the Filipino Club meetings anymore and he knew Kim didn’t either.  The gossip mill was too strong there. Tanya was great at keeping him updated about Kim.  Tanya didn’t move out of the town house because she also had high hopes that Kim was going to return. She did sometimes stay over at Kim’s place a lot but she didn’t move out of the town home.

One night at Kim’s place…

Tanya: Sis… (looking up from her textbook she was reading) So what? What’s going on between you and Gerald?

Kim: Right now? Nothing.

Tanya: Are you ever going to go back to him? It’s been almost 2 months now.

Kim: I don’t know. And to be honest I don’t know how.

Tanya: What do you mean?

Kim: I left but if I’m ready, which I am not sure I am, do I just go up to him and say ‘Hey Gerald. I’m ready to get back together’?

Tanya: I don’t think he cares. You could just nod your head and he would be right there in front of you. Are you going to get back with him?

Kim: This has been pure hell.  It has been 2 months that I haven’t talked to him. I miss him so much.  Do you know that every night before we went to sleep, we always talked about our day? I miss that. I miss him. I know he loves me and I know the incident wasn’t his fault. I’ve just been trying to erase that memory from my head but it won’t go away.

Tanya: You just need to replace it with new ones and you haven’t spent the time doing that because you have been away from him. (silence) Do you still love him?

Kim: I love him Tanya.  I still love him. I have tried to stop loving him but I can’t.

Tanya: Are you ready to see him and talk with him? We are coming to the end of the school year.

Kim: I don’t know yet.

Tanya: What about summer? Didn’t you guys have plans of working for Andersons again?

Kim: Yes but…

Tanya: Are you ready to talk to him Kim? Has the time apart helped you?

Kim: I don’t know. I don’t know. The only thing I know is that I miss him.

Tanya: If you are ready, I am here. If you need help, then I’ll help you.

Kim: Maybe… I don’t know…

 

Later that night, Tanya returned to the town house and found Gerald studying at the dining table.

Tanya: Hi Gerald.

Gerald: Hi Tanya. How’s it going?

Tanya: It’s going.  How are you doing?

Gerald: Okay. Just here studying for my Electromagnetics class. How’s Kim?

Tanya: She’s okay.

Gerald: Good.  I hope she’s happy and things are going good for her.

Tanya: I wouldn’t say that she’s happy. She’s just living.

Gerald: I miss her Tanya.

Tanya: I know that Gerald. Time heals and I seriously hope for the both of you that it’s working.

Gerald: I hope so too.  Is she okay? Does she need anything?

Tanya: (under her breath) Other than you… She’s okay. She’s making things work.

Gerald: (lets out a deep breath)  I’m going to sleep now. Take care Tanya and good night.

Tanya: Take care too…

Tanya could not take how miserable both of her friends were. It was time to take drastic measures.  She called Mel.

Mel: (on the other line) Hello?

Tanya: Sis!

Mel: Hi Tanya!

Tanya: How’s the newlywed?

Mel: Sickeningly happy!

Tanya: Great! (laughing)

Mel: What’s up?

Tanya: I need help.

Mel: Let me guess… does it have to do with two of our favorite people?

Tanya: They are absolutely miserable without each other.

Mel: I figured. Is it time to meddle? Have we allowed them enough time?

Tanya: So we are on the same page.

Mel: Definitely.  And I’ll be honest, Matt is ready to intervene.  He’s frustrated as well.

Tanya: I have an idea.

Mel: Okay.  What is it?

Tanya and Mel spoke on the phone a little bit with some input from Matt to try to figure out what to do.

About a month later,, Tanya was with Kim on a Friday afternoon…

Tanya: Do you have any big plans this weekend?

Kim: When was the last time I had any big plans on a weekend?

Tanya: Do you really want me to answer that?

Kim: (quiet) So what are you up to this weekend? You’re not going to go see Jon?

Tanya: I’m going to see him. I haven’t seen Mel and Matt in a while so I was thinking if you want to join me and go visit them.

Kim: I’d love to go see them. Do you think they are busy tonight?

Tanya: Let’s call and find out…

Tanya called Mel and spoke to her for awhile. Kim got on the phone as well. Mel was insistent that they come up that night and that they bring clothes for the weekend. She said that Matt was going to be studying for most of the weekend so she needed some company. All three girls were excited to spend some time with each other. Tanya and Kim both went home to their respective places to pack for the weekend. Tanya came and picked up Kim and they began the drive to Palo Alto.

On Gerald’s side… phone rings…

Matt: Bro!

Gerald: Hey bro! How are you? How’s med school treating you?

Matt: Good, good. Tired. Medical school is no joke but it’s going well.

Gerald: Kaya mo yan.

Matt: Thanks bro. Hey do you have any big plans this weekend?

Gerald: Not really. Just studying. Why what’s up?

Matt: Bro, I haven’t seen you in awhile. Why don’t you come up tonight and have dinner with me and Mel? Why don’t you pack for the weekend so that we can catch up for a little bit.  I don’t have anything major going on this weekend and I’ll be pretty much alone in the house because Mel has this family thing to go to.

Gerald: You’re not going to go.

Matt: No because if I go, I won’t be able to study as much. You down?

Gerald: Sure. Let me just throw some clothes in a duffel bag.

Matt: Great. See you soon and drive carefully.

Gerald: Great.

A couple hours later, Gerald was on the doorstep to Matt & Mel’s place. He noticed that Tanya’s and Jon’s car was parked in front of their place.

Gerald rang  the doorbell…Matt opened the door.

Matt: Bro!! (pulls Gerald into a bear hug)

Gerald: Bro!! What’s up! It’s good to see you.

Matt: It’s good to see you too. Come in. Come in.

Gerald: Thank you. Is Tanya and Jon here? I noticed their cars out front.

Gerald walked into their town home and found Jon, Tanya, and Mel hanging out in the living room.  There was a fourth person but her back was to him.  He recognized her back and looked at Matt questioningly…

Gerald: Bro? I don’t….

Everyone: Hi Gerald!

Mel, Tanya and Jon got up to greet Gerald. Finally Kim turned around and looked at Gerald. Their eyes met…

Gerald: Hi Kim.

Kim: Hi Gerald.