Chapter One Hundred Eleven: Where to Begin

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

Gerald could not stop staring at Kim. Kim could not break her eye contact with Gerald either. Everyone else was watching them and looking at each other and at them with hope. Mel finally broke the silence.

Mel: Come on guys… let’s go eat.  You will be my guinea pig for a new recipe I found.

Matt: I don’t know what it is about Mel. She’s been trying a new recipe almost every week. Some totally delicious. Others well… interesting.

Mel: Are you saying I am a bad cook?

Matt: No. But you are a very adventurous cook. (laughing)

Mel: Hey… don’t knock it because one of these days I might not want to cook for you.

Matt: I so appreciate my meals sweetie.

Tanya: Aaaahhhh… the wonderful world of newlyweds. 

Jon: Man, you better not knock the food or else you might not have a meal to come to. Appreciate man. Appreciate. It really when Tanya is not with me.

Tanya: You are only with me for my cooking skills.

Jon: I am with you because I love you and the fact that you can cook, well, it’s just icing on the cake.

Kim and Gerald finally broke eye contact and joined the group in the dining area. Gerald naturally went and pulled Kim’s chair out for her. Gerald was then automatically seated next to her with Jon and Tanya across from them and Matt and Mel at each end of the table. Throughout dinner, it wasn’t uncomfortable but the group could see that Kim and Gerald didn’t know how to act with each other. They kept sneaking glances at each other throughout the meal.  The rest of the group just looked at each other, hoping that this will provide the opportunity for them to figure out how to fix their relationship.

Kim: Mel, this is really good. You are going to have to share the recipe with me.

Mel: See Matt. Kim likes my cooking.

Matt: Hey I didn’t say I didn’t like your cooking. I already ate 2 helpings. This is really good.

Gerald: Thank you Mel for dinner. It was really good. I miss home cooked food. (looking at Kim directly) This was great.

Mel: Wait till you see what’s for dessert.

Mel left the room and went to the kitchen to get dessert which was a homemade strawberry cheesecake.

Mel: Tada!

Matt: Finally!!! I have been trying to get a bite of this since I got home. She’s been slapping my hands away.

Mel: Guests first.

Matt: They are not guests. They are family.

Mel: Family first. (laughing)

Matt: I guess the husband doesn’t count as part of the ‘first’. (smiling at Mel)

Mel began to slice the cheesecake and served the pieces to everyone. Everyone just continued to talk minus Gerald and Kim. Gerald and Kim continued to sneak glances at each other.

Tanya: Okay! That’s it! I give up!! You two are killing me right now.  Mel. Matt. Thank you for dinner. Jon, let’s go home. I’m tired.  You two! (pointing at Gerald and Kim) Just have a conversation. I love you two and I know you love each other. I think you’ve had enough time apart. (kisses both of them on the cheek)

Kim: Wait. You’re leaving me?

Tanya: I’m leaving you. If you need me to come and pick you up, which I doubt, then I will. Otherwise, I’ll see you two back at campus. Mel and Matt, thank you so much once again. I love all of you. B, you ready to go?

Jon: (smiling) I love this girl. Bye guys.  Mel, dinner was awesome!

Gerald: Bye Tanya. Bye Jon.

Kim sat there in shock and realization hit that she had been set up.

Kim: Did you put Tanya up to this?

Gerald: Who me?

Kim: Yeah you!

Gerald: I didn’t put Tanya up to anything. I was invited here by Matt. He said Mel was going to be with family.

Kim: The girls were supposed to have a weekend together because Matt was going to be studying.

Kim and Gerald looked at each other and then looked at Matt and Mel.

Gerald: I think we’ve been set up.

Kim: Pinsan?!

Gerald: Bro?!

Matt: Good night guys. Mel and I are very tired. The bedroom is available.  The couch turns into a bed.  Take your choice.

Mel: Good night guys. Love you both. Sweet dreams.

Matt and Mel walked out of the room and went to their bedroom, leaving Kim and Gerald in shock in the middle of the living room. Gerald finally looked at Kim. Kim finally looked at Gerald. Both not knowing what to say or where to begin.