Chapter One Hundred Forty-Eight: Gift Giving

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

As Kim was sitting, getting her make-up done, there was a knock on the door. Ate Twinkle went to answer the door and there were several floral delivery people with vases of flowers on hand. Every flower was in the color of white: White mums, white gerber daisies, white roses, white cymbidium orchids, white dendrobium orchids, white phaleonopsis orchids, white lilies… If you could think of a white flower, it was in Kim’s bridal suite. After all the flowers were delivered, they all realized that no card came with the flower. Another knock was at the door, Ate Twinkle went to open the door and found Matt standing there.

Ate Twinkle: Hi Matt! What are you doing here?

Matt: I have a special delivery for Kim.

Mel: Hi sweetie!

Matt: Hi my gorgeous wife! (gives her a kiss on the lips)

Mel: Don’t mess up my make-up.  And by the way, you ain’t seen nothing yet!

Matt growled at Mel which made all the girls start laughing.

Matt: Hi Kim!

Kim: Hi Matt! How’s Gerald doing?

Matt: He’s pumped. If I can be honest, we thought he went AWOL this morning.

Kim: WHAT?!!

Matt: No! No! Don’t worry! The guys… we all woke up and couldn’t find Gerald. We went into a panic and left the room looking for Gerald all over the hotel.  We found him. He was jogging on the treadmill, working out in the gym.  I know! I know! We’re stupid. He was actually mad at us for thinking that. Which was stupid of us to think. He left a note and everything but we were such in a panic that we all raced all over the hotel looking for him, trying to call him on his cell which was in the room. I’m sorry but don’t worry. He really really REALLY wants to marry you.

Kim: (laughing) I don’t doubt that he wants to marry me. 

Matt: If this helps any, the most embarrassing thing about the situation was the fact that we all ran out of the room in our boxers. So Fred, Jon and I walked through the lobby back up the elevator with boxers on and Gerald laughing the whole way up. Kevin didn’t even know what was going on.  We left him asleep on the couch.

Everyone in the suite busted up laughing.

Tanya: You guys are idiots!

Matt: That’s what Gerald said. By the way, Gerald sent me to bring this to you Kim. And he hopes that you like the flowers. (finally looks around, seeing all the vases of flowers throughout the suite) Damn! That boy doesn’t do anything halfway!

Matt handed Kim a gift wrapped box with a card attached. Kim opened the card…

Dear Kimmy… my soon-to-be wife,

I have waited for today since we first met. Somehow I knew that you were special to me and that something meaningful had just happened to me. You have changed my life. My life seems brighter, more meaningful, happier and so much more vibrant because of you.  The love that I have been fortunate to receive from you is such a blessing. I cannot believe that I could be so lucky. I reflect on the past 4 years and smile at how the best years of my life happened because of you.  I remember seeing you for the first time and being blown away by your beauty and that bright smile that could light up any room.  I remember the first time we kissed. I knew I was branded for life. I remember the first time you said I love you. I wanted to hear it over and over again.

Kim, you have been everything to me. Today as we exchange vows, blessed vows repeated by many, know that I am saying them with every ounce of my being, with the sureness of the air I breathe and with the deepest love no one can fathom.  I look forward to seeing you walk down the aisle. I am trying to prepare myself for you and yet I know that you have always been my weakness. A weakness that makes me strong. A weakness that makes me stand proud. I just want to take this time to let you know how much I have been looking forward to this day. I also want to let you know how much I truly, madly, and deeply love you, heart, body and soul.  I will be the one standing proud at the altar, waiting for my gorgeous bride.

I love you,

Gerald

 

Kim looked up, through her tears, at everyone who has been standing in silence. Kim sat there speechless.

Mel: You are going to ruin your make-up. (smiling through her tears)  I don’t know what he wrote, but he made me cry. (laughing through her tears)

Mrs. Anderson: (through her tears) I agree with you Mel. Iha, open your gift.

Kim began to rip the wrapping paper off the gift. It was two square velvet jewelry boxes. When Kim opened the larger box, she gasped! There lay a beautiful pearl and all diamond oval necklace that was nestled in velvet with matching earrings. In the second velvet box, a matching bracelet sparkled at Kim.   When everyone saw what was in the velvet boxes, they all screamed in surprise.  The pieces were absolutely exquisite and matched Kim’s wedding dress to a tee.

Kim: This is… I don’t know what to say. I…

Kim burst into new tears.

Mrs. Anderson: Gerald wanted to get you something special for today. He said it had to make you feel like a princess.

Kim: I feel more like a queen. This is crazy! I… I… Wow!!

Mel: Oh my gosh! It’s absolutely gorgeous Kim.

Tanya: Homeboy has taste!

Matt: Like I said, nothing halfway. I will tell Gerald in detail your response. He’ll be pleased.

Kim: Actually, Matt, can you continue to play delivery boy? I was going to have whoever got ready first to deliver this to him.

Kim handed Matt a small box with a card attached.

Kim: Do you mind?

Matt: No. (bends down to give Kim a kiss on her forehead) You deserve everything Gerald has given you because you have given him more.

Kim: You're going to make me cry even more. Please tell him I love him and thank you.

Matt: Will do.

 

Matt left to return back to the guys’ suite.  

Matt: Bro! You made your woman cry like a baby. What you bought her was some major bling bling!

Gerald: (smiling) Did she like it?

Matt: Bro! She was speechless. Once she stopped crying, she would look at it again and would burst into new tears. Her make-up artist is starting all over right about now. So if your wedding is late, it’s all your fault. (laughing) Oh by the way… this is for you.

Gerald: For me?

Matt: Who else? Open the gift bro!

Gerald opened the card first…

Dear Gerald,

I can’t believe that we are here at this moment today. It is today. I can’t believe it! I wrote that didn’t I?

Babe, how did you become mine? It amazes me every time I look at you, every time you smile at me. Every time you say I love you. Your hugs warm me to my bones.  In your arms is where I feel the safest. Your simple touch electrifies me. Your kisses make me float on air. I know with every beat of my heart that you are my soul mate, the partner to my heart and match to my soul. You are my home and I cannot imagine my life without you. I can’t even remember my life before you. Nothing seemed to exist until you came along. I am so blessed to have you and know that today I will be walking up the aisle to you with the  full knowledge and sureness of every step that I want this with you. Today, in Christ’s name and love, I promise forever. Forever your support. Forever your love. Forever yours.

I love you…

Truly… Madly… Deeply,

Kim

 

Gerald: (looking up with tears in his eyes)  That girl just kills me sometimes.

Matt: Open your gift bro.

Gerald slowly opened his gift and recognized the emblem on the box. It was a Rolex. When Gerald opened the box, he saw the watch that he was looking at when they were picking up watches for their dads. It was the Rolex Daytona Oyster Perpetual White in Stainless Steel and Oyster. When he looked underneath the watch, there it was engraved… Truly… Madly… Deeply… Forever. It also had the date etched right underneath.

Gerald: How did she know?

Jon: That girl is so in tuned with  you. Damn, man, your watch is pretty tight.

Gerald: Yeah… it’s tight and it fits perfectly. That woman. I… I … Damn wow…

Matt: Hey bro! It’s time to get dressed.

The guys got dressed in their Armani tuxedos with vest and tie. The groomsmen had black vests with hot pink ties.  Gerald also wore a black Armani tuxedo however with a white vest and tie. The men looked very handsome and quite dapper in their tuxes. They finally headed downstairs to the lobby of the hotel where the wedding photographer began taking pictures with the wedding photographer. Gerald’s parents and extended family were there waiting in the lobby as well. Soon enough, they climbed into a white Mercedes limo which took them to the National Shrine of St. Francis of Assisi.