Chapter Seventy: Interview Day

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

Kim woke up at her normal time and went downstairs to have breakfast. She found Mr. & Mrs. Anderson there having breakfast and reading the paper. 

 

Kim: Good morning Tito & Tita!

 

Mr. Anderson: Good morning Kim. (hands her a newspaper) To catch up on the world.

 

Mrs. Anderson: Good morning iha. How did you enjoy yesterday?

 

Kim: Thank you Tito.  I want to see how the stock market is doing today.  (to Mrs. Anderson) Yesterday was absolutely amazing and I had a great tour guide.  I got to see the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Broadway and the Empire States Building.  Gerald took me to Little Italy to have dinner.  It was so good!!

 

Mr. Anderson: Wow! You guys definitely played tourist. So I hear that today is your interview for the internship. I wish you the best. Let me know how it goes.

 

Kim: Thank you Tito.  I will definitely let you know how it goes.  I was able to do some research of Andersons International.

 

Mr. Anderson: Why do research when I am right here?

 

Kim: True.  I didn’t want to bother you Tito.  (smiling)  I’m impressed with the company’s bio and growth chart.  I understand that there are plans in the making to enter into the Chinese market.

 

Mr. Anderson: You definitely did your homework!  I am impressed. I told you you were hired long time ago.

 

Kim: (laughing) I love your persistence and your constant support.  I’ll let you know what happens today.

 

Mrs. Anderson: Kim, you are definitely a strong woman that can hold her own.  Good luck today iha.

 

Kim: Thank you Tita.  If you will excuse me, I think I will go get ready.

 

Right as Kim was leaving to go back upstairs, Gerald was entering the breakfast area.

 

Gerald: (gives her a kiss) Good morning babe.  Where are you going?

 

Kim: Good morning! Thank goodness you slept well last night.  You look all happy this morning.

 

Gerald: (whispers) I wasn’t happy when I found your side of the bed empty.  You left me.

 

Kim: shh… I’m going back upstairs to get ready for my interview.  I don’t want to be late.

 

Gerald: Okay.  Take a long shower… maybe I will join you.

 

Kim: (playfully pushes him away) Behave!

 

Kim left the area and went upstairs to change.

 

Gerald: Good morning mom & dad!

 

Mr. Anderson: Good morning son!  You have definitely found a gem!

 

Mrs. Anderson: Hi Gerger.  And I agree with your daddy.  And someone slept well last night.  I am assuming that you found your teddy bear.

 

Mr. Anderson: huh?

Gerald: (laughing) I had to fight with the teddy bear in order to get the teddy bear to sleep next to me.

Mr. Anderson: (laughing) Now I understand.

Mrs. Anderson: (laughing) You are very lucky Gerald. We really love her.  She’s polite, intelligent, independent, strong Filipino values, and just all around nice person.

Mr. Anderson: So when’s the wedding?

Gerald: Right after she graduates.

Mrs. Anderson: Does she know that?

Gerald: Sort of.  She knows I want to marry her but we never talked when.  Do you think I’m too young to think this way?

Mr. Anderson: Normally I would say sow your wild oats but you’ve done that already.  You definitely started young on that one.  And if you lose her, I’m going to disown you and adopt her.

Mrs. Anderson: (laughing) That is exactly what I said to him yesterday.  I love you honey! (kisses her husband on the cheek)

Gerald: Great! I have 2 parents who would rather have Kim as their daughter then me as their son.

Mrs. Anderson: We love you Gerger.  We just love her too. (laughing)  I think our son is jealous of her girlfriend.

Gerald: (laughing) I don’t blame you and yes, I am jealous.  You are my parents and I love you guys! I’ve had you since before birth so I get you guys first. I better get ready before I get a lecture on being punctual at all times.

Gerald returns to the fifth floor and checks Kim bedroom to see if she is ready.  Kim was still in the bathroom so Gerald went to his bedroom to start getting ready.  When they were ready to leave, they met the driver in the driveway and headed towards the office.  Once they arrived, Gerald exited first and Kim left the car a few minutes later to prevent anyone seeing them get out of the car together.  Kim went to go to her interview, which went well.  They spoke with her for quite awhile and asked her a lot of questions. Once she was done, she texted Gerald to let him know she was finished.  She took the elevator down and was too busy texting that when she exited the elevator, she accidentally bumped into someone.

 Kim: oh my goodness! How clumsy of me! I am so sorry!

Guy: No harm. No foul.  Are you okay?

Kim: I’m fine. (Kim finally looks up to find herself looking straight at a handsome guy) Are you okay?

Guy: I’m okay.  Like I said no worries.  (He finally gets a good look at Kim and thinks to himself – This girl is absolutely gorgeous!) Hi! I’m James Uy.

Kim: Kimberly Chiu. (shakes hands with James)

James: Do you work here? I don’t think I have ever seen you around. Believe I would have noticed.

Kim: (blushes) No, not yet, I don’t think.  I just came from my interview to get an internship with the company.

James: Well I wish you luck.  It would be disastrous for the company if you weren’t hired.

Kim: (laughing) You are so dramatic. And why would it be disastrous?

James: Well… I am sure you are intelligent given that you have printed in your folio several articles on Andersons International.  And it would be a shame if I didn’t get to know you much better.

Kim: (laughing) I see. Well, it was nice to meet you James.  I have to go.  My boyfriend is waiting for me.

James: Aaah… the dreaded ‘B’ word.  No chance, huh?

Kim: I’m sorry. Absolutely no chance but it was nice meeting you even though I pretty much ran you down.

James:  It was the best running over experience I ever had so thank you. (smiling and puts his hand out) It was nice to meet you again.

Kim puts out her hand to shake his hand but when James took her hand, instead of shaking it, he brought Kim’s hand to his lips and kissed it. Kim didn’t know that Gerald just came out of the elevator when this happened. Gerald went to stand next to them.

Gerald: James. (ignoring Kim and shakes James’ hand) It is good to see you.

James: Gerald.  You are back in New York.  When did you arrive?  Are you back to work yet?

Gerald: I just got back 2 days ago.  I won’t be back to work until next week.

James: Excuse me, where are my manners.  Gerald, this is Kimberly Chiu.  We accidentally bumped into each other outside of the elevator.  She just came from an interview with your company.

Gerald: (looks at Kim with no expression) It is nice to meet you. (shakes Kim’s hand) I hope your interview went well. It’s a great company to work for.

Kim: (looks at him curiously) Nice to meet you too sir. My interview went well and I hope to hear from them soon.  Excuse me, I need to meet up with someone. Nice meeting you again James.

Both Gerald and James watched Kim walk away.

James: Man, what a knockout.  She is absolutely gorgeous.  She can knock into me any day.

Gerald: So you guys just bumped into each other just now.

James:  Yes, she was too busy texting her boyfriend that she wasn’t watching where she was going when she exited the elevator. It’s too bad that she has a boyfriend. Regardless, I hope she gets a job here because it would be great to get to know her.

Gerald: So she has a boyfriend.

James: Hey, don’t get any ideas. I saw her first.  And yes, she has a boyfriend.  She basically told me that I had no chance but hey, you never know. Plus, you can’t be in the running. From what I hear from the rumor mill, you are deep in love, man. So what happened to the playah of New York?  Many women are going to be left disappointed.

Gerald: Well… I found the one person worth staying with. Definitely deep in love.  I will introduce to you one day my girlfriend. She’s definitely a knockout.

James: Is she here with you in New York?

Gerald: Yes. I better go because I know she is waiting for me.  Take care James and stay away from girls with boyfriends. You are just going to create trouble for yourself.

James: (laughing)  True. True. Good advice man. Take care and I’ll see you around the office.

When Gerald arrived at their town car, Kim was already sitting inside with her arms crossed. Gerald went in to try to kiss her and she turned her head away.

Gerald: Babe… what’s wrong?

Kim: Why did you treat me that way?

Gerald: You told me to pretend that I don’t know you.

Kim: Yeah… but I could tell that you were mad.  Are you mad?

Gerald: Yes… I was mad and very jealous because I saw James kissing your hand.

Kim: (smiling) You were jealous?

Gerald: Yes. (pulls Kim closer to him)

Driver: Excuse me sir.  Where to?

Gerald: Where to babe?

Kim: I would like to change clothes first before we do anything else. I should have brought some clothes to change into.

Gerald: Let’s return to the house Jenkins and then we will probably go out again.

Kim: Thank you Jenkins. So back to what you were saying. You were jealous? (smiling)

Gerald: Yes I was.  I saw him kissing your hand.

Kim: I went to shake his hand and he kissed it instead. I didn’t do anything. And plus, isn’t it a gentleman thing to do.

Gerald: James is no gentleman. I know. I’m really glad you told him that you had a boyfriend and that he has no chance.

Kim: Humph… so that’s why you are not mad anymore because of what I told him?

Gerald: Well…

Kim: Do you not trust me? (looking at him curiously)

Gerald: I do but it to get off the elevator and find some handsome guy kissing your girl’s hand.

Kim: He was handsome.

Gerald: Kim…

Kim: But you’re my hottie! (laughing)

Gerald: Much better… James wants to meet my girlfriend.

Kim: He can meet me when it is close to the end of summer. Okay?

Gerald: Well once you get the job, you are going to need to find a way to stay away from him. Okay.

Kim: Babe. What if I end up working closely with him? I can’t do that. I am there to work not play. Got it?

Gerald: We’ll cross that bridge when we get there.