Chapter One Hundred: First Anniversary

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

Two weeks later on a Friday night…

Kim was home at their apartment with Tanya. They were hanging out in the kitchen.  Tanya was watching Kim prepare dinner for Gerald and her. Gerald had not come home yet.

Tanya: Sis! I can’t believe you and Gerald have been together for a year already.  It went by fast. Though to be honest, it seems like you guys have been together forever.  I can’t seem to remember a time when you were not with him.  Does that make sense?

Kim: I hear you sis. It sounds corny but my life started with him. And if I think about everything that has happened this past year, damn, we did so much.  I did more this past year than I have done in my lifetime and probably anyone else’s lifetime that I know.

Tanya: I hear you sis…

Kim: Think about it – We did Philippines, New York, Big Sur just 2 weeks ago, China, Tahoe.  This is crazy.

Tanya: You found yourself a jackpot sis.

Kim: Yeah but we can go to all these fancy places but Gerald doesn’t have a problem shopping at Target or eating at a hole in the wall.  He has no airs about him but can act like he’s rich when he needs it.

Tanya: Do you know where he is right now?

Kim: No.  To be honest, I haven’t seen him since this morning.  He called earlier and said that he will be home in time for dinner.

Tanya: Talking about dinner. I need to go.  I am going to meet Jon for dinner.

Kim: Aren’t you guys going to end up eating late because it is already 6:30pm?

Tanya: He’s going to meet me halfway. He’s going to take Bart and we are going to meet in Walnut Creek to have dinner there.

Kim: Sounds like a plan. You better get going. You know how Friday traffic is.

Tanya: Yes… and I need to leave you alone with your man. 

Heard someone knocking on the door…

Tanya: Are you expecting anyone?

Kim: Other than Gerald, no.

Tanya went to open the door and was faced with a huge bouquet of flowers.

Kim: Who is it Tanya?

Tanya: I don’t know but all I see is flowers galore.

Kim: Huh? (heads over to the door)

Tanya: Can we help you?

Guy: Ma’am. Special delivery for Kimberly Chiu.

Kim: I’m Kimberly. Thank you!

Guy: We’re not done ma’am. (hands her the arrangement of flowers)

Kim: Huh?

The guy walked back to his truck.  Kim noticed another truck and 3 other guys unloading the trucks. There were so many flowers. Some of their neighbors also noticed what was going on and was watching them unload all these flower arrangements out of the trucks. Kim and Tanya just stood back in silent shock on their front steps watching these four guys delivery all these flowers into their townhouse.

Tanya: Sis… like I said you hit the jackpot.

Kim: This guy… (tears streaming down her face)

Tanya: (hugs Kim towards her side) You love him don’t you? I know you do. But sis, you really, truly love him,

Kim: Beyond anything imaginable.  He said to me that he didn’t want flowers to remind me of his stupidity and that he would find another reason to give me flowers. The boy is crazy.

Tanya: Crazy about you sis.

Neighbors were clapping when the delivery guys finished unloading their trucks.  Kim and Tanya woke up from their shocked state and looked back inside their town home and saw a garden.  Once the delivery trucks drove off, Gerald was standing in the middle of the parking lot with a dozen of pink roses and a big grin on his face.

Tanya: Sis… that’s my cue to go.  Love you guys.  (yells toward to Gerald) You’re the man, Gerald! Happy Anniversary! (turns back to Kim and gives her a big hug) Congratulations sis! Love ya!

Kim: (without breaking eye contact with Gerald)  Love you too sis! Give my love to Jon!

Tanya ran up to Gerald and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Gerald: (without breaking eye contact with Kim) Drive carefully Tanya.  Say hi to Jon.

Tanya: Bye guys!(laughing)

The neighbors were still watching Gerald in the middle of the parking lot with this huge bouquet of pink flowers looking at Kim.  It was looking like a tennis match.  They would look at Kim to see her reaction and then they would look at Gerald to see his reaction. It was like this for awhile. Gerald finally broke the silence.

Gerald: Hi babe! Honey I am home.

Kim: Hi babe.  I was wondering where you went.

Gerald: Just picking flowers for you. Happy Anniversary!

Gerald finally started walking towards her. He stood in front of Kim and just looked at her. Kim just launched herself into his arms amidst the thundering applause of their neighbors. Kim and Gerald looked up and started laughing.

Gerald: (yelling to their neighbors) Thank you everyone!! Just wanted to let me girl know how much I love her! Good night and have a great weekend!

Amidst aaawwws and more applause, Gerald didn’t lose hold of Kim and carried her back into their townhome.

Kim: (whispering) Happy anniversary baby…

Gerald: (kisses Kim without losing hold of her) It’s been a great year.

Kim: I agree. Good and not so good. The flowers are beautiful. Thank you!

Gerald: You’re welcome. What smells good?

Kim: (pushes off of Gerald) Oh my gosh! Dinner! (runs to the kitchen)

Gerald: Do you need help?

Kim: (yelling from the kitchen) No.  I got this taken care of. Dinner will be ready soon. (emerges from the kitchen) I thought I burned dinner but it’s actually perfect. (grabs Gerald’s hand and leads him to the dining room) Come follow me.

Gerald: (once in the dining room) Wow!

The dining room was lit completely by candles.  There were trays of hors d’oeuvres set on the buffet table.  Kim was opening up a bottle of wine in order to pour Gerald a glass.

Kim: (handed Gerald a glass of wine) Enjoy the hors d’oeuvres and I’ll be back with dinner. Okay? 

Gerald enjoyed melon wrapped in prosciutto, shrimp cocktail, fresh fruit and some skewered chicken with peanut sauce. Kim then began bringing out salad for the two of them, and two plates covered in silver domes.

Gerald: Woah! What is this?

Kim: Dinner is served. (goes to Gerald and grabs his hand and leads him to where she wanted him to sit)

Gerald: Babe, this looks absolutely delicious.

Kim: You’re just looking at the salad. Wait until you uncover what I made. I just hope you like it.

Gerald: I will love it! You’re a great cook so why would tonight be any different.

Kim: (serving him salad) You’ll see…

Gerald: The salad is great.  I am curious to see what you have under here.

Kim: Are you ready?

Gerald: Yes, please.

Kim: Great manners. (laughing and uncovering both their meals)

Kim made filet mignon wrapped in bacon, steamed lobster with a lemon butter sauce, wild rice and steamed vegetables.

Gerald: WOW!!! Now this is dinner! I’m really glad we didn’t go out for dinner.

Kim: Happy anniversary baby.  Bon appetit!

Gerald and Kim enjoyed their anniversary dinner together. They couldn’t stop sneaking glances at each other throughout dinner.

Gerald: Why do I feel like I am trying to steal glances at someone I have a crush on?

Kim: (laughing) I was thinking the same thing. What’s going on between us?

Gerald: I don’t know. It’s weird.

Kim: Why are you looking at me?

Gerald: I can’t look at you?

Kim: You can but why secretly?

Gerald: (laughing) I don’t know.  Why are you sneaking glances at me?

Kim: I don’t know. Maybe because you are.

Gerald: (grabs Kim’s hand and gets her to stand up) Come on.

Kim: Where are we going?

Gerald: Just to the living room. I want to be comfortable.

(They sit down on the couches next to each other)

Kim: I’m comfortable.  Are you comfortable?

Gerald: I’m comfortable. Are you comfortable?

Kim: What is going on between us? (laughing)

Gerald: I don’t know but we’re going to find out.

Kim: Okay. So what’s up?

Gerald: What’s on your on mind babe?

Kim: Honestly?

Gerald: Yes, honestly.

Kim: I guess I can’t believe it’s been a year when it has felt like forever. I guess sometimes I’m amazed that you are real and that you are mine.

Gerald: I was thinking the same thing. So why are we stealing glances?  We know we love each other.  We are comfortable with each other. We live together. We…

Kim: Stop right there!

Gerald: Are you acting shy with me?

Kim: I don’t know. I guess I was feeling that way.  Plus, I made you dinner and I was hoping that you liked it.

Gerald: I hated it that I ate everything off my plate. (sarcastically)

Kim: (playfully punches him) Hey!

Gerald: You know I loved it.  I was going to ask for seconds.

Kim: Let me get you seconds. (about to stand up until Gerald pulled her down) Ummph!

Gerald: Later. (touches Kim’s face to have her look at him) Dinner was absolutely delicious babe. Thank you!

Kim: (looking all shy) Thank you.

Gerald: See what I mean? Why all shy?

Kim: I don’t know.  Why are you feeling that way too?

Gerald: I don’t know.  I just wanted to look at you.  I guess I’m amazed that it’s our first anniversary.  I’m amazed that you love me despite my stupidity.

Kim: I love all of you. You know that.

Gerald: You just love my y body.

Kim: That too. (laughing)

Gerald: Hmmmm… maybe I should have taken you to the bedroom.

Kim: Before you go there… I have something for you.

Gerald: What?!

Kim: (she walked over to a drawer where she pulled out a small gift wrapped box and hands it over to Gerald) I hope you like it.

Gerald: Babe… you didn’t have to get me anything. You already made me dinner.

Kim: I wanted to give you something you would like and would remind you of our first year together.

Gerald: (opening his present) AN IPHONE 3G!!!

Kim: Do you like it?

Gerald: DO I LIKE IT!!! I LOVE IT!!! I haven’t had the time to go pick one up because they have been out of stock every time I tried. When and how did you get this?

Kim: I woke up early one morning, put on my jogging suit and went to the mall. It’s not completely hooked up so we need to do that tomorrow since you’re the person on the account but…

Kim took the phone from Gerald and pulled up the pictures portion and downloaded to the iPhone were pictures taken of the 2 of them from the past year. The last slide wasn’t a picture but a sign that said ‘Happy Anniversary Babe! I love you!’

Gerald: (grabbed Kim and hugged her really hard) I love you! This is the best babe! Wait! I have something for you!

Gerald ran to the bedroom and went into the bottom of the closet.

Gerald: Do you know how hard it is to hide things from you? You clean too thoroughly that I didn’t know where to hide your gift.

Kim: Babe… you already filled this house with flowers beyond. You spoil me enough that you don’t have to buy me anything.

Gerald: Well… I wanted something for you.  It’s simple but something that would remind you of our first year together.

Kim: (opening her present; inside was the signature Tiffany blue box) Tiffany’s!!!  (she then pulled out a charm bracelet) This is gorgeous babe!!!

Gerald: Well, each charm reminded me of something that happened in our first year: K padlock for Kim, G padlock for me, palm tree for the Philippines, taxi for New York, picnic basket for our picnic not only at Central Park but also when we came back here, house & key for us moving in together, suitcase for all our traveling, skier for our ski trip, cross for our love of God and I loveU charm because I do.

Kim: It’s beautiful babe.

Gerald: We can add to it if you want. I have the charm catalog for you to look at.

Kim: Babe. This is perfect.

Gerald: I’m not done yet. 

Kim: Huh?

Gerald goes back to his room and rummages through the closet. Gerald walked out of their bedroom with another Tiffany’s box.

Kim: Another Tiffany’s box?!

Gerald: I bought you the diamond jewelry for Christmas but I wanted to get you something more everyday because I noticed that you are too afraid to wear the whole collection on a daily basis. So, something you can wear everyday.

Kim: Babe… (opens the box and finds a complete set from the Tiffany’s Somerset collection – one silver woven ring with diamonds, silver woven hoop earrings and 3 silver woven bangles)  I love it!!!! (hugs Gerald) You are too much! I feel like you are building me a jewelry collection.

Gerald: Definitely.  We can exchange it if you want.

Kim: No way!!  I love my gifts but more so I love you and am thankful for our first year together.

Gerald: (goes and gets their wine glasses) To my beautiful woman… many more years of us to come…

Kim: Many more baby… You know… I do have another gift for you. (smiling at him mischievously)

Gerald: (looks at Kim questioningly) You already got me an iPhone. What more can you give me? (then understanding dawns on him) More arsenal?

Kim: More arsenal. (nodding her head)

Gerald and Kim enjoyed their 1st year anniversary together. Though simple was their celebration, all they needed was to be with each other. They stayed home the entire weekend and didn’t emerge until Monday when they had to go to class…