Chapter One Hundred Forty: A Year with INSEAD

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

 

Before they knew it, Kim and Gerald were in class for 2 weeks in Fontainebleu. During that time, they stayed at a small apartment near campus. They were immersed in classes that addressed management leadership during the two weeks they were in session. They were pleased with their classes and impressed with their professors and classmates.  After the first 2 weeks, they resumed work at Andersons International in Paris. They were busy with school and the projects school proposed they work on.  However, the holidays was looming in both of their minds since they were both far from home and there were no plans for them to go home for the holidays.

 

One late evening in bed…

 

Kim: Babe? Are you asleep?

 

Gerald: Almost… why? Is something on your mind?

 

Kim: Thanksgiving is coming up and then there’s Christmas.  We never talked about plans to go home. Are we spending it here?

 

Gerald: I don’t know. What would you like to do?

 

Kim: I am beginning to feel weird that Thanksgiving is coming up and we’re not with our family and then when you think Thanksgiving, you know Christmas is around the corner. Are we going to fly back and forth? That seems wasteful. What do you think?

 

Gerald: I am torn.  I don’t know if I want to travel so much back and forth with work but at the same time we can go home. I don’t see it as a problem.

 

Kim: You know babe… you are right. Why don’t we just stay here for the holidays?

 

Gerald: How about this… let’s celebrate Thanksgiving here but go home for Christmas. We just need to make sure we return the day after Christmas because classes resume on January 5th.

 

Kim: That sounds like a plan!  Are we going to Missouri? California? New York?

 

Gerald: I say I call my parents and brother and ask them to meet us at your family’s house for Christmas.  They would enjoy being with your family.

 

Kim: I think that’s a great idea!!

 

Gerald: I’ll have my secretary make arrangements first thing tomorrow morning.

 

Kim: Thank you babe! So for Thanksgiving. Do they celebrate Thanksgiving here in France?

 

Gerald: I don’t think so babe… well, you never know…

 

Kim: Why don’t we invite our friends for dinner here and I’ll cook Thanksgiving dinner?

 

Gerald: Now that sounds good – stuffing???

 

Kim: Definitely stuffing – I’ll make you your own batch.

 

Gerald: Now you see why I want to marry you.

 

Kim: Sira! Go to sleep stuffing head. I love you!

 

Gerald: I love you too… (yawns) Come here, teddy bear. (squeezes Kim close to him and falls asleep)

 

 

It was an interesting time for Kim and Gerald being in France for school but not really going to school.  Their classes were in 1 or 2 week increments throughout the year with usually a month in between the sessions.  In between, they worked at Andersons International offices in Paris and lived at their apartment near St. Eustache. Thanksgiving was nearing and they could not help but laugh when they invited some of their friends to come over for Thanksgiving dinner. Most of their friends were confused about the American tradition but were definitely interested in this Thanksgiving dinner with Kim and Gerald. The dinner went without a hitch and everyone had a great time especially understanding the meaning of the celebration.  Everyone especially enjoyed the meal that Kim cooked and were pleasantly surprised of her talents.

 

Soon enough it was almost time for Christmas.  They flew back to California and met up with Gerald’s and Kim’s family.  Though the time was short, they enjoyed the Chiu family’s traditions as a combined family. The Andersons were so happy to have joined Kim’s family. Mrs. Anderson enjoyed it especially since it has been awhile since she cooked, which she decided to help do for their Christmas Eve into Christmas menu. Right after Christmas, Gerald and Kim had to fly back to France because classes were going to start right after the New York.  They spent New Year’s Eve hanging out near the Eiffel Tower with a lot of Parisians heralding in the new year amidst the twinkling lights of the tower. It was such a romantic time with many people picnicking waiting for the new year to arrive.

 

Time flew by quickly and they were back in school for their second session still in Fontainebleu.  There next session was going to be in Singapore. Gerald and Kim were looking forward to what was in store for them and their classmates in Singapore.

 

One night as they were packing…

 

Gerald: Hey babe?

 

Kim: Yes?

 

Gerald: Have you seen my brown sweater?

 

Kim was sitting on the floor, organizing her clothes that needed to be packed into her luggage.

 

Kim: Are you talking about this brown sweater that I have on? (looking at Gerald sheepishly)

 

Gerald: (laughing) Yes. That brown sweater that I happen to love and there is my y fiancée wearing it.  You know… you look pretty hot wearing that sweater.  What do you have under there? You don’t seem to be wearing pants right now.

 

Kim: Gerald – focus! Focus! We need to finish packing. Our flight is early tomorrow morning so we need to basically leave our place at the crack of dawn.

 

Gerald: Well… it is not my fault that you look hot in my sweater. By the way, why are you wearing my sweater? Not that I mind.

 

Kim: I don’t know. I love the feel of the sweater and how comfortable it is. Plus your smell is on it. 

 

Gerald: Why? You love my smell on you? (smiling at Kim wickedly)

 

Kim: (raises her eyebrow at him) Do you have a problem with that?

 

Gerald: (smiling at Kim) No I don’t have a problem. But I do want to pack the sweater. I should just come over there and take it off.

 

Kim: No! I’m comfortable. Leave me alone.

 

Gerald: (stands over her) Never. I will never leave you alone. (pulls Kim up to her feet)

 

Gerald pulled Kim into an embrace, smelling her in the neck, leaving a trail of butterfly kisses. Kim wrapped her arms around Gerald’s waist and just sighed.

 

Kim: What am I going to do with you?

 

Gerald: Love me forever?

 

Kim: That’s a given baby. (looking up into his eyes)

 

Gerald: Every time you look at me, you take my breath away. How did I get so lucky?

 

Kim: I think I’m the lucky one in this relationship.

 

Gerald: Baby… you don’t know how much you make my life complete and even more brilliant.

 

Kim: I love you baby.  We should get back to packing.

 

Gerald: I love you too but I want to hold you for a while.

 

Kim: Why are you sentimental all of a sudden? (smiling up at Gerald)

 

Gerald: I don’t know.  I’m just looking at you, thinking how beautiful you are and your wearing just my sweater, looking quite y in it, if I might add. You’re mine. We are about to leave for Singapore. I am living my life with you, experiencing life with you by my side and I’m just happy.  And what’s even better is that I know that in 1 year and 4 months, you are going to be my wife for life.

 

Kim: Baby… (puts her head on Gerald’s chest)

 

Gerald: I know… the feeling is pretty intense and its never diminished since I first met you. It’s only grown. Sometimes I love you is not enough and yet there are no words…

 

Kim: I know what you mean.

 

Gerald: Okay… I’ll stop now because we need to leave for Singapore early tomorrow. Let’s finished. We’re almost done anyways. Give me a kiss first.

 

Kim looked up to Gerald and leaned back, just enjoying looking at Gerald’s eyes.  She then tiptoed and captured Gerald’s lips with her hers and melted into him.

 

Kim and Gerald eventually finished packing.  They headed to Singapore for a session in their MBA program, focusing on the global economy. They stayed there for 2 weeks before they returned to Paris.  They continued this rotation between Fontainebleu and Singapore for the remainder of their year with INSEAD focusing on all aspects of business: strategy, financial management, data analysis and other subjects which strengthened their business savvy. It was a challenging time for the both of them but they worked through their classes and their responsibilities at work together. Both Kim and Gerald were top students at INSEAD. And they were each heavily involved with the growth of the company in Europe. They made a powerful team and were successful in both arenas.   Before they knew it, their time at INSEAD was coming to an end right before the Christmas once again. Both of their families were flying up to France to attend their graduations. Even Matt, Mel, Tanya and Jon were coming to help celebrate their graduations from INSEAD. Everyone was excited.